Ralf’s 4-2-2-2

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Is this our future?

Listening to Ralf in the post match he says that the two 10s have it hardest as they have to be more disciplined defensively and the full backs might end up playing as wingbacks. It also solves the problem we have had recently of connecting midfield with attack and our forward is not so isolated. Long term solution or quick fix?

IrishRedDevil

Liked what I seen today.

- His initial plans is to partner Ronaldo upfront with another striker (Rashford today - needs to improve staying onside as he is there to use his pace).

- Two number 10’s floating around in behind (Bruno and Sancho). The most demanding positions in this formation pointed out by Ralph, as they have to help out defensively.

- Fullbacks pushed forward like wingbacks (Telles and Dalot especially was very good today).

- Centre backs pushing towards the halfway line.

Here is the average positions from today:

816-C987-E-5530-4-A1-A-A500-D78-BCF8-F048-C

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
We require immensely fit, active, fearless fullbacks so that they add a lot of width. Dalot and teles did that today

Uniquim

It's formation he's used quite a lot in the past, so I'm expecting is to mix between 4-2-2-2 and 4-2-3-1 like he's done previously.
Here's a summary of his formations used at Leipzig.

Jacob

I like the fact that it's a very vertical lineup. You have the option of playing direct to strikers ord via 10s. We're stacked in attack so 4 at the front makes sense.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is this our future?

Listening to Ralf in the post match he says that the two 10s have it hardest as they have to be more disciplined defensively and the full backs might end up playing as wingbacks. It also solves the problem we have had recently of connecting midfield with attack and our forward is not so isolated. Long term solution or quick fix?
I’m also interested in seeing if it’s going to be an option or whether it’s going to be our Plan A. I’ve long wanted us to develop our own identity and tactics which we trust in almost every game rather than switching it up depending on who we are playing this week.

Subtle changes within a system are understandable but I’m not a fan of switching from 4 at the back to 5 or varying between 2/3/4 centre midfielders.

We need to build on it and get into a rhythm.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Cavani would be great in this formation as well. We can rotate our front options.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Is this our future?

It's a system Rangnick has used for ages now and the squad is mostly stacked with players who can play it well. However RB worries me, as I don't think AWB can play as required in this system and therefore there is no backup for Dalot.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I’m also interested in seeing if it’s going to be an option or whether it’s going to be our Plan A. I’ve long wanted us to develop our own identity and tactics which we trust in almost every game rather than switching it up depending on who we are playing this week.

Subtle changes within a system are understandable but I’m not a fan of switching from 4 at the back to 5 or varying between 2/3/4 centre midfielders.

We need to build on it and get into a rhythm.
Going by Uniquims post I think it might be his preferred formation. I also like Jacobs point about the verticality it provides along with the flexibility.

It's almost a perfect foundation on which a team can then slip into 4-4-2/ 4-2-3-1/ 442 diamond which are his other most played formations.

cyberman

It's a system Rangnick has used for ages now and the squad is mostly stacked with players who can play it well. However RB worries me, as I don't think AWB can play as required in this system and therefore there is no backup for Dalot.
Telles can play RB

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It definitely suits our squad if we can make it work. Like literally any another formation we lack a number 6 and a RB.

IrishRedDevil

If Bruno/Jadon are his first picks for those vital 10-positions, who would be his 3rd and 4th options?
Greenwood come on in the second half at Right Attacking Mid. He will of course need to improve his work rate.

Lingard will also surely get a chance in there. He was injured today.

The United

It is not new though. Ole did try that once or twice without the work rate. It makes sense to play that way with who we have as players especially up top.

VDB would have more chance to play in that as well along with Bruno and Sancho.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Telles can play RB
Left-footed player as RB is possible, but extremely difficult in a 4222, I don't think Telles is an option in this system for RB. In a 433 or 4231 the RB can pass to the winger, who can then cross or pass it inside with his strong foot. Having one natural and one inverted player on the wing is usually a good thing, as one can drift inside and one stay on the line. But if you don't have a winger, the full back is the one who definitely has to bring the ball inside, which is more difficult when you play inverted.

So the only player in the squad who I think fits the profile of a RB in a 4222 is Dalot.

GreatDane

Left-footed player as RB is possible, but extremely difficult in a 4222, I don't think Telles is an option in this system for RB. In a 433 or 4231 the RB can pass to the winger, who can then cross or pass it inside with his strong foot. Having one natural and one inverted player on the wing is usually a good thing, as one can drift inside and one stay on the line. But if you don't have a winger, the full back is the one who definitely has to bring the ball inside, which is more difficult when you play inverted.

So the only player in the squad who I think fits the profile of a RB in a 4222 is Dalot
Laird is comming, he'd enjoy this setup I think.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I like that Rashford average position is offside.
On a serious note, we just added aggression and were quicker on the ball. One months from now we might be looking very different.
On first impression I think Rashford and Bruno will struggle, but it's get too early to tell.

Idxomer

I like that Rashford average position is offside.
On a serious note, we just added aggression and were quicker on the ball. One months from now we might be looking very different.
On first impression I think Rashford and Bruno will struggle, but it's get too early to tell.
:lol:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We require immensely fit, active, fearless fullbacks so that they add a lot of width. Dalot and teles did that today
They were quite fantastic, to be honest. Defensively, offensively, very impressed. Lindelof also impressed. Maguire was adequate :)

Rashford needs to do much more if he wants to be starting. He may have been one of the worst players on the field today. Jadon Sancho wasn't his best today, either, but not as bad as Rashford.

Last edited:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Rashford and Bruno both need dropping imo. Greenwood and Donny need to be given a shot instead.

Skills

Snitch
I think it suits the squad

Could still do with another CM but that's the case irrespective of what formation we play