Prospects of Keano becoming a manager again?

simplyared

Apparently he can see himself taking on a managerial role again. Tbh looking at his CV, I find it difficult to see any club willing to employ him. Views on this!

Skills

Snitch
Sunderland fans love him apparently. Not sure if the board would want him.

How's he done as Ireland's number 2?

Zlatattack

I'd prefer him at Derby County to Frank Lampard. Lampard might be great, but is unproven, Keane has tried at management, had mixed success and then spent a lot of time with Martin O'Neil as an assistant. I reckon he's learnt a lot.

buckooo1978

when Moyes and Pardew can find work there is always a future for Roy Keane

he seems too spikey in nature to be a really effective manage young players

but maybe this can be flipped and young players won't be fecking around with selfies or dance routines under Keane

his CV has recovered a bit I think with his work for Ireland. We got to the Euros with a relatively poor squad. Our main creative players are/were Wes Hoolahan and Robbie Brady

I think he'd be a great number 2 at United- expectations would be very high

GBBQ

Sunderland fans love him apparently. Not sure if the board would want him.

How's he done as Ireland's number 2?
Hard to know, we've not got the best squad at our disposal but we have maximized potential (albeit with some really dull football) and came second in a group where we were 4th seed, including a strong Welsh team. How important Keane is in the process though, i don't know.

I don;t think he has the patience for being a manager, all was great when they got promoted but when they're up against it I don't think he can accept that some players aren't willing to go to the lengths he did to win. I'd like to see how he would fare at a club like United, somewhere that would have the players and facilities to match his playing standards.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Doesn't have the temperament to manage, too volatile and with the pressures of management it will always end in tears. HE can barely reign himself in as a pundit never mind a manager.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Would clash with everyone.Imagine what his interactions would be like with Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Pogba or anyone else.
He'd have no issues with Lingard at all.

FireBlade

No thanks, he does not have the right temperament for us!

Great player but he is rely not good enough as a manager and he spends most of his time saying how crap we are..

1974_Fergie_Time

Doesn't have the temperament to manage, too volatile and with the pressures of management it will always end in tears. HE can barely reign himself in as a pundit never mind a manager.
Agree with this - he needs a manager to keep him in check and Martin O'Neil is doing that

He makes a great pundit shooting from the hip is great entertainment
but do that as a manager to your own players and you would lose the dressing room in 3 months

bk1991

I am sure that he will find himself in another premier league job before too long, he is too big a name not too.

I think that Keane's temperament precludes him from being a success in management longterm. I can see him being a short term fixer coming in and firing a rocket up a teams rear end.

Come to think of it maybe the Ireland job full time would suit him. Limiting his time with players may mean that he can still scare the shite out of them but they wont grow tired of his manner.

Champagne Football

With Keane he's learning under a very good and charismatic manager in Martin O'Neill now. This type of mentor was exactly what Keane needed. A manager who knows how to keep his cool under pressure and who knows how to deal with the media and the big ego's in the dressing room etc.

Yes O'Neill's brand of football is not the prettiest on the eye so if Keane wanted to really take becoming a top manager seriously then he should at least look for another job as a no.2 working under a manager who plays mostly attacking football such as Breandan Rodgers at Celtic or Jokanovic or Pellegrini or whoever would be willing to take him.

I think there's still hope for Roy Keane as a manager but right it's looking like at best he could become a Steve Bruce type manager who takes clubs from Championship to PL before getting sacked.

FujiVice

Came in when Sunderland were bottom of the Championship without a point and then won them the League the same season. And also what the Sunderland fans loved about him was the last 10 minutes, they really went for it. Like those old United sides. They used to always bag a last minute goal. It's not what he does on the field that's a problem. It's that he's a psychopath who fell out with friends (sent Dwight Yorke a text telling him to feck off when he left Sunderland), abused players (gave Dean Whitehead a slap at halftime) and attacked coaches (strangled the Reading assistant with his own tie during the full time glass of wine meeting.)

He's a legitimate nutjob. Entertaining from afar, but you cant get away with that shit in 2018. Chairman dont want you on twitter, let alone beating up the oppositions coach.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
when Moyes and Pardew can find work there is always a future for Roy Keane

he seems too spikey in nature to be a really effective manage young players

but maybe this can be flipped and young players won't be fecking around with selfies or dance routines under Keane
Even Diego Simeone and German Burgos (the latter of whom makes Keane look like Zola) are unable to prevent fortnite celebrations, i think we just need to accept these things are here to stay.

luke511

Now would be a great time for him to come back and give it another go in my opinion. He's comes across as more of a warmer person these days and that's extremely important when it comes to management.

SambaBoy

I think he should try his hand abroad if any club was willing to give him a go. As another poster mentioned, at a team used to winning or at least challenging he may be able to take them to the next level. Rangers probably would have been in for him if it wasn't for his Celtic links.

I'm sure a Championship club would take a gamble on him. He did well with Sunderland and he wasn't a complete failure at Ipswich.

Freddie'sRedHair

Supports
Arsenal
I think he should try his hand abroad if any club was willing to give him a go. As another poster mentioned, at a team used to winning or at least challenging he may be able to take them to the next level. Rangers probably would have been in for him if it wasn't for his Celtic links.

I'm sure a Championship club would take a gamble on him. He did well with Sunderland and he wasn't a complete failure at Ipswich.
I went to a few of his Ipswich games and they were pretty awful. They were never more than mid-table and were slipping closer to the relegation zone when he was sacked.

simplyared

I went to a few of his Ipswich games and they were pretty awful. They were never more than mid-table and were slipping closer to the relegation zone when he was sacked.
The Ipswich job was never right for him, he said that in his book. So his failure there had more to do with his lack of motivation.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Ipswich was nothing really more than mid-table before him and largely been mid-table since. It's wasn't good but it was hardly the worse managerial spell ever.

I'm not really sure who's CV people are talking about when they say it is shit but it definitely isn't Keane's.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He wouldn't last 5 minutes at a top club.

I doubt it would interest him, but he'd probably be better suited at a lower level club where the pressure isn't as high, where he'd have more control and less prima donnas to deal with.

Top level football has changed beyond recognition in the last even 25 years.

Lucas Hood!!

I think he'll take over from Martin O'Neill when he leaves Ireland in a few years.

JMack1234

Not sure if his ultra-hardman style works with the modern footballer. That said, the job he did at Sunderland is very underrated and he's more qualified than a lot of people getting these jobs.