Press Conference: Atalanta (H)

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
You know how they are going to go already.

Try for a minute to imagine Shaw raciing up the left wing at a thundering pace to get near the halfway line - when he gets about there he will stop and put his foot on the ball, run back wards and pass it backwards -or if you are really lucky sideways.
Count how many times he does it for one reason or another
There’s a lot that could be talked about in this thread and I like Shaw generally but this does stand out.

At times, you’d swear Shaws right foot is connected to a circuit that will electrocute him if it contacts the football.

That sounds minor (though it really isn’t - any professional footballer (let alone a United player) should be able to use both feet) but it actually creates issues because of how bad it is. He pauses (opponents close in), he rotates his body position (we used to laugh at Smalling for this?) and then side-foots a left footed pass to a CH… who now has an opponent bearing down on him because they know what’s going to happen if Shaws progress down the wing is closed off.

What should happen is Shaw makes a 10-20 yard simple pass to a midfielder… with his right foot.

Rant over, it’s not the top priority (or even the top 20), just odd that not been sorted.

Swiss_Red89

I think this was a good presser from Ole, despite him being under pressure. He handled the questions very well. Let's hope this transforms onto the pitch.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's a shame, because I think he handles himself very well in these press conferences. Says all the right things and comes across as quite intelligent, reasoned and confident.

Then we get on the pitch and you're reminded we're an absolute shambles.
i’ve always said he’s a good manager but a bad coach. clearly the coaching and tactical side is letting him down. we should get better coaches and some body who can read a game better to help guide him through matches.

I really don’t think Phelan is the right ass man for him, but perhaps the only way he knows is the fergie way.

frostbite

Ole:

"We've progressed over the years. Sixth when I was here for half a season, then third, second, you can see the progress, the development, the improvement.
Yes, it seems like progress. But after spending 400 million, this is still behind the second place with 81 points that Mourinho got, so it is actually regress. And Mourinho won a couple of trophies, too.

frostbite

i’ve always said he’s a good manager but a bad coach. clearly the coaching and tactical side is letting him down. we should get better coaches and some body who can read a game better to help guide him through matches.

I really don’t think Phelan is the right ass man for him, but perhaps the only way he knows is the fergie way.

What you are saying is that Ole is no good at managing a football team, he is only good in public relations. That's a different job.

Coops73

Yeah, I don’t get it at all. There is literally nothing Ole can say now that won’t be picked apart and used to slag him off. What possible enjoyment can anyone get from doing that? If they know in advance that whatever he says in a press conference will piss them off, why are they opening this thread? Fecking masochists.
It’s just another excuse for the “I told you so’s” to moan about him and while I’m not sure he can take us any further, wading into him every other post and digging him out over a couple of questions asked in a press conference just gets fecking tedious.

Hopefully he can turn things around, I personally don’t think he can but I hope to be proved wrong, I’m not going to call him a cnut or crap on about how he can’t manage etc. he’s moved this club and team on in a positive way over the last couple of years in my opinion but whether he can get any success from that is another thing.

AndySmith1990

Maybe you're right, but if you're a world class coach or assistant manager, why would you work under a manager who is less qualified and less experienced than you, just to help "guide" him? Surely it's the manager who should be guiding the people who work for him.

Doing all we can to prop up Solskjaer and hide his weaknesses feels like nepotism to me.

NewYorkRed

I really don’t care what he says in press conferences; he always says the right things. I want to see it on the pitch, and sadly I don’t see us improving. I don’t care if we win the next few games or not, I want to see better performances. I have lost all faith in Ole.

Nicolarra90

There’s a lot that could be talked about in this thread and I like Shaw generally but this does stand out.

At times, you’d swear Shaws right foot is connected to a circuit that will electrocute him if it contacts the football.

That sounds minor (though it really isn’t - any professional footballer (let alone a United player) should be able to use both feet) but it actually creates issues because of how bad it is. He pauses (opponents close in), he rotates his body position (we used to laugh at Smalling for this?) and then side-foots a left footed pass to a CH… who now has an opponent bearing down on him because they know what’s going to happen if Shaws progress down the wing is closed off.

What should happen is Shaw makes a 10-20 yard simple pass to a midfielder… with his right foot.

Rant over, it’s not the top priority (or even the top 20), just odd that not been sorted.
Addressing that. Our fullbacks are a major concern for me.
As I write this walker scores for city, and cancelo scored the last one.
I can't see our fullbacks doing that. They are ball carriers, but are mediocre at crosses, and useless at shooting, specially Shaw.
They offer almost none attacking threat so everybody knows they don't need to take the ball away from them, because they can't finish so everybody worries about blocking the passing options and they have no other option than a backpass.

Nicolarra90

Yes, it seems like progress. But after spending 400 million, this is still behind the second place with 81 points that Mourinho got, so it is actually regress. And Mourinho won a couple of trophies, too.
And after about 1bn spent seems a regression since 2012-2013 SAF last title....

Nonsense comparison.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Thought that was a pretty good presser. Liked that he had Rashy with him. Even more that he adressed the blown out comment about where Marcus' focus should be.

He must have not said a lot wrong since the thread is barely 1 1/2 pages long.

LoneStar

Go on then, what would you have said if you were in his position?
Admitting that things are not working fine? Not talking as if it's a small blip when the whole season so far has been very poor.

He says he gets United and it's fans. Then why can't be be real with us? Not asking him to admit it's his fault, but at least acknowledge that we are in a shit position so far and that he'll try his best?

LDUred

I'm a fan of Ole and I hope he can turn this around, but it's looking bleak.

I've predicted this to end 1-1 because I can't see how he can address the problems we're faced with and the options he's stuck with.

I am not sure whether he is to blame for the transfers over the summer, but the squad seems imbalanced with plenty of options up front and a lack of bodies and quality in midfield, which is the most important area of the pitch.

We've been harping on about Fred and McTom for ages, but it seems as if he has overestimated their qualities and thought we could scrape by with them.

Last edited:

Oranges038

You can sense the journos just circling now, god I hate them
These pressers are totally pointless.

Journalists come in with an agenda looking for an angle to generate click bait and they ask shit questions to get it.

It's like the guy after the Tyson Fury fight asking him if he was going to fall into a depression again. What the hell has that got to do with the fight he just won?

Rotten bunch of cnuts.

Hughie77

Ollys on a hiding to nothing, in what he comes out with, I think he's brought the negativity on himself, and your only as good as your last game, and look how that went.
Next 2 games can rectify something and that's 2 positive results and performance, nothing less and he's back under the microscope.

Nicolarra90

Yes, obviously it is a regression since SAF's last title, is this even a question???
It was another absurd statement just like yours.

You are comparing unrelated things.
The points tally in a season is determined by many factors that make impossible to compare one season to another.
Because then you are saying that the season we won the PL with 78 or around this points is worse than Mourinho 81 points and I'm sure you agree that's ridiculous.

So what can you actually compare.
1. League position. It stands the same. Always one winner, always top 4.
2. How far were you from the best. It's not the same being over 10 points from the best than being below 5 points from them.

It's not about defending Ole, attacking mou or whatever
It's about knowing how to interpret statistics.

Adam-Utd

What you are saying is that Ole is no good at managing a football team, he is only good in public relations. That's a different job.
He's good at managing the player side, but perhaps could be better tactically?
Maybe you're right, but if you're a world class coach or assistant manager, why would you work under a manager who is less qualified and less experienced than you, just to help "guide" him? Surely it's the manager who should be guiding the people who work for him.

Doing all we can to prop up Solskjaer and hide his weaknesses feels like nepotism to me.
I think football is evolving away from the 1 man does all like in the past.

Fergie himself rarely actually coached the side, he said himself it's more than 1 man can ever handle. He left the training to Muelensteen and Quieroz before that.

There's plenty of young coaches who would love to be assistant manager at such an illustrious club. Some coaches will be great on the pitch but not want to deal with the player to player side of things, or face the press etc.

Other sports like the NFL have different management structures, I don't see why football can't.

If Ole could hire somebody to get the football slicker then we'd all be happy right?

E-mal

It's a shame, because I think he handles himself very well in these press conferences. Says all the right things and comes across as quite intelligent, reasoned and confident.

Characteristics of a fraud.

izec

We've progressed results wise, but we wont progress this season. He will get the season anyway, and we will most likely regress, we wont finish second and a trophy is not in sight either. All that after acquiring Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho plus no improvement on the pitch.

E-mal

I am not a fan of him as a coach and I hope he gets sacked sooner rather than later. What's the point of delaying the inevitable?
You can coat shit in sugar but it's still shit.

croadyman

Like I said in a post yesterday it finally dawned on me that the reason he didn't bring in experienced coaches is because he didn't want someone who knew what they were doing in that field exposing his flaws

croadyman

We've progressed results wise, but we wont progress this season. He will get the season anyway, and we will most likely regress, we wont finish second and a trophy is not in sight either. All that after acquiring Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho plus no improvement on the pitch.
He gets the season we could well lose some of our top players and I'm not joking

All the journos being mundane then Dharmesh Sheth comes on basically says “what do you think about Jamie Charragher saying your crap and Man Utd need a better manager if they’re going to win the league or Champions League:lol: :lol:

AFC NimbleThumb

This is the major reason I was saying those that were yelling ‘progress’ simply based on League finishes were doing him a disservice. We’ve been awful this season but could have improved on last season & been bested by Chelsea or Liverpool.

This season has been worse than anyone would have anticipated & there’s no sign of us even stagnating in league position so by many fans defences, he’s looking like failing.

Adam-Utd

Like I said in a post yesterday it finally dawned on me that the reason he didn't bring in experienced coaches is because he didn't want someone who knew what they were doing in that field exposing his flaws
Lets be honest Ole has literally modelled his managerial career on Fergie. From speeches to tactics etc.

Getting Phelan was the blueprint to copying his style, but unfortunately it doesn't work so well in the modern day.

croadyman

Lets be honest Ole has literally modelled his managerial career on Fergie. From speeches to tactics etc.

Getting Phelan was the blueprint to copying his style, but unfortunately it doesn't work so well in the modern day.
So if that was the case then why didn't he ever follow Fergie's lead and bring in people who knew what they were doing

Red00012

Ole on Rashford Headlines

“Good afternoon, boys. Just to get the elephant out of the room straight away, we know the headlines that came after the Leicester game,” the manager told reporters before a question was asked. “We are so unbelievably proud of what Marcus has done on and off the pitch.

“You know what I said and you made a headline out of one little comment that I never intended to be the focus of what I was saying. I was saying it must be nice for the boy to focus on going into training and not feeling his ankle, or his shoulder or his back.

“Now he can just go and enjoy his football, and I think you all know that. So, there are no more questions on that one, or you can ask Marcus about it, but I just wanted to start with that one to get it out of the way.”

Rashford on loss vs Leicester

You know, I think at a club like Manchester United, as soon as you lose a game, this is what happens. I think for us as players, we have to just go back to basics, we have to look at ourselves and see what we can do better. We’ve had the conversation as a team, as we would do whether we win a game or lose a game. We know that the next game is another opportunity to improve and that’s the aim."

Ole on coaching staff

Every team will go through a patchy period, we are in one now, we know that.
"The coaching staff we have got is absolutely amazing, the attention to detail, training sessions, preparations. I don't think I could ask for better.
"They are Manchester United people with intention of helping the team grow."
"What I've done? As with every game we analyse the game, look at we have to improve on. But you move on quickly, which is Atalanta.
"We focus on what we need to be good at."

Rashford on conversations after defeat

"Yeah, but it’s not only after defeats, even after some games when we win and we know that we’ve not played well. It’s as important, if not more important to have the conversation after those because you want to nip it in the bud as soon as possible.
"Especially in the Premier League, you have to defend well, I don’t talk just about the back four and goalkeeper, as a team you have to defend as one. Against Leicester, it was just too open, it’s as simple as that. They’re a good footballing team, as there are a lot of them out there.
"It was too easy for them to break through us, it’s something we’ve analysed and we’re going to do our best not to let it happen again. The game tomorrow is a perfect opportunity for us to show that."

Ole on Ronaldos pressing

"We have got 11 players out there with different roles. We put a team out we think will win a game, if we don't win there will always be criticism.
"He is doing everything he can to help the team."

What would be a succesful season:

Ole:
"It is not a jovial happy camp, they are focused and determined. Conceding four goals is a big eye-opener for us."

Rashford: I think for us, as players, we want to win silverware, and the staff as well, everyone wants to win trophies, but there are steps you have to take to get there, you don’t just win the trophies overnight. We’ve been on this journey a while now, it’s taking a while to get there, we’ve come close a lot of times. We have to find the difference between coming close and getting our hands on trophies. But after the period we’re in now, it’s the next games that counts, we don’t want to look too far ahead."

Feel safe in the job?

Ole:

"We've progressed over the years. Sixth when I was here for half a season, then third, second, you can see the progress, the development, the improvement.
"This season, we still want to improve. We've signed some players that have raised expectations. Other teams have signed players and improved as well. We're in the same boat as all of the top teams. "There's pressure all of the time, there's pressure on me, of course. We've been under pressure before but come through it. I'm just looking forward to the response now and, as you said, I'm in dialogue with the club all of the time, so that's an open and honest discussion.
"After every game, we look through the game, we analyse the game, we look at what we did well and what we didn't do well. You move on quickly to the next opponent.
"It's Atalanta, it's a different opposition, a different competition, and we focus on what we need to be good at in this game.
"And as I've said there's been loads of stuff that hasn't been good enough lately and we've put a few things right and hopefully tomorrow we can see the result from that with a good performance."

Carragher comments:

Ole:

"I prefer not to watch them two!
"It doesn’t affect me but of course you see some of the comments, we’ve got Liverpool on Sunday as well so Jamie is always looking at these little things.
"I’ve got my values, my way of managing, I believe in myself, as long as the club believes in me, I'm pretty sure Jamie Carragher’s opinion isn’t going to change that."

Atlanta:

Ole:

I am very impressed by their way, their style, the way they develop players. The manager is clearly very strong.
"Of course we signed Amad and watched them quite a lot. They have an attacking philosophy which many fans of football would like."

Rashford:

"I think they have a very aggressive style of play, I’d say, both in attacking and defensive situations. It’s a team [which is] definitely going to be a tough game. It’s going to be an intense game but it’s the type of test that we want, it’s the type of test that we’re going to thrive off and I believe that this game can bring the best out of our players, so hopefully we get the tough game that we want and show people what we can do."
You could have also put up the team news he spoke about :D

KetilOwren88

I really don’t care what he says in press conferences; he always says the right things. I want to see it on the pitch, and sadly I don’t see us improving. I don’t care if we win the next few games or not, I want to see better performances. I have lost all faith in Ole.
This. I don’t know what people expect Ole to say in his pressers. He will never throw his players or staff under the bus, especially not now. Of course he could be more direct, demanding and less diplomatic, but we’re had managers that did the opposite and people got annoyed by that too. Talk is cheap. It’s what happens on the pitch that counts, and Atalanta is a must win by any means. Ole is nowhere near as weak and unambitious as many people like to think, but that doesn’t mean he is the right man for the job. Of course, I still want him to succeed.

Daengophile

Ole: "I don't think I could ask for better"

Then why are we so porous at the back and bewildered up front?

Strelok

He always say the right things, but not always do the right things. That's the problem.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Thought that was a pretty good presser. Liked that he had Rashy with him. Even more that he adressed the blown out comment about where Marcus' focus should be.

He must have not said a lot wrong since the thread is barely 1 1/2 pages long.
No. I really don’t want to be disrespectful against you or others who likes him but that press conference was a total train wreck of answers. I will also explain why.

1. The elephant in the room is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer himself and his results. Trying to shift focus just pisses his critics off even more and as you see the critical questions didn’t stop there.

2. His answers about his coaching staff was also so bad that he just made the situation worse. Why answer such a question in the first place and why use so much yada yada drivel.

Just so I make one thing clear. Ole or any other coach with some sort of authority has no obligation whatsoever to answer stupid questions. Just do a Bill Belichick. (HC New England Patriots - NFL) Point blanc move on and talk about the game or just stay still say nothing. Stare the question down by your own silence or in some cases just rolling your eyes.

3. Most of yesterday’s questions were disrespectful (against Ole and his team) and offensive in their nature and the best way to deal with shitty intensions is to ignore them and talk about the upcoming game. Don’t walk into a dark room where you have no vision or no control.

Ole must learn how to take command in such situations and to dictate the narrative to his favor. Same philosophy as when you answer critical questions from your wife or partner. Never ever try to defend yourself (or your results) with long explanations. Silence is always your best answer when you’re in bad situations.

When the time is coming I really want Ole to step down on his own terms.

Long answers can never explain bad results. Don’t play the victim card. Try not to ask for sympathy.
It’s simple. When things are shit, results sucks and the sacking is near then just stay silence. Let others do the talking. Focus on just improve the results and for the love of God stop answering stupid questions with even more stupid answers.

Adam-Utd

So if that was the case then why didn't he ever follow Fergie's lead and bring in people who knew what they were doing
Well because he's not fergie is he? I don't think he realises where he's going wrong.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Stare the question down by your own silence or in some cases just rolling your eyes.
"Clueless Ole has no answers to hard questions in press conference" - Every pundit, opinionated fan and news outlet

We're just going to disagree with the perception you have of handling questions in todays media climate.

MattofManchester

You know what I said and you made a headline out of one little comment that I never intended to be the focus of what I was saying. I was saying it must be nice for the boy to focus on going into training and not feeling his ankle, or his shoulder or his back.
Except, he did say it?
That is the problem. He should never have even stepped foot into that territory with the comment he made. There was absolutely no need.
A little too late to try and backtrack.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
No. I really don’t want to be disrespectful against you or others who likes him but that press conference was a total train wreck of answers. I will also explain why.

1. The elephant in the room is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer himself and his results. Trying to shift focus just pisses his critics off even more and as you see the critical questions didn’t stop there.

2. His answers about his coaching staff was also so bad that he just made the situation worse. Why answer such a question in the first place and why use so much yada yada drivel.

Just so I make one thing clear. Ole or any other coach with some sort of authority has no obligation whatsoever to answer stupid questions. Just do a Bill Belichick. (HC New England Patriots - NFL) Point blanc move on and talk about the game or just stay still say nothing. Stare the question down by your own silence or in some cases just rolling your eyes.

3. Most of yesterday’s questions were disrespectful (against Ole and his team) and offensive in their nature and the best way to deal with shitty intensions is to ignore them and talk about the upcoming game. Don’t walk into a dark room where you have no vision or no control.

Ole must learn how to take command in such situations and to dictate the narrative to his favor. Same philosophy as when you answer critical questions from your wife or partner. Never ever try to defend yourself (or your results) with long explanations. Silence is always your best answer when you’re in bad situations.

When the time is coming I really want Ole to step down on his own terms.

Long answers can never explain bad results. Don’t play the victim card. Try not to ask for sympathy.
It’s simple. When things are shit, results sucks and the sacking is near then just stay silence. Let others do the talking. Focus on just improve the results and for the love of God stop answering stupid questions with even more stupid answers.
This is not necessarily the best advice. I get more violent when the husband is quiet especially on game day. Don't listen to this advice boys, unless you want to end up dead and buried under the front porch.

Artimities

We played like shite against Liecester, but to be fair.. 2 of their goals were just being in the right place at the right time. Overall, I think we will be ok, but today is a must show display. Watching these other teams put 3-5 goals on the board.... means we need to do the same. If we can build momentum, we can beat Liverpool this weekend and everything is back to normal for the time being.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Just so I make one thing clear. Ole or any other coach with some sort of authority has no obligation whatsoever to answer stupid questions. Point blanc move on and talk about the game or just stay still say nothing. Stare the question down by your own silence or in some cases just rolling your eyes.

I struggled massively when dealing with the press and my wife asking critical questions, and while I think there is some merit to just staring silently at my wife when she asks about incognito mode, or rolling my eyes at the press when they question my firm commitment to a high line, sometimes you need a more verbose philosophy. These days when dealing with tricky questions from the media or loved ones I usually go with the Nigel Pearson school of thought, I find it almost impenetrable and I hope Ole takes note.