PSG manager Christophe Galtier under grave accusations of racism and islamophobia

Cloud7

Sadly people talking like this is not us usual. Especially the older generation. They also tend to be less careful of electronic media optics.
Don’t get me wrong I have no doubt that there are loads of people who actually think like that, depressing as it is, but I find the willingness to put this in writing really mind boggling. Like would you not consider for one second the implications of this were it to ever come out? Are they really that oblivious, or are they just convinced that what they’re saying is no big deal and if it comes out nothing will come of it?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
And people are still saying he used to be the Nice coach. Doesn’t sound nice at all.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Fecker didn't mind taking Arab millions even though they were Muslims.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Crazy that someone would be brazen enough to actually put this in an email
They got that part wrong.
Nice's former football director sent an e-mail to Nice's owner to report what Galtier had told him
But Galtier allegedly said those words in a private meeting with the football director

Which is why the case is a bit tricky as Galtier and his son obviously claim he has never said that

VWW

As much as I think Galtier is scum, I think him being taken into custody is somewhat interesting considering the timing with whats currently going on right now in France.

For those not in the know, a couple of days ago a 17 year old kid of north african origin was executed by French police after he drove off while they tried to stop him. This caused massive riots and the police initially claimed he drove at them. Later video footage showed the police were lying. The riots were really bad last night, I'm just taking a wild guess and thinking the french government is trying to show that their dealing with the underlying racism that pervades french society. I mean this email that shows Galtiers true thoughts on his squad has been around for a long time, why have the french police now only decided to act?

This is just my impression of the whole thing and maybe its just pure coincidence. I hope Galtier gets whats coming to him.

Reactions: Penna

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
As much as I think Galtier is scum, I think him being taken into custody is somewhat interesting considering the timing with whats currently going on right now in France.

For those not in the know, a couple of days ago a 17 year old kid of north african origin was executed by French police after he drove off while they tried to stop him. This caused massive riots and the police initially claimed he drove at them. Later video footage showed the police were lying. The riots were really bad last night, I'm just taking a wild guess and thinking the french government is trying to show that their dealing with the underlying racism that pervades french society. I mean this email that shows Galtiers true thoughts on his squad has been around for a long time, why have the french police now only decided to act?

This is just my impression of the whole thing and maybe its just pure coincidence. I hope Galtier gets whats coming to him.
And if anyone buys that they're dumb as feck

Zed is not dead

And if anyone buys that they're dumb as feck
In France we don’t really care about it to be honest.
It’s no secret that some players had difficulties with some clubs and staff because of their confession, even at the FFF level (french federation)

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeah, not sure how the Qataris would have an openly Islamophobic coach.

I'm guessing they're probably secretly courting Zidane again as we speak.
They are about to hire Enrique

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If he's actually said this in an email he's done for. However I don't think it's clear that he has said this in an email, rather it was claimed he said this in an email sent to Nice owners.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/66073429.amp
Am I missing something here? “An email sent to Nice owners” - he played for them in 2021 so that would have been Jim Ratcliffe, no? How’s he keeping his name out of this? The offences took place at Nice not PSG and he’s apparently implicated here?

Korwas

He has been taken into police custody for something he wrote in a email? That sounds insane. I understand why UEFA or FIFA would ban him for it, but why would the police do anything?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He has been taken into police custody for something he wrote in a email? That sounds insane. I understand why UEFA or FIFA would ban him for it, but why would the police do anything?
why not? Do you not believe racism is a criminal offence?

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
why not? Do you not believe racism is a criminal offence?
Well thats complicated. Inciting racial hatred or using racist language directly at someone is a crime.

I dont think its technically illegal to make a racist comment. Even if it is abhorrent.

I guess the sad truth is that these types of sentiments are so common the police wouldnt be capable of investigating it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Well thats complicated. Inciting racial hatred or using racist language directly at someone is a crime.

I dont think its technically illegal to make a racist comment. Even if it is abhorrent.

I guess the sad truth is that these types of sentiments are so common the police wouldnt be capable of investigating it.
Which is why I imagine they took him into custody, to investigate the matter further and see if it was more than just this comment/email.

antk

Discrimination in the workplace is a criminal offense, especially from a position of power.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Wow. That’s unbelievable that anyone, never mind anyone in such a high profile job, would think like that never mind say it! It’s 2023 not 1950s. He’s not going to get another job in football so what next, right wing politician? Scumbag

RedDevilQuebecois

Discrimination in the workplace is a criminal offense, especially from a position of power.
Yep, Galtier can be accused of violating Article L1132-1 of the French labor code and Article 225-1 of the French penal code (source). If found guilty, he can serve up to 3 years in prison and pay penalty fees up to 45,000 euros.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Good point, forgot this is workplace discrimination. Rightfully arrested on that basis.

NLunited

If Ratcliffe knew about Galtier‘s misbehaviour and didn‘t do anything, that would be pretty bad.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Rumours he's been sacked. Have there been any credible links for the next PSG manager?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Rumours he's been sacked. Have there been any credible links for the next PSG manager?
Luis Enrique has been rumoured to go there for a while now, after the Nagelsmann talks collapsed.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Wonder if fewer of his players attend Friday mosque now he manages Al-Duhail?

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
This whole thing was really interesting to follow. Galtier defended himself really well, he stood his ground came to the court himself instead of letting his lawyers do all the work and actually made a lot of sense.
He doesn't deny that he considered it a risk to have too many players doing Ramadan at a crucial time for Nice. He doesn't deny having benched a player because he feared his performance was going to be impacted by Ramadan.
But probably the most interesting part of this whole thing was hearing an expert on Ramadan and its impact on performance. This expert clearly stated that it wasn't taken seriously enough by professional clubs and that it could easily be managed with a proper plan in place. For example he stated that the most impactful thing for players doing Ramadan was the lack of sleep, especially in the 3rd and 4th week of Ramadan.
Long story short french justice system decided that a coach could worry about his player performance during Ramadan without it being considered a discrimination and it makes sense to me.

GMoore23

If he's improved his English speaking this past couple of years, this is the guy I'd replace ten Hag with.

2 time Ligue 1 Winner
3 time Ligue 1 Manager Of The Year

He joined St Etienne when they were in a relegation battle.
He saved them from relegation and in future seasons got them into Europe 4 times.
He also won their first trophy in 32 years.

He next joined Lille mid season who were also in a relegation battle. Once again, he saved them from relegation.
In his first full season, he took them to 2nd. That was Lilles highest finish in 8 years and gave them their first CL football in 7 years.
He then went on to achieve the unbelievable, winning Ligue 1 with Lille vs PSG's Messi, Mbappe, Neymar.

He went on to manage PSG himself winning Ligue 1 again and a domestic trophy.

Galtier has managed under INEOS before and I hope he's he's still on good terms with them.

He never struck me as a racist and defended himself really well. He's now managing in Qatar for Christ sake so he's hardly a Muslim racist. They're a Muslim majority nation.