Qatar to buy Leeds?

cyberman

Ian Harte and Nigel Martin are the height of Leedsness for me

padr81

Supports
Man City
And Chelsea. They have had a rise similar to 12-?? current City.
Yup but in reality we can placed well below those clubs pre-takeover because we were so shite for the 20 years before hand while they were still picking up occasional cups.

Sir Scott McToMinay

There’s really no other explanation other than karmic debt for the Fergie years.
I mean how worse it could get? City, Liverpool, Leeds in the too 4 while we get relegated?
Feck sake

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Nope. If Leeds and City reversed roles right now Leeds would be a monster club.
Sure, just ignore the factual data and go with your gut instinct I guess.

Hulksmash

Im sure they don't want money. Qatar have so much money, that even they do not know what to do with it.

Qatar wants fame and global presence which PSG will never be able to do because of the global presence of the french league. Premier league is the solution to get global presence. Biggest and best and most entertaining league in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Let's also remember that if you do intend to sell, think the buyer is keen and you want the best price a legitimate strategy is to rebuff any initial interest. Of course it's also what you say if you genuinely don't want to sell too.

I wouldn't be too comfortable reading much into that either way.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Sure, just ignore the factual data and go with your gut instinct I guess.
Historically, Leeds are bigger than City. Not now of course as they went into the wilderness and City got rich and have won silverware recently. It’s not an insult towards City as they have become huge. Leeds were just a more famous team. Same could be said of Newcastle.

Horace Pinker

Supports
Manchester City
Historically, Leeds are bigger than City. Not now of course as they went into the wilderness and City got rich and have won silverware recently. It’s not an insult towards City as they have become huge. Leeds were just a more famous team. Same could be said of Newcastle.
Leeds won their first trophy in 68, the league cup. They have won 5 in their total history. They won 4 of those 5 between 68 to 74. City won 4 trophies between 68 to 70. They have spent much longer in lower leagues than City ever have while having on average much lower attendances. City were and are a much bigger club, unless you of course ignore facts.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Leeds won their first trophy in 68, the league cup. They have won 5 in their total history. They won 4 of those 5 between 68 to 74. City won 4 trophies between 68 to 70. They have spent much longer in lower leagues than City ever have while having on average much lower attendances. City were and are a much bigger club, unless you of course ignore facts.
Quite. Those facts have already been posted in the thread and are easily located on google. He either knows nothing about football history or he’s on the wind-up, or both.

Wazza4Gaffa

Fellow Man Utd fans, do you really believe that clubs such as Leeds etc. can compete with Man Utd and the other big/top clubs without outside investment? The days of building up your club to the top is gone with all the money being generated in the PL especially in the UCL spots. It's pretty tone deaf to stick your nose up at teams needing investment as the way football is setup currently, it is nigh on impossible to close the gap.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Fellow Man Utd fans, do you really believe that clubs such as Leeds etc. can compete with Man Utd and the other big/top clubs without outside investment? The days of building up your club to the top is gone with all the money being generated in the PL especially in the UCL spots. It's pretty tone deaf to stick your nose up at teams needing investment as the way football is setup currently, it is nigh on impossible to close the gap.
Spurs? Leicester? They've not just competed with the rich clubs, they've done better.

Spending 100s of millions is a monster shortcut but it's been done in the past and it'll be done again.

shaky

Why should they have a right to compete with the top clubs? Leeds missed out on the peak PL money years because they tried to get greedy and ended up shooting themselves in the foot. No sympathy for them. Plenty of teams have made it to the PL just by being well run and well managed, without the need for crazy cash injections.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Spurs? Leicester? They've not just competed with the rich clubs, they've done better.

Spending 100s of millions is a monster shortcut but it's been done in the past and it'll be done again.
Yep. Spurs net spend over the last 10 years is just £15m - an average of £1.5m per season. The money saved has gone into our new training centre and stadium.

Full bodied red

Why should they have a right to compete with the top clubs? Leeds missed out on the peak PL money years because they tried to get greedy and ended up shooting themselves in the foot. No sympathy for them. Plenty of teams have made it to the PL just by being well run and well managed, without the need for crazy cash injections.
This !

Ridsdale was ( perhaps still is for all I know ) a sort of financial wheeler-dealer who was nowhere near as good as he thought he was and, eventually, turned out to be responsible for more than just the financial meltdown at Leeds.

It was Ridsdale's decision to mortgage Leeds' future income, a genuinely stupid decision, and when it all went wrong and he was eventually kicked out in 2003, he left Leeds with £100 million+ of debt ( a huge amount in those days ) and a shit group of players, and with Leeds heading for relegation to the 3rd Division.

Just to prove that it wasn't just a case of bad luck at Leeds, he subsequently managed to acquire a share of the ownership of Barnsley where he helped manage the finances so well that they eventually reached the brink of liquidation and had to be rescued by new owners ; then moved on to and some of his decisions contributed to the huge financial problems at Cardiff City which eventually left the club $60 million+ in debt and hanging on by its finger nails; after which he was a consultant to and then owner of Plymouth Argyle and the staff and players weren't paid for almost 12 months until a new owner took over from Ridsdale.

I've no idea what he's up to these days - as a few years ago he was found to have illegally pocketed almost £350,000 which actually belonged to one of his companies and which resulted in the company being liquidated with debts of around £450,000. At the time, he was involved as ' a consultant ' with Preston North End.

Not the sort of the person you'd buy a used car from but seemingly has no problem finding work ' helping ' football clubs with their financial affairs.

Hulksmash

It's coming. Qatar bosses will meet the Leeds owner on Monday and will talk to Bielsa directly. They are confident to take over the deal. Al khelafi will deal with transfer dealing as soon as possible ( Lequipe)

UpWithRivers

Utd cant compete with the top clubs - City, PSG, Barca etc let alone Leeds. Yes there are and always will be outliers - Leicester, this year the scousers have done well. But generally the Oil Rich clubs will win 90 percent of the trophies until something changes.
Still dont want Leeds and Newcastle being owned - buy Brighton or Cardiff.

Precaution

How is this legal? It seems weird how PSG owners can own a team in Europe that could play them potentially, same goes with the RB teams, Salzburg + Leipzig

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Hulksmash

Let Parisen is reporting now that Leeds Owner has agreed to sell now. Only Papers are left

Huge news for Leeds

Manc_white

Supports
Leeds united
In what way are they bigger may i ask?

Before City were taken over it was
League Titles: City 2 - Leeds 3
FA Cups: City 4 - Leeds 1
League Cups: City 2 - Leeds 1
European Trophies: City 1 - 0 Leeds.
Before I start just joined the board I am a Leeds fan so my views my differ to the majority on this board, so just so you know I’m not on wind up with my posts

I saw this post & couldn’t help but join to correct a few things.

The last part regarding European trophies is wrong

Leeds won the inter cities fairs (europa league) cup twice in the late 60’s early 70’s so they still have more European trophies to their name.

Whilst no one forgets the runners up in these finals between the mid 60’s to mid mid 70’s

Leeds won the league in 2 times & were runners up 5 times won it again in 92

Fa Cup winners once
Fa Cup runners up 3 times

League cup winners once
Runners up once

Charity shield winners once& won it again in 92
Runners up once

Inter cities fairs cup winners twice runners up once

Cup winners cup runners up once

European cup runners up once

So in the space of 10 years Leeds competed in 13 cup finals & either won or finished 2nd in 7 league campaigns. 2 of the european finals the refs were never allowed the ref games again due to the being bent & that includes the European cup final

Whilst I know man united dwarf that with their 20 years of dominance. City have had a very good 10 years, on the back of being backed by millions.

I saw a few posts stating they had a little success in the early 90’s that’s true in actual fact we had a very good 90’s barring a couple years we were never out of the top 5/6 in the league, which now would be looked at like we were part of the big 6.

90/91 4th
91/92 1st
92/93 17th
93/94 5th
94/95 5th
95/96 13th
96/97 11th
97/98 5th
98/99 4th
99/00 3rd

Then going into the 00’s obviously

00/01 4th
01/02 5th

Before it went wrong

02/03 15th
03/04 19th

So in theory we were part of the top table at the time & missing out on the champions league on occasion as there were only 3 places up for grabs, city meanwhile had a comparable time in the 90’s being relegated to division 2 & yo/yoing around the 1st & prem.

We managed to get to the CL semi final which city have only been able to manage despite being back by millions & millions have obviously have been further than city previously in the 70’s. so I would say city’s

As for why would QSI look to invest in Leeds we’re a 1 club city with the highest income 45 millions in the championship barring those with parachute payments.

We were on tv 22 times this year due to the high audiences we bring in. Problem is for all that we received approx 5/6 in tv money compared to the those in the prem but there is money to be made through that type of exposure with Leeds in the prem through sponsorship etc

As a city it’s attractive with the biggest financial economy in the north.

Our owner & the PSG owners are good pals have been for a number of years. We already have links on our board to to Qatar’s aspire academy used to develop their players for the next World Cup.

Whilst have been out of the premier league for so long we may not have the exposure in foreign markets like America & China.we have massive followings across the uk & Ireland. Australia thanks to kewell & Viduka. Massive support in Scandinavia (see the guy who plays Jamie Lannister in game of thrones) who is from Denmark. & we have Bielsa who has brought the spotlight back on us, love us or hate us we’ve been talked about all over the world because of him this season. All our games have been shown in Argentina also. The foundations are there, far more than the likes of wolves etc who are starting from scratch.

Whilst I don’t expect them to buy us out in full this summer an investment with a view to buying the majority upon promotion. Do I think we’ll be throwing cash around no ffp wouldn’t allow as city & Chelsea got away with it before ffp came in. But will Leeds be able to break the top 8 with good backing absolutely & over time with money are we big enough to sneak in to the top 4 absolutely. It may be slow & steady as they’ll still have PSG who are in the CL every year but the league doesn’t get the exposure the prem does around the world on weekly basis so eventually you never know.

Anyway sorry for the long post I only get 3 for being a newbie so if I don’t respond that’s why

Reactions: 2cents

padr81

Supports
Man City
Before I start just joined the board I am a Leeds fan so my views my differ to the majority on this board, so just so you know I’m not on wind up with my posts

I saw this post & couldn’t help but join to correct a few things.

The last part regarding European trophies is wrong

Leeds won the inter cities fairs (europa league) cup twice in the late 60’s early 70’s so they still have more European trophies to their name.

Whilst no one forgets the runners up in these finals between the mid 60’s to mid mid 70’s

Leeds won the league in 2 times & were runners up 5 times won it again in 92

Fa Cup winners once
Fa Cup runners up 3 times

League cup winners once
Runners up once

Charity shield winners once& won it again in 92
Runners up once

Inter cities fairs cup winners twice runners up once

Cup winners cup runners up once

European cup runners up once

So in the space of 10 years Leeds competed in 13 cup finals & either won or finished 2nd in 7 league campaigns. 2 of the european finals the refs were never allowed the ref games again due to the being bent & that includes the European cup final

Whilst I know man united dwarf that with their 20 years of dominance. City have had a very good 10 years, on the back of being backed by millions.

I saw a few posts stating they had a little success in the early 90’s that’s true in actual fact we had a very good 90’s barring a couple years we were never out of the top 5/6 in the league, which now would be looked at like we were part of the big 6.

90/91 4th
91/92 1st
92/93 17th
93/94 5th
94/95 5th
95/96 13th
96/97 11th
97/98 5th
98/99 4th
99/00 3rd

Then going into the 00’s obviously

00/01 4th
01/02 5th

Before it went wrong

02/03 15th
03/04 19th

So in theory we were part of the top table at the time & missing out on the champions league on occasion as there were only 3 places up for grabs, city meanwhile had a comparable time in the 90’s being relegated to division 2 & yo/yoing around the 1st & prem.

We managed to get to the CL semi final which city have only been able to manage despite being back by millions & millions have obviously have been further than city previously in the 70’s. so I would say city’s

As for why would QSI look to invest in Leeds we’re a 1 club city with the highest income 45 millions in the championship barring those with parachute payments.

We were on tv 22 times this year due to the high audiences we bring in. Problem is for all that we received approx 5/6 in tv money compared to the those in the prem but there is money to be made through that type of exposure with Leeds in the prem through sponsorship etc

As a city it’s attractive with the biggest financial economy in the north.

Our owner & the PSG owners are good pals have been for a number of years. We already have links on our board to to Qatar’s aspire academy used to develop their players for the next World Cup.

Whilst have been out of the premier league for so long we may not have the exposure in foreign markets like America & China.we have massive followings across the uk & Ireland. Australia thanks to kewell & Viduka. Massive support in Scandinavia (see the guy who plays Jamie Lannister in game of thrones) who is from Denmark. & we have Bielsa who has brought the spotlight back on us, love us or hate us we’ve been talked about all over the world because of him this season. All our games have been shown in Argentina also. The foundations are there, far more than the likes of wolves etc who are starting from scratch.

Whilst I don’t expect them to buy us out in full this summer an investment with a view to buying the majority upon promotion. Do I think we’ll be throwing cash around no ffp wouldn’t allow as city & Chelsea got away with it before ffp came in. But will Leeds be able to break the top 8 with good backing absolutely & over time with money are we big enough to sneak in to the top 4 absolutely. It may be slow & steady as they’ll still have PSG who are in the CL every year but the league doesn’t get the exposure the prem does around the world on weekly basis so eventually you never know.

Anyway sorry for the long post I only get 3 for being a newbie so if I don’t respond that’s why
Great post fair play, I wasn't trying to belittle Leeds at all. The inner cities fairs cup isn't acknowledged by Uefa and I have very little knowledge of it or what it is, I'll be honeest and say I genuinely thought it was a cup that was only played at trade fairs, it was upon googling I realized it grew into the Uefa/Europa. Fair play on letting me know.

I'm a City fan btw and I was just pointing out that the difference in the history of Leeds and City was very small, like ourselves you had the same horrible fall from grace. The poster in question I was quoting was confusing Leeds history with that of Villa (7 league titles). You had a fantastic team in the 90's early 2000's with some fantastic players. Gary McAllister was a fave of mine during the 90's. I also enjoyed the team with Viduka and Kewell in the early naughties.

I wouldn't begrudge you investment either, another once big club who could do with a rather large helping hand.

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool
That was a good post. Question, how did you go from winning the league in 92 to finishing 17th in 93? I remember you being the last winners of the old first division but completely forgot what happened the year after. What the hell did happen?

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Even if Qatar buys Leeds, they will still have a huge task ahead to make it competitive. And I hope Uefa goes against them since the beginning (I assume the FA will just eat the crumbs).

Manc_white

Supports
Leeds united
That was a good post. Question, how did you go from winning the league in 92 to finishing 17th in 93? I remember you being the last winners of the old first division but completely forgot what happened the year after. What the hell did happen?
We didn’t really move on from the 92 team. We were rumoured with shearer at the time but that never came off, we bought rocastle past his best.

And we never adapted to the back pass rule.

Last edited by a moderator: