Protest at Old Trafford

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The We decide when you play banner sort of makes sense now.
The trouble is, everyone of those protesters will be banned from OT for life after this incident, so it's unlikely the protests will continue, at least on this scale anyway. The police will be a lot more prepared for the next home game too.

FatTails

I was sympathetic to the protesters’ cause but Bill O'Rei…Souness there changed my mind :rolleyes:

edgecutter

The glazers will hate every second of this. Big spotlight now on these cretins. Well done to all who protested today.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Does anyone think the Glaziers actually care?

I mean under the law it is actually their club, they could strip us down and sell us off if they wanted to.

We need the government to bring in 50 + 1, the problem is clubs like City won't want this and will counter-protest.
While I fully understand the sentiment, how exactly do you think that the government is going to bring in the 51% ownership?

pass.pass.pass

I hope the protests happen at all the remaining home games. If they can't get into the stadium, then at least outside it.

MU655

So, how is terrorising and harassing people in their cars going to get the Glazers out of the club? People will say it is peaceful, but would you find it funny if a large group of people surrounded your car and started shouting stuff at you? I bet people wouldn't find it funny it that situation. You don't know what they would do; you don't know them.

It is typical trouble makers who are claiming their trouble-making has a meaning.

pascell

So, how is terrorising and harassing people in their cars going to get the Glazers out of the club? People will say it is peaceful, but would you find it funny if a large group of people surrounded your car and started shouting stuff at you? I bet people wouldn't find it funny it that situation. You don't know what they would do; you don't know them.
Fully agreed, they're nothing but thugs that are doing things like that.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
While I fully understand the sentiment, how exactly do you think that the government is going to bring in the 51% ownership?
No idea, force through legislation?

How did Germany manage to bring it in?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'm literally laughing at all those people who think that invading Old Trafford and showing vandalism on live TV is something that will make Glazers sell the club.

You're embarrassing the club we all love, you're devastating the ground you "love".

Two hundred drunken idiots have just made Glazers sell the club? Are you serious?

They've embarrassed the club, that's it.
The only embarrassing thing here is your nonsense about protecting the image of the company owned by the Glazers.

This is about damaging their asset, even if the collateral damage will be short-term damage and even some points docked for us as a football club.

Seeing as you are from Poland, I wonder if you think your government is entitled to do what they've been doing in curbing your freedoms recently. And do you think your compatriots should have stayed at home and hastaged their way to protesting against your government. Were you embarrased then as well?

Joke of a post.

Thiagoal

Need to just call it off now! There’s no way they’ll get the game clashing with the line of duty season finale

hungrywing

They should have brought a lawnmower and carved glazersout on the pitch
If some of the staff were in cahoots with the organizers and the latter knew they were going to get in, it really would have been great to have pulled off a 'big'/'positive' visual that would get the message across to completely uninvolved people who might see it in the media.

Somebody stole a corner flag.
I'm afraid....

...I'm afraid they got all four.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Forgive my cynicism. Being from Bristol, when the police say they’ve been injured at protests, we tend to wait for the revised version of events before we let it sway our opinion.
Agree with my fellow Bristolian. You and I know that what is reported about the police very often gets revised.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

The argument that the Glazers "have put money into the club" is moot when the proof is there. No money has been invested. It has been taken out the club and the Glazers only release a percentage of the generated revenue for the squad investment. Thats not conjecture, thats fact. Its in every financial release.

Any money that has been used for squad improvement has been wasted regardless as they had an investment banker in charge who openly admitted to Andy Mitten in an interview that they have been getting it wrong for years :lol:

NewDawnFades

The trouble is, everyone of those protesters will be banned from OT for life after this incident, so it's unlikely the protests will continue, at least on this scale anyway. The police will be a lot more prepared for the next home game too.
Can't believe they weren't all wearing masks for this reason at least, hope they use them next time

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Protesting is very important, as is visibility of protests. However, I don't believe United fans would be going to the lengths of attempting to prevent the game happening if they were within 5 points of City right now - which was entirely possible this season. I'm not suggesting that lack of success is the reason for the protest, but that possibility of league success this season would have changed the form of it.

That - plus the potential danger it created for club staff, stewards and broadcasters (innocent bystanders who did the safe thing and didn't resist) - is why forcibly entering the stadium on a match day during a pandemic was too far in my opinion. The idiotic behaviour of the minority of those who did enter the stadium also undermines the protest. The media is already more focussed on fan protests than it has been in a long time.
The protest were much bigger in 2010 but maybe you weren’t paying much attention as your club was busy with spending oil money.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Considering the current ownership model of majority of PL clubs you are probably looking at government having to put together £50bn or so to buy out the clubs in the first place. Correct me if I’m wrong but vast majority of clubs in the top two divisions are already private owned.

Drawfull

It is typical trouble makers who are claiming their trouble-making has a meaning.
Indeed.

48 hours

If some of the staff were in cahoots with the organizers and the latter knew they were going to get in, it really would have been great to have pulled off a 'big'/'positive' visual that would get the message across to completely uninvolved people who might see it in the media.

I'm afraid....

...I'm afraid they got all four.
the staff need showing footage from Father Ted to see how to protect the corner flags

The glazers will hate every second of this. Big spotlight now on these cretins. Well done to all who protested today.
Exactly, and that's the whole point. They have left United fans feeling there is no other option now but direct action. It would be great if this kind of protest could become a thing at every home game from now on. Build on this momentum and really put the squeeze on the Glazers. With this and the Super League shambles, we have them under pressure; let's keep it up.

Roboc7

A minority have gone too far but that is sadly almost inevitable, especially when feelings are running high. Anyone who caused any harm or damage should be punished.

I can’t remember any other incident in the Premier League where such disruption to a game has been caused or such hostility has been shown to the owners. Utd fans should be pleased to see this not worried about the game or if it will impact transfer targets.