September 26 | World Championship Antwerpen - Leuven

October 9 | Tour de Lombardie
October 14 - 19 | Tour of Guangxi

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Of course the season has already kicked off but the real start of the season is right around the corner too with the Flemish opening weekend just a few days away. Can't remember the last time I've been so excited for a cycling season, must've been the Boonen haydays almost ten years ago.

It seems likely that the big three will dominate most of the classics they participate in, i.e. Van Aert, Van der Poel and Alaphilippe. There's been many changes from important riders though and it'll be very interesting to see if anyone or any team can compete with them. I expect a lot from AG2R this season who've added Van Avermaet and Jungels and have turned their attention from the Tour to the classics.

Big tours will also be interesting. Not sure about everyone's program but Bernal will focus on the Giro which immediately makes it a lot more interesting to follow - hopefully Evenepoel is fully fit and can already compete with the best there, looking forward to see what he can do if he's up and running again.

A shame it'll all happen without any spectators allowed but nonetheless it'll be a bit of normality returning to our lives with good races on the weekends, really can't wait for it.

For the Dutch speaking followers, De Tribune recently did a cycling special with Michel Wuyts, Jose De Cauwer and Thijs Zonneveld which was an interesting listen and handy to get all caught up with everything that happened during the offseason.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Of course the season has already kicked off but the real start of the season is right around the corner too with the Flemish opening weekend just a few days away. Can't remember the last time I've been so excited for a cycling season, must've been the Boonen haydays almost ten years ago.

It seems likely that the big three will dominate most of the classics they participate in, i.e. Van Aert, Van der Poel and Alaphilippe. There's been many changes from important riders though and it'll be very interesting to see if anyone or any team can compete with them. I expect a lot from AG2R this season who've added Van Avermaet and Jungels and have turned their attention from the Tour to the classics.

Big tours will also be interesting. Not sure about everyone's program but Bernal will focus on the Giro which immediately makes it a lot more interesting to follow - hopefully Evenepoel is fully fit and can already compete with the best there, looking forward to see what he can do if he's up and running again.

A shame it'll all happen without any spectators allowed but nonetheless it'll be a bit of normality returning to our lives with good races on the weekends, really can't wait for it.

For the Dutch speaking followers, De Tribune recently did a cycling special with Michel Wuyts, Jose De Cauwer and Thijs Zonneveld which was an interesting listen and handy to get all caught up with everything that happened during the offseason.
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully Mathieu will start in de Omloop. Can’t wait. As you said de Omloop is the real start of the season. For me it will always be Omloop ‘t Volk though.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully Mathieu will start in de Omloop. Can’t wait. As you said de Omloop is the real start of the season. For me it will always be Omloop ‘t Volk though.
Same :D Really hope VDP is able to start yeah. The team manager said this morning that they're still looking into the "best solution for the team".

F-Red

Not been as excited for a cycling season I have with this one, I think the usual crowd will pull strong and feature in the classics. The GT's might provide some interesting results due to the number of rider moves at the beginning of this season.

For those who have it available, GCN are doing their GCN+ service (formally Race Pass) for £20 for the year if you sign up before the end of February. Features full, live racing, with longer feeds than Eurosport.

Ainu

The biggest thing I want this season: Paris-Roubaix actually happening. I don't trust the French government, with how insane they are (curfew from 18h, ffs), I could definitely see them cancelling it again.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The biggest thing I want this season: Paris-Roubaix actually happening. I don't trust the French government, with how insane they are (curfew from 18h, ffs), I could definitely see them cancelling it again.
I get a lot of comfort from the fact that they let the Etoile de Bessèges and Tour de la Provence go through. If they can manage that, surely they can manage a one-day race which is also their most important one of the season apart from the Tour. Hopefully the corona situation will be better by mid April too than it is now, so can't see it not going through tbh dar a new disaster.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
No Van de Poel in de Omloop. He does start in Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne though.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Just VDP things. He's now been the star of the show in Kuurne as well as the GP Samyn today - looks to be in pretty amazing shape already. Alaphilippe showed in the Omloop that he's already very good as well and Van Aert just did a monstrous 2-week training camp in Tenerife.

Strade Bianche is gonna be great Saturday, already can't wait.

Ainu

Is it too much to hope for an Alaphilippe, van der Poel and Van Aert clash already this early in the season? :drool:

Both van der Poel and Van Aert will have a problem if they can't lose Alaphilippe before Siena, I don't think he can be beaten on that final climb. I reckon Pidcock is in with a shout as well. He's looked in good form, he's got the cyclo cross skills for the gravel sections and he's a good climber. Imagine an entire podium of cyclo cross riders. :D

Ainu

The expected big names at the front with 50k remaining. This is great, Strade Blanche never disappoints.

Edit: this first group is one of the best I've ever seen in any race. What a scenario here. Just proves that this race is simply a must watch for any cycling fan.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Instant classic already. Pogacar and Bernal are pure class. Pity Van Aert isn’t up to speed yet.

Still rather VDP than Alaphilippe. Need to get rid of him before Siena though.

Ainu

I couldn't call this one. Alaphilippe and van der Poel are favourites at this point for me, and you never know with Pogacar.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Out of this world. 61kg vs 75kg, I really wanna see those wattages VDP got to in the last kilometer. Absolute MONSTER.

Van Aert will be fine too. This is gonna be such a great season.

F-Red

That turn of pace from van der Poel with a few hundreds metres to go - unreal.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That turn of pace from van der Poel with a few hundreds metres to go - unreal.
One acceleration and he was gone. Only person in the world who could do that to Alaphilippe on such a climb.

Bernal wasn’t even in the picture anymore :lol: This guy could surpass Boonen/Cancellara levels if he continues like that.

F-Red

One acceleration and he was gone. Only person in the world who could do that to Alaphilippe on such a climb.

Bernal wasn’t even in the picture anymore :lol: This guy could surpass Boonen/Cancellara levels if he continues like that.
You could tell as they were going up the final climb that Bernal didn't have the explosive turn of speed that would be needed against Alaphilippe or VDP and I expected him just to sit in. However I didn't expect VDP to drop Alaphilippe like that, I mean the guy had zero response to it and the look on his face as he was coming in 2nd was like 'ohhh sh*t' :lol:

Canyon must be breathing a sigh of relief, imagine if he had his new Aeroad and the bars break on that final climb.

Ainu

That was ridiculous by vdP. I didn't think anyone could do that to Alaphilippe. He will be very hard to stop in Sanremo. Just think, 2019: Alaphilippe wins Strade and MSR. 2020: Van Aert repeats that feat. 2021: van der Poel? The big three all right.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Can't be put into words how fecking insane that is. 439W over his last 90 minutes :houllier: Basically at the limit of what's humanly possible at 6W/kg - maybe riders like Pogacar can do better because normalized plays less of a factor on a large coll.

Ainu

Can't be put into words how fecking insane that is. 439W over his last 90 minutes :houllier: Basically at the limit of what's humanly possible at 6W/kg - maybe riders like Pogacar can do better because normalized plays less of a factor on a large coll.
I believe Pogacar was around 6.5W/kg over 1 hour in that insane time trial last year. It's hard to compare of course, van der Poel's effort came after several hours of racing and plenty of elevation, Pogacar's numbers came at the end of three weeks of grand tour racing. In terms of being at the limit of what's humanly possible, I'd still say Pogacar takes it.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Roglic dominates in France and Van Aert immediately wins his first sprint against Ewan in Italy :lol: Jumbo everywhere.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Roglic on course to winning Paris-Nice.
Pogacar winning UAE Tour.
VDP, Alaphilippe, VVA up top in one-day races. Seems like not much has changed from 2020.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Roglic on course to winning Paris-Nice.
Pogacar winning UAE Tour.
VDP, Alaphilippe, VVA up top in one-day races. Seems like not much has changed from 2020.
Was always likely to happen given that "last season" is actually only less than half a calendar year away. There's a small group of riders right now that's simply a level above the rest of the pack and they're gonna win a whole lot of important races this season as well.

Ainu

That top four today in the Tirreno: Alaphilippe, van der Poel, Van Aert and Pogacar. :lol: What a time to be a cycling fan! I don't think I can remember a more exciting time, and I've been watching for a couple of decades.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Tirreno stage result :drool:

1. Alaphilippe
2. Van der Poel
3. Van Aert
4. Pogacar

Think VDP actually was by far the fastest but had to come from too far.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That top four today in the Tirreno: Alaphilippe, van der Poel, Van Aert and Pogacar. :lol: What a time to be a cycling fan! I don't think I can remember a more exciting time, and I've been watching for a couple of decades.
Exactly! Already can't fecking wait until San Remo :drool: Hopefully Van Aert is near full strength by then, looks like he's still the weakest of the big three (but hopefully also still has the biggest margin for improvement).

Ainu

Tirreno stage result :drool:

1. Alaphilippe
2. Van der Poel
3. Van Aert
4. Pogacar

Think VDP actually was by far the fastest but had to come from too far.
Yeah he was, but I think positioning is a real weakness for him. He'll have to watch out in MSR because it's crucial on the Poggio.

Exactly! Already can't fecking wait until San Remo :drool: Hopefully Van Aert is near full strength by then, looks like he's still the weakest of the big three (but hopefully also still has the biggest margin for improvement).
I honestly think he'll never have the same punch as Alaphilippe and van der Poel at their best. In a flat sprint starting at pace, he's the man to beat out of those three but not uphill. I've always thought Paris-Roubaix is his ideal race and his excellent results as a puncher have been a bit surprising to me.

NotThatSoph

Van Aert just did a training camp, didn't he? If he wasn't looking the weakest when he's the most fatiegued one then the others would really have to worry.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Van Aert just did a training camp, didn't he? If he wasn't looking the weakest when he's the most fatiegued one then the others would really have to worry.
True yeah! He's already won Strade and San Remo too last year, think he really wants to be at his best beginning of April for the Ronde and Roubaix.

F-Red

Van Aert looks to be carrying a bit more timber than last year (when I say more weight in the context of cycling, it's not an issue in the real world). Don't know if that's having any bearing on his early season form?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That's how you beat Van Aert, play it smartly with your whole team and exhaust him before the sprint. Just unlucky there's still someone called VDP around as well :lol:

The lack of collective strength at Jumbo-Visma is gonna be a problem for Van Aert in the classics imo, and especially Teunissen is a big loss. Van Aert needs to be uber strong and play it smart imo. VDP wouldn't have done the dirty work today if Van Aert kept his legs still when Stybar went.

Ainu

That's how you beat Van Aert, play it smartly with your whole team and exhaust him before the sprint. Just unlucky there's still someone called VDP around as well :lol:

The lack of collective strength at Jumbo-Visma is gonna be a problem for Van Aert in the classics imo, and especially Teunissen is a big loss. Van Aert needs to be uber strong and play it smart imo. VDP wouldn't have done the dirty work today if Van Aert kept his legs still when Stybar went.
Bit of a weird move by DCQS. They gambled with Stybar but then completely failed to take advantage of Van Aert closing the gap, as VDP did. Van Aert just went for the bonus seconds over Pogacar and co here I think, he would've known he was giving VDP a free win.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
What a time to be alive. This is just insane what the big three are doing.

NotThatSoph

I was reading a Reddit comment comparing the times on the last Strade Bianche climb since 2009. These comparisons are often a bit dodgy, and it's of course not conclusive proof of anything, but the user is of the opinion that the current field of puncheurs is weaker than 5-10 years ago. This, in combination with the three being great athletes, could explain their utter dominance in this specific terrain.

I don't really know enough about cycling to have an opinion on how plausible this is.

Patchbeard

I was reading a Reddit comment comparing the times on the last Strade Bianche climb since 2009. These comparisons are often a bit dodgy, and it's of course not conclusive proof of anything, but the user is of the opinion that the current field of puncheurs is weaker than 5-10 years ago. This, in combination with the three being great athletes, could explain their utter dominance in this specific terrain.

I don't really know enough about cycling to have an opinion on how plausible this is.

I don't think you can compare them across different races. If it was a timed KOM climb with a start/finish then yes, but each race is different and you react to what is happening around you. It's easier to follow a rider if you are both carrying speed into the start of a climb. Both of VdPs attacks were mid climb in order to gap the competition whilst they were at their slowest speed and had to react, so he could have done a much quicker time up the last climb if he had attacked from the bottom, but it would given Alaphilipe more chance of keeping up.

NotThatSoph

I don't think you can compare them across different races. If it was a timed KOM climb with a start/finish then yes, but each race is different and you react to what is happening around you. It's easier to follow a rider if you are both carrying speed into the start of a climb. Both of VdPs attacks were mid climb in order to gap the competition whilst they were at their slowest speed and had to react, so he could have done a much quicker time up the last climb if he had attacked from the bottom, but it would given Alaphilipe more chance of keeping up.
I agree, it's very hard to compare. This year's ride had a decent average speed, I believe, while e.g. the 2009 was at snail pace and therefore people had a lot more to give on the climb with a huge field.

It's still an interesting thing to consider, though, I believe. The strength of the field naturally goes through highs and lows, but I think it's much easier to identify the peaks and valleys when talking about sprinters and maybe also climbers. Maybe it's just me not knowing enough, but considering the way puncheurs ride and win their races I find it difficult to judge when someone is really really strong or just strong while the competitors weren't at their best. Comparing today's sprinters with past ones is easier than comparing the big three with Gilbert a decade ago.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Fecking hell. These guys are out of this world. How entertaining can a stage be?! Incredible stuff.

Ainu

That was a real thriller yesterday, one of the best stages in a multi-stage race I can remember. Pogacar is just ridiculous, he has to be the most entertaining Tour winners in a very long time. Van Aert had a tough day and the overall victory is out of sight now, but he still demolished all other GC contenders outside of Pogacar. It's just that the two in front of him make his performance look almost average, when it is anything but.