Quaranteam draft - Physio vs Isotope

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

.................................................... TEAM PHYSIO .......................................................................................................... TEAM ISOTOPE ..................................................

Team Physio:

Tactics – Direct/ Mixed

Formation – 4213

Defensive Line Balanced

Marking – Zonal

Motto – Score more than the opposition

Law and Hamrin will have the freedom to switch sides and drift wherever they wish (Law’s favoured position was as inside forward) with Spencer playing as a focal point and running the channels. The width will be primarily by Nelinho and Briegel with Scholes and Souness as a double pivot – the Scholes is the old DLP version, Souness will be playing more of a DM role rather than B2B. The young energetic Schuster will be the creative 8. The creativity from Scholes, Schuster and also Souness will provide lots of opportunities for the front three. Crosses from Breigel, Nelinho and Hamrin will also provide excellent aerial service for one of the GOAT headers of all time.

At CB we have the formidable duo of the athletic Thuram and Sanatmaria, the latter who is very used to playing in attacking setups. To finish the defence of is the legendary Belgian keeper Jean-Marie Pfaff.

Team Isotope

The Team plays a compact 4-4-1-1 formation
, with impressive defensive work from attack to defence. The Team midfield four blends craft, defensive steel and attacking thrust. Constant crossings from flanks, and incisive passings from midfield are variety venue of attacks the Team capable of. When under pressure, defence and midfield have players to launch quick counter-attack.

Leading the front are the dynamic duo of Luigi Riva and Rivaldo. Crossings from Kaltz and Zagallo suit Riva as a striker. And his strength and workrate create spaces to Rivaldo (on free role) to work on his magic.

Two of best playmakers (on different area of the field) in Masopust and Kopa (a wide playmaker), will ensure midfield control and supply to the front line. In Zagallo, he made it possible for Brazil to change their 4-2-4 system to 4-3-3 in two World Cups, a testament of his caliber as a winger that can tuck in to help midfield.

Then Varela, worth a paragraph of his own. One of the greatest defensive midfielder and captain of all time. He’s a leader, with street-smart in game, who could lift the moral of the entire team.

Rock solid defence of Bratseth (a libero who could man-marked Van Basten), Camacho (could man-marked Dzajic), Perfumo (Argentina Captain) and Kaltz (excellent ball-crosser, and can play as centerback) are guarding Peter Shilton, one of England’s best of all time. Bratseth and Kaltz ensure smooth supply to midfield and attack from the back line.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Am I the only one who double-checked the teams when Zagallo was spotted playing against Physio?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A snippet about Zagallo (start at 3;25 min.)

1 goal and 1 assist in 1958 WC Final
4 assists and 1 goal in 1962 WC. On that video clip, starting 6:45 min., the type of goal and assists (crossing) he made.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Iso has a nice lopsided 4411 formation. As a setup though I think Perfumo is a little too libero-ish to be an ideal partner for Bratseth. More importantly though Masopust is really too deep to make a big enough impact here. From what I have seen he is much more at home in more of an attacking 8/10 role than as a CM. That said Zagallo could make it work but it would be more the 62 version than 58. My side with Scholes fits much better with him providing the ball playing from deep.

I also think Riva will have a tougher time against Thuram and Santamaria (Real legend who stood out in an incredibly attacking side) than Spencer with Perfumo and Bratseth. It is also worth noting that Spencer was not just a head on legs but a quick forward who could dribble well. The fluidity and variety of the front three will be a pain for Iso.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I don’t know enough of ISO’s team but don’t like physios team much :/

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Not wishing to bang a similar drum to one I did in the last draft but I do have more firepower than Iso. The third goalscorer in the form of Hamrin really adds another threat that Kopa doesn't really provide. Also given the unpredictable movement of the three I really think this will be a pain for Iso to defend especially with Masopust in CM.

Here's a couple of vids. Firstly Denis Law showing what a complete player he is:

And secondly the dynamism and link up play of Alberto Spencer

Enigma_87

You know who
Just what stood out to me and what didn’t really grip me was how narrow it was, didn’t like how deep scholes was with souness beside him, law as a wing forward.
I think it's because of the formation graphic that it looks narrow. Hamrin looks fine as a RWF and one to stretch the defence on the right. Law does seem a bit odd in that role, but Briegel provides width on the left.

@Physiocrat have you considered to move Briegel a bit higher on the pitch in a more LWB role and switching Souness and Scholes? Souness would provide cover when Briegel bombs forward and if you put Hamrin a bit further wide it will open up the graphic a bit more.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Just what stood out to me and what didn’t really grip me was how narrow it was, didn’t like how deep scholes was with souness beside him, law as a wing forward.
Law and Hamrin are relatively narrow in the OP because it is the full backs that will provide the width primarily so they have the freedom to do what they wish. Souness isn't behind Scholes he's just in a double pivot.

Hopefully this clears it up a bit. The ball is on the left in this example:

Edit - With the ball on the right Nelinho would be higher and Briegel a little deeper.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Physiocrat have you considered to move Briegel a bit higher on the pitch in a more LWB role and switching Souness and Scholes? Souness would provide cover when Briegel bombs forward and if you put Hamrin a bit further wide it will open up the graphic a bit more.
See the above in possession formation graphic. Hamrin wasn't a hugely trad winger, that role was mainly taken by Skoglund on the left. Hamrin liked to drift in a lot and the OP tries to communicate that. Hamrin can off course drift wide, the point is that Law and Hamrin can do as they please with the full-backs taking the responsibility to primarily provide the width.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Law and Hamrin are relatively narrow in the OP because it is the full backs that will provide the width primarily so they have the freedom to do what they wish. Souness isn't behind Scholes he's just in a double pivot.

Hopefully this clears it up a bit. The ball is on the left in this example:

Edit - With the ball on the right Nelinho would be higher and Briegel a little deeper.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I’m still not overly keen on that role for Law but my knowledge there is limited, I’ve always thought of him as a striker, from the left maybe but uptop, not sitting deeper with 2 or 3 players infront of him

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I’m still not overly keen on that role for Law but my knowledge there is limited, I’ve always thought of him as a striker, from the left maybe but uptop, not sitting deeper with 2 or 3 players infront of him
Have a watch of the video I posted. He drops deep a lot and drifts everywhere. He wanted to play like Di Stefano

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeh. Zlatan's Formation doesn't really get the best of most of the midfield and attacking players.

Law here, one of the best forward, need to sacrifice his game to provide space to others. Also when Kaltz and Kopa (two of the best out there) attacking his side, does he need to drop back all the way to help Scholes and Briegel??

Scholes as DLP used to work with 4 midfielders, where 2 on the flanks protecting him when defending.

Not to mention Nelinho. Is he capable defending his side, while providing width on attack, with Zagallo lurking?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The best playmaker on the field, Raymond Kopa. Luigi Riva is exactly the type of striker where Kopa has proven splendidly working with, a similar type to Fontaine. Strong, fast, with lots of movement.

Most of my players are playing at their familiar positions, and able to get the best out of them.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Especially Rivaldo. Here's Rivaldo, behind a mobile striker, and working with a wide playmaker; as in my Team. A true beast of player. Goalscorer, assists.

He could have 4 goals and 2 assists here, if VAR was available. He occupied defence, his excellent movement got him into positions to score, and he could feed the striker with good ball also.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think it's because of the formation graphic that it looks narrow. Hamrin looks fine as a RWF and one to stretch the defence on the right. Law does seem a bit odd in that role, but Briegel provides width on the left.

Yeah I think this is what would improve the first glance test.

For Physio I like the balance in the defence, with contrasting centre and full back partnerships. Potential for real control in midfield too. Only real drawback is a slightly clunky left flank. Both can do a great job there, but ideally I’d have more of a left-footed touchline-hugging crossing merchant to feed Law, Spencer and Hamrin. I like Nelinho though serving those guys up as well as the frightening prospect of Briegel galloping into the box untracked to meet a deep cross.

For Iso it’s straightforward and clean. Nice partnerships across the piece on the right, in centre midfield and up top.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Yeh. Zlatan's Formation doesn't really get the best of most of the midfield and attacking players.

Law here, one of the best forward, need to sacrifice his game to provide space to others. Also when Kaltz and Kopa (two of the best out there) attacking his side, does he need to drop back all the way to help Scholes and Briegel??

Scholes as DLP used to work with 4 midfielders, where 2 on the flanks protecting him when defending.

Not to mention Nelinho. Is he capable defending his side, while providing width on attack, with Zagallo lurking?
Good questions. After a turnover the front three will counter press, to allow the full-backs to get back into position. In the organised defensive phase we will revert to a 4411 with Schuster going to LM or RM and one of Hamrin or Law going the other side depending on where the were in the attack. Mostly it will be Hamrin at either LM or RM with Law behind Spencer.

As for Scholes he played in a midfield two flanked by C Ronaldo and Giggs. The former didn't do much off the ball and Scholes partner was Carrick - now I like Carrick but he is far less dynamic than Souness. Also Schuster is a hard working dynamic worker so I don't think the balance is off at all.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Good questions. After a turnover the front three will counter press, to allow the full-backs to get back into position. In the organised defensive phase we will revert to a 4411 with Schuster going to LM or RM and one of Hamrin or Law going the other side depending on where the were in the attack. Mostly it will be Hamrin at either LM or RM with Law behind Spencer.

As for Scholes he played in a midfield two flanked by C Ronaldo and Giggs. The former didn't do much off the ball and Scholes partner was Carrick - now I like Carrick but he is far less dynamic than Souness. Also Schuster is a hard working dynamic worker so I don't think the balance is off at all.
I don't know Hamrin is working defensively. But I can buy the 2nd paragraph reasoning. Good point on Souness and Carrick.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Especially Rivaldo. Here's Rivaldo, behind a mobile striker, and working with a wide playmaker; as in my Team. A true beast of player. Goalscorer, assists.

He could have 4 goals and 2 assists here, if VAR was available. He occupied defence, his excellent movement got him into positions to score, and he could feed the striker with good ball also.
TBF it is a good use of Rivaldo although I would prefer him on the left of a 433 or 4231 with an attacking LB to make use of his crossing ability but that is a little nit picky here.

My main complaint is Masopust, from what I have seen he was the major creative force for the Czech's and generally played much further forward than a typical CM in a midfield 2. The midfield will be a bit leaky or Masopust rather restricted

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
TBF it is a good use of Rivaldo although I would prefer him on the left of a 433 or 4231 with an attacking LB to make use of his crossing ability but that is a little nit picky here.

My main complaint is Masopust, from what I have seen he was the major creative force for the Czech's and generally played much further forward than a typical CM in a midfield 2. The midfield will be a bit leaky or Masopust rather restricted
Good point on Masopust. I did research on the Cafe drafts. As far as the consensus are, he's described as a workhorse box-to-box creative player.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-double-draft-qf-harms-vs-enigma.420627/
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/eap-vs-onenil-nt-peak-draft.428081/

and from the great man:

So, when it comes to specifically Modric am pretty sure he is best with a proper holder and not a regular, even defensive b2b as he is best when the team recycles possession and he is on the front foot. Now, from little that I've seen (and tbh I didn't see a lot) Masopust is also more #8 than #10 and while you definitely have more grit and work-rate in that midfield I don't think it is perfectly balanced.
Harms
Josef Masopust in Suarez’ absence will be my standout midfielder. The classic half-back transforms very well into the modern box-to-box midfielder and his engine, defensive ability and tactical nous makes him perfect for this role, but the player I found myself comparing him with is Andres Iniesta. His preference of the left side, incisive runs with the ball (which were trademarked by the fans as the «Masopust’s slalom»), vision and passing ability, stepping up at the international stage (he won Ballon D’Or in 1962 after leading his team to the World Cup final) when it really matters, there are so many similarities between them. We all know how well Iniesta dovetailed with Messi - and imagine a more physical version of the Spaniard who is even going to cover for the left back if needed, although Iniesta was probably a slightly better passer than him.
EAP
Josef Masopust - Greatest Czech player ever

A workhorse of a left half, excellent in recovery and brilliant in attack with his slalom runs. Good dribbler and passer with box to box abilities to contribute at both ends. Named as "European Footballer of the Year" for his performance in the 1962 WC.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Did he not play in a 2 with big Pluskal holding the forte?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Did he not play in a 2 with big Pluskal holding the forte?
Not that I remember. According to wiki (I know it's not the most reliable) he played on the left as a midfield 3 in the 62 final.

Also from the all-touch compilations I have seen he plays a much more attacking role than you expect of a CM in Iso's setup.

@harms

What's your take on the use of Masopust?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Physiocrat Happy to defer to the experts on this one. I think I got that impression based on this quote from the coach.

Czechoslovakian national team coach Rudolf Vytlačil said:
Pluskal was the perfect player for 4-2-4 system. Like I said numerous times, if Svatu didn't exist it would be necessary to invent him. He was so tough, yet disciplined and responsible, both on and off the pitch. A players like him is born once in 20 years.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Found an interesting conversation about Masopust, including a few who watched him live:
https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/how-good-was-josef-masopust.63647/

I saw him once or twice playing for the great Czech.team. He was a midfielder who looked as though he strolled through the games. A bit like Beckenbauer before he found his place as a defender.Masopust had another two really good players in midfield with Popluhar and I think,Popovitch.Long time ago for this 75 year old so my memory may be fading.
Yes, I am old enough to remember the World Cup tournament in Chile. Seem to recall that some of the games could be described as very competitive but Masopust who wasn’t all that well known stood out as a very classy player.
According to Jim Baxter, who replaced Masopust for Rest of the World v England in 1963, Masopust was top class.
Yes just about to mention that.Slim Jim and him were always mentioned in the same breath in their prime
-------

Then articles https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...anship-saw-him-described-knight-10356401.html
Immensely skilful, beautifully balanced and incisively intelligent, the Dukla playmaker was prodigiously industrious in his box-to-box role, and although he was no bruiser, he was adept at breaking up opposition attacks with crisply-timed tackles and shrewd interceptions.
-----
Google translate from Italian: https://giocopulito.it/josef-masopust-ragazzo-doro-must/
Many years later those like him would have defined them as “box to box” midfielders , with the unrivaled and concise effectiveness of English. Yet, in his case, the definition would never have been enough to describe and encompass all his qualities: athletic, tactical, technical.
although he suggest that Masopust also have attributes as attacking midfielder:
Pretending to give a definition , technical and exclusive as regards the role, especially if we reasoned about the portions of the field to walk on and the mileage during the games, would be equivalent to omitting some of his talents. Those that made him a futuristic player , futuristic if we think of the type of football that would arrive in the seventies. We could say, to give the concept at least a little, that the scoresheets placed him in the middle line and that he, at the same time, had everything to play the attacking midfielder : the step, the innate gift of the last pass, the sharpness of the insertions and finally the conclusion, whyMasopust's shot was already paradigmatic in itself: a synthesis of power and precision.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Masopust is absolutely fine here. Varela is pretty much the perfect Pluskal replacement/upgrade (going by reports), Zagallo offers a lot of grit on the left (he’s famously responsible for Brazil’s 4-2-4 transforming into something resembling a more modern 4-3-3).

It’s hard to find a more modern equivalent of him. Look at Toure at City (I’m talking about the balance between defensive & attacking actions), maybe late, MSN version Iniesta (but Masopust was more physical), those examples look nothing alike, but he was somewhere in between.
TLDR — I wouldn’t play him in a midfield 2 with another box-to-box, but in a France-18 like set up with a defensive midfielder & a left winger dropping deeper in midfield he’s perfectly fine. Especially since the opposition has a midfield three and not really a set up with a Maradona/Zico-esque number 10.

Edit: Charlton would be a good comparison if we’re talking about the amount of defensive/offensive responsibilities.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Fair enough Masopust is fine in this role. I did think it might be ok with Zagallo there but thought it would limit him somewhat.

Thanks for the info @harms @Gio @Isotope

Enigma_87

You know who
Good discussion re: Masopust, I don't have issues with him either. Like both teams but slightly like Physio's front 6 - Law has the work rate to pull off the inside/wing forward role and the synergy with Spencer is there.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Well played Iso. Very clean team indeed. I would focus on improving your CBs going forward.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well played Iso. Very clean team indeed. I would focus on improving your CBs going forward.
Thanks, Physio. It's unfortunate yours met a great team at first round.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
@Zlatan 7

Did you have a chance to watch the Law video?
Read that Law was only played like that video clip on first few seasons at United (so his goal numbers were just ok). Then he was told to just stay up-front, and that's when he became goal machine.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
@Zlatan 7

Did you have a chance to watch the Law video?
Yes, not too long ago, I have to be honest I was surprised to see how deep he was a lot of the time and how comfortable he seemed doing it and picking out great through balls, he was probably outside the box twice as much as in it in that video which surprised me and maybe my thoughts on Law were wrong and quite underrated

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Andrej Kvasnak was the player that often played in what would be considered attacking midfield role in the '60s Czech teams. Masopust the conductor/more two-way player behind him, alongside a more defensive player

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Read that Law was only played like that video clip on first few seasons at United (so his goal numbers were just ok). Then he was told to just stay up-front, and that's when he became goal machine.
Nah. Busby kinda kept reminding him to stay up front, but he still always dropped back and ran around — probably not as much as he would’ve liked ideally, but still a lot.