Ralf Rangnick | Austria manager

Lyng

Not sure where you got that from. I said the teams in Group A are not particularly worse than those. They are all decent teams.

So if we're giving Rangnick leeway to not get good results here, then we're saying he should just get relegated and Austria doesn't belong there.

What are the standards for the job?
If you look at Austria and how the play now compared to before, they have clear patterns of play and they where at times giving the other teams in the group a lot of difficulty. It wouldnt have been unfair if they had won against Croatia last night, for example.
It was always going to be an almost impossible task for them to qualify out of this group. France are, even at their worst, a fantastic team and this is probably the best Denmark team since the 80's.
The Nations league results are far more embarrasing for the likes of Germany, England and Spain than Austria.

mu4c_20le

Not sure where you got that from. I said the teams in Group A are not particularly worse than those. They are all decent teams.

So if we're giving Rangnick leeway to not get good results here, then we're saying he should just get relegated and Austria doesn't belong there.

What are the standards for the job?
Can't really judge him until a couple of transfer windows and he has his own team. Never mind that they are ranked 33 and that Hungary, who are ranked lower, managed to top their group ahead of Italy, Germany and England. He needs time to implement his style and then we'll see the real Ralf.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
If you look at Austria and how the play now compared to before, they have clear patterns of play and they where at times giving the other teams in the group a lot of difficulty.

It was always going to be an almost impossible task for them to qualify out of this group.
So it's good to institute clear patterns of play. Expect having those still makes it an almost impossible task to win against ostensibly better teams.

I just go back to the same question, what are the standards for the job?

Lyng

So it's good to institute clear patterns of play. Expect having those still makes it an almost impossible task to win against ostensibly better teams.

I just go back to the same question, what are the standards for the job?
I have no idea. Do you? I was not present at the meeting between the Austrian football association and RR.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Does the Austrian team need open heart surgery and maybe 10 new players?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I have no idea. Do you? I was not present at the meeting between the Austrian football association and RR.
I believe his point is that if RR is a good manager, surely you'd expect him to beat better teams - especially as most of the teams (barring Denmark) are going through a rough patch/ageing superstars.

Now, I do prefer if the stats are presented with context, that the 5 games were against better sides, but if he is just beating weaker sides, losing to better sides, is he even a good manager, or just relying on individuals?

Blackwidow

Can't really judge him until a couple of transfer windows and he has his own team. Never mind that they are ranked 33 and that Hungary, who are ranked lower, managed to top their group ahead of Italy, Germany and England. He needs time to implement his style and then we'll see the real Ralf.
Hungary somehow plays its games like Union Berlin - who top the Bundesliga right now. Very compact in defense and with the necessary luck especially with set-pieces on top. Seems to be successful especially against good teams who all lack creativity and energy in this Nation League against Low Blocks.

Not comparable to a team that just has another way to play. Could be that the way Austria play is more successful against "lower" teams than Hungary is.

BarryWinks

I feel like every failed manager at our club always end up having an army of fanboys who choose them over the club somehow.

Might be borne out of hatred for our current state - even though this people call themselves fans - but it doesn't make it any less weird.

Real Name

This will be one of those threads which will be bumped every time Austria has a good or bad game. Which is silly and childish.

It didnt work for him at United and he made it more about himself and his messages to the board then about how we play but at Austria it seems he got hold of things and as it was said there's a clear pattern about how they play and they'd be silly to let him go over last few bad results.

Real Name

France haven't been playing well for a while, and Croatia and Denmark aren't powerhouses.

There aren't really worse teams in the Nations League Group A.
They're not what you call powerhouses (about 3, 4 teams in Europe are) but are certainly a 2nd string to those and are a lot better than Austria, especially Croatia.

Real Name

Sure, all those players would have come in the winter. :lol:

That guy is so full of shit.

Of all those players maybe just Morata would have been a realistic target.

Luis Diaz. And not to mention Haaland. :lol:

Last edited:

romufc

I bet you alot of our fans would believe it. Rangnick wanted all these players and the board said no.

Firstly, any fan that thinks we had any chance of signing Haaland, Diaz in January must be deluded. Vlahovic was staying in Italy and Gvardiol is a CB that would have cost 100m.

I thought he finds gems, all these players mentioned would have a 80m plus price tag.

Why would a club trust someone to spend 80m and they are a interim coach? He couldn't even get the players we had to buy into a system, yet some fans are creaming over Rangnick.

I am also sure, any of us could have told Manutd to buy Haaland, Vlahovic, Nkunku.

Kostov

Both Luis Diaz and Vlahovic moved in January, why is it so scandalous to think that we could have got them? We bought Bruno in January it's not that scandalous as you make it look like. Same with this January, if we are serious CL place contender we need 1-2 reinforcements in the winter. Everything else is an excuse.

Real Name

Both Luis Diaz and Vlahovic moved in January, why is it so scandalous to think that we could have got them? We bought Bruno in January it's not that scandalous as you make it look like. Same with this January, if we are serious CL place contender we need 1-2 reinforcements in the winter. Everything else is an excuse.
The fact they moved in Janaury doesnt mean they'd come to United. Also he could have numbered 10 more players fans would lap that up too.
When we were buying Bruno they werent any other takers.

Kostov

The fact they moved in Janaury doesnt mean they'd come to United. Also he could have numbered 10 more players fans would lap that up too.
The fact that the club didn't even try is the issue, and that when we had obvious need of quality up front. Vlahovic and Diaz are two of the more realistic ones, we still lack a striker for example.

Real Name

The fact that the club didn't even try is the issue, and that when we had obvious need of quality up front. Vlahovic and Diaz are two of the more realistic ones, we still lack a striker for example.
How are those realistic. You really think given the choice us or Liverpool Luis Diaz would have come for instance?
I wont even go to Haaland teritory. If he didnt mention him I might take that as serious maybe.
I stand by my point he's full of shit.
We do need a striker but January might be tricky, we might, should get a stop gap solution in any case and move for a permanent striker in the summer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fabrizio Romano quite clearly stated that Vlahovic only wanted Juventus.

Luis Diaz is a right footed left winger and our need was to sign a right sided player who was preferably left footed to provide balance. It didn't make sense for us to sign Diaz.

And the rest of the names he mentions are laughable and it would've been a new low for the club if they had decided to sign some of those players without a permanent head coach in place and without the input of recruitment heads who were going to be replaced before the summer transfer window.

I like Gvardiol but it would've been a extremely bad move to sign him for the 90m RB Leipzig were reportedly demanding for him in January and then missing out on Martinez from Ajax for considerably less.

Robbie Boy

To think we had a whole fecking season of Ole and Ralf!

*violently pukes*

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

Not saying he was fully to blame for it because he clearly wasn't but the 6 months Rangnick was manager is probably the lowest period of supporting Utd in my lifetime.

Horrible results and even worse performances. Absolutely miserable.

Sylar

That's not contradictory look at the dates he said "we and the board" spoke in January and the 2nd tweet is from December.
There's context. Second tweet was end of December so he wasn't going into December with plans to buy.
He might have had thoughts on players for united to get but in may he's saying he and the board decided not to sign any players

In May he said we and the board. Not that the board had other ideas or wanted to wait until summer or when they had a permanent manager.

Rangnick is obviously trying to downplay his failure at us and put it on other circumstances. It would have been idiotic of united to buy a player for rangnick knowing he was not going to be manager past the end of the season

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The actions within the operation of open heart surgery mission inside of his vision doesnt work well for Australia so far.

philnguyen1994

Not saying he was fully to blame for it because he clearly wasn't but the 6 months Rangnick was manager is probably the lowest period of supporting Utd in my lifetime.

37% win percentage, statistically the worst record since Frank O'Farrell back in 1971. For Man Utd fans under 60 that actually enjoy seeing us win, it was probably the worst they've seen in their lifetimes, so you're not alone.

Some people loved the press conferences and all the 'exposing the players' though, didn't they? Maybe that's why he continues 'exposing' us even now.

How comes he wasn't made to sign an NDA after leaving? Thought it would have been standard procedure. Don't seem to remember Mourinho, Van Gaal or Moyes talk this much about us immediately after leaving. Ole, in particular, seems to have vanished and haven't said a word since that weird post-sacking interview.

Real Name

Its just him again trying to portray himself in the best life and not taking any responsibility for our awful performances under his tutelage.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Whenever I see his name bumped up some very unpleasant memories start to rush in.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s easy to say we’d have got Haaland (we wouldn’t have) had we been open to transfers in January, and we definitely needed them, but there’s no way we go and spend what we did in the summer if we’d spent in January. I think it all worked out ok.

Robbie Boy

We still finished in 6th, which earned us a spot in this Europa League. Moyes got us 7th, which was even worse.
Yes, Moyes was also fecking atrocious. Finishing 6th after a 3rd and a 2nd place finish was absolutely laughable. There are literally zero positives from last season, it was an utter shit-show.

Lyng

Yes, Moyes was also fecking atrocious. Finishing 6th after a 3rd and a 2nd place finish was absolutely laughable. There are literally zero positives from last season, it was an utter shit-show.
I think the situations where different. The main issue for me with last season was how terrible the culture at the club became last season. After seing how fast Ten Hag has turned that around I lay pretty much all that blame on Rangnick and a few of the players now (those players are either not here anymore or stuck on the bench)
Moyes didnt leave the club with a terrible dressing room and culture, but was simply a useless manager.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hopefully we'll all be able to forget about this period.

phelans shorts

Can we not just stop listening to whatever this blagger decides to put out next week. He’ll say anything to absolve himself of the blame because that’s what he did when he was here too, he’s not worth taking seriously at all.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Yeah. Since SAF left the worst time I’ve had as a fan was the Ralf stint. Moyes was bad but Ralf took it to another level

Robbie Boy

I think the situations where different. The main issue for me with last season was how terrible the culture at the club became last season. After seing how fast Ten Hag has turned that around I lay pretty much all that blame on Rangnick and a few of the players now (those players are either not here anymore or stuck on the bench)
Moyes didnt leave the club with a terrible dressing room and culture, but was simply a useless manager.
Agreed.