Race for Top 5 finish - Possible 5 teams in CL next season

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I didnt enjoy it at all but im used to us being a useless team now after 10 years if mediocrity
Mate, we came from 2-0 down and were leading 3-2 with 2 minutes left. A soft as feck penalty has cost us, and all you care about is being "right" about us losing all of our games.

Go and support someone else.

peridigm

Can't see us getting more than 8-11 points from the remaining 8 matches.

BorisManUtd

I really think it'll be a challenge to stay 6th now. Especially if players decide to switch off like in 18/19 and 21/22.

Roboc7

It was over before tonight, zero chance this team playing how it does could overhaul the gap to Spurs or Villa. One thing they are capable of is dropping lower than sixth though, it’s 50/50 whether we’ll cling on.

abailey123

Don’t know why we want to be in the CL when we’ll just limp out of the group anyway. Get me to May and the end of the season- this whole season has been a car crash, yet we could still win the FA Cup ‍♂

redmanx

I really think it'll be a challenge to stay 6th now. Especially if players decide to switch off like in 18/19 and 21/22.
We'll be lucky to finish 10th behind Newcastle, Brighton, Chelsea and West Ham, and even Wolves could finish above us.

Canuckred64

Any chances of us making the Champions League are surely gone now and in reality weren't all that good even if we had won today. Play whatever kids we have that might be good enough one day to play for the first team. Rest some of the starters from time to time so they will be fresh and healthy for the FA cup., we might just fluke it. Last thing we need is to to make the Europa League or the other competition next season.

ManRed

Don’t know why we want to be in the CL when we’ll just limp out of the group anyway. Get me to May and the end of the season- this whole season has been a car crash, yet we could still win the FA Cup ‍♂
I see this post every 2 seasons on Redcafe. What a great decade for the club

PoTMS

We're gonna struggle to finish 6th. We need to win the FA Cup otherwise I fear it's Conference League for us.

always_hoping

Winning the FA Cup gives a team Europa league football? As it stands in the league United are more likely to finish in the Europa conference league position now than top 5.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Top 5 only makes the Champions League if English club's results hold up in the UEFA competitions.

We have Leverkusen which may be a bit of a challenge, Arsenal have Bayern having already lost games to Lens and Porto and Villa may hit a point where they need to make up their minds about priorities. Not too sure that Man City will get past Real Madrid either. Liverpool should win the Europa but not completely nailed-on.

Chairman Steve

I thought we had a chance but the last two league games we’ve not so much shot ourselves in the foot, but blasted the entire leg off with a shotgun blast.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Top 5 only makes the Champions League if English club's results hold up in the UEFA competitions.

We have Leverkusen which may be a bit of a challenge, Arsenal have Bayern having already lost games to Lens and Porto and Villa may hit a point where they need to make up their minds about priorities. Not too sure that Man City will get past Real Madrid either. Liverpool should win the Europa but not completely nailed-on.
Bayern/Arsenal and Leverkusen/West Ham will really decide about the 5th spot. If both German teams win, it becomes extremely hard for England to catch up, if both lose England passes Germany and should be immediately safe (I don't believe in a Dortmund miracle CL win which would be the only way Germany could overcome that)

Hughie77

Agree, it's over and there all going through the motions , seen this so many times with the current players at utd.. they play for Money pretend they care about the fans they don't.. no pro does anymore in any club ..7th or 8th I'd rather 8th .

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
In the wake of last night's debacle, I just don't see INEOS keeping faith Ten Hag next season, and in all honesty, I genuinely wouldn't mind the new manager having Europa Conference League.
Where do we need to finish in the league to qualify for that?

With 'new manager bounce' we might actually have a chance of winning something..!!

Melville Red

I Looked at our remaining fixtures this morning and can honestly see us only getting a further seven points. With West Ham having a dodgy looking run in I think we will just about finish where we are now, however Newcastle could push us into 7th.
Will we finish with a negative GD? It’s possible.
Will ETH still be with us after the FA Cup semi final? The way we are playing now does not fill me with confidence.

Pintu

In the wake of last night's debacle, I just don't see INEOS keeping faith Ten Hag next season, and in all honesty, I genuinely wouldn't mind the new manager having Europa Conference League.
Where do we need to finish in the league to qualify for that?

With 'new manager bounce' we might actually have a chance of winning something..!!
if we expect city to win the FA Cup, then, normally 7th or 8th goes to the conference league, depending on whether England gets the extra CL spot or not.

scenario 1: City wins the FA Cup and England makes the UEFA top 2. (7th play Europa league, and 8th play conference league)

scenario 2:City wins the FA Cup and England fails to make the UEFA top 2. (6th play Europa league, and 7th play conference league)

scenario 3:Man United wins the FA Cup, we are guaranteed Europa league, at least, no matter the rest.

scenario 4: Coventry or Chelsea wins the FA Cup and England makes the UEFA top 2. ( FA Cup winner play Europa league, and 7th play conference league)

scenario 5: Coventry or Chelsea wins the FA Cup and England fails to make the UEFA top 2. (FA Cup winner play Europa league, and 6th play conference league)

The last two scenarios are also based on Chelsea, not making top six of the PL.

Red & White

Villa have 5 wins in 12 league matches in 2024. It was there for the taking even after our awful first half to the season, we just haven’t been good enough over the whole course. It’s so disappointing.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
6th is the real battle now, West Ham already on same points as us, Newcastle a point behind and Chelsea just 5 behind with a game in hand. Should probably be safe vs Brighton given their calendar, and also the gap to Wolves and Bournemouth probably already too significant for them to close.

Red & White

6th is the real battle now, West Ham already on same points as us, Newcastle a point behind and Chelsea just 5 behind with a game in hand. Should probably be safe vs Brighton given their calendar, and also the gap to Wolves and Bournemouth probably already too significant for them to close.
We’ve got 2 games in hand on West Ham. They’ve got Liverpool, Chelsea (away) and City (away) in their last 6 league games, as well as the two legs vs Leverkusen to navigate in the Europa League Q/F. They’ve also only won 1 of their last 5 league games, the dodgy win against Wolves yesterday. I don’t think they’ll pass us.

Newcastle certainly have a chance and have a favourable run-in after the home game against Spurs next weekend. 3 wins and a draw in their last 5 league games.

Chelsea have the game in hand on us and obviously a decent squad. I was surprised to see they‘ve only lost one game in the last 2 months (League cup final in extra time Vs Liverpool). They do have City, Arsenal, Villa and Spurs all in a row in a couple of weeks, though. They’d need to pick up a couple of wins from them.

Brighton, Wolves and Bournemouth aren’t in the conversation, in my opinion.

Havak

Pokemon master
It's going almost exactly how I expected it to. Villa has one win in their last five Premier League games. They are giving us the chance I expected them to. But we also have one win in our last five Premier League games, so we're letting them off the hook. Hold on vs. 2/3 from Brentford/Chelsea/Liverpool and we could be around five points behind Villa with a game in hand. Regardless of the performances in those games, we had winning positions in all of them with not much time left and didn't see it out. We are just not capable of the consistency required to overtake them from this position. It's disappointing because I really don't feel like we are asking a lot from this team to get the points that were required from our last 10 to finish 4th/5th this season and they still can't do it.

Villa could and probably will lose another three games in the PL, but they'll still finish 5th.

We are going to stumble over the line to finish 6th at best. Hopefully we can put in one big performance to win the FA Cup - but I obviously doubt that as well.

BorisManUtd

As poor as we are, if we held on few minutes to beat Brentford and Chelsea, we'd still be in it. Spurs have really difficult schedule until the end and Villa have been dropping points for a long time now. Shame but did not deserve top 5 anyway given our performances. Should concentrate on finishing 6th because that's in danger as well.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
On the basis of the run ins, Newcastle should nab 6th quite comfortably. They have the most comfortable run in with nothing to distract them.

Red00012

Not that it will bother us , those results last night put England into 2nd place ahead of Germany .