Pro Cycling 2021

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Küng has beaten Ganna :eek: Hopefully more a case of Ganna not being his usual superhuman self than Küng being amazing today, which should mean that Van Aert has a real shot at the stage victory.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Van Aert what a beast! No idea why I like him that much, maybe because he kinda reminds me of Ullrich? Rolling tank! Probably also because he looks healthy compared to these super light weight climbers.
Speaking of super light weight climers, Pogacar casually grinning over the line with basically the same time as Ganna in a flat ITT :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Van Aert what a beast! No idea why I like him that much, maybe because he kinda reminds me of Ullrich? Rolling tank! Probably also because he looks healthy compared to these super light weight climbers.
Speaking of super light weight climers, Pogacar casually grinning over the line with basically the same time as Ganna in a flat ITT :lol:
This is as crazy as Van Aert imo, the guy weighs fecking 66kg while Van Aert, Ganna and Küng are all around 80kg. The time trial he beat Roglic in last year was on the Planche des Belles Filles but if he establishes himself as a great flat TT as well, he's gonna be able to dominate for a long time (unless Evenepoel becomes as good as we think he will :devil:).

Ainu

Once I saw Ganna's time I knew van Aert had a chance but to take another 6+ seconds off Küng's time in such a short time trial is remarkable. But yeah I'm more surprised at Pogacar's performance in a short, flat time trial. How on earth is anyone going to get near this guy in grand tours in the coming years? There's literally no terrain where you could hurt him. At least not individually, team strength might be an issue in case he needs support, like in a cross winds stage or something. Anyway, this Tirreno was brilliant from start to finish. Van Aert, VDP, Pogacar and Alaphilippe made it a joy to watch. Long may that continue.

Kasper

Supports
Once I saw Ganna's time I knew van Aert had a chance but to take another 6+ seconds off Küng's time in such a short time trial is remarkable. But yeah I'm more surprised at Pogacar's performance in a short, flat time trial. How on earth is anyone going to get near this guy in grand tours in the coming years? There's literally no terrain where you could hurt him. At least not individually, team strength might be an issue in case he needs support, like in a cross winds stage or something. Anyway, this Tirreno was brilliant from start to finish. Van Aert, VDP, Pogacar and Alaphilippe made it a joy to watch. Long may that continue.
Steep climbing in high altitude? Miguel Angel Lopez put half a minute into him on Col de la Loze. But yeah, I`m more joking than being serious, he`s crazy. Ineos (but actually all the other teams with GC aspiration as well apart from JV and Roglic) look screwed trying to match him in the upcoming TdF especially with two ITTs of 30km in it.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Milan San Remo on Saturday - who do you guys fancy for it?
Honestly can't see past VDP or Van Aert for this one. Unless Alaphilippe has an extraordinary punch on the Cipressa or (most likely) Poggio, he's not gonna get rid of them. They're just by far the strongest riders in the peloton right now, they can follow on the hills and are very fast at the finish too. Only slight on VDP is that he has gassed in long (250km+) races before but he still won the Ronde last year so think he'll be grant if he's a bit careful with his energy during the first few hours.

Gonna be a good one.

Ainu

I'm hoping van Aert but I think van der Poel will be just a little bit stronger. It's so hard to predict this one though. Any of the favourites might find themselves out of position at the start of the Poggio and then it becomes really hard to win. I don't think any of the big three will attack on the Cipressa, it's pretty much suicide. VDP is the most likely to attempt something like that but if he does, I believe he'll lose the race there. So he'll be smart and save his energy for a bomb up the Poggio. If it comes to a bunch sprint, I could see someone like Matthews doing well.

If we're allowed to dream: Philippe Gilbert. That's not going to happen though.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I'm hoping van Aert but I think van der Poel will be just a little bit stronger. It's so hard to predict this one though. Any of the favourites might find themselves out of position at the start of the Poggio and then it becomes really hard to win. I don't think any of the big three will attack on the Cipressa, it's pretty much suicide. VDP is the most likely to attempt something like that but if he does, I believe he'll lose the race there. So he'll be smart and save his energy for a bomb up the Poggio. If it comes to a bunch sprint, I could see someone like Matthews doing well.

If we're allowed to dream: Philippe Gilbert. That's not going to happen though.
I think it'll be decided right there yeah. All depends on how it unfolds though. I don't think Van Aert can follow VDP if he goes full blaze but if he's alone and Van Aert is in an elite group, they might catch him again. But if, say, VDP is joined by Alaphilippe and there's hesitation in the background then they're gone too.

And I'm not even sure why I think Van Aert can't follow VDP on the Poggio since he nearly stayed with Alaphilippe there last year too. Just a hunch I guess.

Ainu

I think it'll be decided right there yeah. All depends on how it unfolds though. I don't think Van Aert can follow VDP if he goes full blaze but if he's alone and Van Aert is in an elite group, they might catch him again. But if, say, VDP is joined by Alaphilippe and there's hesitation in the background then they're gone too.

And I'm not even sure why I think Van Aert can't follow VDP on the Poggio since he nearly stayed with Alaphilippe there last year too. Just a hunch I guess.
I think if VDP gets a gap on van Aert, it will be a small one. Not large enough to go solo to the finish line. Even if both VDP and Alaphilippe get a small gap on van Aert, I think he can close that down. His steady power output is insane, it's just the short bursts that are a bit lacking at the moment.

F-Red

I fancy Alaphilippe, I think DQS are playing a strong team for this. Heck, even Bennett could have a chance if it's close on the Poggio.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Would be amazed if a pure sprinter wins. Either VDP or Van Aert I think.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Aaaand the Roubaix region goes into lockdown for four weeks.

I swear, fecking French, if you feck this up again :mad:

Ainu

Aaaand the Roubaix region goes into lockdown for four weeks.

I swear, fecking French, if you feck this up again :mad:
Don't like to quote myself in this case, but I could fecking feel this coming:
The biggest thing I want this season: Paris-Roubaix actually happening. I don't trust the French government, with how insane they are (curfew from 18h, ffs), I could definitely see them cancelling it again.
Here's me praying.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think Van Aert was the strongest in the peloton today. Promising for the Belgian races coming up.

Stuyven though. Very likeable guy, chuffed for him. Biggest of his career.

Ainu

What a victory for Stuyven! Not the greatest MSR we've seen in recent years, but it was still an interesting finale. Some conclusions:

- van Aert pretty good, he's more than ready for the coming weeks
- VDP disappointing today, never really tried anything and his positioning was poor at the start of the Poggio. Winning here as favourite isn't easy
- Alaphilippe decent, but couldn't make the difference
- Ewan was the susprise of the day outside of the winner. He looked very comfortable on the Poggio
- Sagan lives!

Ainu

:mad:
Sounds like they've already made a decision, and clearly not the one we want. How can these French authorities be so utterly worthless at this? It's the same shit excuse as last time, they're scared people will go to watch. How hard is it to spread a clear message: stay away or face a heavy punishment. Just say you'll give everyone a €1000 fine, done.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yeeeesssss Wout, get in!

What a race again :drool: Bring on the Ronde!

Ainu

Yeeeesssss Wout, get in!

What a race again :drool: Bring on the Ronde!
Gent-Wevelgem rarely disappoints these days. I'd probably place it just behind P-R, Strade Bianche and De Ronde for entertainment value. Sometimes even ahead of De Ronde. It was a mighty sprint by van Aert.

By the way, did you watch De Ronde 104, the behind the scenes documentary about last year's edition that was on VRT yesterday? Absolutely brilliant.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
By the way, did you watch De Ronde 104, the behind the scenes documentary about last year's edition that was on VRT yesterday? Absolutely brilliant.
I haven't yet but have indeed heard that it's pure class. Probably gonna save it for Saturday to get properly hyped for the Ronde.

A bit of a shame that we still don't know whether that'll be the last one or that Roubaix will go ahead eventually. I don't wanna get my hopes up but I still have some hope left :D Don't know Van Aert program but if Roubaix gets cancelled maybe he extends his first peak until the Amstel Gold Race, think that must suit him as well although probably not as well as someone like VDP (and Alaphilippe of course).

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Roubaix officially postponed. As if we needed another reason here to hate the French :(

Ainu

Roubaix officially postponed. As if we needed another reason here to hate the French :(
With even stricter measures announced across all of France yesterday, this was basically just a formality at this point. They might try to reschedule but I wonder how realistic that is. It's not just about finding a free spot on the calendar, it needs to fit into the schedules of classics riders. It's a mess.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
With even stricter measures announced across all of France yesterday, this was basically just a formality at this point. They might try to reschedule but I wonder how realistic that is. It's not just about finding a free spot on the calendar, it needs to fit into the schedules of classics riders. It's a mess.
Week or two weeks after Lombardy is what I'm reading most frequently. Think finding a date might not be the hardest part but indeed it will suck for the riders that need to be at full peak of their powers at the tail end of the season with basically nothing else to train for.

Ainu

Week or two weeks after Lombardy is what I'm reading most frequently. Think finding a date might not be the hardest part but indeed it will suck for the riders that need to be at full peak of their powers at the tail end of the season with basically nothing else to train for.
That's what I'm worried about. The world championship is on September 26. Lombardia is on October 9, which is 2 weeks later. That would put P-R three weeks after the WC. Considering most riders want to reach their absolute peak at the WC, keeping it going for 3 full weeks after a tough summer that includes the Olympics, is far from ideal.

Not that it matters, the French authorities are so utterly inept they'll manage to feck up an October edition again anyway.

Ainu

I've now read it would be the weekend of October 3, which would put it between the worlds and Lombardia. Not sure how credible that information is though.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I've now read it would be the weekend of October 3, which would put it between the worlds and Lombardia. Not sure how credible that information is though.
It's on Sporza as well.

Meh. Still gutted it won't be next week.

Ainu

It's on Sporza as well.

Meh. Still gutted it won't be next week.
Me too, but it does give riders a nice target to peak towards. Considering the world championship will be in Belgium on a typical Flandrien circuit, we should see the same names there as those who typically target Roubaix. So it could be worse I guess. That won't help my mood next week on Sunday though. :mad:

Kasper

Supports
De feck just happened :lol: I was raging for Asgreen to idiotically pull up until 1.5km because I was sure VDP would smoke him in the finish. Wow, what a surprise:eek:

Ainu

That was another great final but as a van Aert fan I'm massively disappointed. He needs to forget about GC's and focus 100% on classics and short hills again, or he's going to have this problem every year.

Kasper

Supports
That was another great final but as a van Aert fan I'm massively disappointed. He needs to forget about GC's and focus 100% on classics and short hills again, or he's going to have this problem every year.
Nah, he`s a generational talent and it would be a big waste if he wouldn`t try to turn himself into a GC contender at least for 1-2 years. If it doesn`t work out he still has enough time of his career to focus on classics only.
However, he`d be in his right to ask for a better team around him for classics, same for VDP. Right now these two are constantly up on their own against an armada of Quick Step guys.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Van der Poel is surely going to win again. Asgreen is good but can't win against him.
De feck just happened :lol: I was raging for Asgreen to idiotically pull up until 1.5km because I was sure VDP would smoke him in the finish. Wow, what a surprise:eek:
:lol:

I was sooo mad at Asgreen and then he does this! Absolutely incredible, once again exhillirating race the last 100km.

Not sure about Van Aert. I was sure he was trending upwards and the other big contenders weren’t as much but fecking hell VDP’s power is unmatched on those short hilly work. I still think Roubaix is Van Aert’s best race, shame it’ll be more than a 2-year layoff.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Nah, he`s a generational talent and it would be a big waste if he wouldn`t try to turn himself into a GC contender at least for 1-2 years. If it doesn`t work out he still has enough time of his career to focus on classics only.
However, he`d be in his right to ask for a better team around him for classics, same for VDP. Right now these two are constantly up on their own against an armada of Quick Step guys.
Don’t agree and agree with @Ainu. He’s entering his prime now, try to win as much classics as you can until you’re 30 and then see which direction you wanna take your career, not the other way around. Classics are clearly his strong suit and not the one or three week races. Why try to transform? Even winning the Tirreno (currently the highest race achievable unless he completely gives up the classics) doesn’t compare to the Strade or Gent-Wevelgem, let alone the Ronde, San Remo or Roubaix.