Proposed change to offside rule

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Inspired by the nba three point line. There could be another line a quarter of the way into the opposition half, which you can not be offside before. This would force the teams to play way deeper and could result in more space to play in?

Otherwise the opposite could be to play a friendly with offsides in the own half. I think football is now too repetitive and becoming a solved game so need to look at some of the rules to make teams change it up or we will have teams playing like they do now forever.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah. Football would be a better game if teams were forced to sit deeper. Those high pressing lines really killed the excitement of the game.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Inspired by the nba three point line. There could be another line a quarter of the way into the opposition half, which you can not be offside before. This would force the teams to play way deeper and could result in more space to play in?

Otherwise the opposite could be to play a friendly with offsides in the own half. I think football is now too repetitive and becoming a solved game so need to look at some of the rules to make teams change it up or we will have teams playing like they do now forever.
Teams playing deep is awful. Don't want to encourage it even more.

Some of the best goals in history are fast counters running into space, I don't want them gone thank you very much.

If rather them bring in ref controlled drones.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm not sure I want to be actively encouraging teams to play deeper against us.

AaronRedDevil

The offside Should be body to body. It's really stupid that you are offside because of your leg or arm.

Sylar

Eliminate offside altogether. Lets get more goalhangers and more goals.

The offside Should be body to body. It's really stupid that you are offside because of your leg or arm.
Bring back daylight rule. If theres a crossing of bodies, then it should be allowed. If theres a clear gap between striker and defender, then thats the advantage.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
“This would force the teams to play way deeper and could result in more space to play in”

What? Have you ever watched a game where a team is sitting deep?

Denis' cuff

Bring back daylight rule. If theres a crossing of bodies, then it should be allowed. If theres a clear gap between striker and defender, then thats the advantage.
preferable, although it wasn’t a rule but merely an application, for a while. There’ll still be controversy but a definite improvement

still don’t see why it can’t be abolished altogether. Goalhangers would easily be taken care of and would open up the game a bit, anyway. Archaic rule that has little point now. More trouble than is worth.

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
Then a team could pin you back to the edge of your own box with a super high line?
I guess in this case every team would have an Aubameyang type of player, punt the ball and just let him chase it.
If this is implemented, Usain Bolt might turn professional after all :D

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

What’s your obsession with effing around with the laws of the game?! 1/4 lines, ref drones and Playing each game for hours on end. What next, do away with expensive players and sim all fixtures on FM? The more you mess with it, the worse the game gets! The game is perfectly imperfect, and that’s why we love it and talk about it so much!

if you’re inspired by the NBA go watch NBA!

siw2007

The only change I’d make to offside rule is the head and any part of foot/leg are deemed to be offside past the offside line and not using this arm/sleeve rule which is dodgy.

An experimental idea which is by no means thought through but no attacking player is allowed to be offside in the six yard box at the point of a goal. I think this would clear up the blocking vision/interfering with play business and would stop teams crowding the keeper maybe?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why are people constantly trying to apply crappy american rules into our beloved sport?

American sport culture and English sport culture are two massively different things. Leave them be.

Reducation

They'd still fanny about looking for daylight.
The way to sort this out requires common sense and is simple and easy, so here is my brilliant solution: the people in the VAR shed get 3 seconds to view a still of the moment the ball was played. If they need more than 3 seconds then clearly no obvious advantage has been gained and the benefit of the doubt should be given to the attacking team.

James Peril

Terrible idea. Modern, young fans - changing the game for the sake of it, no respect for history. Same generation that wants to tear down statues of Winston Churchill.... «smh» as the youngs would say.

But seriously, there is nothing wrong with the offside rule - it fixed a more prominent problem when it was introduced. Stop trying to make rules that will benefit the best teams, it will indeed lead to Super Leagues and such as the weaker teams give up entirely and have no function. We need Sheff United to beat United and Burnley to beat Luverpool, that’s where the charm of the Premier League exists at it best.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The one thing I'd definitely change about the offside rule is the most recent tweak, which is that the offside line can now be judged from an imaginary part of the upper arm. That's too subjective. It should be drawn from an actual physical part of the body.

Beyond that it's fine. People complain about marginal offside calls but that's a minor complaint when the rule does its job in terms of the impact on play.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

I think instead of the linesman raising their flag for offside, they should kick another ball onto the pitch.

If you get both goals into the goal within two seconds of each other, you get two goals.

Manoucha09

Something needs to be done about the mm decisions we're seeing regularly. The offside rule needs to be adapted now that we're using VAR. I'm not sure whether they should change the rule itself or just give more leeway to the attacking players, but some of the goals being ruled out are ridiculous.

In terms of the OP, one thing I'd like to see would be no offsides unless it leads to a goal. Basically just stop flagging for offside, continue playing and then if a goal is scored and the player is offside, it's reviewed using VAR and ruled out.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Something needs to be done about the mm decisions we're seeing regularly. The offside rule needs to be adapted now that we're using VAR. I'm not sure whether they should change the rule itself or just give more leeway to the attacking players, but some of the goals being ruled out are ridiculous.

In terms of the OP, one thing I'd like to see would be no offsides unless it leads to a goal. Basically just stop flagging for offside, continue playing and then if a goal is scored and the player is offside, it's reviewed using VAR and ruled out.
It has to be to the millimetre. It doesn’t matter how you measure it or where you measure it from - that point is arbitrary. You will always then have to be accurate in your measurement from that point. You can give licence within the rules to say “close enough” because there will be debate over which teams get given the most benefit of the doubt for those calls.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How about offside is only measured by the furthest forward part of your body in contact with (or closest to) the ground? (i.e. your foot) Will give the advantage back to the attacker (as it should be) and will also make it easier to draw a more accurate line for comparison. All these “offside by an armpit” decisions are ludicrous.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How about offside is only measured by the furthest forward part of your body in contact with (or closest to) the ground? (i.e. your foot) Will give the advantage back to the attacker (as it should be) and will also make it easier to draw a more accurate line for comparison. All these “offside by an armpit” decisions are ludicrous.
Heh. This post was uncannily timed.

Dan_F

Heh. This post was uncannily timed.
Perfect example. His whole body was behind the line. I honestly don’t know how they can find the same point on the attacking player to draw that line each time.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I think they should only draw the line at the foot of the attacker. They draw at the arm, but only 0.00001% of goals are scored with your fecking arm sleeve

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think the problem with drawing it just from the foot is that FIFA/IFAB currently insist that the offside rules be universal, so the same for games with and without VAR. Judging from feet alone would make it a hell of a lot more difficult for linesmen in games without VAR to make good calls.