Protest at Old Trafford

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It's not ideal pal, but i've had another look, and they can't even move the Liverpool game from the weekend of the 16th May (our free weekend), as they play West Brom, who play tomorrow!

So they either move it tomorrow, or they'll have to cram it in so teams play 3 games in 6 days which would be dreadful.

They can't even move it to the midweek after the last game as the Wed has the europa final.
Just give us the three points then - Liverpool are crap anyway!
Seriously what a f@ck up - the whole squeezing of this season is ridiculous, which I said when it was first announced. Just saw they can get int the bloody Euros...

If it is tomorrow, it should be an early kick off - 11am or something like that

clarkydaz

Yes, and no doubt made easier by the fact that the result doesn’t overly matter in terms of the league like it does for Liverpool. If you genuinely believe the protests would have happened if you were 1st, or 5th, then I disagree. That said, i totally agree with the principle behind it. My expectation, although I seem to be in a minority, is that you’ll have to forfeit the match given that other teams have so much to play for. I might be totally wrong though.
Thats certainly debateable. I can speak for myself hand on heart and say after the superleague debacle the season, europa league, summer signings pale insignificance to me at the moment. I would happily take sanctions and punishment on the club with the spotlight heat firmly on the owners

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Looking at the schedule then

THUR 6 MAY Roma A
SUN 9 MAY Villa A
WED 12 MAY Leicester H
SAT/SUN 15/16 Blank, but Liverpool play West Brom (who have a game tomorrow, so can't move this fixture into the midweek TUE/WED 4/5 MAY
WED 19 MAY Fulham H
SUN 23 MAY Wolves A
WED 26 MAY Europa Final

Looks like it's tomorrow, or they have to do a horrible squeeze of 3 games in 6 days by inching one of these games on a day.
I wonder if the PL can even make a decision fast enough to play it tomorrow! Normally takes them a week to even get off their @rses!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just give us the three points then - Liverpool are crap anyway!
Seriously what a f@ck up - the whole squeezing of this season is ridiculous, which I said when it was first announced. Just saw they can get int the bloody Euros...

If it is tomorrow, it should be an early kick off - 11am or something like that
Someone made the good shout of having it somewhere neutral.

I think they should do that, and not declare it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I wonder if the PL can even make a decision fast enough to play it tomorrow! Normally takes them a week to even get off their @rses!
They got that bomb scare game on the next day. But that was an idiot bunch of "security" guys making a massive gaffe. Not hordes of goons storming in.
They must fear them coming back tomorrow.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Thats certainly debateable. I can speak for myself hand on heart and say after the superleague debacle the season, europa league, summer signings pale insignificance to me at the moment. I would happily take sanctions and punishment on the club with the spotlight heat firmly on the owners
If they just give the points to Liverpool, all the other sides jostling for top four will sue - and rightly so

littlepeasoup

Let's not pretend football doesn't attract some of the worst people in society. It does. I've been at matches where fans have ripped out plastic seating to throw at each other.

Do not let the message of the many be drowned out by the actions of the few. Peaceful protest is the right of every individual.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Postponement bad for us, now this game will probably happen when Manchester United have sealed their spot, and Liverpool more likely to win after that.
Don’t think so. Unless Liverpool had been as bad as Spurs were against us, they would most likely have achieved a draw today as we played on Thursday and they had the week off.

Dobba

Sky basically saying they support any fan actions up to but not including a match being postponed.
Spend hours of their screen time whipping football fans up and down the pyramid into a frenzy when they haven't got the rights to the competition in question, lose their mind when it affects something they do have rights to.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Sky basically saying they support any fan actions up to but not including a match being postponed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a surprise. They support it unless it hits their pockets.

BorisManUtd

Looking at the schedule then

THUR 6 MAY Roma A
SUN 9 MAY Villa A
WED 12 MAY Leicester H
SAT/SUN 15/16 Blank, but Liverpool play West Brom (who have a game tomorrow, so can't move this fixture into the midweek TUE/WED 4/5 MAY
WED 19 MAY Fulham H
SUN 23 MAY Wolves A
WED 26 MAY Europa Final

Looks like it's tomorrow, or they have to do a horrible squeeze of 3 games in 6 days by inching one of these games on a day.
Well it's either tomorrow or Tuesday (small chances as it's only 2 days from our game vs Roma) or Liverpool getting 3-0 win automatically imo, don't think they'd agree to playing 3 games in 6 days because of our fans entering Old Trafford today :lol:

Ace of Spades

Sky trying their best to keep football going now that the SL thing has died. This is not good for their greedy pockets, so ofcourse this is protest is a problem.

R'hllor

Also, love this whole PR move how United is worried about safety of their players, if they spin a bit more, tomorrow it will turn how protest was vs Ole and players.

MU655

How do you propose making the rich and powerful change then?
What will this change? They could try and sell the club, but to who? Another rich person. This 50 + 1 idea will never happen. Even if the government forced the sale, you would still have to pay market value for the club, so there is no getting it cheaper. Who is going to raise the $1.8 billion needed to even buy half of the club? These protests are based on a hope that you can get an all giving owner. No amount of protesting will change an owner into that.

People have some unrealistic expectations of the next owners. Some want a sugar daddy who is not only going to shell out billions (without leverage) to buy the club, but then decide to take absolutely nothing out of it, and also pay off the club's debt. You don't need just a rich person; even most of the 2,755 billionaires in the world couldn't afford to do that. Others don't want a foreign owner, so that limits it to 56 billionaires. Even amongst those who could afford it, you are going to have to find one who would have no want to take dividends etc.

The chance of finding a buyer that fits that category is actually very low. And even some of those wouldn't be considered acceptable e.g. Saudi interest.

Last edited:

Jezpeza

Postponement bad for us, now this game will probably happen when Manchester United have sealed their spot, and Liverpool more likely to win after that.
If youre relying on opposition to lose to qualify you arent good enough to be in the champions league anyway so dont worry too much

NK86

Also, love this whole PR move how United is worried about safety of their players, if they spin a bit more, tomorrow it will turn how protest was vs Ole and players.
And some folks are actually falling for it!

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Fair point, and you certainly won’t be alone. There’s clearly a long game at stake here, on which this is the first move.

Nik70

Did I say anything about the whole of UK uniting or me condoning violence. Or are you now trying to put words in my mouth to deflect from the ridiculous point you made at the beginning?

You said Gandhi and used it as an example of how non-violence achieves major changes, without having the first clue of how the history of India's freedom struggle was shaped by greater freedom fighters than Gandhi.

And lastly, it was YOU who associated this with a civil rights/freedom movement and not me.
You accuse me of putting words in your mouth and then go and respond by putting words in my mouth. :lol:

I never said you condoned violence and I was making a point that violence has been successful in situations where there is a large mass of people who have been disenfranchised and/or abused in some form. The example of England revolting was meant to illustrate that point and of course it would not happen.

I referred to the other comments in the thread in regards to forms of protest against civil injustice etc.

I responded directly to a poster who implied violence was the ONLY successful means of protesting. Why don't you take a gander through the thread before you start making assumptions about the points people are trying to make.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Why would it be about Covid? More like they are worried their homes will be targeted.
Give over.
It's Covid rules which are the issue here.
It's to do with how they get to the ground etc, they have to travel in separate coaches to non playing staff, it's easier to keep then together otherwise the protocols may not be followed and the class b will be fined or worse have a potential Covid outbreak.
Stop with the hysteria!!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Well it's either tomorrow or Tuesday (small chances as it's only 2 days from our game vs Roma) or Liverpool getting 3-0 win automatically imo, don't think they'd agree to playing 3 games in 6 days because of our fans entering Old Trafford today :lol:
if they give Liverpool three points, Leicester, Chelsea and West Ham will call in the lawyers - and rightly so. It's not like 1974 when they gave City the points after a pitch invasion - it didn't affect placings and we were relegated anyway

R'hllor

Blackpool fans were also a disgrace for invading pitch vs thaat Olsen or w/e the name is of that cnut.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
This sucks; perfect opportunity to kill off a bleeding, depressed Liverpool.