Pro Cycling 2021

Ainu

Valverde is still there in the first group, on his 41st birthday. He can tie Merckx' record of five wins. Would be insane.

Suedesi

For sure - think off the five, Alaphilippe would be the favorite, doubt Valverde still has the kick of a few years ago

Ainu

Well well, still no LBL for Alaphilippe. Great sprint by Pogacar, what a rider. Schoolboy error by Valverde by the way.

Suedesi

Anyone following the Tour de Normandie? Seems like Sagan had a strong finish yesterday, let's hope he's back

Suedesi

Updating this, because I'm bored AF:

Calendar (World Tour races)
February 27 | Omloop Het Nieuwsblad // Davide Ballerini
February 28 | Kuurne - Brussel - Kuurne // Mads Pedersen

March 6 | Strade Bianche // VAN DER POEL Mathieu
March 7 - March 14 | Paris-Nice // SCHACHMANN Maximilian
March 10 - 16 | Tirreno-Adriatico // POGAČAR Tadej
March 20 | Milan San Remo // STUYVEN Jasper
March 22-28 | Tour de Catalunya // YATES Adam
March 24 | Driedaagse Brugge - De Panne // BENNETT Sam
March 26 | E3 Saxo Bank Classic // ASGREEN Kasper
March 28 | Gent - Wevelgem // VAN AERT Wout
March 31 | Dwars door Vlaanderen // VAN BAARLE Dylan

April 4 | Ronde van Vlaanderen // ASGREEN Kasper
April 7 | Scheldeprijs // PHILIPSEN Jasper
April 5-10 | Tour de Pais Vasco // ROGLIČ Primož
April 11 | Paris-Roubaix // Cancelled
April 14 | Brabantse Pijl // PIDCOCK Thomas
April 18 | Amstel Gold Race // VAN AERT Wout
April 21 | La Flèche Wallonne // ALAPHILIPPE Julian
April 25 | Liège - Bastogne - Liège // POGAČAR Tadej
April 27 - May 2 | Tour de Normandie // THOMAS Geraint

May 1 | Eschborn - Frankfurt
May 8-30 | Giro d'Italia // BERNAL Egan
May 30 - June 6 | Dauphiné

June 6 - 13 | Tour de Suisse
June 26 - July 18 | Tour de France

July 31 | Clasica San Sebastian

August 9 - 15 | Tour de Pologne
August 14 - September 5 | Vuelta d'Espana
August 22 | Cyclassics Hamburg
August 29 | Bretagne Classic
August 30 - September 5 | BinckBank Tour

September 5 | GP Québec
September 12 | GP Montréal
September 19 | World Championship Time Trial Knokke - Brugge
September 26 | World Championship Antwerpen - Leuven

October 9 | Tour de Lombardie
October 14 - 19 | Tour of Guangxi

Last edited:

Ainu

Updating this, because I'm bored AF:

Calendar (World Tour races)
February 27 | Omloop Het Nieuwsblad // Davide Ballerini
February 28 | Kuurne - Brussel - Kuurne // Mads Pedersen

March 6 | Strade Bianche // VAN DER POEL Mathieu
March 7 - March 14 | Paris-Nice // SCHACHMANN Maximilian
March 10 - 16 | Tirreno-Adriatico // POGAČAR Tadej
March 20 | Milan San Remo // STUYVEN Jasper
March 22-28 | Tour de Catalunya // YATES Adam
March 24 | Driedaagse Brugge - De Panne // BENNETT Sam
March 26 | E3 Saxo Bank Classic // ASGREEN Kasper
March 28 | Gent - Wevelgem // VAN AERT Wout
March 31 | Dwars door Vlaanderen // VAN BAARLE Dylan

April 4 | Ronde van Vlaanderen // ASGREEN Kasper
April 7 | Scheldeprijs //
April 5-10 | Tour de Pais Vasco // ROGLIČ Primož
April 11 | Paris-Roubaix //
April 14 | Brabantse Pijl
April 18 | Amstel Gold Race // VAN AERT Wout
April 21 | La Flèche Wallonne // ALAPHILIPPE Julian
April 25 | Liège - Bastogne - Liège // POGAČAR Tadej
April 27 - May 2 | Tour de Normandie

May 1 | Eschborn - Frankfurt
May 8-30 | Giro d'Italia
May 30 - June 6 | Dauphiné

June 6 - 13 | Tour de Suisse
June 26 - July 18 | Tour de France

July 31 | Clasica San Sebastian

August 9 - 15 | Tour de Pologne
August 14 - September 5 | Vuelta d'Espana
August 22 | Cyclassics Hamburg
August 29 | Bretagne Classic
August 30 - September 5 | BinckBank Tour

September 5 | GP Québec
September 12 | GP Montréal
September 19 | World Championship Time Trial Knokke - Brugge
September 26 | World Championship Antwerpen - Leuven

October 9 | Tour de Lombardie
October 14 - 19 | Tour of Guangxi
You forgot Philipsen at the Scheldeprijs and Pidcock at the Brabantse Pijl!

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
What a weird stage. That neutralization descent was a mess, I think organizers will be grateful that no one from that breakaway survived otherwise they would've had huge issues regarding GC.
Thomas has looked the best this month since quite a while but damn, what a crazy crash - I think his hand slipped from the handlebars so he lost balance?
Some big differences in form in this weather, Kruijswijk lost like what - 9 minutes? Kuss also nowhere to be seen. If Roglic or WVA are not racing, JV really look a bit clueless.

Still an entertaining stage, although it doesn't really make up for an overall very Tour de Romandie , very dull course selection.

Kasper

Supports
@Ainu @RobinLFC

You guys aboard the hype train for Evenepoel at the Giro? Crazy that odds have him 3rd favorite:devil:

Ainu

@Ainu @RobinLFC

You guys aboard the hype train for Evenepoel at the Giro? Crazy that odds have him 3rd favorite:devil:
I'm excited to see him back in action but I'm keeping my expectations in check. It was a nasty injury, a long road to recovery and he hasn't had a single race day to prepare for this. On top of that, he's never raced a grand tour before. I don't think anyone should expect him to be top for three weeks. Perhaps that's for the best, just let him have his grand tour debut without too much pressure. I do expect him to do well in the first stage though, an 8.6 km time trial to start with. Should suit him well.

Evenepoel aside, I'm just really excited for the Giro. I've had a brief look at the route and some of the mountain stages are mental, as you'd expect from the Giro. The Zoncolan is in there, one of the most brutal climbs in all of cycling, always a good one. There's even a stage with dirt roads that ends in Montalcino, which is pretty close to Siena so there might be some overlap with the Strade Bianche route there, not sure. Something to look forward to in any case.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
I'm excited to see him back in action but I'm keeping my expectations in check. It was a nasty injury, a long road to recovery and he hasn't had a single race day to prepare for this. On top of that, he's never raced a grand tour before. I don't think anyone should expect him to be top for three weeks. Perhaps that's for the best, just let him have his grand tour debut without too much pressure. I do expect him to do well in the first stage though, an 8.6 km time trial to start with. Should suit him well.

Evenepoel aside, I'm just really excited for the Giro. I've had a brief look at the route and some of the mountain stages are mental, as you'd expect from the Giro. The Zoncolan is in there, one of the most brutal climbs in all of cycling, always a good one. There's even a stage with dirt roads that ends in Montalcino, which is pretty close to Siena so there might be some overlap with the Strade Bianche route there, not sure. Something to look forward to in any case.
Giro has been the most fun grand tour for quite some time.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Ganna is a freak (and a joy to watch on his TT bike).

Not quite the dream scenario for Evenepoel but still encouraging.

Ainu

Still quite astonishing he's 3rd favourite with the bookies for the overall. I know he's special but come on!
He's just a very exciting talent, people think he's invincible. It's hard to imagine now, be before last year's Tour, people expected more from him than from Pogacar.

Ainu

@RobinLFC my man, how are you doing on the first post lockdown bar day in Belgium? I know this isn't the thread for it, but feck it. I missed the live race because of it.

F-Red

36.5mph average from Ganna. He’s got an insane engine on him.

Looking forward to this tour though, some exciting and brutal stages.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
@RobinLFC my man, how are you doing on the first post lockdown bar day in Belgium? I know this isn't the thread for it, but feck it. I missed the live race because of it.
I’ve been in Mallorca with some friends for a cycling holiday since last Sunday :D Last night here tonight, been cycling in 27°C and laying by the pool for beers all week, simply great.

Happy to hear you went out though! I’d have done the same if I were home, regardless of the weather. Very much looking forward to go to some restaurants again next week.

Ainu

I’ve been in Mallorca with some friends for a cycling holiday since last Sunday :D Last night here tonight, been cycling in 27°C and laying by the pool for beers all week, simply great.

Happy to hear you went out though! I’d have done the same if I were home, regardless of the weather. Very much looking forward to go to some restaurants again next week.
That sounds awesome! I should go to the mountains/hills more often, I always ride flat routes in and around Antwerp. I try to do at least 1 bike ride per week but with work and shitty weather it hasn't been great so far. We do have a cycling trip planned in France in September, really looking forward to that. Well, cycling and wine tasting. :D

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Such an impressive victory from Merlier yesterday, I know the opposition wasn't exactly the world's best bar Ewan but still, first real stage in a grand Tour and immediately victorious. Symbolic too, 10 years to the day of Wouter Weylandt death. Great stuff. Belgium now has a legit contender for the points jersey and the maglia rosa in the same Tour for the first time in my life.

Sucks that our main broadcasting channel doesn't have the rights to air the Giro though. Eurosport is alright but it's such a great shame we can't watch Evenepoel on our national television imo.

F-Red

First time in a long time where a decent breakaway at the start took victory, Van der Hoorn's face was a picture as he crossed the line.

F-Red

It's between Viviani or Sagan for stage 5 for me today, Ewan looks off the form so far.

Kasper

Supports
It's between Viviani or Sagan for stage 5 for me today, Ewan looks off the form so far.
Don`t think Sagan is capable of winning a mass sprint in a field like that anymore. He needs these reduced bunch sprints of e.g. two days ago where other sprinters get dropped on hills before. Today is totally flat.

Surprised to see Almeida lose so much time yesterday, I wasn`t high on his GC hopes as he`s not good enough to climb but to lose 5 minutes on the first medium hard finish is bad. Solves the DQS leadership issues straight away with Remco losing a bit but looking quite good overall I`d say.
Bernal looked the strongest yesterday but lets see if his back holds up. Anyway, little gaps on a first mountain stage like that in very bad conditions don`t really tell much in terms of overall favorites as Giro will be decided by way bigger gaps in the final week.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think the technical finish to the stage today may play a part in proceedings.
Ah fair enough, haven't looked at the finish. The stage looks as boring as could possibly be though, just one straight line from start to finish :lol: Praying for crosswinds and some echelons.