Proud of Rashford, Maguire and Sancho to Step Up

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
When Van Gaal replaced Cillesen with Krul in WC 2018? Was actually lauded as a stroke of genius.
Was a no brainer really. I think Cillessen has stopped a grand total of 1 penalty in his entire career. And that was after 2014 (that was when it happened).

Krul on the other hand, with his twatish face and ling limbs is great at penalties. Costa Rica did have 1 chance in the last second of extra time. Would've been funny if Krul had fumbled the save.

Hughes35

Whilst I think Southgate has done a good job in general, and he seems well suited to international football. His substitutions have been way too late all tournament.

I was screaming at the TV yesterday for him to change formation / bring a sub on for 10 minutes before the Italy goal. You could see it coming a mile away. Also in extra time, Rashford etc should have been coming on at the start of the 30. Give them a chance to impact the game, get the rhythm and take a penalty. Doing it the way he did was madness.

I think the whole squad has done themselves proud tbh. Everybody gave their all and played as a team.

thesheriffjw

How can anyone praise rashford???

the kid has got too big for his boots and his attitude on the pitch is abysmal. He thinks he is ready made and above others.
The penalty he took was nothing short of idiotic. He thought he was being clever, but came off looking like a twat.

He either needs to get his head down on the football side of things or give up and move over to charity work. He cannot do both

Maguires penalty though? Quality

valeron21

Glad to see a positive thread but yes Southgate messed it up, hopefully he’ll change it up for the World Cup qualifiers where should go all out attack because we have the players to do it . And it’ll be fun to watch

Ixion

the kid has got too big for his boots and his attitude on the pitch is abysmal. He thinks he is ready made and above others.
The penalty he took was nothing short of idiotic. He thought he was being clever, but came off looking like a twat.

He either needs to get his head down on the football side of things or give up and move over to charity work. He cannot do both

You think he missed that penalty last night because of his charity work?

What about Sancho, Saka, Jorginho, and Belotti, have they been doing too much charity work?

redmanx

For same reason, can't blame them at all. Southgate had the squad, just did not know how to use them.
Southgate should have gone for broke and brought on Rashford and Sancho on the hour mark, if not sooner. Putting Henderson on only made the team less aggressive and ensured the ball went sideways and not forwards. Giving Rashford and Sancho the time to run at the Italy defense would have terrified them and given Kane the room in the box he needed.

Idxomer

Was a no brainer really. I think Cillessen has stopped a grand total of 1 penalty in his entire career. And that was after 2014 (that was when it happened).

Krul on the other hand, with his twatish face and ling limbs is great at penalties. Costa Rica did have 1 chance in the last second of extra time. Would've been funny if Krul had fumbled the save.
Why didn't he do the same in the semifinal? I always wondered that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Yep, Our players stood up tonight and showed real character and anyone who says Maguire is not a leader does not know the meaning of the word.
Maguire has really got my respect this tournament. I was always on/off about him but now I'm definitely a fan. Plus, the image of him headbutting 5 Greek blokes simultaneously always makes me laugh.

Charlie Foley

Maguire, Rashford, Sancho, and Saka all stepped up. There are players in the team you could argue could have taken a kick ahead of any one of them. The real fault is the manager putting his players in an unnecessarily difficult situation. It’s not like England were hanging on and needed their defensive players for every second of extra time. Could have brought Rashford and Sancho on for 10/15 easily to try and win in ET and be warmed up for penalties. If Sterling isn’t taking one, he should come off, he was out on his feet. With Chiesa off (a big break for England) and no Spina Italy were very blunt going forward by that point.

also, Jack Grealish ‘responded’ to Roy Keane saying he wanted to take a penalty. In that case, either Southgate wouldn’t let him take one of the first 5, which reflects terribly on him, and raises questions into the relationship between the two of Grealish is going public, or else it wasn’t a final Southgate decision, and Grealish still DIDN’T SAY “no he’s a kid, I’m going up” which is what Roy Keane was saying :lol:

Ixion

Why didn't he do the same in the semifinal? I always wondered that.
Had already used up his 3 subs by the end of extra time. With more subs allowed now I'm sure Van Gaal would have repeated it if he could.

thesheriffjw

You think he missed that penalty last night because of his charity work?

What about Sancho, Saka, Jorginho, and Belotti, have they been doing too much charity work?
No im saying the last 18mths has been the leadup to last night.

Rashford has been on form, for 1 every 6-8 games. Since he became a so called charity worker.

his attitude to football stinks and has done for some time.

football or politician? Only he can decide

Ixion

Rashford has been on form, for 1 every 6-8 games. Since he became a so called charity worker.

Right so what have Sancho, Saka, Jorginho, and Belotti been doing in the past 18 months that led up to them missing penalties last night?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

What an idiotic stance.

thesheriffjw

Oh dear, how dare i criticize rashford?

Get a grip people. His form is more hit and miss than a taliban sniper.

Some of yous need to take off your rose tinted glasses

Very sad

el3mel

Yeah, and that went well.

Mata and Telles are experienced heads who have been here numerous times, especially Mata. Rashford and Sancho are kids.
And it might have worked with Romero if our own manager wasn't equally incompetent at in game management.
Actually I feel people are arguing the wrong point. The point isn't bringing them to shoot pens. The problem is actually degrading Rashford and Sancho to just pen takers instead of fecking putting them early and try to win the game in the main time before pens. How come one has Grealish, Sancho and Rashford and barely even use them in a final ? Grealish came for the last 20 minutes and Rashford and Sancho came as pen takers. It's honestly ridiculous way of management. Them missing was just karma for how Southgate fecked up their management completely.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Very sad
Or you could just answer the questions that were asked to you.

Halftrack

How many threads have you made a variation of this post in?

Anyway, it's a bad post, whatever its form.

DoomSlayer

Absolutely clueless. :houllier: Rashford's only issue is carrying injuries and still playing for club and country. He needs treatment and time off to fully recover.

podurban2

What a horrible take. But what to expect when you let any mad man post on a forum.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Three glaring mistakes from Southgate for the final:

1. The whole PK debacle especially having a 19 year old take the 5th.
2. I was screaming at Pickford to stop launching his goal kicks and clears and just pass the ball to Maguire or Stones. Southgate should have intervened because that told all the players to play very cautious and just clear when in doubt. You can't play like that at this level for 70 minutes and expect to win. Only when we gave up the goal did Pickford actually make some short passes.
3. Graelish should have come on much earlier for Mount who was not having a good match or tournament.

Halftrack

Imagine being the kind of cnut who sees a player making positive change in the world through his charity work and goes "he can only do one, and it should be football." Imagine being that much of an entitled wanker.

Flytan

I don't think his charity work would keep him from being good at football. I just don't think he is very good, certainly not the face of a club or country. Fact is people love him because of his charity work and they elevate how good of a footballer is because of that. In reality he's a wildly inconsistent player who can score some bangers but is more likely to just dribble into the opposing team. People want him to be "the best" because it would make for a better story when in reality he's just a good to great player who cares more about the world outside of football (not saying it's bad, it's a choice). He's one of my favorite players but people elevate him to a level he has never reached and likely never will because he spends his time doing charity work.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't think his charity work would keep him from being good at football. I just don't think he is very good, certainly not the face of a club or country. Fact is people love him because of his charity work and they elevate how good of a footballer is because of that. In reality he's a wildly inconsistent player who can score some bangers but is more likely to just dribble into the opposing team. People want him to be "the best" because it would make for a better story when in reality he's just a good to great player who cares more about the world outside of football (not saying it's bad, it's a choice). He's one of my favorite players but people elevate him to a level he has never reached and likely never will because he spends his time doing charity work.
Charity work has literally zero impact on his football.

Ixion

Imagine being the kind of cnut who sees a player making positive change in the world through his charity work and goes "he can only do one, and it should be football." Imagine being that much of an entitled wanker.
Those people actually don't give a shit about his football performances or what he does for United. They are politically guided comments disguised by "concern" about his football. And they're exactly the same people that boo when he takes a knee.

So Rashford does Charity work, I'm sure loads of the squad spend the same number of hours playing video games, or something else equally pointless. The only difference is people know what Rashford does so feel they have a stick to beat him with because they have an insight into his personal life, whereas they're clueless about the others so can't offer an amazing insights why another player has a shit game.

Dr. Dwayne

You're saying devoting hundreds of hours to something doesn't have an impact on something else?
You made the claim, now tell us why the charity work impacts his football. Maybe you can collaborate with the sherrif up there and put together a nice PowerPoint or something.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

:lol:

Have to laugh. That's got to be the single most stupid line I've read all day...and that's after flicking through a copy of my mum's Daily Mail

Flytan

You made the claim, now tell us why the charity work impacts his football. Maybe you can collaborate with the sherrif up there and put together a nice PowerPoint or something.
?

I'm not sure how anyone can think otherwise. If you have 90 hours a week to do something and you spend 90 hours doing one thing, that one thing will be done better than spending 45 hours doing two things. Again, not a single player in the world ONLY focuses on football. They all have hobbies, families, lives, and other things they devote time to (and they should, anyone would go insane). I don't think his charity work is what made him a mediocre footballer (I said that in my original post), I just don't think he's a very good player. Just not sure how anyone can make the argument that it doesn't affect his football. It does. And that's fine. It's something he cares about.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Very sad
We all know what's sad around here my friend....obviously a poster with a deep personality disorder

Dr. Dwayne

?

I'm not sure how anyone can think otherwise. If you have 90 hours a week to do something and you spend 90 hours doing one thing, that one thing will be done better than spending 45 hours doing two things. Again, not a single player in the world ONLY focuses on football. They all have hobbies, families, lives, and other things they devote time to (and they should, anyone would go insane). I don't think his charity work is what made him a mediocre footballer (I said that in my original post), I just don't think he's a very good player. Just not sure how anyone can make the argument that it doesn't affect his football. It does. And that's fine. It's something he cares about.
You basically debunked your own theory there. Nicely done.