Quarter-finals discussion

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I've no fecking idea with this World Cup, but I can't fecking wait until Friday! 2 days is too long -- I'm going to have football withdrawal. :(

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Croatia not only have fantastic personnel but a good team spirit and coherent system.

Rakitic and Modric have been immense, they have very good fullbacks (especially Vrsaljko) and Mandzukic is a big game player.

Schneckerl

France - Uruguay
Brazil - Belgium
Sweden - England
Russia - Croatia

Inter Yer Nan

I think France will get past Uruguay in a close one. 1-0

Conventional wisdom says Brazil beats Belgium but there's not a ton of conventional wisdom at this cup and I think Belgium will finally make a run into the deep stages. Fancy them 2-1.

Croatia I think will beat Russia with a bit of style. 2-0 and in complete control.

England to beat Sweden. I'm thinking 2-1.

Misobutter

France - Uruguay looks very interesting. I think Mbappe will find it a lot harder to get any space to run into against Uruguay's brick wall of a defence. Argentina made it too easy for him. This could be the making of the current French generation.

Our game against Brazil should have a lot of goals in it, so it's almost guaranteed to entertain the neutrals. I'll be a complete nervous wreck though. I've never truly believed our team is capable of big things but winning this game would definitely change that. I can't see it happening though, this is probably as far as we go, once again.
Friday is going to be amazing! Hopefully none THAT many goals though in that second match, or I'll be a complete nervous wrack. Also, Brazil and Uruguay have only conceded once.

NikkiCFC

Supports
Chelsea
100 fecking % this. Just get to the finals. They'd be hero's for that alone, not even winning the thing.
Hero's for reaching the final with opponents like Panama, Tunisia (amateur teams), Colombia, Sweden, Russia (third class of national teams) and maybe Croatia (second class team)?

Carolina Red

Staff
Hero's for reaching the final with opponents like Panama, Tunisia (amateur teams), Colombia, Sweden, Russia (third class of national teams) and maybe Croatia (second class team)?
England hasn’t made the finals since they won it in ‘66, so... yeah, they’ll probably get a heroes welcome.

99withaflake

Yes. They will be playing the teams who deserve to be at those stages of the competition, rather than the nations who lost and went home. When United have won the FA Cup with some easy games leading to the final, do you still congratulate them?

Giggs86

One out of England, Sweden, Croatia or Russia will play in a World Cup final. Let that sink in for moment.

Really hope it's England, and if not then Croatia. Obviously regardless of who it's gonna be, they are going to be massive underdogs in the final.

fallengt

Uruguay vs France. Cavani probably won't be fully fit, Suarez's also just had minor injury. France will go through
Brazil vs Belgium. Neymar is a twat but this Brazil team conceded just 1 goal in 2018. Martinez can't fecking defend, 3-4-3 is a hipster' formation, no chance for Belgium.
Russia vs Croatia. Even in a shootout Croatia has proven they know what it takes to win.
Sweden vs England. England won like what ? 1 in the last 10 matches against Sweden.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
France - Uruguay I'm hoping for France, but can easily see Uruguay getting a win. They're very Atletico like (helps with their center backs), though they are weak in midfield. France probably have the strongest team on paper in the competition, but Deschamps drags them down IMO and they're a team that relies on individual brilliance to win them games rather then having any sort of system. Still with Mbappe at his best and Pogba in good form, think they'll have enough. They need to get more from griezmann though. Going for France.

Brazil - Belgium, Belgium could win with a better manager, because they have the talent on paper obviously to match Brazil. They're a mess defensively though, the 343 is awful and Roberto Martinez somehow manages to make De Bruyne look ineffective as he uses him as a deep midfielder basically. So unless he changes and goes to a sensible 433, then I think Neymar and Willian will run riot down the wings. My guess is Martinez is stubborn and Brazil will win by a couple.

Croatia- Russia, Croatia win here. They're just better in every department, and while they arent amazing or anything, they'll be full of belief. Think Russia are more just happy with how things are at this point so might not be as motivated. Think it's by far the biggest quality gap out of all the games.

England - Sweden, looks another that will go down to the wire. England arent great from open play, but also dont give up that many chances. Dangerous from set pieces, though Sweden are decent at them too. Think England will have enough in the end.

France - Brazil, England - Croatia semi finals.

SER19

Some great games left. Any scenario of semi final from left side of draw will be a cracking game. Whereas the right has some real romance to it with unfancied teams so close to the final.

Really just want to see the best team win and it be done without any further diving from neymar if Brazil win it. Have always liked sweden as a country and respected croatias football so slight leanings towards those sides.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Think one of Uruguay or Russia will reach the semis atleast

saivet

Our record against Sweden isn't great but they've hardly been beating us every time but really there are just a lot of draws.

In last 5 competetive games (W1-D2-L1) the last time they beat us was in '98, so it's tight rather than one sided.

With the other games you lot tell us friendlies mean feck all anyway.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
France - Uruguay: Depends on if Cavani plays (and is fit) if he's not, France go through, if he is then Uruguay's organisation and dogged style will overwhelm a disjointed, individualistic and not very impressive France. Mbappe's pace means nothing verses Uruguay's deep system, so unless France can put together some proper build-up play and control from open play, they're going to get nailed on the counter by the Atletico-like Uruguay. Of course, for this to be in full effect, Uruguay need Cavani and Saurez fully fit.

Belgium - Brazil: Belgium are dire down the flanks and their second man does not help his defender on either side of the pitch. That lack of tracking back or switching off completely is a recipe for disaster against Brazil. It's not that Brazil are any great shakes, but their ability from wide makes Belgium the perfect opponent for them, especially so if Marcelo is back. De Bruyne is being under-utilised and chances to turn the game will not be plentiful, so unless Martinez changes the system and both protects the flanks as well as getting De Bruyne on the ball in meaningful positions, he'll be drowned out and Lukaku will have little service. Hazard will have to prove he's actually world class and have the game of his life to be a one-man countering army that can draw Brazil onto himself and then release Lukaku into the open space. If Brazil score early, they're going to hammer Belgium, imo. Best for Belgium to stay as tight as possible for as long as they can, but that's not likely with Martinez as coach.

Croatia - Russia: Croatia do not handle pressure very well and they are better as the underdog rather than the favourite. This will be the loudest, most raucous quarter final by some distance and Russia will run hard as a collective. The logical thing to say is Croatia will outplay them and kill their enthusiasm with possession, but as shown vs Denmark, the Croats are not fault-free and they do hand over possession when pressed. Russia will press and run far more ferociously than Denmark, and if they can get Modric and Rakitic to work defensively, they'll flag in the second half, which is where Russia come on strong.

Sweden - England: Will be the worst game of the quarter finals unless England can score early. Sweden always manage to kill the game verses England, and England have a natural fear of conceding or going behind in games. It's a combination that makes for a cagey second half. England always come out strong in the first half and then get unnerved and flappy the longer the game goes on, so there'll be a lot of bluster and bold play from them that will fade away once the game gets into the serious minutes. England will create chances, but they will probably fall to Sterling... which means they'll not be converted. It will be interesting to see whether the Swedes have any plans in place to contain Kane or will it be their usual collective effort. If England cannot score early and open the game up, it will either be decided by a set piece or two, or it will have the potential to go all the way to penalties, which are a lottery. Still, having said all that, I do think England will go through.

Semi Finals:

Uruguay - Brazil

Russia - England

Trizy

Belgium vs Croatia final would be brilliant for football.

El Zoido

I’m surprised so many people are tipping Belgium to beat Brazil. They were lucky to beat Japan and Martinez got his tactics completely wrong for 60 minutes. If he gets it that badly wrong against Brazil they’ll probably not get away with it a second time. Brazil look like a side that knows how to win. It’s a tough one to call I think.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Croatia, england, brasil and france. France or brasil big favourites in final. My pick is france to win it.
England vs croatia. Heart says croatia. Brain says england. Englands defence is great. You don't allow clear chances. In attack it is not something special but you are fantastic on set pieces. Also you have Harry Kane who will provoke penalty on every corner. Other players also going down too easy. Ref will give you at least one penalty and lots of free kicks for crosses.

Edit: just realised that i described you like you are Stoke. Sorry.:)

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Croatia, england, brasil and france. France or brasil big favourites in final. My pick is france to win it.
England vs croatia. Heart says croatia. Brain says england. Englands defence is great. You don't allow clear chances. In attack it is not something special but you are fantastic on set pieces. Also you have Harry Kane who will provoke penalty on every corner. Other players also going down too easy. Ref will give you at least one penalty and lots of free kicks for crosses.
How many times did you watch England? Their defence is far from great, they have an inexperienced GK, Walker who's prone to the occasional brainfart, John fecking Stones who's been slated on here the whole season and Maguire without any experience on the big stage. They're also far from fantastic on set pieces, the media gave that impression after they did some fancy stuff against Panama and Tunesia in their first two games but they created next to nothing against Belgium and did nothing that I can even remember yesterday against towers like Sanchez and Mina.

If your midfield is up for it, i.e. plays a lot better than against Denmark, you should be able to dominate them. Colombia pressed them away for the last twenty minutes yesterday and for long periods in OT as well with an extremely average midfield.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Honestly feel Uruguay can beat France. Not only have France been underwhelming, they have also been too reliant on pace of their forwards. Considering the fact that Uruguay play a deep line, I don't see the French have an easy game

Revan

Assumptionman
Going for France, Brazil, Croatia and England to win their next matches. I think that all will be close matches though.

Jacko21

Honestly feel Uruguay can beat France. Not only have France been underwhelming, they have also been too reliant on pace of their forwards. Considering the fact that Uruguay play a deep line, I don't see the French have an easy game
I do too. If France are naive (which is entirely plausible under Deschamps), they'll play right into their hands.

Cavani would be a big miss, but since switching to a midfield diamond Uruguay have looked really impressive and seldom ruffled.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster

Edit: just realised that i described you like you are Stoke. Sorry.:)
If Croatia play England in the semis, Croatia would be favourites.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Really want Croatia to beat Russia. They need to be a lot better than they were the other night though.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
If Croatia play England in the semis, Croatia would be favourites.
The bookies don't think so. Croatia is priced higher to win the World Cup atm than England even though their opponent is arguably weaker than Sweden.

Treble

My prediction: France vs Brazil and England vs Russia will be the semis.

Charles Miller

Apparently Cavani is out. Its going to be tough for Uruguay now. I think they will try to take it to penalties.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Seems to be a prick who lets players get away with too many fouls. Not sure which team is luckiest here, England who's got some cnuts or Sweden who will defend and foul a lot.