Prime Hazard or Prime Salah?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Hazard being placed as being levels above Zidane, Iniesta and Figo, players who could still be a danger on the pitch at a late stage of their careers... enough internet for today, I guess.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This debate needs to be put to bed.

Lovely as hazard was to watch as a dribbler, the numbers tell the cold hard truth.

We’re now heading towards a Salah vs Henry debate.
That’ll never be one as a Henry was simply better. But I agree that Salah is comfortably ahead of Hazard now.

Hammondo

We are down to only Henry being better now as an attacking pl player?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Hazard being placed as being levels above Zidane, Iniesta and Figo, players who could still be a danger on the pitch at a late stage of their careers... enough internet for today, I guess.
He is incredibly overrated on redcafe, I don't see it anywhere near much outside of the cafe.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Would still take Henry over Salah. When comparing numbers you have to look at them relative to the era. Henry was top scorer 4 seasons while Salah has been once (twice joint). When looking at g+a Henry is 4 times top again with Salah top twice.

When it comes to Salah v Hazard, don't think it's a debate as Salah's consistent high level holds him above Hazard. Maybe Hazard had one or two seasons better than Salah but over time Salah's performances have him higher.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Just simply Salah > Hazard.

It’s really difficult to do prime comparison only while ignoring everything else. Hazard probably has better 10/10 in his prime game, but Salah is clearly better over his prime season or overall career.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He is incredibly overrated on redcafe, I don't see it anywhere near much outside of the cafe.
I never thought that addiction was that bad here at the cafe :D I think only some over the top Premier League fans will rate him that high.

Devil81

If Hazard was more professional with his fitness he'd be the better player, he didn't appear to me to be the in the correct shape all the time.

Neutral like Switzerland

...if Switzerland was in Liverpool
Supports
Orlando Pirates
Watching Salah yesterday he is such an outlet on their right wing and has been for years. And during bombardment of Newcastle goal you just think what if this Liverpool team also had a world class striker? If they had Kane yesterday instead of Darwin he would have put 5 past Newcastle easily on his own. And United in contrast are in this day and age stuck with Antony and fecking Martial.
Was thinking the same thing... Even them with the clinical Isak would be deadly...
Think they will strengthen in defense 1st before looking at attack.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
One has to wonder how good prime hazard would have been in this Liverpool side, perhaps brilliant but he always was a tad too lazy so maybe not a fit at all.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The only comparable metric is fear factor, otherwise these two would play in the same team and be complementary.

Salah has generated more fear over time in both the PL and CL. He's underrated still as he's not effortlessly associative of Henry and that class of player although it's his - well-earned - tier.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Interesting so Lampard is the greatest CM of all time in your eyes?
He's correct though. It's probably no coincidence that those golden Chelsea years coincided with Lampard banging them in every week. As good as Hazard was, Salah was/is more ruthless and impacts games far more.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What’s Lampard got to do with it? Read the thread title.
You said Salah was the better player out of these two because "goals win games", so going by the exact same logic Lampard is the best CM of all time.

Wilt

You said Salah was the better player out of these two because "goals win games", so going by the exact same logic Lampard is the best CM of all time.
In case you’re struggling to understand the thread title ….this has feck all to do with Lampard.

Cult of Personality

Hazard is a more enjoyable player to watch from a pure entertainment perspective. But professional/high level football is about winning. If you're a manager/coach, Salah is the more effective/reliable player of the two. He has a stronger mentality and level of professionalism. You know you're getting 20 PL goals a season from Salah.

Salah is actually underrated compared to a lot of other players this century. Or at least post 2010. I'd put him in an all-time PL XI. Ridiculous output.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He's correct though. It's probably no coincidence that those golden Chelsea years coincided with Lampard banging them in every week. As good as Hazard was, Salah was/is more ruthless and impacts games far more.
Without Hazard we don't win our last two titles.

For the record I would actually edge it to Salah due to his UCL performances but to cite goal/assists to play down Hazard like that poster is doing is incredibly lazy in my eyes, the goal below an example of what I mean, no goal or assist but without his contribution the attack doesn't even get off the ground let alone end up in the net.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
I'll give it a go:

---Gerrard-Makalele-Vieira---
Ronaldo---------------------Hazard
------------------Ruud------------------
---Gerrard---Viera---Scholes---
Salah-----------------------Ronaldo
------------------Henry------------------

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Was trying to go for players he didn't pick
Ah missed that.....ok, going on players not yet picked, I'll go with:

--Lampard-Keane-Toure--
Rooney--------------------Bale
--------------Shearer------------

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

For the record I would actually edge it to Salah due to his UCL performances but to cite goal/assists to play down Hazard like that poster is doing is incredibly lazy in my eyes, the goal below an example of what I mean, no goal or assist but without his contribution the attack doesn't even get off the ground let alone end up in the net.
Hazard and Salah are attackers and they are judged by their output which is Goals and assists. The reasons Messi and Ronaldo are the best attackers is the insane number of G+A they churned out consistently. I can't think of a highly rated attacker who didn't put up numbers

LawmanMan

Modern fans decide everything on statistics. But Hazard was a better player and a bigger influence at his peak.

LawmanMan

Henry
Robben - Cantona - Salah
Scholes - Keane

Who beats my PL front six?
Shearer
Robben Rooney Duff
Fabregas Keane

Would be pretty tasty. Robben and Duff in peak form were just terrifying.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Modern fans decide everything on statistics. But Hazard was a better player and a bigger influence at his peak.
Chelsea with Hazard only made the CL semi once, Pre Salah, Liverpool was non existent in recent times, since then they've made 3 CL finals
Hazard has 9 CL career goals half from penalties, In 2017/18 CL salah had 10 goals

BootsyCollins

You can think Salah is a better player than Hazard because of goals and at the same time think there are CM´s who scored less than Lampard that are better.
We dont compare everything on the same metrics.
So "goals win games" can be an argument for Salah and "punchable face prick" can be an argument agains Lampard.

LawmanMan

Who are the 5 players that will definitely undebateably be better than Salah in EPL history
Just as strikers: Shearer, Henry, Ruud, Rooney, Ronaldo. I’ll throw in Denis Bergkamp as a bonus.

Heck, he’s not even Liverpool’s best striker in terms of pure peak as Torres was a better player.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Hazard and Salah are attackers and they are judged by their output which is Goals and assists. The reasons Messi and Ronaldo are the best attackers is the insane number of G+A they churned out consistently. I can't think of a highly rated attacker who didn't put up numbers
In that case if its all down to goal stats how do you explain your club dropping Mario Gomez after 40 plus goal season?

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch

That goal still took an outrageous pass from Fabregas to happen

LawmanMan

Just to make this more interesting, how about this pre-PL “front six?”

Denis Law Kenny Dalglish
John Robertson Duncan Edwards Bobby Charlton George Best

I reckon they would score a fair number of goals over a season…

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Just as strikers: Shearer, Henry, Ruud, Rooney, Ronaldo. I’ll throw in Denis Bergkamp as a bonus.

Heck, he’s not even Liverpool’s best striker in terms of pure peak as Torres was a better player.
Salah has been a better PL player than every single player you mentioned bar Henry.

Torres was great at Liverpool but pretty sure Salah surpassed him as a Liverpool player after like 2 years there or something. They're not in the same tier at all. There's probably several tiers between them but I guess Liverpool fans can speak with more authority on that comparison.