Radamel Falcao | Ducker: Medical passed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So where is the Neville and Scholes criticism?
Don't think they would be disappointed with him at all. Neville isn't a fan of slow players who don't put in defensive shifts or luxury type players, like Mata. Though Scholes really liked Kagawa and I think he likes mata too.

Loublaze

ATLien
Neville just on talkSport now, doubt he'll say much controversial but I'm expecting to hear a few comments in the next few days about this not being the United way, always had a spirit in the club due to having local lads at the heart of the club, Jorge Mendes selling us mercenaries etc..
Is he talking about England right now?

Edit: Yes he is

Loublaze

ATLien
Neville: If United have 5 world class players I don't care if they are foreign or not, but there has to be a home grown element/balance to the team because United fans (basically) won't enjoy watching United without home grown players

Sam

Neville: If United have 5 world class players I don't care if they are foreign or not, but there has to be a home grown element/balance to the team because United fans (basically) won't enjoy watching United without home grown players
He's spot on with that.

Raw

He has a point. But I'm sure I'll get over it when watching Falcao and Di Maria :drool:

Lu Tze

I think I'll get over it.

MDFC Manager

Not so sure. That kind of sentimentality gets quickly thrown out when the team goes on a dire run, like we are on right now.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The lads on TalkSport tonight are having a right meltdown tonight.. claiming it's "unethical" because the loan market blah blah. Stan is also saying Ander Herrera is a poor midfielder haha bitter bitter people.
I stopped listening to them over a week ago. Got fed up having to switch off. So now I don't switch on.

Loublaze

ATLien
So the Falcao deal is apparently permanent according to his agent, but the first year had to be a loan because of FFP on Monaco's end. How does that work?

bosnian_red

The homegrown thing isn't that big of a worry. I never thought Welbeck would become first choice at United because he'd never force one of the strikers out because of his lack of a killer instinct. Wilson on the other hand is at the perfect age to take over from our current strikers and become first choice eventually, which I think he definitely has the talent to do.

Kakeru

I didn't ask this before, but was De Gea once a teammate in the same Atletico squad with Falcao? If so, it shouldn't be difficult for Falcao to get help in settling in.

bosnian_red

So the Falcao deal is apparently permanent according to his agent, but the first year had to be a loan because of FFP on Monaco's end. How does that work?
FFP works over what you've made over the last 3 years I think, so they want to prolong when they get the money as they got James money this summer.

bosnian_red

I didn't ask this before, but was De Gea once a teammate in the same Atletico squad with Falcao? If so, it shouldn't be difficult for Falcao to get help in settling in.
De gea left the summer Falcao joined Atleti

Trizy

I'd rather have a squad of world class foreign players holding the CL trophy than a mix of world class players and overrated English players holding nothing.

gasmanc

Banned
Much rather be watching Cleverley and Wellbeck instead of Di Maria and Falcao, yea nice one Neville, some of the shite we've been served up, we're due this well overdue.

MDFC Manager

Maybe for some, but regardless of whether we are doing well or badly, I know that personally I wouldn't find XI mercenaries the same as a team with a home grown contingent.
I see you're point, but can you really blame the club? The ones asked to leave (Cleverley, Welbeck) had plenty of opportunities to step up to the level that is required at United.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
If they are good enough, they'll come through and LvG has a history of youth development. Persisting with homegrown players who are not good enough is a reason we are in this mess.

MDFC Manager

If they are good enough, they'll come through and LvG has a history of youth development. Persisting with homegrown players who are not good enough is a reason we are in this mess.
Kinda agree with this.

What the club now needs is to revamp the academy system by whatever means possible, to get better end products.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Smash teams with a cast of superstars, or struggle with the Cleverley's and Welbecks?
Yeah I'd much prefer home grown players!

It's the year 2014 for f'cks sake, the days of having 11 players from within a mile are long gone!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'd rather have a squad of world class foreign players holding the CL trophy than a mix of world class players and overrated English players holding nothing.
Exactly this. cannot see why it's that important where players are from these days.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I must admit it I love when foreign players refer to us as "Manchester".

Show that other lot, that their Oil money can be plentiful, but they'll never be the main Manchester club

Loublaze

ATLien
Smash teams with a cast of superstars, or struggle with the Cleverley's and Welbecks?
Yeah I'd much prefer home grown players!

It's the year 2014 for f'cks sake, the days of having 11 players from within a mile are long gone!
I agree. Its still nice to think about players like Wilson making it big. Or even Januzaj, foreign but pretty much 'home grown'.

justboy68

He's spot on with that.
I don't really think he is. United fans want a successful team that plays good football and wins things first and foremost. If we can produce good enough players to fit in with that then great and they will be adored (Scholes, Giggs), if not we quickly want them gone (Cleverley, Gibson, loads of others). Having great players and winning things is the most important factor for every United fan I personally know and if that were to happen even with few academy players you can bet your bottom dollar people would still be happy.

Sam

I don't really think he is. United fans want a successful team that plays good football and wins things first and foremost. If we can produce good enough players to fit in with that then great and they will be adored (Scholes, Giggs), if not we quickly want them gone (Cleverley, Gibson, loads of others). Having great players and winning things is the most important factor for every United fan I personally know and if that were to happen even with few academy players you can bet your bottom dollar people would still be happy.
As an English team, its vital we have a British core imo. Thats just my opinion of course. I just think every team should have a core of players from their own nation.

Sir A1ex

I see you're point, but can you really blame the club? The ones asked to leave (Cleverley, Welbeck) had plenty of opportunities to step up to the level that is required at United.
I'm not advocating keeping crap players. Cleverley can go, he's been part of the problem. But the business of effectively replacing Welbeck with Falcao doesn't impress me.
Welbeck has proved himself perfectly good enough when given a chance. If it was just a case of him going on loan with a view to coming back to take over from RVP, then fair enough, but bringing in Falcao shows that we're just not going to give him the opportunity.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
Apologies if this has already been posted, did it originate on here? made me chuckle anyway.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
can't wait for this to be finally confirmed, holding the 9 shirt up etc....

MDFC Manager

I'm not advocating keeping crap players. Cleverley can go, he's been part of the problem. But the business of effectively replacing Welbeck with Falcao doesn't impress me.
Welbeck has proved himself perfectly good enough when given a chance. If it was just a case of him going on loan with a view to coming back to take over from RVP, then fair enough, but bringing in Falcao shows that we're just not going to give him the opportunity.
Again, I see your point mate. However, you've to consider that Wilson got promoted to the first team and going forwards, he'd get the opportunities that would've otherwise fallen to Welbeck. Then you've to consider Blackett stepping up as well. We aren't doing too bad mate.

OneUnited24

I think he is, at the end of the day you want a English team to have an English/British core. Granted we have had some poor home grown players lately but i did always have pride that we were trying to do things and i'll get slated for this but i do respect Liverpool for trying to do it in a similar fashion with players who were born on these shores. Also lets not forget the home grown quota...

Winning things is important which is why people might be keen to forget our roots but dont think we should.

Status
Not open for further replies.