Racism and the sad reality

RedStarUnited

At least now we can collectively admit that most people really don't care about racism.

Look at the way this European Super league stuff has shaken the football world. Gary Neville and other pundits coming out in force to back ideas like point deductions, title stripping etc.

Where was/is this energy when it comes to racism? Who have UEFA/National Football Associations threatened to the same extent?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Context is important here. Imagine if those 12 clubs all had officials who were exposed as racists. That would be more comparable.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The difference is this time the clubs are behind it.
Exactly. It's hard to blame a club and penalise them that strongly when it's hard for them to in turn control stray fans. Most incidents of racism are from fans in football.

Odd correlation.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It will never go away because humans are inherently bigoted. In the same way homophobia, transphobia, anti semitism & islamophobia won’t either. We’re in a period of time where at least we can say it’s a minority of people, but hating what you’re not will always exist in some people.

RUCK4444

Totally agree with you OP. You just get the standard 'not acceptable' lines trotted out when racism is mentioned.

Threaten somebodies football team (or wallet more likely) and you watch their boll@x grow and changes happen.

I fully expect this SL to be scuppered by a collective force of different governing bodies, MP's, lower league clubs etc etc. If they put this much effort into anti-racism then teams wouldn't be forced to play in backward nations where the fans collectively chant racist abuse.

RedStarUnited

Exactly. It's hard to blame a club and penalise them that strongly when it's hard for them to in turn control stray fans. Most incidents of racism are from fans in football.

Odd correlation.
The difference is this time the clubs are behind it.
When John Terry was accused of Racism, did anyone say he should stripped of his titles and banned from the PL?

amolbhatia50k

When John Terry was accused of Racism, did anyone say he should stripped of his titles and banned from the PL?
John Terry is an individual not a football club. This is not an accusation it is a fact (SL) nobody is desputing. Such a strange correlation. Also why is racism the only crime out there for you guys? What about drink driving? Shouldn't that also result in the same outcry? Did you do feel the same way when a player did it?

And obviously people care more about football clubs and the game itself than one John Terry.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think the difference is whether there should be collective punishment. Personally i feel if a player or a fan says something racist, they should be punished appropiately. I don't feel the team mates of the accused should be punished for something they didn't do. But also don't we live in a time where racism in football has ever been less tolerated? Like yes, racist incidents do happen, and they also get highlighted. But it seems like for instance a lot of the racial abuse that is now highlighted is stuff over the internet or social media rather than in the stadium or the game itself. And the thing is when you've got people worldwide commenting on a game over some internet platform it will always be very difficult to ensure that such a thing will never happen again unlike for instance banning a racist matchgoing fan from the stadium.

Last edited:

RedStarUnited

John Terry is an individual not a football club. This is not an accusation it is a fact (SL) nobody is desputing. Such a strange correlation. Also why is racism the only crime out there for you guys? What about drink driving? Shouldn't that also result in the same outcry? Did you do feel the same way when a player did it?

And obviously people care more about football clubs and the game itself than one John Terry.
You are proving my point to be honest.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Sadly racism is just dealt with on a superficial level. The established structures are such that I cannot personally see any real change happening.
We all just have to stay diligent and do what we can on an individual level. However, expecting the whole collective to deal with this issue on the scale that's needed, I cannot see it at all. As a woman of colour I've given up on that. I just do what I can and hope my fellow citizens try to do the right things as well.

RUCK4444

I think he’s just pointing out the stark difference in physical outcry we are seeing now compared to when countless acts of racism occur within the game itself.

Drink driving has nothing to do with football. However Players are racially abused every week within the game itself, all we get is the ‘oh it’s awful’ line.

You don’t see pundits react like they have just now, that’s what I think the OP is referring to and I tend to agree.

amolbhatia50k

I think he’s just pointing out the stark difference in physical outcry we are seeing now compared to when countless acts of racism occur within the game itself.

Drink driving has nothing to do with football. However Players are racially abused every week within the game itself, all we get is the ‘oh it’s awful’ line.

You don’t see pundits react like they have just now, that’s what I think the OP is referring to and I tend to agree.
You don't see the difference between the action of stray fans and the biggest institutions /entities in the sport? What should Gary Neville say in that case - ban a club, ban a league, empty a stadium ? They're very different situations but you're expecting the same reaction.

RUCK4444

You don't see the difference between the action of stray fans and the biggest institutions /entities in the sport? What should Gary Neville say in that case - ban a club, ban a league, empty a stadium ? They're very different situations but you're expecting the same reaction.
I'm expecting the same emotion.

Why would you be more angry about a proposed league formation (has happened many times and life goes on) than you would be about systematic racism that blighting the game week in and week out?

Come on. You know what I mean. I'm not saying Gary could change anything, but it's just as easy for him to shout at the governing bodies that force players to play in countries where racism is shouted at them without fail (as an example.)

Gary looked like he was close to tears yesterday. In essence what the OP I think is getting at is why would you be more emotional and dogmatic about a subject that affects nobody in a bad way, in comparison to racism that affects millions on a personal level.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
If racism had true economic consequences to clubs whose supporters / players / ownership showcased such, foundation shaking economic consequence, we would have similar outcry.

Until then, it’s all lip service.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I’ve no problem admitting I’m more bothered by the ESL, which would massively affect MY main interest in life, than individual alleged cases of racism.

I hate racists, but I also hate flashers, paedos, wife-beaters, all of whom I spend less time thinking about than football.

People are allowed to have interests and hobbies and there are plenty of bad things in the world that we all could/should be more bothered by.

Last edited: