Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Castia

Everyone is raving about the new PS controller it’s supposed to be amazing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Everyone was deperate to rave about something, let's be honest. There's literally nothing else to rave about with the PS5 is there?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I'm curious to get my hands on it. I know that Forza 5 impulse triggers on my Xbox One was a really cool moment initially and I spoke about how good they were here, but then no game ever took advantage of them and ultimately it was a waste. And even on Forza, the novelty wore quick and you stop noticing. I'm sure the first party games will find some ways to leverage it, but then those sequences are often forced and really fcking annoying.

I like that the new sticks are still concave and the triggers seem better. Dualshock 4 was much better than 3 but there were still some issues for me. I just wish they'd swap the left stick and the d-pad.

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Majority of people turn vibrations off or adjust to lowest setting anyway. For me it’s all about the sound. A speaker in the controller is cool and all, but majority also wear a headset. It’s pushed as a game changer when in reality it won’t be used at all in the end

its shape does look more ergonomic though. I haven’t liked the feel of ps controllers ever.

macheda14

I'm curious to get my hands on it. I know that Forza 5 impulse triggers on my Xbox One was a really cool moment initially and I spoke about how good they were here, but then no game ever took advantage of them and ultimately it was a waste. And even on Forza, the novelty wore quick and you stop noticing. I'm sure the first party games will find some ways to leverage it, but then those sequences are often forced and really fcking annoying.

I like that the new sticks are concave and the triggers seem better. Dualshock 4 was much better than 3 but those were still 2 issues for me. I just wish they'd swap the left stick and the d-pad.
I don’t really see what difference having the left stick central or slightly up and to the left makes. When it’s central it completely mirrors the right stick - why is it more comfortable for the sticks to be asymmetrical?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don’t really see what difference having the left stick central or slightly up and to the left makes. When it’s central it completely mirrors the right stick - why is it more comfortable for the sticks to be asymmetrical?
You have buttons on one-side which are used substantially more than the d-pad on the other.

altodevil

The best thing about the Xbox controllers are those thicc boi handles/grips anyway.

Alock1

Dunno man, ergonomics and shit?

I just know it feels way more comfortable. My thumbs naturally sit at the top of a controller when holding it and that feels to be less strainful. Ultimately the most used buttons should be in near reach of where your thumbs feel most comfortable / at their natural position. You use the left thumb stick way more than a d-pad so it makes sense that it'd be closer to your thumb.

On the right, both buttons and thumbstick are used a lot, but outside of shooters you'd have to say that the face buttons are used more often, so make sense there

I also feel that there is something in them being assymetrical which helps convey to your brain that they are doing different tasks and so pointing forward with one doesn't require you to point forwards the other.

Bosws87

By the sounds of it we may have a new king in the controller department it’s been hard to argue with the fact that the Xbox controller since the 360 has been superior overall, it may finally of been reversed I look forward to trying it out!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
By the sounds of it we may have a new king in the controller department it’s been hard to argue with the fact that the Xbox controller since the 360 has been superior overall, it may finally of been reversed I look forward to trying it out!
Switch controller outdid the Xbox one a few years ago. But yes DualSense will revolutionise controllers in gaming like nothing we have ever seen before. Exciting times.

altodevil

Switch controller outdid the Xbox one a few years ago. But yes DualSense will revolutionise controllers in gaming like nothing we have ever seen before. Exciting times.
The Switch Pro controller? Are you joking?

Alock1

As someone who has both, it really didn't

Good controller but come on now

DavelinaJolie

I think the layout makes a big difference, but the caveat is it depends what you are playing. I never got on with the DS4 layout, because the left stick felt unnaturally placed. To me the Xbox One controller is the perfect fit and layout in the way it encourages you to hold it, and the thumb naturally falls into place on that left stick. Playing with a DS4 I felt like it was having to crane my thumb to the stick and it never quite worked for me. Given the stick is what I use most, over the d-pad, that made me want to use the Xbox one controller over the DS4. Conversely if I used a d-pad more I'd probably favour the DS4, though I never found it comfortable to grip either, too many lines.

I never played an old school platformer on the PS4, but I could imagine the DS4 worked much better for a game like Celeste because of the d-pad placement. I remember doing the C-Sides and after a particularly frustrating death wishing that I had a DS4 layout so I could be using a d-pad for more accurate directional control. Playing with the Xbox controller I had the same craning issue to get to the d-pad so I defaulted to the stick in the beginning and didn't want to essentially re-learn to play the game 90% of the way through.

The Dual Sense certainly seems interesting, the form change is really cool and looks like it will fit more naturally in the hand and be more comfortable to hold. I'm surprised they stuck with the track pad to be honest, since it just became a map button. And that there is the concern, that the new features will just be neglected over time or used in the most basic way just to say they are being used.

Last edited:

Ainu

I love my Switch Pro controller but come one, it doesn't even have real triggers. Great ergonomy and especially battery life, but my god do I hate the d-pad. In terms of ergonomy I find the difference with the Xbox One controller (which I use on pc) minimal, but the One still wins it due to its triggers and much improved d-pad over the 360 controller.

The Dualshock 4 is still king in terms of d-pad. I know you don't use it that often, but in a heavily menu driven game like Dragon Quest XI for example, it's crucial. I'm playing that on the Switch and I'm actually doing menu commands using the joystick, which feels terrible, but still better than that god awful d-pad. I think having the d-pad on the "main" part of the controller is what makes it so much better on PS. Like it's spread out a bit more so each direction is a bit more defined or something. So yeah, I certainly don't dislike the symmetrical design if it helps support a superior d-pad!

Alock1

I have both. Switch Pro is better.
In what way?

It's a solid controller. It's clearly modelled on the Xbox one.

Triggers are poor in comparison for a start, but it doesn't matter much with Nintendo games. The d-pad is also terrible. Analogues are even Id say, and personally I prefer the Xbox controller weight but that's a preference.

It has HD Rumble but Xbox has impulse triggers. Both are cool on a game that showcases them but for the most part a non-event

Not sure in what areas it is better, unless you care about NFC and motion control.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
In what way?

It's a solid controller. It's clearly modelled on the Xbox one.

Triggers are poor in comparison for a start, but it doesn't matter much with Nintendo games. The d-pad is also terrible. Analogues are even Id say, and personally I prefer the Xbox controller weight but that's a preference.

It has HD Rumble but Xbox has impulse triggers. Both are cool on a game that showcases them but for the most part a non-event

Not sure in what areas it is better, unless you care about NFC and motion control.
It feels nicer to hold and use. But I must be weird, caring most about how a controller feels in my hand.

oh and it has an amazing, built in battery, that helps too.

Alock1

It feels nicer to hold and use. But I must be weird, caring most about how a controller feels in my hand.

oh and it has an amazing, built in battery, that helps too.
Like the Elite, even though you said that didn't have a battery pack

Not weird and I mentioned the same in reverse (& yes I know you were being sarcastic). But that is obviously a preference thing. The d-pad and triggers are pretty much universally recognised as better in the Xbox controller.

DavelinaJolie

You're all talking about personal preference and ergonomics in relation to your individual hands like it's not subjective.

You're also all talking to people who are disingenuously downgrading things because they want to be contrary, look cool, and have such an emotional investment in a electronic item that they need to dismiss competing pieces of electronics to fill that sad empty life they have with some kind of validation. If you want that deep a relationship with some electronics, get a fleshlight lads.

buckooo1978

so when do you think we might be able to order one of these consoles as part of a bundle - we are talking into 2021 I'd imagine?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Like the Elite, even though you said that didn't have a battery pack

Not weird and I mentioned the same in reverse (& yes I know you were being sarcastic). But that is obviously a preference thing. The d-pad and triggers are pretty much universally recognised as better in the Xbox controller.
the elite is over double the price, a stupid comparison. For that cost if it wasn't the absolute best out there I'd be pretty pissed off.

I actually think the OG 360 controller is better than the XBONE one. I have both for PC and sometimes I use my wired 360 controller cause it's nicer to use. That was a fecking awesome controller. Especially considering how awful the PS3 controller was.

I don't use controllers to play games online really so maybe I don't notice shitty d-pads or triggers or whatnot as much, like you say. For me the switch pro just has a comfort and ease of use no others have.

Alock1

the elite is over double the price, a stupid comparison. For that cost if it wasn't the absolute best out there I'd be pretty pissed off.

I actually think the OG 360 controller is better than the XBONE one. I have both for PC and sometimes I use my wired 360 controller cause it's nicer to use. That was a fecking awesome controller. Especially considering how awful the PS3 controller was.

I don't use controllers to play games online really so maybe I don't notice shitty d-pads or triggers or whatnot as much, like you say. For me the switch pro just has a comfort and ease of use no others have.
I'm not comparing the elite, I was just reminding you that you said it didn't have a battery pack. For the cost of a Switch Pro you can buy an Xbox One controller with a play and charge kit.

Fair enough. And some will prefer Dualshock. But I think to say Switch Pro is better is a strange take when 2 of the most used functions are consistently seen as the controller's greatest flaw.

It's better than the dualshock 4 though for sure

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You're all talking about personal preference and ergonomics in relation to your individual hands like it's not subjective.
Only subjective to a point. When far more people find something more comfortable and better to use, it’s clearly more ergonomic.

Alock1

Because Sony will have custom architecture for what they need? It's not a terribly big deal at this point.
Maybe. We don't know yet. Sony's custom architecture may even mean they can do it better (I suspect it was more about getting access quicker, or cheaper tho)

Digital Foundry said they think it will probably matter.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Because Sony will have custom architecture for what they need? It's not a terribly big deal at this point.
It’s easier to just ignore the xboxers. They can’t talk about games because they don’t have any until the 374 studios they’ve bought start pulling their fingers out their arses.

DavelinaJolie

Maybe. We don't know yet. Sony's custom architecture may even mean they can do it better (I suspect it was more about getting access quicker, or cheaper tho)

Digital Foundry said they think it will probably matter.
I want to read more about the machine learning stuff, because that could be a big deal in the long run.

Sony have held back so many details about their console, and still have big embargoes in place. MS have been quite transparent during the last year. To be honest I think it's pretty lame when you're asking people to spend £350-450 on a console, to hold back as long as Sony has.

That said, in a more general sense, the PS5 actually seems thus far to be more well rounded in its progression and overall appears to have more of a feel of a next gen console. Some of that is down to having launch titles (even if they aren't genuinely new big games) and the controller. I'm tempted to cancel my series X order and stick with my One X until more of the benefit is actually visible. I do want to play Demon's Souls but I'll be buggered if I'm paying £450 to get a console for one game.

Bojan11

It’s easier to just ignore the xboxers. They can’t talk about games because they don’t have any until the 374 studios they’ve bought start pulling their fingers out their arses.

That is you.

altodevil

Just ordered a cheeky 4k for the study. Probably should have got the Series X in the end. Balls.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
But there are so many of them, might as well rename this ‘the Xbox Fanboy thread’.