Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

git_united

Like what I’m seeing in terms of structure. Let’s see if he can get us ticking in the final third. Said this in Dalot’s performance thread: I wonder whether Ralf’s told Telles and Dalot not to overlap. There was that one time Telles was offside in the West Ham game but other than that they just don’t seem to overlap much and I think we lose a lot without those runs.

Meanwhile I think 3rd place is up for grabs as well. I think Chelsea will continue to bottle it. That would be quite the achievement if Rangnick can guide us there.

Reactions: Cheimoon

VanHaal'sRedArmy

I’m not sure they’re incorrigibly selfish.

Maybe it’s the way Ole encouraged them to play. Ingrained habits die hard; it might take some time to eradicate.
Ole encouraged them to shoot anytime they were around the box.
Ralf expressly stated postmatch he wanted to see the players work their way for a shot with a higher conversion rate.

AneRu

Said it earlier and will say it again, I haven't been more certain of a manager since Fergie. LVG had me fooled for a bit but this one is so clear to the eye test that I find it unbelievable that people are complaining.

I have a bit of time this weekend (quarantining thanks to fecking COVID), so I'll dig up some data. I am almost 100% certain that stats like PPDA, Goal Kicks forced, Opposition attacks from build ups etc. would all be significantly better than any time in the past 4-5 years.

The attack isn't quite clicking but it'll come.
I think it's more to do with our mix of forwards rather than it not clicking, Sancho, Martial or Diallo are needed but the former is struggling for confidence in a new league and Martial had lost his head whilst Diallo is still too weak. If we get Sancho or Martial firing we will create a lot more in my opinion because at their best they enjoy linking up others and have the skill to carry the ball forward and do something individually.

Revaulx

Ralf expressly stated postmatch he wanted to see the players work their way for a shot with a higher conversion rate.
Well there you go!

I just get a bit fed up with generalisations about the players. The most recent one has been that they are lazy. There’s no doubt they haven’t been working hard enough, but they’ve been allowed to get away with that since Jose. Ole called them out for it but seemingly wasn’t able to do anything about it.

Now we have a manager to whom hard work is key, and has already upped the workrate after a few weeks. Nobody could accuse the players today of being lazy.

Said it earlier and will say it again, I haven't been more certain of a manager since Fergie. LVG had me fooled for a bit but this one is so clear to the eye test that I find it unbelievable that people are complaining.

I have a bit of time this weekend (quarantining thanks to fecking COVID), so I'll dig up some data. I am almost 100% certain that stats like PPDA, Goal Kicks forced, Opposition attacks from build ups etc. would all be significantly better than any time in the past 4-5 years.

The attack isn't quite clicking but it'll come.
Interested in this post when you make it, mate!

copen1945

I wish the board would back Ralf during the winter transfer window. Give him the players he has requested. The third spot and trophies aren't impossible.

Greck

Absolutely loving RR's injecting common sense into the club. The short passing hasn't clicked but it will come if we continue working on it. The brainless shoot on sight thing has been killing us. When we'd come up against low blocks with little room to shoot we'd look clueless because that was all we knew. Even midtable teams don't do this anymore. It has even hampered youngsters like Greenwood who now plays like a narrow minded gunner.

RedCurry

Early days but I noticed that we have all but ceased the “pass of death” that we used to play under both Ole and Mourinho where we would constantly try to bend that ball behind the opposition defenders for the ball to only bounce harmlessly out of play. That was my biggest pet peeve.

united for life

One of the good things about him is that he is not the stubborn type of manager who wants to prove he is right. He tried his 4222 and it didn’t work out (probably as we don’t have the players to execute it. For me because it’s a shite set up anyway). He switched a couple of formations and now went with 433 which I feel is suiting us. But still, we need to improve in certain aspects.

1- the wide strikers, especially greenwood almost have no connection with the full backs. I understand them dropping inside more often than a 4231 but still, they should connect with the full backs.
2- continuing on point 1, creating play through triangles in the wider areas (between a fullback, wide striker and a CM) needs to be looked at. We do not do this, not sure why. There was a moment in today’s game when it happened and it created a crossing chance for dalot.
3- we desperately need pogba now. Fred is ok and has been playing well in the last couple of weeks but he is nowhere near what we need for this position. He is making bruno work twice what he needs to in order to cover the midfield and create play. I would say VDB should start but we all know this isn’t happening.
4- scot to play deep and stay deep. I sometimes feel he is playing box to box. Against tough opposition, they’ll absolutely hammer us if he is out of position.

still work in progress, but i see progress. I doubted him early on but i have to admit, he’s onto something here

stevoc

I'm happy we have a coach that can finally adapt himself around the set of players we have without compromising himself, instead of trying to force something that clearly doesn't work.
Wish he had of adapted himself 3-4 games sooner though, we might have got a few more points from the Newcastle and Wolves games.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
One of the good things about him is that he is not the stubborn type of manager who wants to prove he is right. He tried his 4222 and it didn’t work out (probably as we don’t have the players to execute it. For me because it’s a shite set up anyway). He switched a couple of formations and now went with 433 which I feel is suiting us. But still, we need to improve in certain aspects.

1- the wide strikers, especially greenwood almost have no connection with the full backs. I understand them dropping inside more often than a 4231 but still, they should connect with the full backs.
2- continuing on point 1, creating play through triangles in the wider areas (between a fullback, wide striker and a CM) needs to be looked at. We do not do this, not sure why. There was a moment in today’s game when it happened and it created a crossing chance for dalot.
3- we desperately need pogba now. Fred is ok and has been playing well in the last couple of weeks but he is nowhere near what we need for this position. He is making bruno work twice what he needs to in order to cover the midfield and create play. I would say VDB should start but we all know this isn’t happening.
4- scot to play deep and stay deep. I sometimes feel he is playing box to box. Against tough opposition, they’ll absolutely hammer us if he is out of position.

still work in progress, but i see progress. I doubted him early on but i have to admit, he’s onto something here
Pretty sure we need Fred for his energy.

He’s perfect for Rangnick.

Pogba is too ill disciplined even if he would help with creativity.

Greck

Pogba won a world cup playing a disciplined role. It may be too late at United but it would have been nice to see him under a manager who played defined tactical possession rather than having them go out and figure it out. He's playing fifa street out there.

united for life

as much as i like the hard working fred, this mentality of playing him since he is hard working will take us nowhere. Probably paul will leave in the summer, but still we need someone to fill that position. Fred isn’t the one

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
So I think this is correct

Ralf's first 10 games: 6 Wins, 3 Draws, 1 Defeat. 14 goals scored, 6 conceded
Ole's last 10 games: 3 Wins, 2 Draws, 5 Defeats. 14 goals scored, 22 conceded

We also had a stupid record like 1 clean sheet in 24 games or something similar. We have 4 in 10 now.
It's an irrelevant and pointless stat. If anything you ought to be comparing both coaches' first 10 matches.

Greck

It's an irrelevant and pointless stat. If anything you ought to be comparing both coaches' first 10 matches.
how does it make more sense to compare manager performances with squads that are 3 years apart?

This is even a team Ole built, if he wasnt such a mediocre manager the stat should even be in his favour. It's his team after all.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
how does it make more sense to compare manager performances with squads that are 3 years apart?

This is even a team Ole built, if he wasnt such a mediocre manager the stat should even be in his favour. It's his team after all.
Or compare Ole's first 10 matches using Jose's squad?

thebelfastboy

I wish the board would back Ralf during the winter transfer window. Give him the players he has requested. The third spot and trophies aren't impossible.
They absolutely have to. Let him get a central midfielder in of his choice and I think we will comfortably make top 4. Without any addition in there I'm just not sure we've got enough...

AshRK

I was critical of him after the Villa game but we seem to have a plan. The best part is there is less drama around. Situation wasn't ideal but the way he handles everything in the press seem welcoming. And there is no sugarcoating either. He doesn't mind mending relationships aka martial. He doesn't mind dropping or subbing big names aka maguire and ronaldo. I feel the two week break could be good and he can get more time training the players for the first time since he came in. He will also have Pogba back so that will be a big bonus. I won't be surprised if we don't see anyone going, maybe just Lingard. The more organized we look the more we have chance to go far in CL.

Ladron de redcafe

ole was on fire in his early days! If only it lasted…
He was the right man at the right time at that moment in time, fixing the dressing room when morale was at its lowest. Unfortunately, as soon as the new manager bounce dissipated, it became obvious there were concerns about his coaching pedigree his managerial abilities.

Lee565

I don't want him long term even if we get 3rd place but there is a lit to admire about him as time goes on, so many manager act stubborn the way they play but he has not allowed ego or stubbornness get in the way of changing formation for the better of the team and not acting loyal to any specific player just for the sake of it.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I like him, very pragmatic and he clearly knows his stuff. Sincerely hope it works out !

Giggsy13

Give this man a midfield signing! The fact he can get a measure of control in these games with the lack of midfield options is impressive. Kessie, Haidara whoever it might be, bring them in.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So I think this is correct

Ralf's first 10 games: 6 Wins, 3 Draws, 1 Defeat. 14 goals scored, 6 conceded
Ole's last 10 games: 3 Wins, 2 Draws, 5 Defeats. 14 goals scored, 22 conceded

We also had a stupid record like 1 clean sheet in 24 games or something similar. We have 4 in 10 now.
And people were saying there hasn’t been any new manager bounce…

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Will say it again.
The best appointment since Fergie.

He has taken a dysfunctional squad and made a team that is fighting for each other.
We just saw the result.
Even if it had finished a draw, this the best we had played.
There were minor mistakes, but we controlled the match.

Everyone was smiling.
And Ralf went nuts.
Wish they showed what Fergie and Law did when that goal was scored.

We are back.

But we desperately need that DM signing.

Top 3 and the two cups are real targets.

Bwuk

Needs to be given time and faith.

It’s clear the squad have major issues. Ragnicks job is to get is prepared for being successful under the next manager.

Fitchett

I'm pleased with him. He's made a good start, and I have confidence in his tactical knowledge and management. The changes haven't been a spectacular quick fix, but aiming to make the team better organised and disciplined, which will be sustainable in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.