Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bojan11

They were all the rage here last gen
Clearly going to play it down now as I predicted.

Didn’t they call you Mr 900p or was that me? But this isn’t very good and it shows what a terrible job Cerny did with the PS5. Phil Spencer has caught him with his pants down and has done a number on him.

Bojan11

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
https://www.windowscentral.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-runs-4k-60-xbox-series-x-ubisoft#:~:text=In a press release, Ubisoft,version at no extra cost

People on resetera asking for the thread to be closed. Sure they would be doing that if it was the other way around.
I bet that's a barrel of fun. The weird religious Sony fans - which includes nobody here I'll add - are very much best avoided. Cross that with the level of dogmatism you generally find on RE and you're doing a blindfolded triple backwards somersault with a one-handed pivot in terms of mental gymnastics.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
They really were, I remember being fully involved in it all. I wish I could still care, I just don't.
I have a funny feeling most people here suddenly won't care

Leg-End

I bet that's a barrel of fun. The weird religious Sony fans - which includes nobody here I'll add - are very much best avoided. Cross that with the level of dogmatism you generally find on RE and you're doing a blindfolded triple backwards somersault with a one-handed pivot in terms of mental gymnastics.
Have you not met esmufc07

Bosws87

Point scoring is such an interesting mentality with consoles.

People have become more obsessed with that then playing actual games.

The whole argument is actually pretty irrelevant they just need to sell enough each to thrive. Any person with an impartial head on their shoulders already knows sales wise the PlayStation will sell more and come out on top again.

Europe and Asia is predominately PlayStation territory, USA and the U.K. a split between both it could go either way.

So the console war in that fact is already over Sony have won and will win! Games is what matter and hopefully it’s a more even playing fields this time round and there Is top class exclusives on both and plenty of them at that.

Leg-End

I have a funny feeling most people here suddenly won't care
There is definitely going to be some mental gymnastics, you only have to look at that resetera thread for it.

I know full well buying a PS5 I'm most likely getting a lower resolution on multi plats.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Frankly makes me sick to the core to even think about subjecting my eyes to upscaled 4k in a game

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I thought it was already well established that the X was more powerful anyway?

I knew that buying the PS5. It's annoying, but I need a PS5 to play the Sony exclusives and I don't need a Series X to play MS exclusives. The Series X does seem the more impressive console this time around, though I guess time will tell. If the Series X had the same games the PS5 will I'd probably be buying it instead.

One thing Sony publishers are great at is getting the max out of their consoles. Xbox publishers will still need to develop for PC too, and that last gen Series S.

Bojan11

I thought it was already well established that the X was more powerful anyway?

I knew that buying the PS5. It's annoying, but I need a PS5 to play the Sony exclusives and I don't need a Series X to play MS exclusives. The Series X does seem the more impressive console this time around, though I guess time will tell. If the Series X had the same games the PS5 will I'd probably be buying it instead.

One thing Sony publishers are great at is getting the max out of their consoles. Xbox publishers will still need to develop for PC too, and that last gen Series S.
Not to some of the Sony crew on here. They missed that memo.

Leg-End

Correct me if I'm wrong but I distinctly remember the original PS4 vs Xbox debate was the whole 900p vs 1080p, Microsoft pushed the whole "won't see the difference" narrative.

Now its all about 4k native vs upscale but the roles are reversed. AC isn't actually confirmed as native 4k on Xbox yet is it?

As we get into this gen it's actually going to be interesting how they balance native/upscale and which developers choose to target native. If I had to guess I reckon most will choose upscale.

Alock1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I distinctly remember the original PS4 vs Xbox debate was the whole 900p vs 1080p, Microsoft pushed the whole "won't see the difference" narrative.

Now its all about 4k native vs upscale but the roles are reversed. AC isn't actually confirmed as native 4k on Xbox yet is it?

As we get into this gen it's actually going to be interesting how they balance native/upscale and which developers choose to target native. If I had to guess I reckon most will choose upscale.
I actually agree that it's not a big deal, you aren't playing the games side by side and (to me) that stuff isn't noticable. I've been saying that since last gen and stand by it.

But there were tons of posts on here telling me how wrong I was, that whether resolution or framerate or bells & whistles, any difference in power was a big deal and that power was a huge part of their choice. And every game I was reminded when the comparisons would come out.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Nobody as far as I’m aware has denied the XSX is more powerful than the PS5 - I just believe the difference to be minimal and not a major factor for 99% of gamers. As I’ve long said when being serious it’s all about games (who’d have thought) - and PS has always had games I’m more interested in and that doesn’t look to be changing any time soon.

Alock1

Nobody as far as I’m aware has denied the XSX is more powerful than the PS5 - I just believe the difference to be minimal and not a major factor for 99% of gamers. As I’ve long said when being serious it’s all about games (who’d have thought) - and PS has always had games I’m more interested in and that doesn’t look to be changing any time soon.
If Apex is better on Xbox then you should move over cause clearly it's the only game you care about

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
If Apex is better on Xbox then you should move over cause clearly it's the only game you care about
But what would make it ‘better’ on Xbox? I’ve played it on both consoles and there’s no difference as far as I can see, games like this I think it depends which consoles your mates have but seeing as I don’t have any I don’t have to take that into account.

Shark

@NotShark
Hasn't Assassins Creed Valhalla been specially optimized for Xbox? Also wonder what kind of upscalling tech the PS5 version will actually use. A native game will always look better than upscaled, however it also depends on the quality of the upscaler. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if both consoles stop worrying so much about native 4K toward the end of this generational lifespan and instead put more effort into 60fps and ray tracing.

Alock1

But what would make it ‘better’ on Xbox? I’ve played it on both consoles and there’s no difference as far as I can see, games like this I think it depends which consoles your mates have but seeing as I don’t have any I don’t have to take that into account.
Isn't it crossplay now?

Soon hopefully all online games have crossplay and then that doesn't matter either.

Alock1

Hasn't Assassins Creed Valhalla been specially optimized for Xbox? Also wonder what kind of upscalling tech the PS5 version will actually use. A native game will always look better than upscaled, however it also depends on the quality of the upscaler. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if both consoles stop worrying so much about native 4K toward the end of this generational lifespan and instead put more effort into 60fps and ray tracing.
I just want options to be honest. Prioritize resolution, prioritize framerates, prioritize bells & whistles (or maybe 3rd option is just the devs preference/best of both)

Leg-End

I don't think it's actually confirmed native 4K on Xbox yet anyway but yes I agree with your last sentence.

Bojan11

Afro has. I told him a few months ago and he started posting that fanboys pic at me because he couldn’t handle the truth.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't think it's actually confirmed native 4K on Xbox yet anyway but yes I agree with your last sentence.
Really? Ubisoft are also pretty notorious for down scaling their games after making promises. Definitely wouldn't use this game to make any conclusion on either consoles capability.

Bojan11

Really? Ubisoft are also pretty notorious for down scaling their games after making promises. Definitely wouldn't use this game to make any conclusion on either consoles capability.
No, but this isn’t the time first time there were reports of PS5 and native 4K.

Reliable capcom insider Dusk Golem said Resident evil was struggling on the PS5, whilst it ran native 4K on Series X. Elvis and co were in denial back then and resetera removed his mod status. Yet a few weeks later they were posting news from his Twitter.

Unlucky @esmufc07. You are going to be humbled.

Alock1

Back to this

Unless you're a big JRPG player then Xbox will likely have a number of exclusive games for you. Racers, shooters, platformers, multiplayer experiences, story driven 1st person narratives and then the odd quirky game - Xbox is going to have you covered in the near future.

That'll move the needle for some on Gamepass for sure but less so on consoles themselves. Many people will still keep to PS5 - just cause they've always had PlayStation and like PS and have enough games already.

And that's totally cool. And how most products work.

But it flies in the face of the people here who would bang on about PlayStation 4 being far superior cause of power (not looking to be true), cause they trust PS more to be pro-consumer and focus on gamers (there was a lot about this at the start of last gen - MS are miles ahead here now) and then the last real argument, the games and Xbox's lack of.

People here will still claim Xbox has nothing for them when it's putting out games they'd have no doubt bought if on PlayStation.