Prime Aguero vs Prime Suarez

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not wrong at all, for all his antics he was incredible at his peak. Very unconventional too, you would struggle to name a similar player.
In the Netherlands they had a nickname for Suarez because of how unconventional he was. It's like however difficult the situation, between 3/4 defenders, multiple bounces, the ball ended up at his feet anyway. :lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
No agrument for me, Suarez was better at his peak and has been better if you consider careers as well.

Suarez at his peak was 3rd behind Messi and Ronaldo, and would've won one or more Balon D'Ors had it not been for those two. At his peak he was scoring 30 goals and 20 assists a season, that's insane.

BlackShark_80

Suarez was the better player. Lewandowski would make a better comparison than Aguero.

Last edited:

Camilo

Aguero was nothing compared to Suarez.. How is this even a question?!

Baneofthegame

I wonder how Agüero would be rated if not for all the injuries. But when we’re talking reality, you have to pick Suarez any day except for May the 13th.

It’s him & Lewandowski (with Benzema lurking just behind) who are the best strikers of their era, by some margin.
Peak Aguero seemed to be injured for 3 months of the season but still finish near the top of the PL goal scoring chart, might be misremembering though.

Still picking Suarez all day.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Given Aguero's fitness record, Suarez. If he'd had a good fitness record it would have been Aguero for me, unbelievable goalscorer from a very young age.

Eddy_JukeZ

Suarez is easily better.

It's not really close.

He's a level above Aguero.

Tarrou

Suarez quite easily

Incredible player

Not that Aguero wasn't class, mind you

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Suárez was at least half a tier above Agüero (persistent injury issues notwithstanding), methinks — offered a bit more within the collective framework as he boasted irrepressible competitiveness and workrate and pressing ability from front, was more self-sacrificing and excelled with a potpourri of forwards at practically every stage of the sport (de Jong with Ajax, Forlán and Cavani with Uruguay, Sturridge and Sterling with Liverpool, Messi and Neymar with Barcelona), and also put in dominant performances at international level (like the 2011 Copa América).
  1. Luis Suárez
  2. Robert Lewandowski *
  3. Karim Benzema
  4. Sergio Agüero *
  5. Edinson Cavani
  6. Gonzalo Higuaín *
Phenomenal 3 year peak from 2013—16 where he was the top scorer in both the Premier League and La Liga to win 2 European Golden Boots (briefly disrupting the unprecedented Messi/Cristiano hegemony), best center-forward of the fairly illustrious 1987—88 cohort (while Agüero was more Top 5-ish), and among the foremost non-Cristiano/Messi footballers of the last 15-ish years with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Lahm, Modrić, Robben, Alves and Neuer.

* = functionally similar as strikers, and a bit less giving/generous than the other three. e.g. On top of being the 4th highest European Cup goalscorer and within range of being in the Top 5 for goalscoring in La Liga, Benzema has almost 100 La Liga assists and 27 European Cup assists — that's close to Xavi in terms of pure volume, and on that basis alone he earns a buncha brownie points.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is not much of a competition tbh.

Who is better - Lewandowski or Suarez?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Kun is my fave ever player but you have to take injuries into account which puts Suarez ahead and then pure will to win seals the deal.

I think in terms of skill there is very little if anything between them.

Suarez by the above.

I do wonder if Kun had pushed for the Barca move and went their instead of Suarez like the plan, if this convo would be different. I don't think it'd change anything at Barca in terms of success but the pl history would look very different which shows how close they are.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
This is not much of a competition tbh.

Who is better - Lewandowski or Suarez?
That's the discussion to be had, especially how Lewandowski has gone up to another level in the last 2 years. Before the start of the 2019/20 season there wouldn't be any question as to who is better, but the way Lewandowski has performed in these last two and a half seasons has lifted him to the conversation of the best striker of his era (outside of Ronaldo and Messi ofcourse).

I don't think the goalscoring stats per say, but I would think Lewandowski was the better goalscorer of the two, while Suarez was the better playmaker. Then you have more nuanced comparisons like strength, heading, technical ability etc, where they would cancel each other in those respects as well.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Suarez for me too. Aguero was class and Top10 player in the world at his best. But Suarez at his best was probably the best candidate for the best player in the world after Messi and Ronaldo.
He also did better for his country and in the CL, while Aguero never excelled in the same way he did in the PL.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Suarez for me too. Aguero was class and Top10 player in the world at his best. But Suarez at his best was probably the best candidate for the best player in the world after Messi and Ronaldo.
He also did better for his country and in the CL, while Aguero never excelled in the same way he did in the PL.
When was Aguero's peak?

JPRouve

Scout
True. Seems extremely influential in the Madrid best seasons than it initially seemed to the eye.
To me it was obvious but to be fair, it was an era where people started to put an emphasis on goals due to the Messi vs Ronaldo battle. In the mean time Benzema was consistently performing at a very high level supporting Ronaldo in a way that no other striker could and he quietly became Real Madrid best assist maker and a top 10 goalscorer.

Cloud7

Aguero at his peak was a monster, but prime Suarez was the third best player in the world over the last decade, and very close to Messi and Ronaldo

TheLiverBird

You’d almost think Aguero was an average player judging by this thread.

Suarez though of course was/is the better player.

JPRouve

Scout
Aguero at his peak was a monster, but prime Suarez was the third best player in the world over the last decade, and very close to Messi and Ronaldo
Ribéry and Robben seem to be forgotten.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
When was Aguero's peak?
Probably 2014-2016 in terms of consistency and I think he didn't have to deal with that many injuries during that time. But now you are saying it it's kind of difficult to point at a clear time when he was at his best and it's more when he had the least injuries. Also Suarez was completely unplayable during the same years so it makes the comparison even more one-sided for Suarez

JPRouve

Scout
Probably 2014-2016 in terms of consistency and I think he didn't have to deal with that many injuries during that time. But now you are saying it it's kind of difficult to point at a clear time when he was at his best and it's more when he had the least injuries. Also Suarez was completely unplayable during the same years so it makes the comparison even more one-sided for Suarez
I thought about that time too and I don't think that he is top 10. During 14-16 you have: Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Bale, Robben, Marcelo, Lewandowski, Iniesta, Kane or De Bruyne.

I put Kane above him because they had comparable goalscoring abilities but Kane was a more complete striker. In a way I put Aguero in the same category than Shevchenko, a great player but closer to the 15th-20th range during his era because there is also the likes of Godin, Diego Costa, Griezmann, Bonucci, Thiago Silva, Ibrahimovic, Benzema, Ribéry, Lahm, Neuer, Pirlo, Busquets, Alba or Hazard to consider.

KeanoMagicHat

I think Lewandowski has surpassed Suarez now as next best forward. But it’s close.

Both easily better than Aguero. Benzema also better than Aguero.

lex talionis

It actually is a reasonable debate, but I gave up give the edge to the sniveling twat.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Beyond club level (and Suarez’s exploits with Liverpool in 2013/2014 and then Barcelona in terms of goals and assists were incredible), Suarez has been clearly superior than Aguero at international level as well.

I despise Suarez, but never doubted his obvious talent.

KeanoMagicHat

Beyond club level (and Suarez’s exploits with Liverpool in 2013/2014 and then Barcelona in terms of goals and assists were incredible), Suarez has been clearly superior than Aguero at international level as well.

I despise Suarez, but never doubted his obvious talent.
Yep Aguero was a menace in the PL, against big teams too regularly. But he did feck all at international and CL level relative to the players he is compared with. The only reason he’s in that conversation is probably because of PL bias and familiarity.

TheLiverBird

I think Lewandowski has surpassed Suarez now as next best forward. But it’s close.

Both easily better than Aguero. Benzema also better than Aguero.
I don’t think he has surpassed Suarez, it’s certainly close between them stats wise but one area Suarez pushes forward is Assists. He didn’t just score insane amounts but would also regularly assist way into the double figures.

I actually haven’t watched all that much of Lewandowski either too be fair, seen highlights and the occasional games etc but I mainly just go off the stats with him.

Suarez was a weird footballer in the best possible way, he brought something I’d not really seen before in a player, he had that X factor like what Messi and Ronaldo have, not that he’s on their level but at his best imo he wasn’t far off from their level. He had a ridiculous ability to play 1-2 with his opponents…..where he’d literally consistently bounce the ball off of opposition players to get passed them, other players have obviously done such things before but Suarez had mastered it to an art and always left you thinking how the hell did he get through there…and then score.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Kun is my fave ever player but you have to take injuries into account which puts Suarez ahead and then pure will to win seals the deal.

I think in terms of skill there is very little if anything between them.

Suarez by the above.

I do wonder if Kun had pushed for the Barca move and went their instead of Suarez like the plan, if this convo would be different. I don't think it'd change anything at Barca in terms of success but the pl history would look very different which shows how close they are.

Without Aguero I don't think City would have won the 2011/12 league, he really took them to a different level. And it isn't just because of the Aguerooooo moment.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
No agrument for me, Suarez was better at his peak and has been better if you consider careers as well.

Suarez at his peak was 3rd behind Messi and Ronaldo, and would've won one or more Balon D'Ors had it not been for those two. At his peak he was scoring 30 goals and 20 assists a season, that's insane.
81 goal contribution in 2016. Mental.