g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It's because even after so many months he is still being used as an excuse for why we are so terrible. The cartoon level hate for him is so strong in some that I predict years from now if we lose a game some posters will try to blame it on him.
This is true for some posters. But let's not forget that Mourinho (his toxicity and his "bad apples") was also used as an excuse by several "Ole-inners" deep into Solskjaer's tenure here.

el3mel

Fans wanted LvG, fans wanted Mourinho, fans was happy when Ole got hired, fans also wanted Rangnick. Fans want ten Hag.
Ten Hag is literally the last hope at this point. He's the last type of manager we haven't hired it. We have tried the PL proven (Moyes), a possession based manager with ton of experience in building teams (LVG), a top class manager with track of winning (Mourinho), the ex-legend who brings good feelings around (Ole), and an interim manager known for high pressing (Ralf). Ten Hag is the only remaining type of managers we didn't hire it, the young manager who plays exciting football and installs a good system. If he fails too, we should just cancel the football part and turn Man United into a merchandise store.

jackal&hyde

He splashed 400m and built this godawful squad without achieving anything in return, so of course he shoulder blame.

I mean, Mourinho and LVG are still getting blamed for United misery years after they had already left.
He was blamed not just for the squad but for the so called bad coaching and many believed that with a decent manager this squad would compete, let alone be better. That was obviously wrong. All our managers got in rubbish players because we are run by muppets that don't have a football vision; but somehow it was only put on Ole that he should have competed for titles with this set of players. And as bad as our team is, we got our best results with Ole; a reality that is hard to take now when we see how much worse we are with the "better" coaching.

el3mel

He was blamed not just for the squad but for the so called bad coaching and many believed that with a decent manager this squad would compete, let alone be better. That was obviously wrong. All our managers got in rubbish players because we are run by muppets that don't have a football vision; but somehow it was only put on Ole that he should have competed for titles with this set of players. And as bad as our team is, we got our best results with Ole; a reality that is hard to take now when we see how much worse we are with the "better" coaching.
Nah, it just means Ralf is another awful coach. No matter how much you try, your beloved manager was awful and failed miserably after splashing 400m on this team you describe as "bad" and winning nothing in return, even if the next 10 managers we hire after him also failed. So tiresome.

And if anything, our best results post SAF actually came under Mourinho and not Ole.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Ten Hag is literally the last hope at this point. He's the last type of manager we haven't hired it. We have tried the PL proven (Moyes), a possession based manager with ton of experience in building teams (LVG), a top class manager with track of winning (Mourinho), the ex-legend who brings good feelings around (Ole), and an interim manager known for high pressing (Ralf). Ten Hag is the only remaining type of managers we didn't hire it, the young manager who plays exciting football and installs a good system. If he fails too, we should just cancel the football part and turn Man United into a merchandise store.
And if you don't see him being surrounded by experts who will work on every little detail in the football department in order to help him focus on implementing his ideas, get ready to be disappointed again. Just for the record, Liverpool nowadays have stats analysts in the stands with a panoramic view of all the movements on the pitch who feed live information to the assistants on the bench who, in turn, can give a detailed analysis to Klopp. This is what we're up against in the football world of 2022. If we are just waiting with our hands clasped in prayer for the messiah to deliver us, we might as well shut up shop and call it a day.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Bingo which is probably the most important trait for an interim manager coming in mid season looking to give a team a boost. Judging from the downward spiral of form and confidence of almost the entire squad during his time here his man management must be shocking. Ronaldo scored 15 in 18-19 games pre Ralf and 3 since Ralf took over in 20+ games.

It is funny that people thought him being blunt was a good thing. It screams to me that he just does not have enough quality in that sense.

I mean how many people actually work in real life and think yeah we would want that manager who kept telling in public that he had no idea what I do? And, he had no idea how to fix it himself either.
It’s the same difference between Villas Boas and Mourinho (back when Jose was still good)…. If you don’t have the personality to convince your players your clever tactics are worth running through brick walls for, then your ideas are pretty useless on their own.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
He has failed to put his stamp on the club and the side have zero identity, or desire. I had high hopes for Ralf and really thought we would see a positive impact. But the side just seem gormless now

Under Ole they came back from behind so many times at least it showed character but we just haven’t seen an ounce of that for Ralf….and that’s on him. It’s the managers job to get a tune from the players and he has failed

jackal&hyde

Saying we’d be too 4 with Ole is a joke surely, the guy was a dead man walking for weeks. I’m sure other managers could have done better than Rangnick but Ole is just ridiculous.

The reason the squad is so rotten is largely because of Ole, at least he’s gone and can start tackling issues he left behind, or attempting to at least. Ole was always presiding over a house of cards, so many saw it coming whilst others are still clinging to his top four finishes.
That I can not understand. We have absolutely nothing left after LVG or Mourinho in terms of players; most of them have been huge expensive mistakes that we either moved on under Ole or are still trying to. The few decent players we have now, the some what rejuvenated Fred, Sancho, Varane, Bruno and even our best goal scorer are all buys of the last 2 years.

After 2 managers that spend huge money and left us with toxic players and 6th and 7th places, it is still some how Ole's fault now, after he get's 3ed and 2ed and leaves us with our only good players at the club.

I really hate having to talk about former managers but the hate Ole has created in some posters minds just beggars belief. He was not good enough but by far our most consistent manager since 2013 and the only one that left with some players that we can actually build around.

jackal&hyde

Nah, it just means Ralf is another awful coach. No matter how much you try, your beloved manager was awful and failed miserably after splashing 400m on this team you describe as "bad" and winning nothing in return, even if the next 10 managers we hire after him also failed. So tiresome.

And if anything, our best results post SAF actually came under Mourinho and not Ole.
He is not a beloved manager by me, trust me. I wanted better. But he was not the worst we had and left us with better PL results and better players then our other managers. All were bad but Ole was the least bad.

Let's hope that the worst we do from next season is 3ed or 2ed because that is the reality of Ole's results in a season.

arthurka

This would have never happened under Ole
Just like the 4-1 vs the worst team in the league didn't happen.

You lot need a reminder that this manager wanted to play 4-2-2-2 but the squad didn't have the legs to do it. He is stuck with no mobile striker, shit midfield and a captain with no authority plus our wing play is non existent. This squad has taken Mourinho, Ole and now Ralf and stopped performing for them. Remember when Ole said nobody would out run or out work us how did that go. Never fielding the same team because we always seem to have 3-5 players injured. Stop giving these idiots contracts and get in young players who give a shit and have something to prove because this lot has no shits to give. The pattern is always the same here.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's because even after so many months he is still being used as an excuse for why we are so terrible. The cartoon level hate for him is so strong in some that I predict years from now if we lose a game some posters will try to blame it on him.
Under Ole we spent over 400m on this side and he had a say on each and every signing. Rangnick took a side who played a completely different style to his game, who was not properly fit for Rangnick standard, who was incredibly demoralised and with a number of players who had already checked out of the club.

I don't blame it solely on Ole. There are other people who allowed this to happen and who are still at the club. However Rangnick has near zero blame here. I blame it on those who gave their go ahead on this transfers (including Ole), who insisted on Ole despite clearly showing that he was out of depth, who allowed so many players to get disillusioned by the club, and who went for a manager mid way in the season whose style is completely different to that of the Norwegian which meant that the cultural and tactical shock made it almost impossible for us to succeed

Red_toad

Fans wanted LvG, fans wanted Mourinho, fans was happy when Ole got hired, fans also wanted Rangnick. Fans want ten Hag.
I certainly never wanted Ole more than a caretaker, thought LvG was a spent force, didn’t want Jose when we got him and didn’t want Moyes. Not sure how you can claim just because some fans wanted certain managers, all should take the blame for wanting the wrong appointments.

el3mel

He is not a beloved manager by me, trust me. I wanted better. But he was not the worst we had and left us with better PL results and better players then our other managers. All were bad but Ole was the least bad.

Let's hope that the worst we do from next season is 3ed or 2ed because that is the reality of Ole's results in a season.
No don't worry, 66 points won't get us 3rd again like Ole's first full season. Similar to how getting 71 points again won't make us finish 2nd any time soon.

And again, actually our best results post SAF came under Mourinho.

So yeah, just give up because your manager failed and left, regardless of what the next several managers after him do. Learn to move on.

jackal&hyde

Under Ole we spent over 400m on this side and he had a say on each and every signing. Rangnick took a side who played a completely different style to his game, who was not properly fit for Rangnick standard, who was incredibly demoralised and with a number of players who had already checked out of the club.

I don't blame it solely on Ole. There are other people who allowed this to happen and who are still at the club. However Rangnick has near zero blame here. I blame it on those who gave their go ahead on this transfers (including Ole), who insisted on Ole despite clearly showing that he was out of depth, who allowed so many players to get disillusioned by the club, and who went for a manager mid way in the season whose style is completely different to that of the Norwegian which meant that the cultural and tactical shock made it almost impossible for us to succeed
I agree with all of that. Good post.

Castia

He has failed to put his stamp on the club and the side have zero identity, or desire. I had high hopes for Ralf and really thought we would see a positive impact. But the side just seem gormless now

Under Ole they came back from behind so many times at least it showed character but we just haven’t seen an ounce of that for Ralf….and that’s on him. It’s the managers job to get a tune from the players and he has failed

He's guilty for picking players that don't want to be here or are leaving in the summer but it's obvious the players have checked out, Everton ran 10k more than us today our players we're walking around the pitch he's obviously not coaching that

Completely on the players when they won't even put in minimum effort

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Didnt want LvG but wouldnt mind him
Didn't want Jose
Didn't want Ole, wanted him only as intertim and that's all
Wanted Ralf as a higher up, not a manager

Ten Hag is the only manager I want. It's between him or Poch.

RedDevilRoshi

When the players are stepping onto the pitch with a “can’t be bothered attitude” then what can the manager do?

Effort and desire is the bare minimum you should expect from any team, let alone from a group of players that are representing one of the biggest clubs in the world and are looked upon as idols by our younger fanbase.

You shouldn’t even have to ask for it or be encouraged/coached to show it. It should be done automatically the second they step onto the pitch. If you can’t do that, then you shouldn’t wear the shirt.

That’s why I’m so desperate for the next manager to not just be backed in terms of bringing any new players that he wants to sign but fully backed to rid majority of these imposters that have shown for the last few years now that they aren’t fit to wear the shirt.

KwendaHuko

Because Ole was supposed to coach players he bought or players who came to the club while he was incharge.

If
- Maguire,AWB,Sancho,Tellers, DvB are uncoachable it's on him
- Cavani, Varane are sick notes it's on him

- Ronaldo doesn't offer anything much and need a second striker to perform it's on Ole

- James,Ighalo, are not good enough it's on him.

If he accepted contracts renewal of certain players it's on him because he was The full time manager on a long term project.

It's not a coincidence that "the main stay & the players who at least play "well".. are non Ole players (players who didn't come to United under his reign.

DDG
Shaw
Fred
Rashford (for when he played so good)
Greenwood
Pogba (when his head was here)
Martial (when he was playing well)

It's only Bruno who we can say has repaid him, but also him now, the jury is still out on his culpability in the current situation.

Now we have a squad of his bad sanctioned players + previous sanctioned players who are also playing very badly.

Ole Main Culpability is

1. He was supposed to sanction previous bad players to be shipped. (, Read Mourinho on Pogba, Martial etc). What did he do, he sanctioned their contracts to be prolonged. We have Mata,Matic,Perrerira,Lingard still on our books

2. He was supposed to bring progressive players. Players who take the club forward. What did he do, sign AWB, Maguire, Cavani, Sancho, Ronaldo.Telles, DVB

All this mess is squarely on him because he was financially backed on player signing and player renewal contracts.

All this proves one thing, Ole was the worst coach + manager because he was unable to coach players he bought and he was unable to manage his resources properly (playing team personnel & reward of his personnel)

Last edited:

Roboc7

That I can not understand. We have absolutely nothing left after LVG or Mourinho in terms of players; most of them have been huge expensive mistakes that we either moved on under Ole or are still trying to. The few decent players we have now, the some what rejuvenated Fred, Sancho, Varane, Bruno and even our best goal scorer are all buys of the last 2 years.

After 2 managers that spend huge money and left us with toxic players and 6th and 7th places, it is still some how Ole's fault now, after he get's 3ed and 2ed and leaves us with our only good players at the club.

I really hate having to talk about former managers but the hate Ole has created in some posters minds just beggars belief. He was not good enough but by far our most consistent manager since 2013 and the only one that left with some players that we can actually build around.
So far Varane is injury prone and Sancho has been a huge flop, Ole didn’t even know what to do with him, no idea what logic you are using there. Bruno is only signing Ole made that has been a real success. It’s just really odd you are trying to make out Ole has left good players behind, given the huge spend in wages and transfer fees under his management he can only be viewed as a disaster.

LVG and Jose failing doesn’t mean Ole was not a massive failure, people can argue all day about who was worst but all three can only be viewed as failures. Ole won nothing and left behind at least as big a mess as anyone, said when he left culture was worst it’s ever been because of his management and been proven correct.

Short term Rangnick has been a big failure, maybe behind the scenes he helps in some way but who knows.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Strong post

AshRK

Jesse Marsh with less time and inferior players is doing better but I am supposed to believe rangnick should not be blamed

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Jesse Marsh with less time and inferior players is doing better but I am supposed to believe rangnick should not be blamed
Is the situation really comparable though? ours is a broken squad lacking the will to play a game of football, let alone winning it. Most were here under Ole and even Jose. They have tried and it never worked out, now they stop trying and the other players follow them, it spreads. Theyre not even sure they will still be here next season so that demotivates them further. What Ralf, or even Carrick faced was a mess left by their predecessors. Good for Carrick to say feck it im not becoming the intertim. Saved him from a lot of headaches and potential backlash from fans.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

No don't worry, 66 points won't get us 3rd again like Ole's first full season. Similar to how getting 71 points again won't make us finish 2nd any time soon.

And again, actually our best results post SAF came under Mourinho.

So yeah, just give up because your manager failed and left, regardless of what the next several managers after him do. Learn to move on.
Mourinho got us a 2ed place and than much lower then that but also, some of our biggest financial mistakes were made by him and left the club at it's lowest imo; he fell out with the players he brought in even. If I could change just one thing it would be not getting Mou after LVG; all our building of possession play was thrown out the window and we went for the most expensive players in wages that we ever had...and then complained we didn't get more. My most embarrassing moment of supporting the club was when we won the EL and finished 6th or 7th :lol:

Thinking off all our past managers since SAF is depressing but thinking of the toxic one is almost quitting watching football worthy. How we got rid of Sanchez is a miracle.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I agree with all of that. Good post.
I love taking a pint with my United mates every Sunday. When Rangnick signed they told me that I should be happy about it as I always rated the man (mostly as a sporting director but oh well). I remember telling them that yes I was happy but we should brace ourselves to alot and alot of pain. That's because, in similar United fashion, we went for a manager whose complete opposite to what the previous manager had built his side upon. Ole's team was lazy and not very bright. It was built around soaking pressure only to hit on the break. These counters relied heavily on pace (Rashford, Greenwood and James) and the individual brilliance of guys like Ronaldo, Cavani and co. On top of that Ole had disillusioned half the squad by promising games to everyone something that was humanely not possible.

Instead of going for a manager who played a similar style who could stir the ship in a very delicate period filled with games we went for someone whose style is based on our weaknesses ie pressing, workrate and high energy. Most of Ole's coaching staff left which meant that Rangnick had no idea how toxic the dressing room was and the pitfalls awaiting him. Any fear factor he had went out of the window the moment the club decided not to back him in January and not to give him an official role within the United's structure after these few months are over.

Current United is filled with players who can't give a feck because they either know that they are leaving or they know that there's no chance in hell of United being able to sell them up. The manager is the typical example of a dead man walking. He hold no respect whatsoever. I blame Rangnick on one thing ie his reluctance to rely on kids. At least these players would give a feck (as Elanga did)

Fluctuation0161

Or, after 3 years of low level coaching it will take some time for players to pickup new techniques.

It's also apparent that the players have given up. They downed tools for Ole and now they're doing the same to their substitute teacher.

The club is a disorganised mess. No certainty, no structure, no clear future. No wonder the players have so much power.

el3mel

Mourinho got us a 2ed place and than much lower then that but also, some of our biggest financial mistakes were made by him and left the club at it's lowest imo; he fell out with the players he brought in even. If I could change just one thing it would be not getting Mou after LVG; all our building of possession play was thrown out the window and we went for the most expensive players in wages that we ever had...and then complained we didn't get more. My most embarrassing moment of supporting the club was when we won the EL and finished 6th or 7th :lol:

Thinking off all our past managers since SAF is depressing but thinking of the toxic one is almost quitting watching football worthy. How we got rid of Sanchez is a miracle.
Guess what, that's what Ole whom you're defending exactly did. Giving us the 80m Maguire, 50m AWB and past it Ronaldo, and leaving us getting embarrassed by relegating Watford 4-1 and bunch of other embarrassing results.

My most embarrassing moment of supporting the club was getting thrashed 5-0 at home to Liverpool with Liverpool fans chanting Ole's at the wheel and our fans leaving stadium at half time, definitely not winning a trophy (whom Ole failed to win in two tries as well).

Anyway, that was just a response to you saying your beloved manager, who splashed 400m and won nothing, give us the best results post SAF, while the one before him got more points in his two seasons he managed in and won 2 trophies, but hey, finishing 3rd with 66 was a remarkable achievement indeed.

Move on.

The_Midfielder

yeah 1 europa cup.. and the other europa cup Ole lost was by a goalkeepers kick..
Is that successful?

The_Midfielder

Guess what, that's what Ole whom you're defending exactly did. Giving us the 80m Maguire, 50m AWB and past it Ronaldo, and leaving us getting embarrassed by relegating Watford 4-1 and bunch of other embarrassing results.

My most embarrassing moment of supporting the club was getting thrashed 5-0 at home to Liverpool with Liverpool fans chanting Ole's at the wheel and our fans leaving stadium at half time, definitely not winning a trophy (whom Ole failed to win in two tries as well).

Anyway, that was just a response to you saying your beloved manager, who splashed 400m and won nothing, give us the best results post SAF, while the one before him got more points in his two seasons he managed in and won 2 trophies, but hey, finishing 3rd with 66 was a remarkable achievement indeed.

Move on.
Ronaldo situation was unavoidable. .. what would you have done if he joined City and scored at OT..

stevoc

It’s the same difference between Villas Boas and Mourinho (back when Jose was still good)…. If you don’t have the personality to convince your players your clever tactics are worth running through brick walls for, then your ideas are pretty useless on their own.
Indeed and it's true for any manager but especially for an Interim coming in half way through a season and trying to turn a teams fortunes around.

jackal&hyde

Or, after 3 years of low level coaching it will take some time for players to pickup new techniques.

It's also apparent that the players have given up. They downed tools for Ole and now they're doing the same to their substitute teacher.

The club is a disorganised mess. No certainty, no structure, no clear future. No wonder the players have so much power.
I really want to stop talking about former managers and Ole in particular since he is such a trigger to so many people; but I have to ask: If the coaching was so poor, how in the feck did we get 4 semi finals, a European final and 3ed best in the league fallowed by 2ed best in the league? If that is low level coaching then lets have some more of that with a little bit of a plus on top and we are champions.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Hard to work with players who don't listen to any manager who comes through the door. We've got more than a few rotten apples on this squad; thankfully, some of them are out of contract at the end of this season and the next.

marcus agrippa

I'm a fan. I didn't mind LvG, but was doubtful since it'd been a decade since he'd done anything significant in club football. I definitely didn't want Mourinho, but could understand the club's reasoning. I absolutely positively wasn't happy when Ole got hired; I couldn't understand why the club didn't wait till the summer. I always say I was never Ole out because I was never Ole in to begin with. Shocking appointment, based on emotion, and classic Woodward (god, the damage that banker has done!). I didn't care one way or another about Rangnick. I pretty much knew the season was over after the results against City and Liverpool (and still Ole in a job!). I'm cautiously optimistic about Ten Hag since we are at last hiring someone on an upward trajectory, rather than has-beens (LvG, Mourinho) and no-hopers (Moyes, Solskjaer).

Your statement doesn't apply to me, nor I suspect to a lot of folks.

crossy1686

career ending
Buckle up lads, doesn't matter who the manager is, we're 3 to 5 years away from any one person being able to build something and win some major trophies. I guarantee you that maybe 2 players from this squad are with us next time we win something

AshRK

Ole was a failure and so was Jose. Let us move on. Seeing Ole fan boys is bad but seeing Jose fan boys is even worse.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I really want to stop talking about former managers and Ole in particular since he is such a trigger to so many people; but I have to ask: If the coaching was so poor, how in the feck did we get 4 semi finals, a European final and 3ed best in the league fallowed by 2ed best in the league? If that is low level coaching then lets have some more of that with a little bit of a plus on top and we are champions.
Because thats football. How do you think Di Mateo won a CL with Chelsea? its just a short term thing. The way i see it is. Over the short term, results can sometimes be different than the performances. But over the long run, the performances dictate the overall results. Under Ole those results werent backed eith consistent performances. The coaching might not be poor but our performances were not satisfactory regardless. Thats why when we were bad, we were so bad that both the result and performances were sack worthy. Because we had never been that good in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.