Ralf Rangnick | Austria manager

Nickelodeon

These numbers don't really add up in my head. We were paying Rangnick 7 million a year for him to work as a part time consultant. Most managers in the PL don't get paid as much. Also, its not like he was a toxic presence like Jose in his last days. What was the harm in keeping him on than paying him 14 million for doing nothing? We could've kept him as a consultant and ignored his advice.

Our financial dealings are idiotic but this seems beyond belief.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

14m Compensation for 6months :eek:
+2 years of consultancy. It was a real gig, only scrapped because the interim job has gone badly (not just results, but his approach with the media as well) and ten Hag probably not wanting him upstairs.

In any case, feck up from the club reflected in the amount which we had to pay.

SteveCoppellFan

I thought this thread would be active this morning.

Its so harsh to compare Ralf and ETH and then blame Ralf for everything.

Ralf came in when United were on their backside and utterly devoid of anything positive and did not spend a single pound on transfers.

ETH has had a whole pre-season and backed to the hilt in the transfer market, anybody who does not have some kind of blinkered vendetta against Ralf would know ETH would and should of had way more success.

This whole negativity towards Ralf is getting a tad boring.

I love Ole as much as the next person but he caused way more damage to United than Ralf did and yet its Ralf's fault for having a poor season, makes no sense at all.

stevoc

These numbers don't really add up in my head. We were paying Rangnick 7 million a year for him to work as a part time consultant. Most managers in the PL don't get paid as much. Also, its not like he was a toxic presence like Jose in his last days. What was the harm in keeping him on than paying him 14 million for doing nothing? We could've kept him as a consultant and ignored his advice.

What made Mourinho toxic?

phelans shorts

He absolutely was.

ash_86

When ETH joined, i think it was reported that he didn't want Ralf upstairs. It's all one big clusterfeck.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

The club realised it would have been too expensive to bring in the wholesale changes that Ralf recommended and that they’ll need to get rid of too many players because he deemed it easier to just cut them off instead of rehabilitating them back to form.

As usual, the club realised a few months too late that the wholesale changes were needed anyway and proceeded to overspend in making late transfers rather than doing the early business.

Also, Ralf isn’t the kind of guy to build relationships and he’s more of a cut throat guy that needs people to do things his way or it’s out for them. Too many burnt bridges from his interim period, he probably recommended to sell the entire first team for downing tools.

Nickelodeon

The club realised it would have been too expensive to bring in the wholesale changes that Ralf recommended and that they’ll need to get rid of too many players because he deemed it easier to just cut them off instead of rehabilitating them back to form.

As usual, the club realised a few months too late that the wholesale changes were needed anyway and proceeded to overspend in making late transfers rather than doing the early business.

Also, Ralf isn’t the kind of guy to build relationships and he’s more of a cut throat guy that needs people to do things his way or it’s out for them. Too many burnt bridges from his interim period, he probably recommended to sell the entire first team for downing tools.
Again, why would his salary be 7 million? Wasn't he supposed to work only 3-4 days a month?

elmo

When ETH joined, i think it was reported that he didn't want Ralf upstairs. It's all one big clusterfeck.
That’s just the PR talk by the club. He was fine with a DOF at Ajax, no real reason to reject one when the rest of our setup is incompetent and filled with people doing on the job trainings.

elmo

Again, why would his salary be 7 million? Wasn't he supposed to work only 3-4 days a month?
Because he had an existing job with some Russian club and we had to at least match that amount for him to break it and join us.

Do you think he’ll take a lesser pay just to join us for a consultant job? Nobody in their right mind would be taking up a new role for much lesser money.

Skills

Snitch

:lol:

Lyng

I dont know why there is this constant focus on Rangnick still. Anyone by now will have to acknowledge his time with us with a catastrophic failure.
Yes he didnt get the backing from the board and the players clearly didnt buy in to his plans, full well knowing he would only be interim. But he also completely failed to implement anything and our team managed to look worse than under Ole.
Thankfully we now have Erik Ten Hag and things are already looking much better. I honestly dont care what happens to Rangnick in the future and I have also changed my stance on him as a consultant. Ten Hag didnt want him and with how much better we look under him, I am happy the board seems to listen to him.
Rangnick will go down as a complete disaster and rightfully so. I had high hopes for him but was proven wrong.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

He became Mou level toxic from Feb! Literally every PC of his was him shitting on players or the structure or something.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I dont know why there is this constant focus on Rangnick still. Anyone by now will have to acknowledge his time with us with a catastrophic failure.
Yes he didnt get the backing from the board and the players clearly didnt buy in to his plans, full well knowing he would only be interim. But he also completely failed to implement anything and our team managed to look worse than under Ole.
Thankfully we now have Erik Ten Hag and things are already looking much better. I honestly dont care what happens to Rangnick in the future and I have also changed my stance on him as a consultant. Ten Hag didnt want him and with how much better we look under him, I am happy the board seems to listen to him.
Rangnick will go down as a complete disaster and rightfully so. I had high hopes for him but was proven wrong.
Because Rangnick and his disastrous spell at your club is just a small part of a greater issue you guys have. And in order to improve as a club, to get past all this dysfunctional nonsense, you need to form some sort of understanding about the greater and underlying issues. Simply moving on and hoping for the best might not be the best solution.

Lyng

Because Rangnick and his disastrous spell at your club is just a small part of a greater issue you guys have. And in order to improve as a club, to get past all this dysfunctional nonsense, you need to form some sort of understanding about the greater and underlying issues. Simply moving on and hoping for the best might not be the best solution.
But a comment everytime Rangnicks new team under- or overperforms doesnt really add anything to that understanding. Its simply noise about a failed manager.

stevoc

That’s just the PR talk by the club. He was fine with a DOF at Ajax, no real reason to reject one when the rest of our setup is incompetent and filled with people doing on the job trainings.
And I'm sure he is fine working with the current DOF Murtagh but that doesn't necessarily mean he wanted to work with Rangnick.

The rumour is the club wanted Ralf to advise on recruitment, and in their first conversation allegedly it became clear to Erik pretty quickly that Ralf was advising the club to steer completely clear of Eredivisie players which obviously wouldn't have worked for ETH.

ash_86

I don' think he was against DoF, since we ourself have one. Ralf was going to be just a consultant anyway and current Management team was the one who decided to offer him that role. Moment ETH comes in this gets scrapped. A variety of reasons may include, Ralf calling out everybody at the club as well as ETH not bothered whether Ralf stays or goes.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
But a comment everytime Rangnicks new team under- or overperforms doesnt really add anything to that understanding. Its simply noise about a failed manager.
That's true. But generally speaking, it should be in your interest to learn as much as possible about all these disastrous spells of all those failed coaches/managers.

tomaldinho1

Most likely the report hasn’t got the figures right. United always overpay, I think Ole ended up about £9m a year, but it does seem disproportionate for a part time job even by our standards.

Skills

Snitch
And I'm sure he is fine working with the current DOF Murtagh but that doesn't necessarily mean he wanted to work with Rangnick.

The rumour is the club wanted Ralf to advise on recruitment, and in their first conversation allegedly it became clear to Erik pretty quickly that Ralf was advising the club to steer completely clear of Eredivisie players which obviously wouldn't have worked for ETH.
Well it seems like the club backed ETH on this big time. We'll see how this gamble works out in 2 years time

sugar_kane

It's a complete shambles but getting rid of Rangnick was the right call. His brand in relation to Man United was tainted through his managerial stint, and would have served to undermine Ten Hag's job in the players eyes.

Not saying they would be right, but it's easy to see that they'd question who was really in charge, thinking that Rangnick (who by this point they all disliked) still had influence over them. They needed to see Ten Hag as the absolute authority to buy into him, not as someone who getting his advice from Rangnick.

I'm not saying for certain that's why the club got rid, maybe they had just had their egos hurt by Ralf calling out the amateurish way we had been run as a club, but whatever their motives they still made the right decision.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
they have been playing well for the most parts but against much better opponents.
France haven't been playing well for a while, and Croatia and Denmark aren't powerhouses.

There aren't really worse teams in the Nations League Group A.

Lyng

That's true. But generally speaking, it should be in your interest to learn as much as possible about all these disastrous spells of all those failed coaches/managers.
Oh absolutely, but again that means we should study what happened during these spells and not what happens with these managers afterwards.

arthurka

France haven't been playing well for a while, and Croatia and Denmark aren't powerhouses.

You are joking right? France and Croatia are WC finalists from 2018 and Denmark are semi finalists from the last EC.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral

Croatia and Denmark have better players than Austria, beating powerhouses isn't the only way to prove you are good, competing against better teams is enough.
And France alternative XI is still better than Austria first XI.

Spain lost to Switzerland at home, they can't score for shit after having 70% possession, they aren't better than France or much better than Denmark or Croatia.
Portugal needed play-offs to qualify for the World Cup, Italy couldn't even beat Macedonia at home to qualify for the WC, and Germany and England lost to Hungary at home.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
So you think Austria is the same level as Croatia and Denmark????
Not sure where you got that from. I said the teams in Group A are not particularly worse than those. They are all decent teams.

So if we're giving Rangnick leeway to not get good results here, then we're saying he should just get relegated and Austria doesn't belong there.

What are the standards for the job?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Rangnick would lose week in week out and then spend his press conferences basically telling the world our players had herpes and they were all wankers. He was very toxic.

I think you could sympathise with him to a limited degree in the sense that he came into a team that was filled with bench players who had been lied to by the previous manager, and a bunch of first team players who put themselves through a lot (mostly injury-wise) with nothing to show for it in the end, but Rangnick kind of took that mess, and made it worse. Like @HTG says he basically just made money off of a very dysfunctional team in the end.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Wondered why this thread went quiet.
Before anyone says I am an RR fan boy, I am not, I value his ability upstairs in a club in terms of organizing structure, scouting & recruitment etc but I would like to point out Austria in the past 5 games have played Denmark and France twice and Croatia, all 3 of those teams are definitely better and Austria would expect to lose but they managed to draw against France - Not quite sure what people were expecting