Quarter-finals discussion

SharpshooterTom

A lot of people seem increasingly confident England will win this whole, #itscominghome meme's galore, it's their destiny etc. Doesn't seem there's anyone who might stop them. Looks like England really might do this now.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
A lot of people seem increasingly confident England will win this whole, #itscominghome meme's galore, it's their destiny etc. Doesn't seem there's anyone who might stop them. Looks like England really might do this now.
I think most of us are joking with the 'it's coming home' stuff.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I certainly am. It's trolling miserable people. Of course there are 3 or 4 teams who are stronger than us, but it's nice to have a bit of fun and belief for a few weeks. Better than being the bellend at a party that nobody likes.
That's the one :)

99withaflake

I'm not sure I think with the wide open draw people really think this is England's destiny now. Optimism I haven't seen since 2006 at least.
I haven't felt this optimistic since Rooney broke onto the scene and we were looking great at Euro 2004. We really should have beat France in the opening game, but responded brilliantly by putting 3 past Switzerland and 4 past Croatia. To be ahead in the Portugal game for 80 minutes, to then lose on penalties, they were exciting (and heartbreaking) times.

The reason I'm feeling optimistic again is because of the draw we have, rather than the quality of the performances we're putting in. We're doing ok and are still battling. If we were meeting Brazil or France in our next game, my levels of optimism would be 10 times lower, but we genuinely have half a chance of reaching a final here. That's not being disrespectful to Sweden, Russia or Croatia, they're all tough teams to beat, but we have more than a 5% chance for the first time in donkey's years.

SharpshooterTom

I haven't felt this optimistic since Rooney broke onto the scene and we were looking great at Euro 2004. We really should have beat France in the opening game, but responded brilliantly by putting 3 past Switzerland and 4 past Croatia. To be ahead in the Portugal game for 80 minutes, to then lose on penalties, they were exciting (and heartbreaking) times.

The reason I'm feeling optimistic again is because of the draw we have, rather than the quality of the performances we're putting in. We're doing ok and are still battling. If we were meeting Brazil or France in our next game, my levels of optimism would be 10 times lower, but we genuinely have half a chance of reaching a final here. That's not being disrespectful to Sweden, Russia or Croatia, they're all tough teams to beat, but we have more than a 5% chance for the first time in donkey's years.
Exactly so the meme's "its coming home" isn't trolling people it is genuine belief that England have got an excellent chance of winning it, I do think England fans think its their year and its their destiny. The bookies price on England reflects this.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/winner

England are joint second favourites at 4/1....even as short as 7/2.....

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Exactly so the meme's "its coming home" isn't trolling people it is genuine belief that England have got an excellent chance of winning it, I do think England fans think its their year and its their destiny. The bookies price on England reflects this.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/winner

England are joint second favourites at 4/1....even as short as 7/2.....
It's a common phrase in our work now. Every 10-20 minutes you'll hear someone shout 'Its coming home' usually followed by the person laughing at themselves.

None of us think we're going to win it, but most think we're in with a chance. In fact the few people I've heard say we will win it have usually capped it off by saying we'll be the worst side to ever win it if we do.

99withaflake

It's a common phrase in our work now. Every 10-20 minutes you'll hear someone shout 'Its coming home' usually followed by the person laughing at themselves.

None of us think we're going to win it, but most think we're in with a chance. In fact the few people I've heard say we will win it have usually capped it off by saying we'll be the worst side to ever win it if we do.
When Italy won it in 2006, to reach the semi finals they played Ghana, USA, Czech Republic, Australia and Ukraine. The only decent team they beat was Germany, before winning the final on penalties. I'm pretty sure their fans would't change a thing.

I'd happily be the worst team to ever win the World Cup!

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
When Italy won it in 2006, to reach the semi finals they played Ghana, USA, Czech Republic, Australia and Ukraine. The only decent team they beat was Germany, before winning the final on penalties. I'm pretty sure their fans would't change a thing.

I'd happily be the worst team to ever win the World Cup!
Oh god yeah I couldn't give two shits, I'd be absolutely buzzing if we reached the final playing poor sides throughout. The day of the final would be absolutely unreal and something I didn't expect to see any time soon in my life.

Gasolin

With the latest results, I would love to see a France England final. And France winning its second star...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Not sure where to post.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Re: Yellow card discussion in the England v Sweden thread. Saw this on reddit for a quick visual.

Holy shit the Croats could screw themselves if it's a rough game. Also Brazil would look decidedly more workmanlike without Neymar and Coutinho.

Canagel

Re: Yellow card discussion in the England v Sweden thread. Saw this on reddit for a quick visual.

Croatia are walking a tightrope here. Could potentially screw everything if a couple of those players miss the semi. I'm suprised Uruguay doesn't have more players. Suarez should be there.

buchansleftleg

Wow so if Russia make it painful for Croatia - that would see many of their best players out of a potential semi final with England!

I've always found the Russians to be a proud and wonderful people led by an inspirational leader in Mr Putin!

by the way - have they announced who is the ref for the Uruguay vs france and Belgium v Brazil games as I feel they are ones most likely to be influenced by referees decisions.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Wow so if Russia make it painful for Croatia - that would see many of their best players out of a potential semi final with England!

I've always found the Russians to be a proud and wonderful people led by an inspirational leader in Mr Putin!

by the way - have they announced who is the ref for the Uruguay vs france and Belgium v Brazil games as I feel they are ones most likely to be influenced by referees decisions.
Mazic is reffing Brazil-Belgium, he's the one who did the CL Final this year. Don't know about the other ones.

EDIT: Kuipers is doing Sweden-England, you're lucky as he's one of the best in business imo. An Argentine is in charge of France-Uruguay and a Brazilian is doing Russia-Croatia, don't know either one of them tbh.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
All these Croats get booked now for the semis, and Coutinho and Neymar get booked in the semis :drool:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
All these Croats get booked now for the semis, and Coutinho and Neymar get booked in the semis :drool:
Yellows expire after the quarters anyway, so the only way to miss the final these days if you pick up a red in the semis.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Wow - some big names could miss out. How have Uruguay ended up with only one player on a yellow!?

England could end up with no midfield, Croatia could be in serious trouble if they go though, Belgium as well, Russia without Golovin would be totally underwhelming, even more so Brazil without Coutinho or Neymar, and France could lose a huge part of the spine of the team that beat Argentina if Pogba and Giroud miss out.

One positive, might be the best way to ensure Neymar doesn't roll around for days after each tackle.

promisedlanchiao

aren’t yellows canceled out after the quarters?

redshaw

I'm surprised so many non English are talking as if we're going to the final and all this not much stopping us winning it talk.

We could easily come unstuck against Sweden. Either Croatia and Russia would be very tough in a semi final and awaiting us is probably France or Brazil who look likely winners. We've got the best chance for a long time to make it to the final at least and same can be said for each team in our side of the draw.

Last edited:

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm surprised so many non English are talking as if we're going to the final and all this not much stopping us winning it talk.

We could easily come unstuck against Sweden. Either Croatia and Russia would be very tough in a semi final and awaiting us is probably France or Brazil who look likely winners. We've got the best chance for a long time to make it to the final at least and same can be said for each team in our side of the draw.
I actually would fancy England vs France tbf. France would hardly have anything left in the tank physically and mentally if they reach the finslas thanks to the games they are playing

Nikhil

The song was made for fun. It's poking a bit of fun at how England haven't played well for a long time in international tournaments. Fans sing it for the banter.

No one has any expectations. Did you see the video the BBC made before the World Cup? Good fun.