Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rotherham_red

Nor me … until I owned an Xbox.

Granted I’m a long time, self confessed PS fan but I genuinely bought the Xbox with an open mind specifically to play Starfield. I turned to the Xbox a bit sooner than planned after my PS5 went pop and had about 4 - 5 months before the release of Starfield where the Xbox was my primary machine.

I was kind of looking forward to trying some of the exclusives but honestly, Forza, GOW, Halo, all really disappointing. Everything good on gamepass I’d already played or owned on PS5. As Dusk Falls and Ori were the best games i played.

That being said, Sea of thieves had great potential and I enjoyed that but never did too much.

It’s ok. It works. Graphically it seems good. However, the look of the thing, the controller, especially the feel of them, the UI, the noises it makes, Gamepass, everything just feels of lesser quality than the PS5.

Having got my new PS5, booting it up, hitting PSVR2 and the new COD just felt like going home. The controller sits naturally in the hand, the whole thing just feels like a premium bit of kit in comparison.

The Xbox is now up in my daughters room assigned to teenage Roblox and Minecraft duties where it will stay until Hellblade 2 is released.

Having owned both machines I find it genuinely perplexing that anyone would choose the MS machine over Sonys.
You pretty much nailed it in terms of my experience too. The controller part especially. It just doesn't 'fit' like the Dualshocks/Dualsense does/did.

I bought it in 2021 a year after getting the PS5 as I thought the exclusives would be worth a try on GPU, but honestly, it just wasn't the same experience as the PS5 for pretty much the same reasons you outlined, and with the delays of the various games, in the end I barely played it. I mean, the only positive is that I was able to check out games that I would have otherwise bought like Lies of P and Wo Long, so in that sense I can appreciate it, but in over two years, that was all I could say about it? It's not great, is it?

My GPU subscription ran out in December and I haven't renewed it. I've passed the Xbox on to my nephews so that they can play Fortnite on it, and I'll renew the GPU in May to check in on Hellblade 2 when it's out, but from all the games updated on this week, it was only that and *maybe* Indiana Jones that truly piqued my interest. Avowed really should have been third person, and the rest were meh.

Balljy

You pretty much nailed it in terms of my experience too. The controller part especially. It just doesn't 'fit' like the Dualshocks/Dualsense does/did.

I bought it in 2021 a year after getting the PS5 as I thought the exclusives would be worth a try on GPU, but honestly, it just wasn't the same experience as the PS5 for pretty much the same reasons you outlined, and with the delays of the various games, in the end I barely played it. I mean, the only positive is that I was able to check out games that I would have otherwise bought like Lies of P and Wo Long, so in that sense I can appreciate it, but in over two years, that was all I could say about it? It's not great, is it?

My GPU subscription ran out in December and I haven't renewed it. I've passed the Xbox on to my nephews so that they can play Fortnite on it, and I'll renew the GPU in May to check in on Hellblade 2 when it's out, but from all the games updated on this week, it was only that and *maybe* Indiana Jones that truly piqued my interest. Avowed really should have been third person, and the rest were meh.
I think there's something about it that suits younger people pretty well. My nephews prefer it to PS, and I think it's to do with how they market GP and how a couple of their bigger titles like Forza Horizon 5 are targeting those age groups with its nods to social media etc.

Scottynaldinho

Sony fans are still suffering from the win of the 360. Remember, sony can win all generation wars but that one will always, always, always hurt you.

Scottynaldinho

Sony won that generation in the end.
It was a tongue in cheek comment.

Although MS did catch Sony by surprise, the PS3 was it's own enemy with the cell architecture. Developers just wouldn't bother with the extra work and resources needed to unlock it's full potential.

rotherham_red

Sony fans are still suffering from the win of the 360. Remember, sony can win all generation wars but that one will always, always, always hurt you.
Hahaha I'm not a fanboy, far from it in fact. I pretty much ducked out from gaming from the PS2 days up until COVID. I bought the XSX with the hope that I would enjoy it and the purchase would be justified. Up until now, it hasn't. Hopefully that changes with the steady release of exclusives from Microsoft...

rotherham_red

I think there's something about it that suits younger people pretty well. My nephews prefer it to PS, and I think it's to do with how they market GP and how a couple of their bigger titles like Forza Horizon 5 are targeting those age groups with its nods to social media etc.
That's a fair point

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, PlayStation's 1st party games this year are so much better. I mean they have.......
It undeniably has better games so far (1st 2nd whatever party) despite people thinking it’s been ‘lean’. MS have to catch up as usual.

Fully Fledged

It undeniably has better games so far (1st 2nd whatever party) despite people thinking it’s been ‘lean’. MS have to catch up as usual.
See how you had to add second party into the mix to even have a hope of being right.

And yet.

In a recent Xbox Wire post, Microsoft reveals some off the most important indicators of success for the Xbox business, confirming that its first-party labels have shipped 10 separate games that have amassed over 10 million players each. This has culminated in an eye-opening figure: Xbox first-party games enjoy over 150 million monthly active players, including competing platforms like PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, and Steam.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9182...-most-important-kpis-modern-gaming/index.html

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
See how you had to add second party into the mix to even have a hope of being right.

And yet.
You ever wonder why MS switched to active players instead of units or revenue? Or why they are thinking about bringing games to PlayStation and Nintendo?

Their games don't make any money........ and that explains the slow drop in quality. The emphasis is purely on active players and the games are reflecting that....

Similar to Sony's momentary infatuation with live service, which has also lead to a drop but in content not quality (seems to be both for MS)

Both bad ideas to focus on, get back to quality and innovation!

Fully Fledged

You ever wonder why MS switched to active players instead of units or revenue? Or why they are thinking about bringing games to PlayStation and Nintendo?

Their games don't make any money........ and that explains the slow drop in quality. The emphasis is purely on active players and the games are reflecting that....

Similar to Sony's momentary infatuation with live service, which has also lead to a drop but in content not quality (seems to be both for MS)

Both bad ideas to focus on, get back to quality and innovation!
Maybe because they have all their games release on GP.

Microsoft has released its earnings report for the first quarter of the 2024 fiscal year, which ended up September 30, 2023.

Xbox gaming revenue increased by $309 million or nine percent year-on-year due to "growth in Xbox content and services."

Xbox content & services revenue increased 13 percent. This was due to "growth in first-party content and Xbox Game Pass." Xbox hardware revenue declined seven percent due to lower number of consoles sold that was partially offset by higher price of consoles sold.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Palworld Xbox US player numbers briefly surpass Fortnite, as Steam sales hit 8m in six days

Just saw this on Eurogamer so I thought I'd just leave it here. I suppose the usual lot will be along soon to tell us why Xbox isn't winning 2024 :rolleyes:

hobbers

Palworld Xbox US player numbers briefly surpass Fortnite, as Steam sales hit 8m in six days

Just saw this on Eurogamer so I thought I'd just leave it here. I suppose the usual lot will be along soon to tell us why Xbox isn't winning 2024 :rolleyes:
Microsoft will look at the £200m the game has made on steam sales in less than a week and fecking weep :lol:

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
You just know once games go subscription only you're going to have about 4 billion ads every hour. Imagine after every game of multiplayer cod, you get to sit through a 2 minute ad for enhanced gaming socks.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Is this the game using AI artwork etc?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I don't see the appeal for anybody over 12