Ralf Rangnick | Austria manager

Scottynaldinho

Carrick, in 3 or 4 games, looked more tactically astute than Rangnick did in his 6 months here.

Although he might have been a decent coach once, it was obvious he was struggling with the role at this point in his career where he had already made the switch. Part of the problem were Glazers as he didn't know what his real role was as he was supposed to appoint his successor.

Revaulx

The flack Ralf is taking ever since he left is fecking bizarre. He was here for a few months, was respectful, left, we got ETH.

You'd swear he came in and destroyed the team.

Leave the man alone ffs.
Don’t worry. It’s likely that the same thing will happen to ETH in due course.

OmarUnited4ever

RR came to us with a good/decent reputation, and he of course tried to help steer the ship, but at the end of the day, he failed to get the team behind him and was clueless in many games in the PL/CL, his brief time here, although not good, does not make him a bad coach, but he wasn't that great of coach before we hired him, and he was in and out of coaching since Sept 2011.

bringbackbebe

Carrick, in 3 or 4 games, looked more tactically astute than Rangnick did in his 6 months here.

Although he might have been a decent coach once, it was obvious he was struggling with the role at this point in his career where he had already made the switch. Part of the problem were Glazers as he didn't know what his real role was as he was supposed to appoint his successor.
Agree. It's all hindsight woulda coulda shoulda, but perhaps Carrick as an interim would have made sense. I think fan fury was so much on Ole that it seeped into the coaching staff as well (Phelen, Carrick, McKenna). This made it impossible for him to take up that role in the long run since the mass had already decided he was crap along with the rest. Did well in those 3 games.

sugar_kane

It's still not apples to apples as the players knew Rangnick was gone at the end of the season so had no real reason to play for him. Nobody knew with Ole.
It's as apples to apples as you can get, Ole was interim from December and Ralf was interim from November. There was absolutely no suggestion from the club that Ole was permanent, the club went out of their way to refer to him constantly as 'interim manager'.

I'm not suggesting Ole is a better coach, he was a different style manager entirely - but overall he did a far better job taking on a team in crisis and getting them to play better, even if from his end that was mainly down to man management rather than hands on coaching skills (which were left to Carrick & McKenna).

RopersReturn

By the time he arrived Ed Woodward had already assumed the role of de facto dof, so was probably a bit confused with the setup after initially being offered an advisory role, rather than first team coach. Amidst the chaos he did successfully manage to highlight the failings of the team in his report towards the end though.

devips

Rangnick's tenure was the darkest period in the history of Manchester United.

LARulz

He may not have been a great manager for us but I always liked his forthright press conferences. Sometimes the truth did need to be said publicly

Also unless the team is a winning machine or packed with winners (not just one, admittedly a great) it's hard for a manager who is known to only have a few months managing to have influence I think

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He may not have been a great manager for us but I always liked his forthright press conferences. Sometimes the truth did need to be said publicly

Also unless the team is a winning machine or packed with winners (not just one, admittedly a great) it's hard for a manager who is known to only have a few months managing to have influence I think
You or I could have done a better job. He's a loser and was a terrible appointment.

stevoc

By the time he arrived Ed Woodward had already assumed the role of de facto dof, so was probably a bit confused with the setup after initially being offered an advisory role, rather than first team coach. Amidst the chaos he did successfully manage to highlight the failings of the team in his report towards the end though.
There was no report.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
You or I could have done a better job. He's a loser and was a terrible appointment.
Pep, Klopp or even ETH as interims probably couldn't of done a better job. The club was rotten from within and an interim was never going to be respected. Especially when the 3 mentioned managers are probably 3 of the most demanding managers in the game. Our squad wasn't prepared to fight and it took getting rid of players like Pogba and Lingard and for ETH to bring in his own players before things began to change.

Of course Pep, Klopp and ETH are leagues above Rangnick as managers but tearing into Rangnick for his 6 months spell when everything was against him just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Ole was doing a worse job that very same season and whilst I think Ole’s a bit crap, he’s clearly a million miles better than TwoSheds or anyone on redcafe for that matter.

I also think you’d have been very unlikely to take Leipzig to 3rd in 2019.

TwoSheds

Pep, Klopp or even ETH as interims probably couldn't of done a better job. The club was rotten from within and an interim was never going to be respected. Especially when the 3 mentioned managers are probably 3 of the most demanding managers in the game. Our squad wasn't prepared to fight and it took getting rid of players like Pogba and Lingard and for ETH to bring in his own players before things began to change.

Of course Pep, Klopp and ETH are leagues above Rangnick as managers but tearing into Rangnick for his 6 months spell when everything was against him just doesn't make a lot of sense.
:lol: we literally had an interim the very same season who did a better job! One with basically no experience. ETH struggled for like 4 games and then made us a top 4 team. Ok he spent money but the idea that a manager can't turn things around, Woe is Ralf, risible.

TwoSheds

Ole was doing a worse job that very same season and whilst I think Ole’s a bit crap, he’s clearly a million miles better than TwoSheds or anyone on redcafe for that matter.

I also think you’d have been very unlikely to take Leipzig to 3rd in 2019.
Yeah, Ole's season was catastrophic because suddenly the players all became useless and none of that could have been improved by good coaching and better tactics. Ole was burnt out at the end and no he wasn't good enough but he's still better than Rangnick who did feck all but make things worse. He was like Van Gaal with none of the talent or charisma.

Yeah, Ole's season was catastrophic because suddenly the players all became useless and none of that could have been improved by good coaching and better tactics.
Judging on how the first two games this season went with most of that squad from last year., I’m not completely convinced I agree.
The club shelled out 140m or so after those two matches so safe to say they nor ETH didn’t either.
That’s without even getting into the now clear massive Ronaldo issues with him thinking he was still too good to follow instructions.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
:lol: we literally had an interim the very same season who did a better job! One with basically no experience. ETH struggled for like 4 games and then made us a top 4 team. Ok he spent money but the idea that a manager can't turn things around, Woe is Ralf, risible.
Of course managers can turn things round providing the tools they need to succeed are given to them. As I've already stated ETH is leagues above Rangnick but if you can't see the advantages he had to get those things turned round then I can't help you.

Rangnick was the wrong fit for United. Its as simple as that. Calling him a loser after what he's achieved in the game (as a DOF) is just plain ignorance. Some of the best managers in the game have widely praised him which must count for something. Unless its agenda driven then it doesn't matter what anyone says.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I’ll defend the man to the hilt. The squad was toxic and had mentally been defeated. Rangnick didn’t do very much, but people expecting him to work miracles with the squad in the shape they were in were clearly expecting far too much.

The man called a spade a spade publicly and highlighted to us even more what a terribly run club we are higher up.

It was a bad appointment simply because we didn’t have the players for his style of play. Trying to get them to geggenpress mid-season was never going to work. Don’t blame him for taking the job if the acceptance was to go upstairs long term.

TwoSheds

I’ll defend the man to the hilt. The squad was toxic and had mentally been defeated. Rangnick didn’t do very much, but people expecting him to work miracles with the squad in the shape they were in were clearly expecting far too much.

The man called a spade a spade publicly and highlighted to us even more what a terribly run club we are higher up.

It was a bad appointment simply because we didn’t have the players for his style of play. Trying to get them to geggenpress mid-season was never going to work. Don’t blame him for taking the job if the acceptance was to go upstairs long term.
Nobody expected him to work miracles. I just expected him to try. He gave up after like 3 games and then spent months basically just slagging off the players. Genius squad management. And Marcel Sabitzer was going to fix it all if I remember rightly.

Sylar

I keep seeing people mentioning the players he recommended for us to buy. But it's kinda useless given I've seen who Ole wanted before they went for big money (haaland, Bellingham, grealish, caicedo...)

Even if he was here recommending the likes of Alvarez etc, it wouldn't matter given they probably still wouldn't get purchased. Or If they were, probably sent out on loans rather than given a chance over the big signings who aren't hitting the ground running

Bwuk

He's been right in everything he said about our squad.

It didn't work out but we needed someone like him to help the rebuild.

I'm not convinced we are progressing with it at all.

If we look at who we've signed under EtH

Malacia - looks an ok squad player. Can't see him ever kicking on to be a starter though.
Martinez - superb.
Casemiro - superb but our over-reliance on him won't end well. I bet he ends up in Saudi next year.
Eriksen - good on a free. Should never have been a guaranteed starter with his age/fitness issues.
Antony - looking more and more like we've got this one wrong entirely. Very expensive as well.
Weghorst - less said the better.
Sabitzer - somehow managed to have even less of a impact than Weghorst.
Onana - looks good. Early days though.
Mount - doesn't solve our midfield issues at all, and is a poor partner to Bruno/Casemiro. He's a good player but the wrong player.
Hojlund - Looks good from clips, but it's a lot of money and expectations for a 20 yr old in a team who can't score goals.

Other than Martinez and Casemiro none of the rest have been all that, or are still early days. Casemiro was world class when we signed him too, it wasn't a surprise.