Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I’d rather have shit and piss thrown at me by the scousers than have Werner play for United.

largelyworried

Can't see past a forward line that contains at least 3 of Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood or Lingard. Fred's already proven in the last two games that if you play him higher up and tell him to press, he's possibly our best player at doing it also, McTomminay isn't bad at it either.

We might actually find ourselves in a position where our "better off the ball" midfield actually look good.
Greenwood and Rashford have a lot of learning to do in terms of pressing, but if they can pick it up, those two and Sancho definitely look like the future for us. Not only do they have the pace and fitness to make pressing work, they're all flexible enough in forward positions to make the most of quick turnovers.

Hoof the ball

Think I’d prefer Benteke over Werner. He just isn’t a goal scorer, no where lethal enough in front of goal to be at a top club.
Werner functioned very well in the Leipzig system because of his work-ethic in pressing from the front. If we're strictly talking about who would function better in a high-press that's highly structured, there's not a doubt in my mind that Werner would be a million times better than Benteke. Gabriel Jesus isn't massively lethal either, but his contribution towards making City effective in the press is invaluable tactically.

Big picture.

crossy1686

career ending
Werner functioned very well in the Leipzig system because of his work-ethic in pressing from the front. If we're strictly talking about who would function better in a high-press that's highly structured, there's not a doubt in my mind that Werner would be a million times better than Benteke. Gabriel Jesus isn't massively lethal either, but his contribution towards making City effective in the press is invaluable tactically.

Big picture.
It depends on if the team craft a lot of opportunities, or clear cut chances. I feel like Werner over thinks things and needs to be bearing down on goal with time to think before he can score, it doesn’t feel instinctual with him.

Unless he’s available for £20m, which is very unlikely, we should just hang on and try and get Haaland anyway.

Kostov

Can't wait for this guy to turn Maguire and Lindelof into prime Vidic and Nesta, Fred and McT into the best midfield duo of the PL and Martial top scorer for the season. Easy peasy.

Foxbatt

I disagree with the stuff in bold.

Reports from people close to the club are that the decision to appoint Rangnick was made by football men, not Woodward or the Glazers.

Murtough spent 2 months at Leipzig when Rangnick was there to get the low down on what United felt at the time was the best academy in European football. He tried to convince him then to come to United and do the same but he didn't want to leave Leipzig at the time, he was said to have super impressed with Rangnick and recommended him for the job after Solskjaer.

Fletcher and Murtough apparently did the interviewing and Fletch was the one who said that Rangnick interviewed the best and was the best candidate for the role. He put him forward as his first choice. This is absolutely a move away from what the club have done before, which was appoint the man with the biggest rep or best CV.

I agree that the social media buzz is lame, especially if he starts badly but I honestly couldn't care about what rival fans or any social media warrior says. If they ever had a season ticket at United they would know about real fan culture.

The squad isn't lazy, stupid or overpaid, they're just mismanaged and frustrated at how things have gone. Sure, there's a few players that aren't good enough but we're in a better place than we were post LVG or Jose.
Not having a go at you but if this is really true then it is very odd. Fletcher who has never held a coaching job or even an executive role interviewing Ralf Rangnick for a coaching job?

Hoof the ball

It depends on if the team craft a lot of opportunities, or clear cut chances. I feel like Werner over thinks things and needs to be bearing down on goal with time to think before he can score, it doesn’t feel instinctual with him.

Unless he’s available for £20m, which is very unlikely, we should just hang on and try and get Haaland anyway.
That's undoubtedly true. My opinion is that it's something mental, something psychological. Maybe not unlike Vinicius prior to this season.

Ignoring the relative qualities of the EPL compared to the Bundesliga (It isn't that much, as if it's Eredivise, for eg), Werner in consecutive seasons for Leipzig got in the same scoring positions and was able to finish those chances. So, we know he can do it. At Leipzig he registered on average about 30-50 more shots per season than last season at Chelsea, however, the curious stat is that despite taking more shots, the number of shots missed was roughly the same number as those at Chelsea, meaning that he was simply more efficient at Leipzig when he did get those chances.

This might be a case of the Forlan; simply an inability to overcome a mental disposition that subconsciously affects decisions relating to shot choice, technique, etc.

Godfather

We have not done it during the internationals because we haven’t made up our minds yet to sack him. It was a split board. Really quite simple to understand. Now if you’re asking instead why didn’t we make up our minds to sack him during the internationals that’s a different question, but not everyone comes to decisions at the same pace
Well and I was quite obviously questioning our decision making there. Not hard to understand either. But yeah not everyone comes to decisions at the same time indeed

Robbie Boy

Just an FYI for everyone: my sister has a cat named Ralf. Always looks stoned for some reason.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
At least for Denmark, he plays further forward because he is energetic and hard working. His finishing and passing is actually poorer than Lingard, although he is more physical in his play.
Yea it's funny that he always as a striker but isnt a good finisher or great technically. It is his physical play that keeps him playing up front and has been vital for RB Leipzig.

Lingard doesn't provide the same physicality so I don't agree with the comparison, especially in the context of a Ralf team.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Not having a go at you but if this is really true then it is very odd. Fletcher who has never held a coaching job or even an executive role interviewing Ralf Rangnick for a coaching job?
Not necessarily. I know from experience that companies who look to get a bew team lead or something line that occasionally include people from that team in the interview process, so in a way they have a say in selecting their new boss.

It is a way to assess whether the candidate fits with the team and is not related with formal power to decide.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How is that odd? Murtough is the senior member of that duo and unless Fletcher starts getting involved he will never have any experience like every other people that have ever done anything.

nainaisson

Big picture.
Why not just buy Dan James back from Leeds, then? He and Werner are both hard workers and equally embarrassing in front of goal.

crossy1686

career ending
Well Fletch is technical director and Murtough is somewhere between football guy and guy the board trust to oversee the football side of United, so it would be inline with their roles to oversee the recruitment process. We give United lots of shit for the way we’re run on the footballing side but in the last couple of years at least we’ve been changing the structure and appointing people who ‘know’ football, and now we seem to be trusting them to make footballing decisions.

We could argue that Woodward has more experience in hiring managers but the reality is he shouldn’t be anywhere near the recruitment process.

It also appears that Rangnick will go on to be some sort of technical director once the season ends. So ultimately wherever Fletch may be lacking in experience you would hope he’ll learn something in the coming months/years

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'm pretty sure nobody has a clue who a manager who hasn't even started yet will be targetting in the transfer windows. They've proved they don't know anything every summer.

Laurencio

I'm pretty sure nobody has a clue who a manager who hasn't even started yet will be targetting in the transfer windows. They've proved they don't know anything every summer.
But werner played.for him, and Tuchel.ishis student so it.must be true!!!11

On a more serious note, I would assume a midfielder or two would be the highest priority for anyone responsible for transfers, Rangnick or otherwise. It is a glaring issue in the squad that hasn't been fixed. We'd be better off replacing them all with Leicster, Wolves or West Ham's midfield - which just isn't good enough for a club wanting to challenge. There are other issues, but none as fundamental and broken as our midfield.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Thanks for this.

On the one hand, you can argue the delay is unavoidable. On the other hand, you can argue we could have got this sorted without disrupting our season had Rangnick come in immediately after we lost to City.

Status
Not open for further replies.