Pronunciation of footballers' names

Pagh Wraith

Why would Solskjær be more understandable? It's more phonetic to an English speaker than a c being pronounced Ts.
Commentators should do their homework and at least make a decent stab at pronouncing a person's name correctly. Including Fred.
With Solskjaer I really had to sit down for a minute in order to make sense of the IPA. It is really quite different from what you would expect or what you hear.

[ˈûːlə ˈɡʉ̂nːɑr ˈsûːlʂæːr]

Best possible approximation would be Oole (yes oo as in school) Günnar Sulshaar

The length marks are quite important as you see in this video: (9) How to Pronounce Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (real Norwegian pronunciation only) - YouTube

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
With Solskjaer I really had to sit down for a minute in order to make sense of the IPA. It is really quite different from what you would expect or what you hear.

[ˈûːlə ˈɡʉ̂nːɑr ˈsûːlʂæːr]

Best possible approximation would be Oole (yes oo as in school) Günnar Sulshaar

The length marks are quite important as you see in this video: (9) How to Pronounce Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (real Norwegian pronunciation only) - YouTube
I feel like Ole being pronounced as Ollie is fair enough as that’s basically his nickname.

Classical Mechanic

I have been to can correcly say Woolfardisworthy!
It‘s a weird thing to get hung up on in my opinion. There’s a lot of accent diversity in the UK. If I drive 40 minutes on the motorway to Liverpool people pronounce my surname differently to me. When I lived in Scotland the pronunciation difference was even more stark. Then again my surname is Scottish in origin so who has jurisdiction over the pronunciation?

I’ve never met any foreign person that speaks English ‘properly’ in terms of pronunciation, the accent always overrides any attempt. Only a few Dutch people I’ve met get in the ball park of actually sounding English.

I’ve never heard any German commentators switch to the Queen‘s RP when saying English names. It would be bloody hilarious if they did mind.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Does it piss you off when people say Inter Milan? I know Italians say just Milan for AC and simply Inter for Internazionale.
I love the famous English derby match between Everton Liverpool and their city rivals FC.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Does it piss you off when people say Inter Milan? I know Italians say just Milan for AC and simply Inter for Internazionale.
Nah, why would it

I find it funny when people refer to meelan as AC though :D

NinjaFletch

It's an italian club. We pronounce it however we want :D
And that’s fair enough. I’d also pronounce it like that if I was speaking in Italian to you (well I wouldn’t because I can barely ask for a coffee, but you get the point!). I’d also call the city Milano, too, but it doesn’t make much sense to borrow that translation back into English when referring to the club when the original word is an English one anyway. If I did either in English I’d look like a pretentious git because there’s already a well established English form. It’s hyper-correct.

In the same way, I’d also use all number of absolutely butchered English words in other languages. You better believe I’m pronouncing ‘Wi-Fi’ like the French do if I’m talking French, or I’m calling a mobile phone a ’Handy’ in German (and trying very hard not to laugh each time) just as a French speaker would put up with how we’ve pillaged their language for vocab. But if I started asking my English friends for a handy in an attempt to show my clout as a German speaker people would rightly think I was asking them to wank me off.

Pagh Wraith

It‘s a weird thing to get hung up on in my opinion. There’s a lot of accent diversity in the UK. If I drive 40 minutes on the motorway to Liverpool people pronounce my surname differently to me. When I lived in Scotland the pronunciation difference was even more stark. Then again my surname is Scottish in origin so who has jurisdiction over the pronunciation?

I’ve never met any foreign person that speaks English ‘properly’ in terms of pronunciation, the accent always overrides any attempt. Only a few Dutch people I’ve met get in the ball park of actually sounding English.

I’ve never heard any German commentators switch to the Queen‘s RP when saying English names. It would be bloody hilarious if they did mind.
No I agree with you. It's not about perfectly imitating native pronunciation. German commentators will pronounce Manchester as Menchester as German has no æ sound. That's normal. It's about not totally butchering names by completely changing the sounds. I've heard Glenn Hoddle say Modrick. That sort of thing.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
And that’s fair enough. I’d also pronounce it like that if I was speaking in Italian to you (well I wouldn’t because I can barely ask for a coffee, but you get the point!). I’d also call the city Milano, too, but it doesn’t make much sense to borrow that translation back into English when referring to the club when the original word is an English one anyway. If I did either in English I’d look like a pretentious git because there’s already a well established English form. It’s hyper-correct.

In the same way, I’d also use all number of absolutely butchered English words in other languages. You better believe I’m pronouncing ‘Wi-Fi’ like the French do if I’m talking French, or I’m calling a mobile phone a ’Handy’ in German (and trying very hard not to laugh each time) just as a French speaker would put up with how we’ve pillaged their language for vocab. But if I started asking my English friends for a handy in an attempt to show my clout as a German speaker people would rightly think I was asking them to wank me off.
Does anyone really considered that pronunciation of Milan “pretentious”? It’s been commonly used on English TV since the early 90s. I doubt it would even raise an eyebrow.

English also has a common pronunciation of Paris but it would be very weird if someone were to say Paris Saint-Germain using that pronunciation.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
No I agree with you. It's not about perfectly imitating native pronunciation. German commentators will pronounce Manchester as Menchester as German has no æ sound.
Isn’t this just a weird throwback to Germans being taught 1950’s RP pronunciation in English? Queen Elizabeth would absolutely say “Menchester”

I notice you do it a lot for English even though the A sound in “anfassen” is a lot closer.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I remember that Casillas was difficult for commentators, saying "Casilias" or something like that.
Now in general they pronounce quite well.
The g / j of de Gea or the surnames that end in Z.
The only small thing that is a bit striking to me is the v (in Spanish it is pronounced like b) because it sounds too strong, like Falencia, Dafid Silfa etc

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I remember that Casillas was difficult for commentators, saying "Casilias" or something like that.
“Ly” is the original pronunciation of “ll” from before we all got lazy. It’s still pronounced that way in the Philippines.

CallyRed

I tend to refer to Bayern as Bayern Munchen, mainly because I like saying Munchen

Ludens the Red

We’ve all been pronouncing Bruno Fernandes’ name wrong.
It’s Bruno ‘Fernonje’.. this is how Portuguese people pronounce it.

Hoof the ball

People complaining about people who pronounce things correctly can feck right off. I graduated school of doing-shit-right every Saturday morning with James Richardson.

You can keep your Bar-suh-lo-na. I'll stick to the 'th' like a badass.

Corey

The ones that piss me off are the really simple ones like when Rio and Scholes insist on saying "Day-vid De Gaya", it's hardly difficult to pronounce it the proper way.

The best however, are the ones that the commentator has decided to pronounce a completely unnatural way just for his own amusement

Two that stick out from the 90s are 'Paul Shoals" and "Solskjaer-eh". Might have even been the same commentator.
Especially when they've both played with him for two seasons...

Pagh Wraith

Isn’t this just a weird throwback to Germans being taught 1950’s RP pronunciation in English? Queen Elizabeth would absolutely say “Menchester”

I notice you do it a lot for English even though the A sound in “anfassen” is a lot closer.
If anything it is American influence I would say. The average German will not hear the difference between 'dance' and 'dense' (American pronunciation) and therefore assumes a has to be pronounced e. Again, due to the lack of the open front vowel æ you naturally substitute it with the nearest sound. In most accents of the UK the difference in vowel quality between a and e is much more striking, e.g. bat and bet. But even using standard Southern English pronunciation, many do not hear that these two words are distinct. Believe me, I've tried. I also believe just substituting it with the German a instead would sound nicer. And actually more correct phonetically.

Happens in other languages as well. Czech has the loanword sendvič (sandwich) which is exactly how Germans pronounce sandwich as well.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The funniest was when I was in Greece and watched Spurs.

The commentators kept on saying Hoddeller and Waddeller

Spaghetti

Mom's
I can remember back in the day they used to say Da-Veed Beckham. Don't know if they make an effort these days though.
They try harder but not always successfully. So determined are they to NOT say “Bal-lay” for Gareth Bale, they pronounce his surname with only 1 syllable.

NinjaFletch

Does anyone really considered that pronunciation of Milan “pretentious”? It’s been commonly used on English TV since the early 90s. I doubt it would even raise an eyebrow.

English also has a common pronunciation of Paris but it would be very weird if someone were to say Paris Saint-Germain using that pronunciation.
Definitely, it’s the sort of way of saying it that you’d absolutely expect someone who looks like James Horncastle (I’ve remembered his name) would adopt.

PSG is an interesting one though, you’re right, because it would be odd if someone did anglacise it, but it also extends to the ’Saint‘ too. In that instance, the whole word is kept in (something approaching) a French pronunciation (and I also suspect there is an issue here where English speakers are picking up the french aversion to the glottal stop) the double ’s’ sound encourages you to roll one into the other. On the other hand, if English speakers started using München in relation to Munich, or referred to Red Star as Crvena zvezda it would sound odd. And there’s some obvious cases in Spain where people Hispanify (is that a word? Iberify?) team names and make them wrong.

At any rate, this is derailing the thread somewhat. I think we can agree that there’s a balance to be struck between correctly pronouncing names (De Gayer is a particularly glaring example) and avoiding those sounds sounding jarring in the language you’re talking in. I used to live in Norwich and I’d pronounce that differently in all three languages I (to some degree) speak. I’d also Germanify players names (I was in Germany during the 2006 World Cup and German speakers seemed to particularly struggle with Crouch so I would put it in to a faux German accent for that one particularly); I also tend to pronounce Thomas Müller‘s name differently if I am speaking English or German too as an example.

MoskvaRed

Many countries’ commentators mispronounce foreign names. French commentary is horrendous with English names. When Russians say “Fulham”, it sounds like “f*сk ‘em”.