Gaming PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X

Which do you think will release first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Irwin99

I think people need to get ready for game price increases next gen, games have been largely the same price for at least 20 years now and the cost of making them is rising. Something has to give, this is also why the subscription based model is being explored since last gen.
Mmmm, if there is going to be a sharp economic drop then I do wonder if people will be turned off by a price rise. 50 quid is expensive enough as it is (for me personally)

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
At this point, if the prices for games are to be believed, one should just invest in a gaming PC.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm not too worried about prices for physical copies- retailers will always try to remain competitive. But no fecking chance I'd buy a digital only console if those prices are to be believed. New PS4 games are already €70 on their store (vs around 50-55 on sites like Amazon, ShopTo, Smyths etc). The disc version of the console would pay for itself after a few purchases.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
At the moment we usually pay £49.99 for a new PS4 standard edition game. I reckon this will increase to £59.99 for this new gen.

If you can wait a couple of months I’m sure you’ll be able to pick the games up for £40.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm not too worried about prices for physical copies- retailers will always try to remain competitive. But no fecking chance I'd buy a digital only console if those prices are to be believed. New PS4 games are already €70 on their store (vs around 50-55 on sites like Amazon, ShopTo, Smyths etc). The disc version of the console would pay for itself after a few purchases.
The cost of digital v physical in this country is a joke. And, I nearly always sell a game when I'm finished with it. Can't do that with digital.

Bojan11

We all know games like Fifa and COD will still go up regardless of micro transactions. NBA is filled with them yet gone up.

I don’t mind games going up. But saying shit like micro transactions will be gone if they go up isn’t true. Most companies will still look for that cash grab.

Fully Fledged

The xbox has to compete with my pc and it is not going to win that battle, ever.
The ps5 has to compete with the ps4 Pro.

That's how it will be for multi-platform gamers when deciding between the two.
Nintendo is in a good position where it isn't really being challenged.
Why would it want to compete with your pc? The same company makes the windows software your pc works on as makes xbox. If you are playing on either Microsoft are happy.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Why would it want to compete with your pc? The same company makes the windows software your pc works on as makes xbox. If you are playing on either Microsoft are happy.
Because any game for the xbox will come to the pc, and my pc has specs the xbox can't dream of, so I'll get a better experience without buying the box.
Sony and nintendo has exclusives that makes them not compete with my pc.
Microsoft is being consumer friendly, and I'm happy about that, but I have absolutely no incentive to get a xbox because of it.

Fully Fledged

Because any game for the xbox will come to the pc, and my pc has specs the xbox can't dream of, so I'll get a better experience without buying the box.
Sony and nintendo has exclusives that makes them not compete with my pc.
Microsoft is being consumer friendly, and I'm happy about that, but I have absolutely no incentive to get a xbox because of it.
No you don't. What I was saying is that Microsoft seem happy for people to play their games on PC as most PC's run on their software.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
No you don't. What I was saying is that Microsoft seem happy for people to play their games on PC as most PC's run on their software.
No i don't what? Are you quoting me to tell me what I prioritise?

Also, there is zero point to xbox if they are only made to try and get Linux and apple folks to buy the system.

Fully Fledged

No i don't what? Are you quoting me to tell me what I prioritise?

Also, there is zero point to xbox if they are only made to try and get Linux and apple folks to buy the system.
Have any incentive to buy a Xbox.

Edit: not everybody who games has a state of the art gaming rig. I play on PC at the moment but to upgrade to the specs that the Series X has would cost me more than the console.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Have any incentive to buy a Xbox.
Ahh. Misread it. Sorry for being agitated.
I don't think Microsoft cares too much about if you play on xbox or pc, but they are on record worrying about Sony being more prevalent in people's homes, and when the xbox isn't making people buy it due to people already having a pc then Sony most often becomes the alternative people go for, i think.

So their strategy is a failing one if they still want to compete with Sony on the console market, but they might not be worried about that anymore as the statement about competing with Sony for the living room was made when they started the first xbox. Microsoft is in my opinion too big to fail, it is all about the competition in my view.

Fully Fledged

Ahh. Misread it. Sorry for being agitated.
I don't think Microsoft cares too much about if you play on xbox or pc, but they are on record worrying about Sony being more prevalent in people's homes, and when the xbox isn't making people buy it due to people already having a pc then Sony most often becomes the alternative people go for, i think.

So their strategy is a failing one if they still want to compete with Sony on the console market, but they might not be worried about that anymore as the statement about competing with Sony for the living room was made when they started the first xbox. Microsoft is in my opinion too big to fail, it is all about the competition in my view.
No problem I could have been clearer about what part of your post I was referring to.

Bojan11

Sony have invested a shit ton of money in epic games. No wonder Epic wouldn’t stop going on about the PS5.

Also in the press release it says this

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

We all know games like Fifa and COD will still go up regardless of micro transactions. NBA is filled with them yet gone up.

I don’t mind games going up. But saying shit like micro transactions will be gone if they go up isn’t true. Most companies will still look for that cash grab.
How on earth do they need to go up in price when they’re making insane profits from them already?

It’s like those people that try and justify Apple charging so much more every time because of R&D costs despite making more and more profit.

The only real justification of rising cost is covering the additional costs involved, which I’m sure could easily be eaten anyway with the most popular games if kept at the current price. I’m also sure a similar massive profit margin could be achieved with a much smaller price rise.

Not to mention that lockdown will have brought many people back to gaming, so I’m sure they’re due record sales in the coming years. Prices could easily put these people off gaming again though.

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The justification they tell themselves is that they want more money, and they are sure they can get away with it. That is all they care about.

Bojan11

How on earth do they need to go up in price when they’re making insane profits from them already?

It’s like those people that try and justify Apple charging so much more every time because of R&D costs despite making more and more profit.

The only real justification of rising cost is covering the additional costs involved, which I’m sure could easily be eaten anyway with the most popular games if kept at the current price. I’m also sure a similar massive profit margin could be achieved with a much smaller price rise.

Not to mention that lockdown will have brought many people back to gaming, so I’m sure they’re due record sales in the coming years. Prices could easily put these people off gaming again though.
Mate, I’m just posting a tweet from the lead GOW Director. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Costs are rising. The ones making the big money are the ones who have micro transactions in them. They used to be more expensive back in the N64 era.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think he’d have a point if it was only 80 hour games that will cost more and he specified it as such. I don’t believe COD couldn’t have a longer single player campaign. Or fifa couldn’t have far more effort put in to it.

Personally, I think I’d be fine with paying more for the next Witcher or Red Dead because you know they’re special and have had a crazy amount of work put in to them. But not fifa, Assassin’s Creed or whatever else gets churned out annually like they always have.

Still struggle to believe they need to charge more though. Does he think we can’t see the profits some of these games are making? Just make a bit less profit is the obvious answer.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I doubt Sony would pay Epic and then turn around and give them exclusives. I think it is more to do with the unreal engine or games produced by epic going on Sony platform.

Bojan11

Makes sense, though not exactly sure what Sony get from it unless they've agreed that Sony will get a greater cut from sales of their games on the EGS.
Epics value will go further up if Sony start dropping games on there. The value of that stake will increase. I can see them releasing games 6 months or a year down the line after they are released. They already started testing the waters with Death Stranding and Horizon albeit on steam too.

£250m in 2011 got Tencent a 40% stake in Epic. Epic are one of few companies which COVID did not impact and they seem to be getting stronger financially every year.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sony is more than just gaming. This is related to movies and music as much as it's related to PlayStation, probably even moreso tbh.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Seeing how Sony shipped 8-9m copies of 60$ game in 2 months, it got me thinking would MS, if they had games that can sell million copies in a week releasing every 6-12 month, would they had still gone for Gamepass model?

Edit : Below tweet is about the same issue

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

Seeing how Sony shipped 8-9m copies of 60$ game in 2 months, it got me thinking would MS, if they had games that can sell million copies in a week releasing every 6-12 month, would they had still gone for Gamepass model?

Edit : Below tweet is about the same issue

Let's see.
9m * $60 *2 = 1 billion
12m*$10*12= 1.44 billion.
I think so.

pratyush_utd

Let's see.
9m * $60 *2 = 1 billion
I think so.
You are missing the development cost of next gen AAA games. As MS starts to invest in AAA title the cost will significantly go up. The current model is already losing money with no significant AAA title. It's all well and good to provide day one access to games which are not expensive to produce or are older games.

I don't think it's sustainable as pointed out in that tweet.

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

You are missing the development cost of next gen AAA games. As MS starts to invest in AAA title the cost will significantly go up. The current model is already losing money with no significant AAA title. It's all well and good to provide day one access to games which are not expensive to produce or are older games.

I don't think it's sustainable as pointed out in that tweet.
No in either model You have the development costs of the AAA games but one of the models earns an extra $440 million.

pratyush_utd

No in either model You have the development costs of the AAA games but one of the models earns an extra $440 million.
I think you are not getting the point the I am trying to make. The other model is based on 2 games per year ( it's not really a model just normal way of selling games). Gamepass is not going to be attractive option if it is only 2-3 games per year. Plus 3rd party deals. At this moment, MS doesn't have any big budget AAA games and with new studio acquisition, they will have it ready in 1-2 year from now. With Gamepass model, they are not going to earn any extra revenue but production cost will go up. As mentioned by that journalist in that tweet, 3rd party games are asking for more money if they come on Gamepass, so added cost there. At this moment subscription number matters for MS as these are potential customer for their cloud service but with rising cost, how long it will be sustainable model is something I am not sure about. Your calculations are very rudimentary and I feel ignores a lot of other cost that will come up once MS start releasing those promised big titles.

Bojan11

Let's see.
9m * $60 *2 = 1 billion
I think so.
Gamepass won’t be just owning a Xbox or PC thing either. Xcloud will be joining gamepass, so will be on mobile and tablet too. They already got a partnership with Samsung for the note that’s going to be unveiled next month.

Of course they going to be making a loss at the start. Took Netflix years to make a profit. But they are not thinking short term. Theres a chance probably they lose some third party support in a few years. Hence all these studio acquisitions and they looking to buy more. Most of the best stuff on Netflix now is produced by them. I rarely watch stuff on Netflix now that isn’t made by them. I couldn’t say that a few years ago.

This is the same scenario. For gamepass to work long term, MS have to give great AAA games. If the output is what’s it’s been past decade then it won’t go anywhere.

Bojan11

I think you are not getting the point the I am trying to make. The other model is based on 2 games per year ( it's not really a model just normal way of selling games). Gamepass is not going to be attractive option if it is only 2-3 games per year. Plus 3rd party deals. At this moment, MS doesn't have any big budget AAA games and with new studio acquisition, they will have it ready in 1-2 year from now. With Gamepass model, they are not going to earn any extra revenue but production cost will go up. As mentioned by that journalist in that tweet, 3rd party games are asking for more money if they come on Gamepass, so added cost there. At this moment subscription number matters for MS as these are potential customer for their cloud service but with rising cost, how long it will be sustainable model is something I am not sure about. Your calculations are very rudimentary and I feel ignores a lot of other cost that will come up once MS start releasing those promised big titles.
I’d take the word of a developer than some random journo.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

I’d like to see them backed to make a bigger. budget sequel. It’s a fun game. You’d think Microsoft would want to get stuff like this done and as exclusives

Balljy

I think both your comments are saying the same thing? Game Pass is great for developers as it provides access to games which people potentially wouldn't have played before. For MS it's a loss leader as they're giving the developers money for x number of downloads and taking a fixed fee for that from the public

Personally I think it's great value but the model is definitely reliant on becoming the Netflix of gaming.

pratyush_utd

Gamepass as a business model is what I have questions about. It clearly is popular and provide great value to it's customers. That was not in doubt. Indie game developers are also seeing rise in their sales as shown by your tweet. But it doesn't address anything about the efficacy of its business model.

It's just how it is going to scale up with AAA titles of its own and 3rd party. That will clearly cost MS more money and we have to see if the business model is sustainable for them.