Proud of Rashford, Maguire and Sancho to Step Up

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Have to say it. Look at all those who played every minute who refused to step up. Rashford and Sancho were horribly misused all tournament, and had the balls to step up and take a pen, which is great to see. Yes, they missed. But they're both so young, both hardly played all tournament and both still without hesitation wanted to be up there. That's a winners mentality. Props to Saka as well, insane from Southgate in the first place to make them the takers but you have to give those 3 young guys credit to be willing to step up and take key penalties penalties other key players were too scared of it.

hobbers

Putting players on for pens without giving them even time in the game to run about or have a kick is just shitty management.

Sterling is on for 120 minutes and yet doesnt take a penalty - why? Take him off 5 mins into ET and give Rashford or Sancho at least a chance to get up to speed and settle into the occassion.

Wasn't Rashford in his kit and ready to come on for most of ET? Yet doesnt come on until 117 minutes...

Bondi77

Yep, Our players stood up tonight and showed real character and anyone who says Maguire is not a leader does not know the meaning of the word.

A-man

Did they have much choice? Either take the pens or don’t play anything at all in the final. That’s not a free choice, in reality. Stupid to sub players in the last minute just for them to take a penalty.

Leg-End

Thrown on with 1 minute left to take penalties is just poor management. Works for GK’s occasionally but does it ever for takers?

Bondi77

Putting players on for pens without giving them even time in the game to run about or have a kick is just shitty management.

Sterling is on for 120 minutes and yet doesnt take a penalty - why? Take him off 5 mins into ET and give Rashford or Sancho at least a chance to get up to speed and settle into the occassion.

Wasn't Rashford in his kit and ready to come on for most of ET? Yet doesnt come on until 117 minutes...
I think it takes a bit of thought before you take a penalty so that ruled out Sterling

MrBest

Thrown on with 1 minute left to take penalties is just poor management. Works for GK’s occasionally but does it ever for takers?
For same reason, can't blame them at all. Southgate had the squad, just did not know how to use them.

Chief123

Wtf kind of planning came to the conclusion that Saka should take the 5th penalty?

Hes never taken a penalty for Arsenal. Such bizarre planning.

No one knows who will score. But the planning should have had Rashford/Sancho taking the 5th ahead of Saka. Yes they both missed anyway but to plan the order that they stepped up was just wrong.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’m proud of the United players of course but I also feel immense pride in Saka! What a lad!

I despise Arsenal which makes it terrible that I like this boy so much.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Disappointing but I'm happy with the journey England have been on in this Tournament.

We've had our fairshare of the green. Nice fixture list, being largely at home , dubious penalty decision that ruled in our favour against Denmark.
But the lads have done well. They're a good batch and I hope to see England continue to progress with the talent they've got at their disposal now.

And fundamentally it's just a game, something a certain section of the English fanbase should keep in mind from time to time.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
21 year old and a 19 year old taking your last 2 penalties in a European final, what could go wrong?

feck me.

passing-wind

This is a crucial point especially the likes of Saka and Sancho who certainly at domestic career haven't played at such a high level with pressure and expectation. I'd give Rashford a pass he's proven to be a big game player, he took a good penalty but his concentration not looking at the ball faulted his approach.

At the end of the day the future will show the managers / players mentality. Will they redefine failure as feedback ? Learn, pivot and readjust. Or will they crumble due to being scarred by the occasion. It's a testament of character.

Welbeckham

Literally last match of the season worked with both Mata and Telles. When did it last work with a keeper?
Would’ve won that match by subbing the keeper.

And subbing the keeper is really rare for obvious reasons, so hard to compare those two.

bugmat

Literally last match of the season worked with both Mata and Telles. When did it last work with a keeper?
Mata and Telles are experienced players though. It was bad in-game management and inflexibility all around from Southgate. It was predetermined allegedly from training, with no regards to what actually happened in the game, such as Saka not having a great appearance after being subbed in and so not in the best frame of mind to take a historic penalty at 19 years of age.

mancsarered

All the United players in the England side should be proud. The fault belongs to their manager.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
All the players should be proud of their progress in this Tournament.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Proud of the lads. They did great. Shaw scored one of the goals of the tournament in the final. Feel bad for them that they couldn't celebrate a win.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I am a United fan since 68. Also a proud Irishman. I have loads of English friends but I must be honest I didn't want England to win last night.
That said I feel for Rashford, Sancho and Saka. Hard luck lads but the better team won. Once again England were let down by an ultra cautious manager.

Ixion

Had to be a couple of United players that missed penalties, United always needs to be the scapegoat. Balls of steel from all the ones that stepped up to take a penalty (especially Saka).

feck England. The better team won, blaming anyone for missing a penalty is pathetic, and most of the people doing that are just using it as an excuse to aim abuse where they always wanted to.

Chicharo

Southgate ruined you. You don't bring in a player just to take a penalty without him even touching the ball before that. Especially an inexperienced one.
The decision to let a 19-year old player to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders is abysmal.
He should've chosen Grealish or Sterling

jackal&hyde

All the United players in the England side should be proud. The fault belongs to their manager.
I agree. Shaw and Maguire have been great and hopefully they can get the much needed rest now.

Rashford and Sancho, don't really know what to think. On the one hand I'm glad they didn't play too much as I want them fresh for the season, especially Rashford. On the other hand, they must be devastated after not even having a chance to impact the final through open play but put under pressure on the pens. Terrible manager.

Yeah, and that went well.

Mata and Telles are experienced heads who have been here numerous times, especially Mata. Rashford and Sancho are kids.
And it might have worked with Romero if our own manager wasn't equally incompetent at in game management.

Red Star One

Indeed. Shaw and Maguire were the most reliable players Southgate had and he could count on them all throughout the tournament. Speak volumes zero City players would be there for the shootout or to take a bit of responsibility on their shoulders, bar Sterling notorious dives (quite anti-climax I'd say and that's not really leadership even if wins you a pen or two) the provided very little. Makes the City CL loss also much more predictable in the hindsight. The fact that United players were probably the strongest mentally out there is a great indicator for us.

Kaos

This, along with Southgate throwing Greenwood under the bus has made me really start to really dislike him. Shocking man management.

spiriticon

I'm really proud of their character. Took the pressure on the chin despite getting shunted all tournament by the English Mourinho.

Proud of them. A centre back and two kids stepping up in the biggest game they will probably ever play in. And Saka, fecking 19 and being put in that situation by Southgate of all people. If ever there was proof he's not up to the job that was it.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Proud of the lads. Maguire's penalty was literally perfect, too. Generally happy for Maguire and Shaw as they've been best English players on the night by far.

Gator Nate

Sterling should have been off at the half. Kept losing the ball when he didn't have to... bad decisions.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Thanks for your contribution.

Proud of the lads too. Criminal mismanagement by Southgate. And what a pen by Maguire, he broke the camera.
I was angry n passed im still angry but it's on the manager and tactical set up. We should've started the 2nd half like the first this was 2018 all over again.

Real Name

I was angry n passed im still angry but it's on the manager and tactical set up. We should've started the 2nd half like the first this was 2018 all over again.
Agreed. It was basically copied (Bonucci equalised in 67th minute, Perisic in 68th (!!)). Started strong but faded as the game went on. Actually in 2018 England was better in the 1st half, in the second Croatia took over. Yesterday England started to defend deep already in the 1st half and just let Italians take the domination and pass the ball. Kane was making Italians all kind of problems yet from the 20, 25th minute he was closer to his goal then to Italian one.