Which owners would you prefer?

• Qatar

Votes: 961 62.8%
  • Ineos

Votes: 570 37.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BerryBerryShrew

I think that from an emotional POV, with regards to us, I was kind of living under a rock these past couple of months.
The fact that United is very likely to be owned by Qatar kinda starts to sink in.

feck me. How on earth do you keep supporting the club after that?

Better start working on my gymnastics skills...
You don't. Or at least I won't.

Irwin99

I think that from an emotional POV, with regards to us, I was kind of living under a rock these past couple of months.
The fact that United is very likely to be owned by Qatar kinda starts to sink in.

feck me. How on earth do you keep supporting the club after that?

Better start working on my gymnastics skills...
It's hard to walk away from a club that's dominated so many fan's lives though. Even now i'm looking at that first fixture of the season with some anticipation but this whole takeover business, what it stands for and who is actually buying the club, just seems really ugly to me. Yes we'll probably have no need to cook the books like City do but we'll seem just as plastic to everyone as they do.

Abramovic started all this crap with Chelsea back in the 00s and 'the beautiful game' has just become uglier and uglier.

MarylandMUFan

You don't. Or at least I won't.
I hear you. I despise both Newcastle and City for that reason, I can't turn around and embrace it for United. I have been following United since 1984 so I am not sure what I will do now. I love watching English football so I may just "adopt" a team. As an American, I have always had a soft spot for Fulham. Maybe I will give FC United of Manchester a shot, but I almost feel like that teams belongs to those in Manchester, not outsiders like me (not sure why I feel that way).

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
It's hard to walk away from a club that's dominated so many fan's lives though. Even now i'm looking at that first fixture of the season with some anticipation but this whole takeover business, what it stands for and who is actually buying the club, just seems really ugly to me. Yes we'll probably have no need to cook the books like City do but we'll seem just as plastic to everyone as they do.

Abramovic started all this crap with Chelsea back in the 00s and 'the beautiful game' has just become uglier and uglier.
There is that thread asking if City fans feel tainted etc...
Thats going to be us soon.
Its not just football though, so many sports now being subjected to the whole sports washing thing.

exactly right in saying the game gets uglier, I hate this current era.

ScholesyTheWise

@Irwin99

I tried to stop supporting United at various points in time during the past decade,
because the state of the club affected my well-being so much (I deal with depression regardless) that it just wasn't worth it.
But I don't have social media accounts... the Caf is my equivalent of it.

It's quite sad to be writing this, but there were times were it was easier for me to not watch most of our games,
than it was to stop reading this site completely.

talk about addictions eh?

And it's obviously more than that, it has a lot to do with my identity...
I have a United tattoo on the back of my neck for starters... how do you go about that?

Such a shitty feeling...

Water Melon

Maybe we need a separate thread for those of us considering abandoning the club for moral (and other) reasons. Kind of the exodus 2.0 (1.0 being the original Glazer takeover).
The only common thing between the two events is exodus. Glazers ruined the club and saddled it with huge debt. Qatar are committed to running us debt free, while investing in the area and the club's infrastructure.

ScholesyTheWise

could have been interesting to have seen statistics about the number of fans who declared they'll stop supporting United because of Glazers,
how many of them actually did that?

You'd think it has to be 0.000 something %.

MarylandMUFan

The only common thing between the two events is exodus. Glazers ruined the club and saddled it with huge debt. Qatar are committed to running us debt free, while investing in the area and the club's infrastructure.
Agree, I think the club will actually be in great shape with the new owner but I am sure there will be a sizable group that can't support the club due to who owns it.

MarylandMUFan

could have been interesting to have seen statistics about the number of fans who declared they'll stop supporting United because of Glazers,
how many of them actually did that?

You'd think it has to be 0.000 something %.
Well, FCUM is still going strong. I guess we have to define "support". No longer spending any money on United (merch, tickets etc...) vs no longer watching them or rooting for them to win.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
There is that thread asking if City fans feel tainted etc...
Thats going to be us soon.
Its not just football though, so many sports now being subjected to the whole sports washing thing.

exactly right in saying the game gets uglier, I hate this current era.
Only difference is we spent several decades winning trophies.

ScholesyTheWise

Well, FCUM is still going strong. I guess we have to define "support". No longer spending any money on United (merch, tickets etc...) vs no longer watching them or rooting for them to win.
Yeah, thinking about the definition is interesting alright.
for me, to stop supporting would be to not spend any money, not watch any game, and preferably not be a part of any internet activity that has to do with the team, not watch Youtube highlights of games...

To keep on rooting for United in a general sense (i.e. being happy that they won a game or a title when you come across this info) is alright imo.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Maybe we need a separate thread for those of us considering abandoning the club for moral (and other) reasons. Kind of the exodus 2.0 (1.0 being the original Glazer takeover).
Yes there are probably better threads for that kind of discussion - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/wou...backed-ownership.474122/page-33#post-30668590

I personally don't understand how anyone could suddenly turn off the support for their football club but each to their own.

Especially when there were much stronger reasons to do so when the Glazers arrived rather than now.

I prefer the Qatari bid but would accept either as an improvement on what we currently have.

Last edited:

ScholesyTheWise

Yes there are probably better threads for that kind of discussion - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/wou...backed-ownership.474122/page-33#post-30668590

I personally don't understand how anyone could suddenly turn off the support for their football club but each to their own.

Especially when there were much stronger reasons to do so when the Glazers arrived rather than now.

I prefer the Qatari bid but would accept either as an improvement on what we currently have.
Would you care to explain re: the bolded bit?
not saying you're right or wrong, just curious.

vanrooney

was always for qatar as football is a money machine and it would be naiv to think we can prevail without being on a level field with all the other oil state funded clubs. for me that takes nothing out of the club in itself, the heritage, the history will always be the same. we are now in a world of football where clubs are only seen as investment or sports/greenwashing tool, you have to accept that. as a fan there are only two options for me: first to see all the horror and say no to commercial football and go support fcuom or second negate the commercial side and hope for the best for your club. and that is for sure qatar over ineos - in the end united can always stay proud as we did it on our own, qatar would only be a catalyst in contrast to a break like the glazers

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Would you care to explain re: the bolded bit?
not saying you're right or wrong, just curious.
The Glazers bought the club in a hostile takeover, it was not actually for sale. Then of course there is the debt which is still an issue today.

The club and the fans tried to stop them, but there was a boardroom rift with major shareholders and as a publicly listed company anyone could buy the shares.

Many fans were shareholders (including me) and did not want to sell, we were happy with the PLC but had no choice due to takeover rules.

Some fans did boycott and give up ST tickets, some even formed a new club. There was a big split in the matchgoing fanbase that has taken many years to heal.

Read here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4540939.stm

Compare that to today, where the club is openly for sale and most fans desperate for a new owner after a decade of poor performance.

Absolutely bizarre to me that a potential owner shows up who wants to get rid of the Glazers, clear the debt and promise to invest in the stadium but some fans, who happily supported during the Glazers years, think this is the time to stop supporting the club?!

Honestly I don't get it at all

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
The Glazers bought the club in a hostile takeover, it was not actually for sale. Then of course there is the debt which is still an issue today.

The club and the fans tried to stop them, but there was a boardroom rift with major shareholders and as a publicly listed company anyone could buy the shares.

Many fans were shareholders (including me) and did not want to sell, we were happy with the PLC but had no choice due to takeover rules.

Some fans did boycott and give up ST tickets, some even formed a new club. There was a big split in the matchgoing fanbase that has taken many years to heal.

Compare that to today, where the club is openly for sale and most fans desperate for a new owner after a decade of poor performance.

Absolutely bizarre to me that a potential owner shows up who wants to get rid of the Glazers, clear the debt and promise to invest in the stadium but some fans, who happily supported during the Glazers years, think this is the time to stop supporting the club?!

Agree with all this.

We need an rvn

Post of the year. Well said Sir / Madam / Non-Binary

Tyrion

Qatari, not Saudi - big difference!

Even with all their FFP breaches and one hand tied behind our backs due to the debt, we have spent more than enough to be competing with City in recent times - we just spent badly. And even if not City then we have certainly spent far more than a whole host of clubs around Europe who have done better than us over the last decade.
We do not need to cheat like them, we just need to be debt free and have better decision makers in the boardroom.
Exactly. If any clubs could be successful without sugar Daddy's or oil state backing, it's us, Bayern and the big Spanish 2.

nakpodiareuben

Not very long ago, we were disgusted when the Oil money came to city. Now we know we may not be able to cope without same oil money!. I still don't understand how madrid seems to be able to pay for any player they want. Maybe someone will explain to me someday. Aside it's legendary status, where do they get money to buy just any player they want? Could it be that united financial team may not be as astute as could be maximized? We have been neck to neck with Madrid for years now. Really don't understand. I know ineos will end up like glazers( it's sl biz and not the club) but I still feel we will lost an identity when the Qatar money comes

VP

Well, count me equally perplexed. I don't understand how any sane United fan cannot be queasy about the Qataris.

It's terrible that a cultural institution like Man United has been the plaything of a billionaire--especially when that billionaire is as incompetent and repugnant as the Glazer family.

Sure replacing a billionaire with a state owner will solve our financial problems, but how can you not see all the other issues that come with it?

And please spare me the deluded nonsense that Jassim has nothing to do with the Qatari state.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Well, count me equally perplexed. I don't understand how any sane United fan cannot be queasy about the Qataris.

It's terrible that a cultural institution like Man United has been the plaything of a billionaire--especially when that billionaire is as incompetent and repugnant as the Glazer family.

Sure replacing a billionaire with a state owner will solve our financial problems, but how can you not see all the other issues that come with it?

And please spare me the deluded nonsense that Jassim has nothing to do with the Qatari state.
There are 2 options on the table and I'm only interested in which is best for my football club so spare me the deluded virtue signalling nonsense

Bondi77

I would not be surprised if fan protests over the new owners (Qatari) surpasses the ones over the existing owners as they would be joined by people that are not even interested in football.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I would not be surprised if fan protests over the new owners (Qatari) surpasses the ones over the existing owners as they would be joined by people that are not even interested in football.
Don't be silly - there would be virtually no protest if Sheikh Jassim took over, most will be celebrating seeing the Glazers leave the club

Saudi Arabia are many times worse than Qatar on any moral level - how many protests do you see there? None

Pickle85

Are you being paid to run Qatari PR on here?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Anyone else think that the deal is done and Qatar don’t want to announce until our transfer business is done so we don’t get shafted?

Bondi77

Don't be silly - there would be virtually no protest if Sheikh Jassim took over, most will be celebrating seeing the Glazers leave the club

Saudi Arabia are many times worse than Qatar on any moral level - how many protests do you see there? None
Yeah but they were desperate for anything that looked like success and probably lucky to have a fanbase that made double figures outside of Manchester whereas we are one of if not the most supported club in the world.

fergosaurus

There are 2 options on the table and I'm only interested in which is best for my football club so spare me the deluded virtue signalling nonsense
Are you not interested in any way about Qatar's human rights record? What about the likelihood that they were "allegedly" involved in corruption to win the WC and therefore the legitimacy of future success we have will be highly dubious regardless of the honest revenue we generate?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Are you not interested in any way about Qatar's human rights record? What about the likelihood that they were "allegedly" involved in corruption to win the WC and therefore the legitimacy of future success we have will be highly dubious regardless of the honest revenue we generate?
I've written in detail about all these things on several occasions - feel free to look back at my posts

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
There are things I don't like about both parties but I couldn't give a flying f@ck what supporters of other teams think of us. Never have, never will.

And for the record, I've never criticised City, Newcastle or Chelsea for their owners. Lots to laugh at them for other than that!

Will I walk away from the club if either of our new owners win the race to own us... that's almost like asking me to walk way from my own family. I've always said, if United went out of business, I'd stop watching football altogether except for England in actual competitions.

I've never understood how the Glazers were allowed to use the value of the club to buy the club in the first place and don't tell me that all English owners of clubs everywhere in the world are white as snow. Of course, I despise human rights abuses but I also despise Brexiters. The one reason I prefer the Qatar bid is it gets rid of the Glazers forever and completely - SJR's doesn't seem to do so

Last edited:

RatPack

I am beginning to fear we will not get new owners. Glazers are just looking for an investor. They never intended to sell majority. Come 2024 Glazers will still be the owners.