g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Press Leaks - What Purpose?

LiquidSnake

Just a friendly remainder about leaks that a lot of the leaks are from "middle man".

Of course clubs, agents and players themselves are briefing journos...

But I just want to say there's a loooot of close friends, women, girlfriends, club staff (especially physios that are close to players), even their barbers etc... That are talking directly or indirectly to journalists.

Just to say it's not always players (unhappy or not) or their agents that are literally talking to some newspapers.

As other have said, every big club has somewhat some leaks to the press, but as of now it's problematic for United because the club is in dire state and it generates a lot of click.

sugar_kane

Although the most obvious candidate is Lingard (and that would be my guess) due to his public tiff with Rangnick and lack of playing time (and likely connections with the English press) there's part of me that wonder if this is actually more a well connected source with no agenda who just wants to shit stir.

I half wondered if it could be one or two of the WAGS - it's quite conceivable their fella could come home from practice and have a general moan, take the piss, whatever and their partner mention it to a mate or the press directly.

The reason it makes me think it could be something like this is because this type of shit reflects more badly on the squad than it does Rangnick.

wise_old_man

ESPN are clickbait nonsense. They literally exist in football to generate noise.

United are different to other clubs, nobody cares about stories from Chelsea, Tottenham, City blah blah.

United sell, they generate clicks and make headlines. How fecking easy is it to compare Ted Lasso to Chris Armas ffs?

These stories always magically appear when there is nothing else going on in the world.
We are pretty much a midtable club these days, though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We are pretty much a midtable club these days, though.
In performance on the pitch sure, off the pitch? we are still huge. Hence why we are still the main press target.

wise_old_man

In performance on the pitch sure, off the pitch? we are still huge. Hence why we are still the main press target.
To a football club, it sadly all boils down to what we do on the pitch.

If we only act big off the pitch with nothing to show for on the pitch, that's the moment we have transformed into a financial/marketing company with football as a mere background theme instead of a football club.

clarkydaz

These co ordinated leaks come out around a day after Ralf supposedy gets Honigstein to help him with the press. I wouldnt be suprised if its the club, as they clearly want Poch, and to weaken Ralf revealing how the club operate

flappyjay

The bolded part is what you should focus on and realize that it's BS. Footballers aren't all buddies, they don't share all their thoughts with their teammates and it's highly unlikely that they organized a meeting to get on the same page when it comes to which manager they want or not. Journos don't know what the players want, they may know what a couple of players want because an agent, player or friend of player told them something, but they have know idea about what 20+ players want as a group.
Thats the one for me too. Did they seat and vote on it? How did he get that. For me United is one of the biggest sporting institutions and journalists use us for clicks. We tend to not believe 90% of their transfer news but quick to believe their negative news.

roseguy64

Luke Shaw said earlier that most of these reports aren't true. And he's likely right. There may be a grain of truth but a lot of it is embellished and distorted because it's second-hand information.

Mindhunter

It has little to do with strong leadership. When you win there is a lot less questions, let alone questions that could make headlines. If you win no one is writing an article about who should be your next manager, which club would be an upgrade for one of your star player or who is unhappy outside of players that lack playing time and in that case you hear that everywhere including United under SAF, Tevez was an example.
There are many clubs where players don't win everyday and yet we don't see these kind of media leaks. It isn't as simple as that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There are many clubs where players don't win everyday and yet we don't see these kind of media leaks. It isn't as simple as that.
Are you thinking about big clubs and do you follow them as closely? Because under Ancelotti Bayern had rumours about players organizing their own training sessions, there were rumors about players being unhappy with Kovacs, the same was true for Barcelona under pretty much every coaches since Luis Enrique, it's rumours/leaks that saw Mourinho lose it at Madrid, similar "leaks" happened at PSG with Emery and list goes on.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So Neville saying he knows who's leaking stuff, but because of journalistic integrity he won't name them. Surely someone can leak the name(s) of the person(s) in question.

Would be fun.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's all absolute bollocks.

Anyone that believes this crap is a fool :lol:

MrSingh2002

It's Luke Shaw.

It happens everytime a manager realises he's not the answer and understands he's not dedicated enough to get in shape.

choccy77

Given Gary Nevills comments, I'm certain, Jess Lingard and his brother and crew are responsible for some of the leaks, not to mention the PR spin after Ralf called him out for being a cry baby and needing time off.

I'd also say Luke Shaw wouldn't surprise me either, as he is also pretty useless on the pitch and Jose was right about him.

MrSingh2002

Every manager was right about Luke Shaw, Pochettino, Moyes, LVG, Jose, Rangnick.

Ole was the only one who believed "big boned" was a body type.