g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think I've ever seen a more poorly organized and subdued World Cup. I was planning to go, had my World Cup tickets but flight ticket to Qatar and every single hotel has skyrocketed ridiculously high. Even hostels and airbnb owners are charging like 500 to 1000 euro a night. Fecking exploitation. :mad:
Predictable that this would be the case given that this is a golden opportunity for AirBnB owners to make money.

I used to live in Augusta Georgia - home of the Masters golf tournament. Each year, home owners would feck off for a week and rent their homes out at insane prices (this was pre-AirBnB) and basically make upwards of six months worth of mortgage payments in a week.

Tarrou

Let me introduce you to a thing called ‘sportswashing’?
the tickets sold at the same rates as the other world cups so it didnt seem needed, but I was misunderstood thought it meant because not enough people were going, which wasn’t the case

I see how it could make sense for them to be paying influencer types to go and post

RedDevilMachine

Predictable that this would be the case given that this is a golden opportunity for AirBnB owners to make money.

I used to live in Augusta Georgia - home of the Masters golf tournament. Each year, home owners would feck off for a week and rent their homes out at insane prices (this was pre-AirBnB) and basically make upwards of six months worth of mortgage payments in a week.
These scumbags really....I could understand marking up the price by 20% to 50% and wanting to make money from a once-in-a-life-time event but these feckers have marked up their price by at least 200%. Even the cheapest accommodation is like 150-200 euro per night and you're sharing in a small dormitory room with 6 other people. The cheapest I can find is slightly less than under 100 euro per night but it's a tent which looks like a prison. The moment you don't have the infrastructure for something so basic like the accommodation which is the bare minimum, you should have no right to host the World Cup. Australia or USA should have been awarded the 2022 host bid.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
These scumbags really....I could understand marking up the price by 20% to 50% and wanting to make money from a once-in-a-life-time event but these feckers have marked up their price by at least 200%. Even the cheapest accommodation is like 150-200 euro per night and you're sharing in a small dormitory room with 6 other people. The cheapest I can find is slightly less than under 100 euro per night but it's a tent which looks like a prison. The moment you don't have the infrastructure for something so basic like the accommodation which is the bare minimum, you should have no right to host the World Cup. Australia or USA should have been awarded the 2022 host bid.
Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

Given how small Qatar is, its mindboggling to think they wouldn't have thought about the accommodation problem before awarding them the WC.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Lack of fair priced accomodation is a major failing at this tournament and goes back to the tiny size of Qatar

I wanted to go but was not prepared to pay £200 a night for the Fanzone portacabins

DrogaPortoroz

There is no free water at that temperature? They can have all the money in the world but they are stingy as feck. And it is a disaster waiting to happen.

scottser

I for one was so proud and touched to hear infantino giving a voice to ginger frecklers all over the world. Few people really understand what it's like to have your face likened to a join the dots puzzle or have comparisons made about your scrotum and a popular biscuit.
He has truly stirred the beast of revolution.
Slava Gingers!

The Firestarter

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

Given how small Qatar is, its mindboggling to think they wouldn't have thought about the accommodation problem before awarding them the WC.
They should put Infatino, who is today a migrant worker, in one of these huts for a couple of days.

Tarrou

Will the shipping container you'll be staying in have wifi?
they said it would, but I'm not holding my breathe on that

I can use my phone data for $5AUD a day if need be though

edit: it also said it had a gym, but when they sent the map around there is no gym to be seen

I got massive FYRE festival vibes from the mailer

they attached a word document with a basic table, asking us to fill it in and return it hand-written.. but the form asked for all the same stuff you had to tell them to book it anyway (name, passport number, dates etc..)

and the best thing, they forgot to bcc on the email and a bunch of idiots have reply all'd on there replies with the attached form and all their personal data on it :lol:

Djemba-Djemba

edit: it also said it had a gym, but when they sent the map around there is no gym to be seen

they attached a word document with a basic table, asking us to fill it in and return it hand-written.. but the form asked for all the same stuff you had to tell them to book it anyway (name, passport number, dates etc..)

and the best thing, they forgot to bcc on the email and a bunch of idiots have reply all'd on there replies with the attached form and all their personal data on it :lol:
Yeah from the outside looking in at all this, it legit looks a disaster waiting to happen. I recently watched that Woodstock 99 documentary and some of the bits i've seen look similar.

I hope the fans like yourself are safe and ok when you go.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't think I've ever seen a more poorly organized and subdued World Cup. I was planning to go, had my World Cup tickets but flight ticket to Qatar and every single hotel has skyrocketed ridiculously high. Even hostels and airbnb owners are charging like 500 to 1000 euro a night. Fecking exploitation. :mad:
They are pros at that.

Nero

Why do people need a wristband to buy water?

Am I being dumb here?
Fresh drinking water is probably a privilege only offered to Qatari nationals. Everyone else has to justify their request.

A wristband distinguishes you from the migrant workers who have their water rationed.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I would guess it's just one of those cashless systems to cut down on queue times? Where you put money on the wrist-band and tap

if not no clue
Sounds a lot more realistic than the other suggestion!

Interested to hear your reports from the ground

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
This is looking like Fyre Festival part 2, no preperation at all. Given England's match is on Monday I presume a lot of fans must be there, what is the situation like for anyone there?

Kopral Jono

Getting Fyre Fest vibes :lol:
I can't get my head around Qatar's thinking behind all this shambles. Stadium alcohol ban and stuff like no revealing clothes, whatever, it was always going to be a tough ask. But Qatar -- bankrolled with an infinite amount of money -- has had twelve long years to prepare everything to the T to showcase the very best the country has to offer despite everything, and judging from reports the president of Fifa has even lived in the country for the last three years to oversee everything. It really begs the question: if after years of preparation they still can't get right the things that really matter to any World Cup e.g. fan accommodation and creating a general party atmosphere for tourists, why host it in the first place?

If you're going to sportswash, the very least you can do is sportswash properly!

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

I was thinking about the alcohol debate at the stadiums. Reminds me of when I went to Euro 2016 and I bought 4 pints for £7 each, only to find out they were 0.5%. We couldn’t buy proper alcohol at the stadium. This was in Lille, France so I’ll assume all other stadiums were the same.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I for one was so proud and touched to hear infantino giving a voice to ginger frecklers all over the world. Few people really understand what it's like to have your face likened to a join the dots puzzle or have comparisons made about your scrotum and a popular biscuit.
Slava Gingers!
Promote this geeza

M16Red

Sweet jebus. I reckon you'll have a great time.

hp88

I was thinking about the alcohol debate at the stadiums. Reminds me of when I went to Euro 2016 and I bought 4 pints for £7 each, only to find out they were 0.5%. We couldn’t buy proper alcohol at the stadium. This was in Lille, France so I’ll assume all other stadiums were the same.
Sure Spanish clubs do the same thing, it’s no big deal really it’s just the way they have gone about it which was wrong.

hp88

100% got their inspiration from Fyre Fest…

Not sure how they got this so wrong though, the stadiums look amazing but it feels like they totally about the accommodation and knocked something together within the last few weeks.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's the price of the accomodation that's mental - those tents are basic but if it was say £50 a night then you could accept it

It's the exact reason I didn't go

Tarrou

Bloody hell, the website said you’d get a fridge, aircon, shower and wifi

what a joke

MDFC Manager

Not sure how they got this so wrong though, the stadiums look amazing but it feels like they totally about the accommodation and knocked something together within the last few weeks
I believe a lot of accommodation infra projects couldn't get completed on time mainly due to COVID. They were already under the pump with having too less accommodation to begin with and this screwed them completely.

hp88

nah I just checked in for my flight, got to the bar and this was the first thing I saw feck my life

might start looking for accom in UAE
Keep us all posted on your adventures, from what I have seen so far from people who are actually there the general atmosphere isn’t bad, it’s just different.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
100% got their inspiration from Fyre Fest…

Not sure how they got this so wrong though, the stadiums look amazing but it feels like they totally about the accommodation and knocked something together within the last few weeks.

$220bn spent and that's the accommodation?

Andre Kagawa

nah I just checked in for my flight, got to the bar and this was the first thing I saw feck my life

might start looking for accom in UAE
Ok, mate! Don't worry too much, you'll be fine. Are you gonna live in that fan village from the article?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Slava Gingers!
Amen fellow redhead.