Progress made from last season

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
2 points more in the league
Closer to the leaders
More wins in the CL

Why is there so much hysteria when we've improved?

SuperiorXI

Ten Hag committing miracles each season. To be better off considering all he has had to deal with is great.

And to think some Armchair Fergie's want him sacked.

iHicksy

I'd guess because of what we see on the pitch. The change in style from last season to this transitional team is a backwards step. Last year we looked like we were a few key signings away from being a top 2/3 contender. We spent a considerable sum on players that don't seem to be any better than what we already had (barring the GK who i do think is an improvement - but then the change in play style doesn't seem to suit him).

KeanoMagicHat

Obviously a baity thread but we have played 5 of the bottom 6 now - and beat every single one by one goal. The other two wins are against 9th and 11th.

Putting away cannon fodder, Erik Ten Hag's army!

cyberman

It’s as if fans said we would be nowhere without Rashfords goals and the gods handicapped us by taking away his goals and any sort of improvement in the squad with the injuries and we’re still somehow winning

el3mel

Luton just held the scouse to a draw and almost won, no easy games in the PL
They're 17th with 6 points so far. We were playing them at home not away unlike Liverpool. Let's not act like this win was surprising or anything.

SuperiorXI

They're 17th with 6 points so far. We were playing them at home not away unlike Liverpool. Let's not act like this win was surprising or anything.
At this point any win is surprising, I don't take nothing for granted as a United fan after what we've seen this season.

cyberman

Obviously a baity thread but we have played 5 of the bottom 6 now - and beat every single one by one goal. The other two wins are against 9th and 11th.

Bar the top 4/5 the entire league is shit. They’re just hard to beat with the odd game v top sides when it all comes together. That’s how you get top 3/4 by beating these teams every single time.
To be fair I’d love a mid table side run now, it’s either title contenders or relegation candidates thus far

Polar

Closer to the leaders
More wins in the CL

Because we easily could have lost points in a couple of our last matches against bottom third teams, meaning we’ve been
pretty good paid with 21 points; margins from 17points and 2 points less than last year.

GMoore23

I'd guess because of what we see on the pitch. The change in style from last season to this transitional team is a backwards step. Last year we looked like we were a few key signings away from being a top 2/3 contender. We spent a considerable sum on players that don't seem to be any better than what we already had (barring the GK who i do think is an improvement - but then the change in play style doesn't seem to suit him).
Last year we were a top 2/3 contender, we finished 3rd. :houllier:

We looked a couple of key signings away from a title challenge.
This season, the quality of our play is that of a bottom third club.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We've got 2 points less, not more.
It's exactly the same, isn't it?

21 points from 12 games.

Won one more, but lost two more.

Worse goal difference.

(If this is a WUM thread, it's ban worthy - because it ain't even remotely funny.)

Barthez

It’s been a decent season. Looks worse because we’ve lost games and not drew any, hence 2 points worse off than this time last year, not helped by the crippling injury list.

KeanoMagicHat

Bar the top 4/5 the entire league is shit. They’re just hard to beat with the odd game v top sides when it all comes together. That’s how you get top 3/4 by beating these teams every single time.
To be fair I’d love a mid table side run now, it’s either title contenders or relegation candidates thus far
I disagree, it's one of the weakest bottom of the tables there's ever been. The three promoted sides have lost 27 out of 35 games, winning only 3 times. They're all on course for record low points totals if they don't turn it around. While 5-8 are quite strong as the likes of Brighton and Villa have shown so far.

El Jefe

No no this is too much context. We’re 6pts behind Arsenal and have the top scorer in the CL, everything is fine.

gaffs

It’s been a decent season. Looks worse because we’ve lost games and not drew any, hence 2 points worse off than this time last year, not helped by the crippling injury list.
:lol:
This is a decent season? Come on. Its mid November and a 1-0 win against Luton has been out best performance of the season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The only thing that hasn’t improved his style of play..

gaffs

Closer to the leaders
More wins in the CL

Fake News!

We have two points less this season. After 12 we had 7 wins and 2 draws. Only 7 wins this season.

Win the next v Everton and we will be one point better off as we lost match 13 V Villa last year.

KeanoMagicHat

:lol:
This is a decent season? Come on. Its mid November and a 1-0 win against Luton has been out best performance of the season.
Yeah we've also lost 3 out of 4 CL games and out of the League Cup. We've -3 goal difference and scored 13 goals in 12 in the league. Decent indeed.

jesperjaap

Rename the thread "Half full Mr Magoos" - Irrespective of injuries anybody that is happy with where we are at points wise (we arere awfl at this point last season) and the football they are watching mst be on some kind of magic hippy juice

PTSTSL

A surprisingly large number of posts in this thread. Good effort!

cyberman

I disagree, it's one of the weakest bottom of the tables there's ever been. The three promoted sides have lost 27 out of 35 games, winning only 3 times. They're all on course for record low points totals if they don't turn it around. While 5-8 are quite strong as the likes of Brighton and Villa have shown so far.
They’ve all bar Burnley put the fight up against big teams though? I’m not saying it’s impressive or anything but it’s not easy to consistently do without some sort of banana skin. I’m sitting here watching Newcastle fall 2-0 behind and it could end up 3/4.
This isn’t a fluke, it’s 18 months of putting our foots in non top 6/7 throats. It’s the one thing this team seems to do well

henrysquire

Currently sitting pretty above media darlings and belly boys, Newcastle. So that's something?

Denis79

What are we waiting for?! Give the man a new contract and another 500M to spend!

cyberman

is that right, we have 2 points more than at this point last season? Im amazed at that!
To be fair our losses came in a two (?) week span and it’s hard not to have our outlook coloured by that. If our dropped points were more spread out it would be seen a little more clearly.

Marcelinho87

We have to take on board the incredible amount of injuries disrupting us and the absolute shambles that is VAR - We need to see a full strength team out there.

stevoc

Closer to the leaders
More wins in the CL

We've also had less losses in the Europa League than we did at this stage last season as well, so that's a positive.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
The biggest positive is that we’ve been so bad that surely it can only get better right? Our forwards have 1 league goal between them after 12 games. It’s shocking really.

Semigoodlookin

Let's be honest, it has been utter shite. Fecking awful season so far. However, it is amazing we are only 6 points behind Arsenal and close to other teams who are supposed to be doing well or even flying. Look, it is more likely to continue to fall apart at this point, but if something could just click or form turns around, this season is not lost.

RuudTom83

The league table can play tricks on you, and picking the correct stats can always push a narrative.

But I would say with the eye test this season, the team has been a few steps back in terms of overall play.

But I do feel there is legitimate reasons for the drop off.

It’s actually a positive that points wise the team is comparable with last year.