Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bosws87

Xbox SX is for third party releases also for me, as they'll simply perform better. Exclusives solely on PS.
That's how it was meant to work on paper, but it's just not true there's countless examples of the PS5 out performing on 3rd party games.

Paper spec it shouldn't ever be the case, reality its not so clear cut.

Shark

@NotShark
That's how it was meant to work on paper, but it's just not true there's countless examples of the PS5 out performing on 3rd party games.

Paper spec it shouldn't ever be the case, reality its not so clear cut.
At the very start of the generation some SX titles had weird frame rate bugs because of development tools not being readily available, but they were later patched up. Now pretty much everything performs better on SX including the new Mass Effect LE and Resident Evil Village.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
At the very start of the generation some SX titles had weird frame rate bugs because of development tools not being readily available, but they were later patched up. Now pretty much everything performs better on SX including the new Mass Effect LE and Resident Evil Village.
Simply not true. Stop spreading lies.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Couple of seconds better on PS5 but SX has that sweet quick resume. A feature that still blows my mind no matter how many times I've used it now.
Imagine if Returnal could use quick resume. @b82REZ wouldn't be afraid to play it.

Bosws87

Also not entirely true as a digital foundry subscriber i've seen all the videos plenty of examples where the Xbox had a superior resolution performs better in one mode but then when they switched to high framerate mode the playstation performed better.

Its not as clear cut as you are trying to make it out to be. ;)

Both have certain advantages in different scenarios.

Reiver

I've loved my Sony consoles, always have and always will, even with my slightly fragile but beautiful new controllers (that no doubt Sony will sort) and the thought of buying an X Box is a wretch inducing affair but ultimately I will want to play Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6. That, alongside the fact that the sequel to one of may favourite games of recent times, Hellblade, is going to be Microsoft exclusive means I'll have to take the plunge and own two consoles.
This is the situation I'm in. Coming round to the idea that it doesn't have to be an either or scenario. Get both, have the best of both worlds

BristolRuss

Also not entirely true as a digital foundry subscriber i've seen all the videos plenty of examples where the Xbox had a superior resolution performs better in one mode but then when they switched to high framerate mode the playstation performed better.

Its not as clear cut as you are trying to make it out to be. ;)

Both have certain advantages in different scenarios.
You clearly need to go watch some more DF videos then. Every game recently has run better on Xbox.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Couple of seconds better on PS5 but SX has that sweet quick resume. A feature that still blows my mind no matter how many times I've used it now.
Comfortably faster on ps5 and dual sense features too. A feature that still blows my mind no matter how many time I’ve used it now.

Besides it’s a far cry from those absolutely ridiculous rumours a while ago that resi 8 was supposedly struggling to work on the ps5 etc, when in reality as per really they’re more or less identical.

Shark

@NotShark
Comfortably faster on ps5 and dual sense features too. A feature that still blows my mind no matter how many time I’ve used it now.

Besides it’s a far cry from those absolutely ridiculous rumours a while ago that resi 8 was supposedly struggling to work on the ps5 etc, when in reality as per really they’re more or less identical.
Indeed, I've both consoles dude so not fanboying or anything, love them both. Just went with the SX version cause DF showcased it performing better with Ray Tracing on. Both are pretty much identical otherwise.

Bosws87

You clearly need to go watch some more DF videos then. Every game recently has run better on Xbox.
Nah i don't i just don't have to pedal bullshit to make myself feel better about a console i own. :lol:

I'd have both if PC didn't cover the Microsoft side, i haven't played my PS5 properly for months, I'm gaming at 1080p mainly i'm well passed caring about resolution.

Stick to hyping up the actual good features of the Xbox like VRR support and the way backwards compatibility has been done which allows them to improve the frame rates on loads of old games instead of the annoying Sony method which requires the developer specifically patching the game to do anything about it.

As its certainly not the actual new games, its an expensive emulator currently that's just reality.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people Xbox had exclusives.
A great post.

All I'm getting from this thread is that PS5 players like to only play the newest shiniest games they've seen advertised on buses.
Well... yes?

Yeah I don't get it either. Here I am having played or finished Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, GTA 5, Bloodstained, Call of the Sea, Lost Odyssey, Gardens Between Worlds, MLB: The Show 2k21, Hellblade, PES 2021, The Evil Within, Forza Horizon 4, Forza Motorsport 7, The Medium, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Celeste, FM 2021, Katana Zero, Little Nightmares, Tetris Effect, Dragon Quest VIII, and Ori and the Blind Forest... all for less money than it costs to buy, uh, Returnal?

Maybe I'm the dope :lol:
A lot of us dont have the time to play through all that old or b-tier stuff. Quality over quantity. Dunno where some of you get the time to burn through all that.

Ive got both and have used them an equal amount

Xbox is purely game pass machine, everything else on the PS

I regret nothing
Another great post.

Bollocks. Back it up with proof.

Shark

@NotShark
Nah i don't i just don't have to pedal bullshit to make myself feel better about a console i own. :lol:

I'd have both if PC didn't cover the Microsoft side, i haven't played my PS5 properly for months, I'm gaming at 1080p mainly i'm well passed caring about resolution.
What's that even supposed to mean? surely it's almost common knowledge that the SX is performing better in newer releases. The videos you are referring to (if you can name them that'd be great) are probably ones around the start of the generation.

afrocentricity

What's that even supposed to mean? surely it's almost common knowledge that the SX is performing better in newer releases. The videos you are referring to (if you can name them that'd be great) are probably ones around the start of the generation.
Peep the thread you are in, if you are going to make claims, back them up with links, video, something? You could quantify better while you're at it too...

Bosws87

Marvel Avengers runs smoother PS5 as they sensibly dropped the resolution to keep the frame rate steady,

Hitman 3 better on Series X

MLB the show better on PS5 (yes its a sony developed title)

Resident Evil village slightly better frame rate on series X with ray tracing on.

They are off the top of my head the latest comparison of actual next gen games and not backwards compatibility games.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Peep the thread you are in, if you are going to make claims, back them up with links, video, something? You could quantify better while you're at it too...
What about one of if not the most popular game in existence right now? Warzone runs at 120 on SX. Ps5 can’t.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Currently for next gen games there isn't a single reason to own an xbox over a ps5, thats just the truth.

in 5 years time maybe it will be a different story.
Apart from the ones you mentioned running better, and the one you said runs better on ps5 being available for just £10 for the entire year, along with all the other games.

And not needing a new controller after a few months.

afrocentricity

What about one of if not the most popular game in existence right now? Warzone runs at 120 on SX. Ps5 can’t.
Thats great for the dozens of people that game at 120FPS....

Edit: Hey I'm sure @Shark just quoted me with the same 4 games in @Bosws87 post above...

Shark

@NotShark
Marvel Avengers runs smoother PS5 as they sensibly dropped the resolution to keep the frame rate steady,

Hitman 3 better on Series X

MLB the show better on PS5 (yes its a sony developed title)

Resident Evil village slightly better frame rate on series X with ray tracing on.

They are off the top of my head the latest comparison of actual next gen games and not backwards compatibility games.
PS5 uses checkerboard on Avengers, Xbox uses native 4k and the difference is quite noticeable.

Mass Effect as mentioned runs at 120fps on SX

RE Village I'd also mentioned. You're right Xbox performs better with RT on which is why I picked it up on SX, not PS5.

What's better on MBL PS5?

Last edited:

Bosws87

PS5 uses checkerboard on Avengers, Xbox uses native 4k and the difference is quite noticeable.

Mass Effect as mentioned runs at 120fps on SX

RE Village I'd also mentioned. You're right Xbox performs better with RT on which is why I picked it on SX, not PS5.

What's better on MBL PS5? Frame rate?

Warzone another mention from others.
Warzone is backwards compatibility mode which is why xbox can run it so easily at 120fps which i said was a positive way sony did it a stupid way.

Mass Effect

"the delivery isn't as solid as I'd hoped, especially in the first Mass Effect's opener. Stretches of play will hit a sustained 120fps, but crucial locations like the Citadel sit between 80 to 120fps, with even the opening Eden Prime mission struggling to rise above 100fps for crucial battles. Again, dynamic resolution scaling is in play in this mode too"

You can't claim xbox is superior on a game which uses dynamic resolution and doesn't stick close to its target framerate then bring up checkerboarding at a rock solid frame rate and claim xbox is superior because it runs worse but is a higher resolution (avengers) :lol:

Rock solid framerate at 1440p or above is miles better then a shaky framerate at 4k on any platform.

frame rate > resolution it seems this might be the generation the mass market might work it out.

PS. Mass effect is once again a backwards compatibility game hence the significant advantage it isn't a native ps5 game.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
Warzone is backwards compatibility mode which is why xbox can run it so easily at 120fps which i said was a positive way sony did it a stupid way.

Mass Effect

"the delivery isn't as solid as I'd hoped, especially in the first Mass Effect's opener. Stretches of play will hit a sustained 120fps, but crucial locations like the Citadel sit between 80 to 120fps, with even the opening Eden Prime mission struggling to rise above 100fps for crucial battles. Again, dynamic resolution scaling is in play in this mode too"

You can't claim xbox is superior on a game which uses dynamic resolution and doesn't stick close to its target framerate then bring up checkerboarding at a rock solid frame rate and claim xbox is superior because it runs worse but is a higher resolution (avengers) :lol:

Rock solid framerate at 1440p or above is miles better then a shaky framerate at 4k on any platform.

frame rate > resolution it seems this might be the generation the mass market might work it out.
It's still an option though, that the PS5 doesn't have, which again comes down to preference especially if you own both consoles. It'd be daft for me to go with the PS5 version when I have a TV that supports higher than 60fps. On Avengers yes the frame rate isn't as stable because the Xbox is using native 4K but again preference. In that case I'd take the higher resolution because regardless of the frames the checkerboard rendering on that game is horrible on the PS5 if you seen DF's video on it. A few dips in frame rate can't always be classed as shaky unless it's major ones.

Bosws87

It's still an option though, that the PS5 doesn't have, which again comes down to preference especially if you own both consoles. It'd be daft for me to go with the PS5 version when I have a TV that supports higher than 60fps. On Avengers yes the frame rate isn't as stable because the Xbox is using native 4K but again preference. In that case I'd take the higher resolution because regardless of the FR the checkerboard rendering on that game is horrible on the PS5 if you seen DF's video on it. A few dips in frame rate can't always be classed as shaky unless it's major ones.
Now its preference, i game at 450 fps on the main games i play so big frame drops are a huge issue i can tell when a game goes down to < 200 fps.

Its incredibly close between the two consoles in reality, people are too stuck on tflop numbers on paper which ain't the be all and end all in reality.

Nothing like the PS4 Pro and One X the gap was huge, Sony just had the better software library as the tech gap was massive (same applies on the original consoles the One was a piece of crap)

My initial point was currently you have one console with Demons Souls, Returnal, Spiderman Miles Morales and Ratchet around the corner.

The other console has The Medium (trash) and that's it the rest are shared third party titles or back compatibility games.

Take away silly favouritism to a piece of hardware and in it's current state their is only one next gen console to own right now.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Now its preference, i game at 450 fps on the main games i play so big frame drops are a huge issue i can tell when a game goes down to < 200 fps.

Its incredibly close between the two consoles in reality, people are too stuck on tflop numbers on paper which ain't the be all and end all in reality.

Nothing like the PS4 Pro and One X the gap was huge, Sony just had the better software library as the tech gap was massive (same applies on the original consoles the One was a piece of crap)

My initial point was currently you have one console with Demons Souls, Returnal, Spiderman Miles Morales and Ratchet around the corner.

The other console has The Medium (trash) and that's it the rest are shared third party titles or back compatibility games.

Take away silly favouritism to a piece of hardware and in it's current state their is only one next gen console to own right now.
Post of the year.

afrocentricity

XBox guys still pretending they can see all those extra pixels... while pretending they can't see all those dropped frames. Thank God for VRR I guess... If you have it.

But for real, is it just those 4 games? Y'all were claiming it was everything performing better in the X.

This coming from the guy that never stops talking about VR
VR market is in the tens of millions, now I don't know how many people have 120FPS but it's not that many. Still reckon it's comparable? And I'll never stop taking about VR!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
VR market is in the tens of millions, now I don't know how many people have 120FPS but it's not that many. Still reckon it's comparable? And I'll never stop taking about VR!
Afro talking about evidence then coming out with this :lol:

I do still reckon it’s comparable yeah, despite the mic drop statement of “I don't know how many people have 120FPS but it's not that many”

Shark

@NotShark

Thought your initial point was that the Series X isn't performing better on more recent titles, then you listed some games that do perform better recently. You seem to be the only poster showing favoritism here by saying that also :lol: both consoles are great for different reasons in their current state as an owner of both. No wrong decision whatever one chosen.

Last edited: