Ralf Rangnick | Austria manager

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The thing with Rangnick is, if you hire him you need to give him the full authority to change the team to his ideas. Only then he will be successful (and always has been).

Man United, understandably, didn't let an interim coach to do so. However, then they should never have hired him in the first place.

The outcome was very predictable.
Unfortunately, this is spot on. I can see why United were reluctant to provide that platform, but Rangnick doesn't work out otherwise.

I really liked the appointment, but in retrospect it made zero sense the way it was handled

phelans shorts

The thing with Rangnick is, if you hire him you need to give him the full authority to change the team to his ideas. Only then he will be successful (and always has been).

Man United, understandably, didn't let an interim coach to do so. However, then they should never have hired him in the first place.

The outcome was very predictable.
Always has been is a push for a man who in 30 years of management has won a total of 1 German cup and the Bundesliga 2.

Idxomer

Always has been is a push for a man who in 30 years of management has won a total of 1 German cup and the Bundesliga 2.
I remember finding it awkward when he had his interview with mutv and was asked to list his achievements.

Mercurial

I was happy when he came, but he gave off Snake Oiler vibes and that phallic 422222 formation was a bit ridiculous. I agree with him in principle but his 'feeder club style' transformative ambitions were too small time in the end.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is this Rangnick trying to portray himself better.
All pointing and blaming, not taking responsibility for anything.
Funny thing is the only three matches we won in the final 100 days of his stint were thanks to individual brilliance from Ronaldo. Two hat-tricks against Spurs and Norwich plus a top performance against Brentford.

So glad this clown is gone.

stevoc

It will go down as one the most depressing periods in Utds football history.
Ralf's time in charge is the only thing that will make people look back at the Moyes era fondly in comparison.

Real Name

Funny thing is the only three matches we won in the final 100 days of his stint were thanks to individual brilliance from Ronaldo. Two hat-tricks against Spurs and Norwich plus a top performance against Brentford.

All the worse, but people are buying it.

tomaldinho1

Let’s not pretend the caf was really invested in the Austria national team pre Ragnick, this thread should close - it’s just going to become the Poch thread, any win and posters with nothing better to do jump in and say ‘told you so’ and vice versa. The guy was an interim, hopefully a final bookend to the dross that Moyes, LVG, Mou, Ole and himself subjected us to before the long and glorious reign of ETH.

The Siege

The only thing he did was put a proper target on this club's back and how it's run. Everything he said about anything was ruthless but true. From a management perspective it was a nightmare (you can't expect players to give you anything after slandering them in pressers week in week out) but he called out almost everything that had to be called out at this club, and only a man with a fixed few months on the clock could have done that. The club may have not entertained any of the dramatic changes he wanted, and perhaps rightfully so, but I think quietly they knew a lot of things he was saying needed to be taken note of for the future.

Mercurial

Let’s not pretend the caf was really invested in the Austria national team pre Rangnick, this thread should close - it’s just going to become the Poch thread, any win and posters with nothing better to do jump in and say ‘told you so’ and vice versa. The guy was an interim, hopefully a final bookend to the dross that Moyes, LVG, Mou, Ole and himself subjected us to before the long and glorious reign of ETH.
For better or worse he is now part of our history, there will always be interest to analyze him and his achievements and deduct conclusions on it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Ralf's time in charge is the only thing that will make people look back at the Moyes era fondly in comparison.
Moyes from champion to 7th, spending equivalent to 100m on today's transfer. While RR taken a free fall team from Ole, no transfer, and mid-season without proper per-season training.

stevoc

Moyes from champion to 7th, spending equivalent to 100m on today's transfer. While RR taken a free fall team from Ole, no transfer, and mid-season without proper per-season training.
Well it'd be pretty difficult to conduct pre season training in December.

It's amazing how Rangnick taking over mid-season is regularly painted as some sort mission impossible. Managers take over teams mid-season all the time and improve performances and results. There's even a well known term for it.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Everything he said about anything was ruthless but true. From a management perspective it was a nightmare (you can't expect players to give you anything after slandering them in pressers week in week out) but he called out almost everything that had to be called out at this club
He said nice things about players lots of people here dislike, like Maguire, McTominay, and Fred. I don't know where this idea that he just tore into everyone comes from.

devips

Well it'd be pretty difficult to conduct pre season training in December.

It's amazing how Rangnick taking over mid-season is regularly painted as some sort mission impossible. Managers take over teams mid-season all the time and improve performances and results. There's even a well known term for it.
Well, there is Conte this season, for example.

OverratedOpinion

He said nice things about players lots of people here dislike, like Maguire, McTominay, and Fred. I don't know where this idea that he just tore into everyone comes from.
He said we need 10 new players.

I think that is pretty damning considering you only play with 11 players.

tomaldinho1

For better or worse he is now part of our history, there will always be interest to analyze him and his achievements and deduct conclusions on it.
I’d agree if he’d gone back to club football, especially if it was in a major league, but I’m not really sure how you can judge anything from internationals.

LVG is much more a part of our history than Ragnick and yet, aside from addressing his comments which directly involve the club, no one is bombarding that thread with messages about how good his Netherlands team look.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
He said we need 10 new players.
I think that is pretty damning considering you only play with 11 players.
This is a good joke and all but it's just not an accurate representation of the point he was trying to make:

I'm not blaming anyone, not my players nor anybody else, we just have to realize what kind of squad [Liverpool] had available today. Look at their bench, four players not even in the squad. Oxlade Chamberlain, not in the squad, Minamino not in the squad, Elliott not in the squad. This shows what kind of quality, squad, and team they have built together. This is not only a question of quality, but how they play together, what kind of mentality, energy, physicality they have, high speed, I would say they have 25 Formula One racing cars in their squad.

I don't think [my players] have mentally checked out. It's just a different level. They have better players than we have, if you look at it in total. This was reflected by the result today. There will be a rebuild for sure, but right now that doesn't help us. A rebuild was clear to me since I came. But right now it doesn't help.

The team needs a rebuild. Not because some players have to go, but quite a few players have no contracts anymore, they are expiring. It's clear to me there will be six, seven, eight, maybe ten new players. And before you sign them, you need to be aware of how you want to play.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Or maybe the individual brillance of Ronaldo comes at the cost of the collective brillance of the team. I mean, if Cristiano was that great last season and is reportedly willing to accept a much lower salary than he earns at United, why is seemingly no top club interested in him?

Truth be told, Ronaldo limits the way you can play. It is very hard to integrate him in a team that presses and it is questionable if he's still good enough to warrant that effort.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Guys, it's the fecking Sun. How the feck do people continually manage to discuss pages upon pages of arguments based on what is blatantly an absolute garbage troll source and as such an absolutely illegitimate foundation for discussion.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I’ll never understand the genuine hate this guy gets. Fine, don’t rate him as a manager but the hostility he gets on this forum is toxic as hell.

The man highlighted what a horrid bunch of personalities we had in our ranks.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
If Cristiano was that great last season and is reportedly willing to accept a much lower salary than he earns at United, why is seemingly no top club interested in him
Most top clubs either don't need strikers/attackers or have already made moves in the market to acquire them. Karim Benzema had a great season but if he decided to leave Real Madrid tomorrow I'm not sure he'd have many top clubs to go to, either.

Mercurial

I’d agree if he’d gone back to club football, especially if it was in a major league, but I’m not really sure how you can judge anything from internationals.

LVG is much more a part of our history than Rangnick and yet, aside from addressing his comments which directly involve the club, no one is bombarding that thread with messages about how good his Netherlands team look.
Time eroded interst in LVG I'd say, same can be said for RR i guess, overall id say interest is very fragmented and limited too. He will fade fast.

Idxomer

Most top clubs either don't need strikers/attackers or have already made moves in the market to acquire them. Karim Benzema had a great season but if he decided to leave Real Madrid tomorrow I'm not sure he'd have many top clubs to go to, either.
Not sure if serious :lol:

romufc

I’ll never understand the genuine hate this guy gets. Fine, don’t rate him as a manager but the hostility he gets on this forum is toxic as hell.

Not hate but he was an absolute tool. coming out saying we need 10 players in one window is impossible.

His playstyle was worse than Ole, yet he is mean to be some pressing master.

He fell out with alot of players and couldn't get the best out of any of them.

Guapa

All the blame on the club here as per their MO.Rangnick was on to a loser before he stepped through the door with senior players not on board with his methods and the club not prepared to back him/act on his advice,so why hire him :houllier:

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Not hate but he was an absolute tool. coming out saying we need 10 players in one window is impossible.
He said he needed 10 new players to compete with the likes of Liverpool and Man City. Don't remember he said that has to be done in one transfer window.

His playstyle was worse than Ole, yet he is mean to be some pressing master.
His idea of football and the available players were to total mismatch. The board should have never hired him, if they weren't ready to support him in bringing in new players.
RR biggest mistake was to accept that interim role without having guaranties from the board to support him.

Your board got no vision and long term plan. It will be interesting to see how ETH will cope with it. He will fare better than RR for sure, as being the new permanent manager, he got at least some backing from the board. Whether he will bring back the glory days to United I'm pretty sceptical.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

That's why he gets hate.

If you haven't noticed we have quite a few player fans.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Except he never said that. He said 10 signings over 3-4 transfer windows.

But don't let facts get in the way.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was a shit manager and ETH doesn't rate him enough in any other role to keep him around.

I'm amazed he still has fans here...

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Not sure if serious :lol:
I am serious. Where's he gonna go?

Not to Manchester City, who have Haaland and Alvarez as new signings. Not to PSG, who have Mbappe, Neymar and Messi, and already struggle to field them together. Not to Real Madrid since that's where he is. Not to Barcelona since he's a Real Madrid player (and they're chasing after Lewandowski anyway). Maybe Liverpool and Juventus, though they both have expensive, new, young strikers, so it's not so obvious that they should sign him. Maybe Bayern, but they're trying to keep their own star striker and can afford to lose out on the transfer fee. Definitely Chelsea, who need a striker. That's not a good panorama.

Ronaldo has two less options since he burned bridges at Juventus and Real Madrid.

The Siege

Left a bunch of them for dead man. Openly came out and said the players weren't good enough, not that their performances were good enough. Was blunt about asking for and being denied a striker after he thought the current lot weren't enough. Those things are going to take its toll on a squad.

tomaldinho1

Time eroded interst in LVG I'd say, same can be said for RR i guess, overall id say interest is very fragmented and limited too. He will fade fast.
Yeah hopefully, the scorn in some of these posts is just plain weird.

It's like the Donny situation, I genuinely feel there are 'fans' who would rather he failed now he might get a run of games so they can say 'I was right' than actually see him do well (and therefore positively impact the club). I don't really know what people expected of Ragnick, he joined and was given zero power and we basically just limped on through the season in the same manner we'd started it - then add in he's not a coach so he should never have been appointed and it's just odd.

CallyRed

Guys, it's the fecking Sun. How the feck do people continually manage to discuss pages upon pages of arguments based on what is blatantly an absolute garbage troll source and as such an absolutely illegitimate foundation for discussion.
A sensible post.