Music Prince

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
Does anyone like Prince? You don't have to like the man but musically i think he is good.

Anyway i have a question for any Prince fans or people with a mild interest in him or even Phil Collins because it concerns him too.

I don't know why i even care but in the song "Little Red Corvette" I'm almost positive that the backing vocals sang at around the 2:41 mark are sung by Phil Collins.

Does anyone agree or disagree, i've even tried to find out but i could never find out the truth! So if anyone would like to give me their opinions or can confirm or disconfirm this i would appreciate it. I need closure!

Dolphgb

Does anyone like Prince? You don't have to like the man but musically i think he is good.

Anyway i have a question for any Prince fans or people with a mild interest in him or even Phil Collins because it concerns him too.

I don't know why i even care but in the song "Little Red Corvette" I'm almost positive that the backing vocals sang at around the 2:41 mark are sung by Phil Collins.

Does anyone agree or disagree, i've even tried to find out but i could never find out the truth! So if anyone would like to give me their opinions or can confirm or disconfirm this i would appreciate it. I need closure!
Hi FV...

Phil Collins wasn't involved in Little Red Corvette.

He did have an influence on Prince in one way - Prince copied Phil Collins' drum booth and engineering setup in his Paisley Park studios after he saw how Collins had set it up, since he liked the sound he created on 'In The Air Tonight', but otherwise, the bald-headed lothario has had no other involvement on any Prince track.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
Hi FV...

Phil Collins wasn't involved in Little Red Corvette.

He did have an influence on Prince in one way - Prince copied Phil Collins' drum booth and engineering setup in his Paisley Park studios after he saw how Collins had set it up, since he liked the sound he created on 'In The Air Tonight', but otherwise, the bald-headed lothario has had no other involvement on any Prince track.
Yeah but i know that in the 60's 70's and 80's that when a musician was doing an album or recording stuff and they had some sort of respect for the person they would often just come in and do a vocal or play something without taking any credit for it.

Who is it singing backing vocals for that part of the song because i can't think of anyone else but Phil Collins. It sounds just like him!

Dolphgb

Yeah but i know that in the 60's 70's and 80's that when a musician was doing an album or recording stuff and they had some sort of respect for the person they would often just come in and do a vocal or play something without taking any credit for it.

Who is it singing backing vocals for that part of the song because i can't think of anyone else but Phil Collins. It sounds just like him!
The entire song was sung by Prince (including multi-tracked backing vocals) and Lisa Coleman (backing only). Dez Dickerson performed the much-lauded guitar solo.

Tibs

Purple Rain, The Most Beautiful Girl in the World, Gold, When Doves Cry

Red_Aaron

the entire purple rain album is brilliant with when doves, darlin nicky and i would die 4U as personal faves

Sign of the times, raspberry beret, little red corvette also class

didn't really like his new power generation phase (except for the brilliant gett off) and haven;t heard ay of his most recent stuff - is it any good?

Dolphgb

Damn it. Well it sure as shit is NOT prince singing at that exact time. All he says is "got to slow down".

I guess i'll just have to meet either Prince or Phil Collins and it would be the only question i would ask.
I double-checked with a mate of mine. We both know a lot about the diminuitive one...

I was right except that Dez Dickerson also added some backing vocals. The voice you're hearing that you think is Mr. Collins is, in fact, Dez Dickerson.

Dez was in Prince's band at the time (which went on to become The Revolution) and it was he that did the guitar solo too...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Great interview with Prince's technician here. The guy was amazingly talented and passionate about music. Rogers very dedicated to be recording stuff on his schedule too. 24 hour sessions and the like. Sounds turbulent too, like he took too much of her life. Hope he appreciated what she did for him.
https://tapeop.com/interviews/117/susan-rogers/

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The Prince catalogue is over-saturated but you can find a lot of gems in there, definitely one of the best musicians of all time, the man could do practically everything!

TBH I lost interest in his albums after Diamonds and Pearls.

Anything decent after that? He went a bit potty.
Love Symbol album is pretty good, after that he went off the rails because he was trying to get out of his contract by releasing any old shit.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Thanks for posting this, a fantastic read.
No worries. Brilliant insight isn't it? Rogers has really worked her way up in a difficult career. I guess getting the Prince gig so early helps a lot but she worked so hard and it sounded like she hustled to get there. She seems infatuated with him too.

Dan

No worries. Brilliant insight isn't it? Rogers has really worked her way up in a difficult career. I guess getting the Prince gig so early helps a lot but she worked so hard and it sounded like she hustled to get there. She seems infatuated with him too.
I’ve read some interviews with her before, but nothing that in depth. It does sound like he has thousands of songs recorded, I just hope the archives are in good shape.

paulscholes18

The Prince catalogue is over-saturated but you can find a lot of gems in there, definitely one of the best musicians of all time, the man could do practically everything!

Love Symbol album is pretty good, after that he went off the rails because he was trying to get out of his contract by releasing any old shit.
:lol: Quoting a 10 year old post, that must be some kind of record

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’ve read some interviews with her before, but nothing that in depth. It does sound like he has thousands of songs recorded, I just hope the archives are in good shape.
If the guy was making a song a day, and had a mobile studio set up while touring...there must be so many. Crazy that her favourite one only just got released. Must be some great stuff hidden somewhere.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Sign o‘ the Times is an incredible album and the title track my favorite song from him.