PSG - 2021/22 | French Spurs?

Dante

Average bang
Ligue 1 is such a joke. Reigning champions, Lille, just lost 4-0 at home against midtable Nice.

PSG will walk this title despite having Pochettino in charge. Their domestic league is just a 38 game long preseason for the latter stages of the Champions League. Which give them a big advantage over the rest of Europe's elite (particularly PL clubs).

I don't know why any top footballer would ever want to go there other than money.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ligue 1 is such a joke. Reigning champions, Lille, just lost 4-0 at home against midtable Nice.

PSG will walk this title despite having Pochettino in charge. Their domestic league is just a 38 game long preseason for the latter stages of the Champions League. Which give them a big advantage over the rest of Europe's elite (particularly PL clubs).

I don't know why any top footballer would ever want to go there other than money.
Maybe thats why Mbappe wants to leave. He knows the truth. Its a place for grandpas close to retirement.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I don’t care for ligue 1 but if man city lost 4-0 on opening day people would brag that it highlights just how competitive the EPL is

Dante

Average bang
I don’t care for ligue 1 but if man city lost 4-0 on opening day people would brag that it highlights just how competitive the EPL is
Because City are the strongest team in the PL. If they lost heavily, it would be in spite of them still being a top side (just like when Liverpool lost 7-2 to Aston Villa).

Lille, on the other hand, are an asset stripped relegation candidate who no longer pose any threat to PSG because they've had to sell key players to stay alive. The reason they lost is because they're now crap and the French league isn't marketable enough to support them financially.

They'd be completely different contexts. One is because of the relative strength (ie. wealth) of midtable teams in England. The other is because of the relative financial weakness of PSG's rivals in France.

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

I'm actually very surprise that the French people allow such things to happen in the Ligue 1. Only 1 team with much superior resources which is supported by the State of Qatar. Why the other 19 teams bother to compete?

Its like PSG is the under 21 Team and the rest of the 19 teams are under 15 Team. Is this a fair competition especially when PSG money is so dubious?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Oh maybe it is a indicator of a strong league :houllier::houllier:. If the champions can lose to a team like that, it shows the league is not a walk in the park. Lyon went to the semi finals of the champions league a few season back, so even though you hate to admit it, the French league is tougher than it seems.

Marat

Lille lost their coach and their goalkeeper, it's the begining of the season so it doesn't mean shit, the squads are not fully ready at the same time.
Anyway I could say you criticize a league you love to buy players from. Strange isn't it ?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Oh maybe it is a indicator of a strong league :houllier::houllier:. If the champions can lose to a team like that, it shows the league is not a walk in the park. Lyon went to the semi finals of the champions league a few season back, so even though you hate to admit it, the French league is tougher than it seems.
Spot on

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
:lol: :lol:

Now Barcelona and PSG fans talking about how hard their leagues are :lol:

Managers of the PL - Guardiola, Mancini, Klopp, Brendan Rodgers, Sir Alex Ferguson, Pochettino, Mourinho, Conte, Tuchel, Rafael Benitez, Ranieri, Wenger - that's just talking about a handful of teams.

The quality of manager in itself shows the difference in quality between the leagues- never mind the many leagues looking like they are shutting down whilst the PL is running like it hasn't been hurt at all.

Pochettino lost and drew against teams that couldn't and shouldn't have lost.

It highlights the ego of PSG believing they didn't need to try hard to win - only for them to end up losing the title to a team with very very mediocre to decent players.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Just watched game highlights, PSG got defensive issues that will be worse with Neymar and Messi playing.

Icardi dive for the second yellow card...

The level of games they play will make it harder for them in the CL. Potentially see them having big problems against teams who are solid in defence with quick transition counter attacks.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

The level of games they play will make it harder for them in the CL. Potentially see them having big problems against teams who are solid in defence with quick transition counter attacks.
Get your narrative straight guys, is it easier or harder :yawn: Is it some sort of Schrodinger league situation?

Lille didn't loose that many players as of right now, only Soumaré et Maignan. They overperformed last year and had a great coach when PSG was underperforming for various reasons (starting with the ridiculous 1 week break between the CL final and the start of the Ligue 1, and half of the team getting COVID).

crossy1686

career ending
Probably an over reaction to the first game of the season, it takes 5 or so games for players to get up to speed etc.

But let's not pretend the league is tough or that PSG shouldn't walk it with ease this year. It should be wrapped up by Christmas, it's just not competitive at all.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Probably an over reaction to the first game of the season, it takes 5 or so games for players to get up to speed etc.

But let's not pretend the league is tough or that PSG shouldn't walk it with ease this year. It should be wrapped up by Christmas, it's just not competitive at all.
The league isn't very competitive, that's a fact, but you can't say it's "not competitive at all" when PSG litteraly lost the championship last year. I don't know why people here need to consistently exagerate. Yes PL is a better league, so are Bundesliga and La Liga (we'll wait until the end of this season to see how it goes in Italy now that Juventus sucks and Inter is hemorraging players). That being said, you still have to win the games and PSG's opponent are often tough nuts to crack because they know everybody in France watch that game and they'd often overperform (combined with a full stadium for these games).

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
:lol: :lol:

Now Barcelona and PSG fans talking about how hard their leagues are :lol:

Managers of the PL - Guardiola, Mancini, Klopp, Brendan Rodgers, Sir Alex Ferguson, Pochettino, Mourinho, Conte, Tuchel, Rafael Benitez, Ranieri, Wenger - that's just talking about a handful of teams.

The quality of manager in itself shows the difference in quality between the leagues- never mind the many leagues looking like they are shutting down whilst the PL is running like it hasn't been hurt at all.
Funny enough, none of those great managers of the "English" PL are english.

Money can buy nice things indeed.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I'm actually very surprise that the French people allow such things to happen in the Ligue 1. Only 1 team with much superior resources which is supported by the State of Qatar. Why the other 19 teams bother to compete?

Its like PSG is the under 21 Team and the rest of the 19 teams are under 15 Team. Is this a fair competition especially when PSG money is so dubious?
Why did english people allow Abramovich to buy Chelsea?
Why did english people allow Abu Dhabi to buy ManCity?
Why did english people allow Glazers to buy Man Utd?

I can't comprehend it.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Its the SPL with more money, a lot more money basically
Except almost close to zero club from Bundesliga,La Liga, and Serie A goes to Scotland to buy players...i don't mention EPL cause mid table teams will still be filled with tier 3 scottish players due to language facility, the same goes to Ireland.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why do football fans constantly have to demean other leagues? We get it, Ligue 1 isn’t as good as the EPL or whatever. Doesn’t mean there’s not some good quality on show.

It’s one of those weird situations where fans want more parity in the league but also want elite players in 1 or 2 leagues only. There’s elitism with leagues that is as big of an issue as PSG in Ligue 1.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Anyway I could say you criticize a league you love to buy players from. Strange isn't it ?
Very strange indeed.

Henry was considered the best foreign player of the EPL before Cr7 arrived in England, and Cantona is one of the best foreign players of Manchester United history, and let's not forget about Wenger, who won the golden edition of the EPL, and he came from...(checks)...Ligue 1.

Like an alcoholic beer lover saying how much he hates wheat and barley.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What's funny is the Premier League has essentially bought their way to being a top league. Most of their best players aren't English, they don't have a great English coach either for that matter, but all brought from other leagues. Yet they're the ones who will always crap on other leagues and talk up theirs as if they had anything to do with it. They've had an unfair competitive advantage for years now with their TV rights deal to help them poach the best talents from other leagues, but now they're upset that PSG is capable of taking players away from them.

So now you have spoiled little brats who will say whatever nonsense they can to belittle Ligue 1 (or the Bundesliga, or Serie A, basically anything that's not the PL) because really, deep down, they feel entitled to have all of the best players come to their league and they're a little upset that none of our recruits came to the Premier League, awwww....so sad. :(

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

Why did english people allow Abramovich to buy Chelsea?
Why did english people allow Abu Dhabi to buy ManCity?
Why did english people allow Glazers to buy Man Utd?

I can't comprehend it.
Thanks for at least listing out 3 teams which can compete in the EPL. We can add Liverpool to this. Outside chance Spurs, Arsenal & Leicester. See the difference?

And nobody is saying that Ligue 1 is weak and whatnot. The problem is why allow PSG to have such unfair advantage over others that make the league almost a given that PSG will win it year in year out with ease (i know PSG didn't win last year). PSG priority is not Ligue 1, its CL.

Anyway, it seems that most French posters here are fine with this and that's all that matters.

We are lucky that the European Super League idea didn't materialise, if not the whole of Europe will be not competitive except teams that in it.

Tony Babangida

What's funny is the Premier League has essentially bought their way to being a top league. Most of their best players aren't English, they don't have a great English coach either for that matter, but all brought from other leagues. Yet they're the ones who will always crap on other leagues and talk up theirs as if they had anything to do with it. They've had an unfair competitive advantage for years now with their TV rights deal to help them poach the best talents from other leagues, but now they're upset that PSG is capable of taking players away from them.

So now you have spoiled little brats who will say whatever nonsense they can to belittle Ligue 1 (or the Bundesliga, or Serie A, basically anything that's not the PL) because really, deep down, they feel entitled to have all of the best players come to their league and they're a little upset that none of our recruits came to the Premier League, awwww....so sad. :(
It’s not good to have any league being won every year by the same club. That is pretty much happening in all of the leagues you listed unfortunately. EPL could go that way with City too.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It’s not good to have any league being won every year by the same club. That is pretty much happening in all of the leagues you listed unfortunately. EPL could go that way with City too.
I agree with you, unfortunately that's the way football has gone. England's heading that way too, but the massive income coming from TV rights helps slow down City's wave, but they're now at 3 out of 4 and let's see how the rest of the season develops. United is not too far off and maybe Liverpool as well but City is a clear favorite every season as well. Lille's win last season was remarkable because they lost only 3 games all season, but any champion that's not PSG in France gets immediately plundered like Lille or Monaco did, often times by English or Spanish clubs, England doesn't deal with that so that's another big advantage to keep the competition going but I share your sentiment.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The only likeable player in this squad is Pimkembe and that speaks volume.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Writing the player's name properly would be a good starting point if you want to display your expertise.
Kimpembe would most likely appreciate the mistake, Pimkembe sounds nice.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Fair points, poster.

jackal&hyde

I just noticed many of their key players are getting on a bit: Ramos 35, Messi 34, Di Maria 33, Gueye 31, Wijnaldum 30 even Neymar is not that young anymore. In spite of the squad being favorites for this years CL, I can see why Mbappe might have doubts over a 5-6 year contract. Other clubs including United, have much more youthful set of attackers that should set them up better in the next 3 to 5 years.

Last edited:

cyberman

Why is the English tv deal unfair?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I just noticed many of their key players are getting on a bit: Ramos 45, Messi 34, Di Maria 33, Gueye 31, Wijnaldum 30 even Neymar is not that young anymore. In spite of the squad being favorites for this years CL, I can see why Mbappe might have doubts over a 5-6 year contract. Other clubs including United, have much more youthful set of attackers that should set them up better in the next 3 to 5 years.
Ramos looks amazing for a 45 year old though.

Pickle85

Why is the English tv deal unfair?
I guess it's unfair that the PL has made canny financial decisions and built the strongest brand. What ISN'T unfair is a murderous, state sponsored regime spending money in excess of what they earn through legitimate avenues to use a club as a PR machine. Can't for the life of me think why that's not unfair. Maybe something to do with them STILL being unable to win the CL, despite their totally legitimate and not at all questionable financial advantages.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Thanks for at least listing out 3 teams which can compete in the EPL. We can add Liverpool to this. Outside chance Spurs, Arsenal & Leicester. See the difference?

And nobody is saying that Ligue 1 is weak and whatnot. The problem is why allow PSG to have such unfair advantage over others that make the league almost a given that PSG will win it year in year out with ease (i know PSG didn't win last year). PSG priority is not Ligue 1, its CL.

Anyway, it seems that most French posters here are fine with this and that's all that matters.

We are lucky that the European Super League idea didn't materialise, if not the whole of Europe will be not competitive except teams that in it.
Defending the EPL by saying Arsenal can compete is quite funny. The ly could in the past of course, before they sacked that French manager and got rid of all those French players..

Yakuza_devils

Defending the EPL by saying Arsenal can compete is quite funny. The ly could in the past of course, before they sacked that French manager and got rid of all those French players..

outside chance
A slight, remote, or unlikely possibility