Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

We're getting the band back together
Not the worst idea -- he has to re-build so much within the Club with a small team and so little time.

At some point, Rangnick won't be able to see the forest for the trees. He will need a set of objective, fresh eyes to ensure that he keeps within his original vision or be his devil's advocate during the transformational process. This shows Rangnick's experience and self-assurance.

sglowrider

Interesting quotes:

Groß employed Rangnick as well because he felt he was the perfect man to deploy his philosophy. Groß’s vision was to have a uniform playing style for all the club’s youths and he was successful.
Rangnick left his role at Stuttgart after the successful philosophies weren’t employed with the senior team, but his work at the club would be carried on throughout his career.
The Stuttgart school, Groß’s brainchild, not only improved Stuttgart, but Germany overall. “It can be compared with Ajax school,” Thomas Tuchel once said. “When Ralf Rangnick and Helmut Groß installed a new game system in Stuttgart at the end of the eighties and early 1990s, it was a model for the entire region. I was inspired.”
a part of the developments or picking up new tactical information is just a part of the process. An important part of being a successful coach is social competence: dealing with personalities, creating an environment that allows athletes to be at their best on a consistent basis and trying to build better relationships with people around them. Additionally, coaches need space to put their thoughts into practice – too many cooks do indeed spoil the broth.
The Red Bull example is perfect: yes, they had plenty of money to become the football giant they are now, but prior to Rangnick’s (and Groß’s) arrival, both Salzburg and Leipzig were struggling. Salzburg had the trophies but no clear long-term vision while their academy was struggling; Leipzig had the money and resources but were finding it difficult to get past the Bundesliga because their resources were invested in older, ageing players and their playing style had no clear patterns.
Rangnick’s arrival and subsequent appointment of coaches like Schmidt, Adi Hütter, Ralph Hasenhüttl and Julian Nagelsmann changed that

Last edited:

Blood Mage

Gross is the type of guy you bring in to completely restructure a football club at grass roots level, so this is potentially exciting news. At 75 years old I wonder if he has the stamina for such a mammoth task though?

OmarUnited4ever

Nevertheless, whether one is adept at teaching or not, the individual has to show that they are at least intimately familiar with the complexities of the thing which they do. It is one thing to suppose that Ole lacked the communicative aspects in which to translate his 'vision' across, but what do we do with his infamous sound-byte in which he, in a rather reductionistic fashion, bemoaned the notion of coaches emphasising 'intricacies', and 'overarching philosophies'? It was near ridicule. We have it on his own words, immortalised on video, that he simply does not believe football to be more complex at the elite level than, and I quote, "passion", "that desire to get on the end of the cross", "the desire to win the ball", and "football is a simple game."

It's quite clear even if Ole does lack teaching, coaching, and mentoring skill, it doesn't account for his severely out-dated, and quite frankly, out-of-touch criticisms of the modern elite game in the first instance.
You aren't wrong here,

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Gross is the type of guy you bring in to completely restructure a football club at grass roots level, so this is potentially exciting news. At 75 years old I wonder if his methods are as effective as they were though?
I see what you are saying but being old doesn't mean that you use old methods.

sglowrider

Gross is the type of guy you bring in to completely restructure a football club at grass roots level, so this is potentially exciting news. At 75 years old I wonder if he has the stamina for such a mammoth task though?
He won't be wasteful with his energy for sure.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I don't think he will do very much actual work. Sounds more like Rangnick wants a trusted advisor to double check on the measures he wants to take.

sglowrider

It shows that Rangnick's role is transformational within United. It's a big, big project.

Let's see if the BOM has the stomach for such major changes. It will take more than 2 years but if successfully implemented will provide sustainable success, up & down the club from the U8s to the 1st team -- regardless of managers. This may actually become the United DNA circa 2025.

Its a legacy project for Rangnick.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You mean you don't prefer it when the manager says that he's not into tactics and that football is all about passion, effort and wanting it more? :confused:
I simply can't believe how our board and part of fans were so blind last few years.
Isn't it refreshing to have proper manager on the bench? To have a manager who has a plan and knowledge?
In last 7 days we heard more about tactics than in last 3 years. Bloody hell, how we managed to waste 3 years in nothing....mind blowing

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I simply can't believe how our board and part of fans were so blind last few years.
Isn't it refreshing to have proper manager on the bench? To have a manager who has a plan and knowledge?
In last 7 days we heard more about tactics than in last 3 years. Bloody hell, how we managed to waste 6 years in nothing....mind blowing
Fixed

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If we're being really honest, we've wasted basically every season since the big man retired :lol: touch wood, but it does look like we're making steps in the right direction, even at board level.

sglowrider

If we're being really honest, we've wasted basically every season since the big man retired :lol: touch wood, but it does look like we're making steps in the right direction, even at board level.
Only goes to show, top management ain't easy. Big decisions and no slam dunk results.
We are all 20/20 hindsight experts here.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah that's true.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Only goes to show, top management ain't easy. Big decisions and no slam dunk results.
We are all 20/20 hindsight experts here.
Ha, yeah good point! A lot of decisions I've thought were good over the years have turned out to be dreadful.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Nevertheless, whether one is adept at teaching or not, the individual has to show that they are at least intimately familiar with the complexities of the thing which they do. It is one thing to suppose that Ole lacked the communicative aspects in which to translate his 'vision' across, but what do we do with his infamous sound-byte in which he, in a rather reductionistic fashion, bemoaned the notion of coaches emphasising 'intricacies', and 'overarching philosophies'? It was near ridicule. We have it on his own words, immortalised on video, that he simply does not believe football to be more complex at the elite level than, and I quote, "passion", "that desire to get on the end of the cross", "the desire to win the ball", and "football is a simple game."

It's quite clear even if Ole does lack teaching, coaching, and mentoring skill, it doesn't account for his severely out-dated, and quite frankly, out-of-touch criticisms of the modern elite game in the first instance.
Just read those quotes for the first time. Would've sacked him on the spot. No wonder United looked so disjointed under him.

RUCK4444

I suppose it's about having the right people beneath Gross that can implement the vision and take it forwards, I take it as a positive if Ralf is trying to ensure the footballing identity is being pushed and instilled from youth level onwards.

This is shaping up to be a complete overhaul of the club from top to bottom, it's what I've hoped for now for a long time (with the view to a modern style of football.)

Zoo

We're getting the band back together
Bit of a nothing story. Article says that Gross is already living in England and won't be officially employed by the club. No surprise that the mufcmpb account is inaccurate once again

miked99

Barely kicked a ball under his regime yet, but I just love the way this guy is going about things. It's all so impressive and it smacks of someone who has complete assurance in what they're doing and what the end goal is.

Might not see massive change in fortunes in his interim period, as you can't change everything overnight. Espeically implementing a pressing style, that needs a pre-season. But I feel like everything he's doing is for the greater good.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
He'll make sure a couple of kids from the academy will be regulars in the first team next season.

He's given more opportunities to kids in his first 3 games than ole did in 3 years!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Wish we had hired this guy after Moyes or even LVG. We would be one of the best teams in Europe now. See what Klopp did in 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.