Private Jets.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Only idiots would buy jets (unless you're flying 5 times a week) or if you're worth 100's of millions if not billions.
To be fair wealthy people are a bit silly, why would you purchase a car worth millions when a Renault 5 will do the same job.

diarm

If I was Sanchez I would spend as much money as physically possible so as not to die of shame every time I looked at my bank balance.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
To be fair wealthy people are a bit silly, why would you purchase a car worth millions when a Renault 5 will do the same job.
Not quite the same thing though? If you rent the jet when you need it then you're still riding in the jet, just saving yourself 10-100m as well as the upkeep - whereas a car you're more likely to drive daily, even then the few wealthy people I know still lease those!

The only person I personally know who threw money at toys and paid cash was a lottery winner, he delivers parcels for DHL now...

FujiVice

David Beckham has houses in several countries and business interests in several continents. It makes more sense for him to have a private jet than anyone.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Not saying they can’t, but it doesn’t make any sense as a purchase.
To be honest, footballers seem like the ideal candidates for "owning" one. Most will love the concept, and fall for the allure, even if the economics make no sense.

That said, most private planes are pool planes really (even if one of the pool has specified the configuration/décor). More like timeshares. Or at least the planes are out working on rental when their owners aren't using them.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
If I'm not mistaken, the jets are often managed by companies that provide parking, pilots and mechanics among other things.
This is true. You pay a company to have your personalized jet and they arrange for pilots, maintenance, etc. The price usually depends on the luxury of the jet and the availability time on the contract (they usually have a minimum time frame to arrange a jet).

A propeller private plane is less expensive, for example, but it also only short to low-medium distance flights.

The pilots are usually former air force pilots or some commercial pilots on part-time if their companies allow them to have parallel activities (some companies do not allow it).

To be honest, footballers seem like the ideal candidates for "owning" one. Most will love the concept, and fall for the allure, even if the economics make no sense.

That said, most private planes are pool planes really (even if one of the pool has specified the configuration/décor). More like timeshares. Or at least the planes are out working on rental when their owners aren't using them.
Ronaldo does own one but it is available for rental - https://www.flyvictor.com/en-us/aircraft-operators/global-jet-luxembourg/EC-KBC/

Supposedly Messi bought his but it's also available for hire.

Most of those in that list just rent them.

Here is the one Ibrahimovic rents - https://www.flyvictor.com/en-gb/aircraft-operators/aeropartner/OK-HAR/
Pogba is in a different one each time he is pictured. So are most of the others.

A second hand private jet isn't that expensive for footballers salaries. It's not like they're flying around in $70 million G650s.

royce987

Ronaldo does own one but it is available for rental - https://www.flyvictor.com/en-us/aircraft-operators/global-jet-luxembourg/EC-KBC/

Supposedly Messi bought his but it's also available for hire.

Most of those in that list just rent them.

Here is the one Ibrahimovic rents - https://www.flyvictor.com/en-gb/aircraft-operators/aeropartner/OK-HAR/
Pogba is in a different one each time he is pictured. So are most of the others.

A second hand private jet isn't that expensive for footballers salaries. It's not like they're flying around in $70 million G650s.
It is more expensive for Ronaldo to buy a small second hand jet, than to charter new top of the range Global 7500. I do not understand why a footballer, who is playing football most of the year would waste money buying one.
https://www.vistajet.com/en/private-jets/global-7500/

Foxbatt

If I'm not mistaken, the jets are often managed by companies that provide parking, pilots and mechanics among other things.
Spot on. Usually it's also managed by companies. This makes it cheaper for insurance and maintenance costs. They ( the companies) can charter it out to other clients too. Depending on the amount of hours it's being used by other clients it may be even free to use by the owner as the owner gets certain number of free hours then. In reality how many hours can a playing footballer would get to fly? Not much. So if they have an aircraft and they give it out to a private jet management company it's fully worth for them.
It's interesting that Ronaldo has a long range new model jet while the others are having shorter range and older models. I would think Messi and Neymar would go for the extra range aircraft rather than Ronaldo.
They would not be paying the whole thing upfront most probably anyway. The owning is the cheaper part. Operating is the expensive bit.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah Ronaldo earns 31M EUR a year from football but you can guarantee he's bringing in a feckload more.

Edit: Just checked and he brought in 95.7M EUR in 2019.
They probably all have invested loads of money in shares as well. You can easily get 10-20 % even if you are imbecile. More likely they have financial advisers that make them much more. More like 20-40% at least on shares.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
They probably all have invested loads of money in shares as well. You can easily get 10-20 % even if you are imbecile. More likely they have financial advisers that make them much more. More like 20-40% at least on shares.
20-40% annual returns on shares? That's very unlikely - unless they're lending money out like Wonga etc or angel investing.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
20-40% annual returns on shares? That's very unlikely - unless they're lending money out like Wonga etc or angel investing.
Have you invested in shares?

I started last month and (I know this is the best time to invest) I have had return of around 16% in less then a month.

I dont think 20% in unrealistic. 40 maybe, but not 20.

royce987

Rubbish, warren buffett has earned the title of "Oracle of Omaha", since Berkshire Hathaway has averaged about 20% a year since 1965, making him the greatest investor of all time. So you are wrong that an Imbecile can achieve 20%. Most financial advisers/fund managers can only keep up with the market.

Though I doubt footballers are putting all their money into growth investments. The sharemarket can deliver great long term returns, but as we are seeing right now it can also deliver large short term. Not great when you have such a short career.

An interesting Athlete investor is Shaq, who has become the franchise king.

https://money.com/shaq-business-empire/

mav_9me

I started last month and (I know this is the best time to invest) I have had return of around 16% in less then a month.

Mate timing is everything. You have caught things at the right time. Since November even I have made a load of money. Doesn't mean people get 20% returns all the time. I certainly don't expect it.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I'm still a little surprised tbh, they're wealthy but not private jet levels of wealth. Pogba for instance makes 15M or so a year and his jet costs 25M just to buy - let alone hangar costs, maintenance, fuel, crew wages etc. I guess image rights, sponsorships etc. pull in a lot more than I thought.

It's like someone who's making 40k GBP a year buying a Merc S class.
You're also hanging on the fact that its a new jet and they actually own it.

I would say apart from Ronaldo and Messi, most of these jets are probably second hand ex fleet jets and cost roughly 1/3 to 50% of original market value. Give them a coat of paint, refresh the interior and suddenly they look brand new. More so, I would say they are all leased and none of them actually own them.

Keep in mind that there is huge depreciation in these things (much like boats), so the second hand market is often flooded with good quality used products.

Not sure if any of you know who Mick Doohan is but he's a former motogp world champion and made a career after sport, buying, selling and leasing these things and made decent money as a rider, is now worth shitloads doing this.

:lol: you're in for a rude awakening.

The S&P500 averages around 7% per year.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Mate timing is everything. You have caught things at the right time. Since November even I have made a load of money. Doesn't mean people get 20% returns all the time. I certainly don't expect it.
Timing is everything, but the poster I quoted said it like you can get 20%-40% annually, at a time like this, 15%+ is certainly achievable but it's a volatile market, be careful what you invest.

Most footballer advisors would advise footballers to invest their money in relatively "boring" stocks, shares, bonds etc just to "beat" inflation and maintain their wealth, perhaps make a little on top - any advisor telling footballers to risk all their wealth for 40% gains wouldn't be a good advisor.

I'm happy that you've made a little money by the way - well done!

@Madridista2000 see above, definitely congrats on your wins.

Red00012

There’s about 15 windows on one side of Rooneys jet yet the article says it can hold up to 6 people. :lol:

mav_9me

Timing is everything, but the poster I quoted said it like you can get 20%-40% annually, at a time like this, 15%+ is certainly achievable but it's a volatile market, be careful what you invest.

Most footballer advisors would advise footballers to invest their money in relatively "boring" stocks, shares, bonds etc just to "beat" inflation and maintain their wealth, perhaps make a little on top - any advisor telling footballers to risk all their wealth for 40% gains wouldn't be a good advisor.

I'm happy that you've made a little money by the way - well done!

@Madridista2000 see above, definitely congrats on your wins.
100% agree with you.

I got lucky that I got in during the bull run end of last year.

20% returns are not realistic at all. I'm not sure you could make that much even if you are active.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
100% agree with you.

I got lucky that I got in during the bull run end of last year.

20% returns are not realistic at all. I'm not sure you could make that much even if you are active.
It's always good to have a little luck on your side!

I'd love to start investing but I have no income that I can invest that I wouldn't mind potentially losing - need to get a decent job with decent pay so I can start taking advantage of the market.

Should have paid more attention in school. :(

mav_9me

It's always good to have a little luck on your side!

I'd love to start investing but I have no income that I can invest that I wouldn't mind potentially losing - need to get a decent job with decent pay so I can start taking advantage of the market.

Should have paid more attention in school. :(
Your time will come. I remember about 6 years ago, I bought 5 shares of Tesla at 135. I didn't have money but I just needed to buy Tesla cuz I believed in the company. Of course if I had the money then that I have now I would have bought so many more... Happens. That's life. I had to go through all that to where I'm now able to invest in they market. Keep at it so you can get that there too.