Protests in Moscow

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I thought that I'd make a new thread, since the main thread about Russia is dedicated to its foreign politics.

As some of you may know, there had been elections to the Moscow City Duma (no one ever really cared about it), when the Central Election Committee banned candidates from the opposition because of the fake signatures for their candidacy. This resulted in series of protests that were stopped violently by the police forces — and the unmotivated police brutality only led more people to the streets.

But here's the most horrible bit. Today Pavel Ustinov got sentenced to 3,5 years in prison for this:

Apparently, the policeman dislocated his shoulder during the arrest. The judge didn't allow the video to be featured as an evidence during the "trial".

This is the 6th sentence on the "Moscow case".

Daniel Beglets was sentenced to 2 years for touching the policeman's wrist (the prosecutor's version). In his own words, he saw that one of the people that were getting arrested dropped the headphones, so he picked them up and tried to give them back to him.

Kirill Zhukov was sentenced to 3 years in prison for trying to open up the policeman's helmet (the prosecutor's version). In his own words, he touched the helmet trying to get them to notice a woman with a serious head injury.

Ivan Podkopaev was sentenced to 3 years in prison for using a pepper-spray on the policeman. He admitted his guilt.

Evgeniy Kovalenko was sentenced for 3,5 years in prison for throwing the trash can in the police's general direction (see the video below).

Konstantin Kotov was sentenced for 4 years in prison for repeated participations in unsanctioned actions that lead to delays in public transportation. He was arrested at the 12th of August. Three days later the police finished the investigation. They gave 72 hours for the defence to review all the documentation on the case — it was 4 volumes, roughly around 800 pages.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Looks pretty tame to me. The guy was subdued and brought to the van. Hit 2-3 times with batons.

Why he was targetted isnt clear from that video. But i dont believe they're just picking people randomly for the kicks of it in broad daylight with phone cameras everywhere.

I'll hold my judgement. From my own experiences protesters arent exactly saints. We've had incidents recently where a protester throws a plastic bag of gasoline and lit 4 policemen to fire.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Looks pretty tame to me. The guy was subdued and brought to the van. Hit 2-3 times with batons.

Why he was targetted isnt clear from that video. But i dont believe they're just picking people randomly for the kicks of it in broad daylight with phone cameras everywhere.

I'll hold my judgement. From my own experiences protesters arent exactly saints. We've had incidents recently where a protester throws a plastic bag of gasoline and lit 4 policemen to fire.
Don't you get tired of defending the same side when it's protesters vs an oppressive regime?

harms

Staff

Well, that's the point. There were grabbing the guys right from the street — and then giving them years of prison sentence because the policemen injured his arms while he was hitting him.

I understand (kinda) police brutality when the protesters burn cars on the street and throw stones/bottles at them. The guy was just waiting for his friend.

harms

Staff
Was the election rigged?
Funnily enough, the election itself was relatively okay. It's just that all the threatening candidates weren't eligible (but a lot of alternative choices to the government candidates won in their respective districts).

harms

Staff

Due to the enormous public backlash the district attorney's office (that pushed for a 6-year sentence) issued an official appeal that said that 3,5 year sentence that Ustinov got was too harsh and he should be released from custody as soon as possible. Although they still confirmed that they're sure of his guilt.

So yeah, the police definitely didn't pick a random guy off the street (amongst 2000+ other detained protesters btw) and had their reasons.