Prime Hazard or Prime Salah?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Without Hazard we don't win our last two titles.

For the record I would actually edge it to Salah due to his UCL performances but to cite goal/assists to play down Hazard like that poster is doing is incredibly lazy in my eyes, the goal below an example of what I mean, no goal or assist but without his contribution the attack doesn't even get off the ground let alone end up in the net.

You can say the exact same of Salah whereby without his contribution there wouldn't be some Liverpool goals. Difference is he does have a lot more goal contributions in both the PL and CL than Hazard.

It's also a weird goal to reference as @Skills mentions it takes an outrageous assist from Fabregas to complete the move.

LawmanMan

Salah has been a better PL player than every single player you mentioned bar Henry.

Torres was great at Liverpool but pretty sure Salah surpassed him as a Liverpool player after like 2 years there or something. They're not in the same tier at all. There's probably several tiers between them but I guess Liverpool fans can speak with more authority on that comparison.
Not for me. I would pick any of that lot ahead of Salah. They were simply more impressive at their best. Remember, I am talking in terms of how good they were at peak rather than simply overall career-wise.

Torres was ruined by injury but before that he was simply outstanding. The speed, touch, the runs, he did things that simply can’t be taught. And he could do it against defenders at a far higher standard to current PL centre halves.

As I said before, for the people below, stats do not tell the story and Salah is simply not as good a footballer as the guys I’ve mentioned. How many goals would Shearer score in the modern PL against the substandard defenders? Henry would have a field day. RVN would be clever enough to take full advantage of the lax offside rules now. Bergkamp is simply on another level to Salah in terms of ability.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not for me. I would pick any of that lot ahead of Salah. They were simply more impressive at their best. Remember, I am talking in terms of how good they were at peak rather than simply overall career-wise.

Torres was ruined by injury but before that he was simply outstanding.
How? Salah averages 30+ goal contributions a season in the PL and his best one trumps most of them.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Salah's peak is basically his entire Liverpool career, so that's what we're referring to here. Some of the players you mentioned are close, I'm not saying Salah is miles clear of them, but his legacy is certified for me now. In my list of of all time PL players, I'd now only have Henry ahead of him.

RVN1991

Torres was ruined by injury but before that he was simply outstanding.
Salah at his best put up Cristiano/Henry level production. How was someone like Torres more impressive at his best as good as he was?

BeltUp

Supports
United
Hazard way more entertaining but Salah way more productive. I'd rather watch Hazard play but I'd probably pick Salah because he's more likely to win you trophies.

DennisReynolds

Torres isn't really that close to Salah. Súarez the only Liverpool forward who comes close to him at his peak in the Premier League.

Hammondo

Salah at his best put up Cristiano/Henry level production. How was someone like Torres more impressive at his best as good as he was?
Ronaldo in his PL days only had 1 season at the level of Salah in terms of production.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Torres was great, but never as good as Salah.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I prefer Hazard but Salah's end product cannot be denied.

A bit like preferring Federer over Djokovic

Sanchez7

I prefer Hazard but Salah's end product cannot be denied.

A bit like preferring Federer over Djokovic
Pretty much this. Hazard's dribbling was just so pleasing to the eye and on his day he was unplayable but statistically he can't match Salah's output.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You can say the exact same of Salah whereby without his contribution there wouldn't be some Liverpool goals. Difference is he does have a lot more goal contributions in both the PL and CL than Hazard.

It's also a weird goal to reference as @Skills mentions it takes an outrageous assist from Fabregas to complete the move.
And had Schurle squared it for someone else to tap it in would that lessen Fabregas involvement in the move?

Charlie Foley

Torres isn't really that close to Salah. Súarez the only Liverpool forward who comes close to him at his peak in the Premier League.
I somehow skipped the very obvious “Liverpool” because it’s the start of a new line on my phone, and thought you’d lost your mind :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He didn't though.
Point is you can have a heavy gamechanging impact on a goal despite it not going down on the stats.

That was the case multiple times for Hazard, he literally wiped out four players in that one move. Also a few weeks after that he had a genuine 10/10 performance against Swansea despite not getting any G/A.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Point is you can have a heavy gamechanging impact on a goal despite it not going down on the stats.

That was the case multiple times for Hazard, he literally wiped out four players in that one move. Also a few weeks after that he had a genuine 10/10 performance against Swansea despite not getting any G/A.
Yeah, and Salah does that too. Plus he has far more goal contributions than Hazard, in both the PL and CL.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Pretty much this. Hazard's dribbling was just so pleasing to the eye and on his day he was unplayable but statistically he can't match Salah's output.
In terms of stats and output Hazard couldn't match Salah.
In terms of professionalism Hazard couldn't match Salah. He didn't management his body and diet well for being a professional soccer player.
In terms of longevity Hazard couldn't match Salah either. Hazard is done basically at age 29, and Salah is still going strong.

Even though the question is Prime Hazard or Prime Salah, but it is hard to pick Hazard over Salah.

Suarez vs Salah or Henry vs Salah will be much more difficult to choose.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
In terms of professionalism Hazard couldn't match Salah. He didn't management his body and diet well for being a professional soccer player.
In terms of longevity Hazard couldn't match Salah either. Hazard is done basically at age 29, and Salah is still going strong.

Even though the question is Prime Hazard or Prime Salah, but it is hard to pick Hazard over Salah.

Suarez vs Salah or Henry vs Salah will be much more difficult to choose.
What makes Henry vs Salah that difficult?

Suarez vs Salah is difficult yes, think Suarez is better but Salah had a much better team which gave him the chance to do greater.

dazjoe

Prime Hazard for me. Overall there's no comparison, Salah by a mile. But the question isn't overall, it's them in their prime. And I just had a thing for Hazard more than Salah, he was stunning on his day (as is Salah true but it's all about personal choice).

Henry vs Salah is a weird question. It's Henry by an absolute landslide. He was completely unstoppable and on a different level to any other player in the league.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC

Salah made it at the highest level much older than Hazard though. I think he still has more "prime years", but not as much as it seems at first glance.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What makes Henry vs Salah that difficult?
same thing that makes Suarez vs Salah difficult? Same caliber of players

For the record, if we're talking prime, Suarez > Henry >= Salah

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
Prime Hazard accomplished absolutely nothing in CL even William looked more threatening + the PL was weak a major part during his his prime years(13-17) in that time period PL reached only 1 quarterfinal in total..

Last edited:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
same thing that makes Suarez vs Salah difficult? Same caliber of players

For the record, if we're talking prime, Suarez > Henry >= Salah
Don't think that's true at all, Salah has been one of the best players in the league for the past 4 years sure. Henry was a top 10 player in the world from at least 2001 till 2006, a whole different level.

Eddy_JukeZ

Don't think that's true at all, Salah has been one of the best players in the league for the past 4 years sure. Henry was a top 10 player in the world from at least 2001 till 2006, a whole different level.
Tbf, Salah's been one of the 10 best players in the world consistently since his debut Liverpool season.

I do think Henry is a level above Salah though.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Tbf, Salah's been one of the 10 best players in the world consistently since his debut Liverpool season.

I do think Henry is a level above Salah though.
Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Mbappe, Benzema, Lewandowski, Kane were better than him, sometimes all of them at the same time arguably. Not to mention midfielders/defenders/goalkeepers. Not here to slag off Salah or anything, I think he might come after Henry when it comes to PL Forwards, even potentially ahead of Ronaldo if Liverpool win the league this year.

Eddy_JukeZ

Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Mbappe, Benzema, Lewandowski, Kane were better than him, sometimes all of them at the same time arguably. Not to mention midfielders/defenders/goalkeepers. Not here to slag off Salah or anything, I think he might come after Henry when it comes to PL Forwards, even potentially ahead of Ronaldo if Liverpool win the league this year.
I don't think Ronaldo's been clearly better than Salah since like 2018(and I think it's close that season too). 2021 onwards, I think Salah's been better than him.

Agree on Neymar and Mbappe(though Neymar wouldn't make my list this season nor in 2021-2022). I'd agree on Benzema during his incredible CL season. Otherwise, it's very debatable removing that 1 special season from Benzema. Ask Benzema or Salah in 2017-2018 and the answer would be a landslide in Salah's favor. Agree on Lewandowski, but not for the past 2-3 seasons. Kane vs Salah is tricky. Debatable IMO.

Revan

Assumptionman
Salah and it is not particularly close. He has a good claim as the best EPL player of all time.

erikcred

Prime Hazard for me. Overall there's no comparison, Salah by a mile. But the question isn't overall, it's them in their prime. And I just had a thing for Hazard more than Salah, he was stunning on his day (as is Salah true but it's all about personal choice).

Henry vs Salah is a weird question. It's Henry by an absolute landslide. He was completely unstoppable and on a different level to any other player in the league.
There were entire games where I would just watch Hazard for most of it.

For Salah, I spend most matches going "how is this clumsy guy that highly regarded" and then there would be one or two insane finishes or assists out of nowhere that make me go "oh, that's why."

Suarez was also like that. Most of the time he was just a whirlwind of ball ricochets, but once or twice a match he'd do things that no one would even think of in the first place.

I agree with you on Henry. It's like he combined the best of both Hazard and Salah.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I don't think Ronaldo's been clearly better than Salah since like 2018(and I think it's close that season too). 2021 onwards, I think Salah's been better than him.

Agree on Neymar and Mbappe(though Neymar wouldn't make my list this season nor in 2021-2022). I'd agree on Benzema during his incredible CL season. Otherwise, it's very debatable removing that 1 special season from Benzema. Ask Benzema or Salah in 2017-2018 and the answer would be a landslide in Salah's favor. Agree on Lewandowski, but not for the past 2-3 seasons. Kane vs Salah is tricky. Debatable IMO.
Agree with most that you're saying, small margins. Maybe not Benzema since Ronaldo left Real Madrid, think that he was pretty much every bit as good as Salah from that period.

Salah has been ridiculous though, insane how much of a succes he has been for Liverpool.

mctrials23

Salah and I think Hazard was a fantastic player but Salah when hes in a purple patch is just sublime. Hes a huge part of the reason Liverpool have had the success they have over the past seasons. Hes better than Henry as well. Easily on target to be one of the best PL players ever. And those saying that defenders aren't as good these days is talking rubbish. Every area of the game has improved, defenders as well. The difference is tactics, fitness and pace of the game now. A moments lapse and you look like an absolute shambles because of how well drilled the top attacking units are.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Salah has been a top 10 player in the world for the past 6 years as well. You are seriously underrating him here

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
If you take an aggregate of the past 7yrs Salah will definitely be top 10 possibly top 5. I don't see how Kane would have been better than Salah. Benzema has many mediocre 3-4/10 seasons even terrible ones but had a couple of great 9/10 seasons. Salah has been consistently 7-8/10 since 2017

He has had 7 seasons of consistent 20+ goals competition

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think Salah has had a single poor season at Liverpool. Even his supposed below par seasons are usually judged against his best seasons but when you look at them and compare them to his peers, his below par seasons are actually excellent, excellent individual seasons.

marktan

I would take Hazard. Though it's close - both have things that are badly needed in the current United team.

A more unpopular opinion but at their peaks for one season I would take Mane over Salah. He was capable of absolute magic and is exactly the kind of wide forward I like - fast and could breeze pass people with ease. He was better in the season Liverpool won the title and I remember that CL final were Salah went off injured, Mane was attacking Real almost by himself.

Longevity Salah has it.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Henry-Salah-Suarez is essentially the same ballpark.

There would be good arguments for one or both edging Salah, but it isn’t outlandish to make a debate out of it as the gap between the three isn’t wide.

What is inarguable is that Salah is a good tier above Hazard.

And when you’re trying to compare Salah to Torres, then you’re either drunk or just trolling - a more even debate would be Torres vs Owen as they belong in the same ballpark. Salah is a good couple of levels above both.

antk

Salah has definitely been the most impactful player, but even if he's the lesser player in this comparison I think many here are underrating Hazard severely.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don't think Salah has had a single poor season at Liverpool. Even his supposed below par seasons are usually judged against his best seasons but when you look at them and compare them to his peers, his below par seasons are actually excellent, excellent individual seasons.
They're excellent statistically, but his overall play in his poor seasons was not good. He'd pop up with a goal or an assist but he did genuinely have poor seasons.