Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Yes but you need more than a few month’s to change a culture at a club, this will take time but hopefully with Rangnicks well documented experience in building clubs, he will help to get the right manager, players and ethos and if this has been a calculated decision from Murtough and Arnold to do that then I think it’s smart.

I hope he was never brought in to just get us into top 4 and he was only available because he had some sort of past relationship with Murtough and thought “feck it I’ll help John out, I owe him a few beers anyway” but like I said, you never now at this club right now.
Tuchel practically changed Chelsea within a few weeks after a season and a bit of Lampard. At the very least Rangnick should be getting them to be training well and working hard. Clearly, he doesn't have the man-management skills to even instill a basic work ethic in these players, because they certainly had it for Ole for a lot of his time here, at least most of them did.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yeah lets pretend this appointment wasn’t a complete disaster. When was the last time we got beat worse than this at anfield? They’re gonna play for Ronnie, you never know.. got absolutely battered.
I was just making a joke at your spelling of Carrick... but carry on.

edgecutter

“It’s about…” this bloke is a disgrace to our football club. Ole was chastised for “not playing the United way” when this guy has had relegation form since he joined :lol: Today was the worst I’ve seen from a United side EVER.
Worse than the 5-0 at home against pool with ole? Give your head a wobble. The club is in the shattered, not because of ralf but from the shit that was left there before him.

Never mind the fact we have several players out with injury and a lot them have checked out mentally

Murray3007

think hes done a great job, people blamed manager after manager but he has completely made everyone now believe it is the players and its about time, hes called them out time and time again and still no reaction, he will give a ruthless report to the next manager and i think he will trust Rangnick more then the players, biggest problem is I don't even no where to start with this rebuild because there is so many positions that need changed.

Fooza

He talks stuff up but is still playing or including players gone in a few weeks. I thought he was about long term? Why arent we playing players who will be here next season or giving youth more game time?

you cant really argue its ‘because theres a chance of top 4’ when hes literally saying the players on the pitch ignore instructions.
This is the only problem with Ralf for me, he is trying to play it too safe and playing the players that are not bothering/leaving anyway.

He should have been ruthless from the start, dropped a few egos when they were under performing and played a few youth. But I guess he the pressure was there to get results and it's backfired.

AshRK

Some people in here completely dismissing Ralf as a fraud etc. are just spouting typical reactive nonsense without applying any logic or balance. He's clearly smart and his track record with identifying/developing talented players and coaches can't be denied. As a coach though, yep he leaves a lot to be desired.

The problem is that this squad is the antithesis of what Rangnick is. They need the arm round the shoulder and their egos massaged like Solskjaer did. Rangnick is cold and actively undermines confidence. Rangnick is a high press manager. We have a counter attacking, low block squad. He likes young and hungry players he can mould. We have a barely teachable group on ridiculous wages.

I've disliked his press conferences more and more as the season has gone on. Increasing shoulder shrugging, very little motivating or morale lifting. Vague comments wondering if the club will listen to him but nothing really direct until the last Sky Sports interview. All quite depressing, tepid, lacking energy and passion.

His tactics and game management has been woeful.

I honestly think we'd have been higher up the table had Ole stayed. I'm not saying it wasn't untenable towards the end there where Watford were tanking us but I believe Ole would've turned it round.

Maybe there's long term value in Ralf coming in, knocking the hornet's nest and exposing all that's wrong with the club. It informs his consultancy process much clearer. But my gosh, we finished 2nd last year. 2nd! How have we gotten so bad?! I know we have a very flawed squad but he's not done anything to maximise what he's got.

I'm desperate for him to be kept around and seriously listened to. I feel he can do amazing things in a club building sense, unearthing bargains, mentoring people like Fletcher and so on. But as an interim manager, there's little denying his work has been an utter shit show. The best thing he could've done would have been playing to the players' strengths, maximising their value, praising them to the hilt in the media and then selling them while they're worth a damn and we don't look like one of the shittest teams in the PL, which we clearly aren't.
Good post. We fans must distinguish Rangnick the consultant and Rangnick the manager because as an interim he has done an awful job.

Irwin99

The whole world already knows what he's been saying. We're not blind, we can see it in front of us.
That wasn't the narrative of Ole who tried to convince us otherwise (cultural rebuild, improvement, these lads etc.) . That wasn't the feeling from fans who were very optimistic following a second place finish last year either.

The way I see it Ralf has come in and said this is not a modern football club with a great structure. In fact i think he's been harsher than LVG and Jose with his comments about the set up here which is remarkable really.

The Mitcher

The same players downed tools for Ole.
This match was a replica of Ole's last against Liverpool.
They got Mourinho and Ole fired, it's time to get them out.
Maybe Rangnick is just as bad as Ole at managing? Because how can we replace a different manager yet get even worse? It's not totally down to the players whose level is many times higher than what they are exhibiting now. I don't even think the players downed tools for Ole, they seemed to really like him as a person. He just couldn't coach them to save his life.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The narrative of "the players are useless unmanageable mercenaries", "too much player power", "rotten to the core" is not a novel narrative, lots of fans get that into their heads when their club is in trouble, whether it's a big one or a small one, and always think the solution is some hardass who'll "tell it like it is" and "really stick it to them." It's almost always wildly exaggerated and the solution is rarely the aforementioned hardass.

This guy keeps bringing up Liverpool and Klopp as a model. I'm pretty sure Klopp wasn't giving interviews saying they needed 10 more players and the squad was shit.

edcunited1878

He's throwing them under the bus Mourinho style there. But apparently when he does it it's telling it like it is, when Mourinho does it, it's toxicity. I dislike Mourinho, but this is exactly what he does. Hell, it's even Moyes-esque, we have to aspire to their level essentially. When was the last time he took responsibility for his decisions? The time he didn't go 3-5-2 in a match?
What leads you to believe that Liverpool doesn't have better player than United, especially tonight when United were missing their 3 top attackers, two recognized CMs, two left backs, and best CB?

Ralf has been very straightforward and honest. United are so short of players right now, it's brutal.

MUFC OK

Worse than the 5-0 at home against pool with ole? Give your head a wobble. The club is in the shattered, not because of ralf but from the shit that was left there before him
What good has Ralf done? Some great pressers talking about the future but not once has he surprised us with a result better than we expected going in to the fixture. That’s the sign of a good manager to me.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
:lol: that's my RedCaf bingo card filled for the evening. Glazer puppet, saved the best till last.
He's either doing what he is being told to by the board or he actually thinks Maguire should be in the team.

Either way isn't good.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Getting something out of the Liverpool game was always going to be a big ask but when we're chasing 4th it probably wasn't a great idea to say before the match that most of our players are a bit shit.

arthurka

The same players downed tools for Ole.
This match was a replica of Ole's last against Liverpool.
They got Mourinho and Ole fired, it's time to get them out.
Difference is that those teams were bought by their managers who invested around 700-800m into the squads. Ralf inherited a badly trained squad who had downed tools for their good guy manager who had overpaid for the lot of them. They are clearly not up to investing anything extra for this Interim Manager. Hope we are clever enough to listen to this guy.

The Mitcher

What leads you to believe that Liverpool doesn't have better player than United, especially tonight when United were missing their 3 top attackers, two recognized CMs, two left backs, and best CB?

Ralf has been very straightforward and honest. United are so short of players right now, it's brutal.
It doesn't matter if Liverpool have better players than us, you don't spout that Moyes-esque stuff about your rivals.

croadyman

The narrative of "the players are useless unmanageable mercenaries", "too much player power", "rotten to the core" is not a novel narrative, lots of fans get that into their heads when their club is in trouble, whether it's a big one or a small one, and always think the solution is some hardass who'll "tell it like it is" and "really stick it to them." It's almost always wildly exaggerated and the solution is rarely the aforementioned hardass.

This guy keeps bringing up Liverpool and Klopp as a model. I'm pretty sure Klopp wasn't giving interviews saying they needed 10 more players and the squad was shit.
Yeah because the players respected him whereas these cowards have walked all over Ralf and tonight he had enough

Coops73

Tuchel practically changed Chelsea within a few weeks after a season and a bit of Lampard. At the very least Rangnick should be getting them to be training well and working hard. Clearly, he doesn't have the man-management skills to even instill a basic work ethic in these players, because they certainly had it for Ole for a lot of his time here, at least most of them did.
But that’s what Tuchel was brought in for, I don’t think that was ever the case with Rangnick, you might call that writing off the season but I hope it’s a smart long term move.

Fooza

So you don't think getting rid of the players and our new manager bringing in his own team of players is the fix?

There sometimes where exaggerations are said about full reset is needed is said when results don't go well, but this time everything you mention is validated.

- These players will not get us challenging
- We need a manager who has power and a style of his own which means he has to have his own players and get rid of the players that don't fit his style
- This manager has to have power to challenge a board with power, only a 'hard-ass' would do that not a yes man

Whether you like it or not, the model is like a Liverpool or a City

Vapor trail

He's throwing them under the bus Mourinho style there. But apparently when he does it it's telling it like it is, when Mourinho does it, it's toxicity. I dislike Mourinho, but this is exactly what he does. Hell, it's even Moyes-esque, we have to aspire to their level essentially. When was the last time he took responsibility for his decisions? The time he didn't go 3-5-2 in a match?
Mourinho built the squad he criticised it's a catch 22. He had resources at his disposal used them and then wanted to veto some of the very players he purchased. The likes of Guardiola can do this given the state funded establishment he's employed with at city.

Mourinho is a poor example in context. LVG comments about the club being a commercial entity is far more accurate. These players have no identity but I do remember Kane playing every game like a testimonial under Nuno. Yes the players are below par but the fact they aren't playing for the manager is even more of a factor than measuring squad quality.

BEST No7

Mate, Liverpool may well be ahead of us. That much is obvious, but if a manager can't even instill fight in a team against them, after months of opportunity to at least address some of our issues then he isn't good enough. Liverpool always raise their game against us, there wasn't a game in Anfield were they didn't try, no matter how bad their season was. This season we didn't bother and it's not down to the players entirely.
Did you not hear Carra ffs! He said even in Liverpools worst times, no matter who the owners or manager, they gave there all In this game. He's right.

Nobody so much as layed a finger on the scousers tonight until the second half and were showed up by an academy player. Says it all

frostbite

He talks stuff up but is still playing or including players gone in a few weeks. I thought he was about long term? Why arent we playing players who will be here next season or giving youth more game time?

you cant really argue its ‘because theres a chance of top 4’ when hes literally saying the players on the pitch ignore instructions.
Because he doesn't want to lose a game 12-0.

Skills

Snitch
So you don't think getting rid of the players and our new manager bringing in his own team of players is the fix?

There sometimes where exaggerations are said about full reset is needed is said when results don't go well, but this time everything you mention is validated.

- These players will not get us challenging
- We need a manager who has power and a style of his own which means he has to have his own players and get rid of the players

Whether you like it or not, the model is like a Liverpool or a City
No because, there's a 50/50 chance that Ten Haag might actually not be the man and now you've just plundered 100s of more millions down the drain.

Banana Republic

That Liverpool team just beat City at Wembley, only 3 days ago.
The scoreline flattered City, as Liverpool dominated them for most of the game.
Even if Ralf had got this motley bunch playing reasonably well over the last few months, there was no way Utd were not getting well beaten at Anfield tonight.

Ralf‘s been given a bag of shit to work with and some on here are blaming him because he couldn’t turn it into a five course gourmet dinner.

Even last season under Ole, we winged it to get to where we ended up in the table, plus we had the good fortune that other “top” teams had poor seasons and injury issues.
It was obvious that we were weak all over the pitch and that we were heading for a fall at some point.
But no, that was an improvement and we were only a CDM and a couple of other players away from greatness?
That turned out well.

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

Prob the worst coach we have had in my life time, based on performances. People seem to like him because he knocks the players down in pressers over and over again. Probably a part of what is contributing the performances being so much worse than ole mourinho and lvg.

edcunited1878

It doesn't matter if Liverpool have better players than us, you don't spout that Moyes-esque stuff about your rivals.
What he said was the truth. Everyone just saw it play out for 93 minutes. There's nothing surprising about it. What he said is much more fair than if he was asked what do you think about your team's performance. Do you want him to just say they were not implementing the game plan and for the first half they were scared and had zero fight? Because that's what he mentioned and you're just glossing over that. That is more damning for the players and Ralf has no need to beat around the bush. He's getting first hand the lack of quality from some players and more importantly, the crap attitudes they have.

Fooza

No because, there's a 50/50 chance that Ten Haag might actually not be the man and now you've just plundered 100s of more millions down the drain.
If the Liverpool/City board said that too about Pep or Klopp, it's a 50/50 chance this man may not succeed so let's not back him with the players he needs, they wouldn't be in the position they are in now?

Not saying ETH is proven like those two were when they joined btw, but he certainly has potential to become if he is backed, so your '50-50 chance' I think isn't quite right, I'd say it's a 'high chance' he'll be a success if he is FULLY backed

Crashoutcassius

That Liverpool team just beat City at Wembley, only 3 days ago.
The scoreline flattered City, as Liverpool dominated them for most of the game.
Even if Ralf had got this motley bunch playing reasonably well over the last few months, there was no way Utd were not getting well beaten at Anfield tonight.

Ralf‘s been given a bag of shit to work with and some on here are blaming him because he couldn’t turn it into a five course gourmet dinner.

Even last season under Ole, we winged it to get to where we ended up in the table, plus we had the good fortune that other “top” teams had poor seasons and injury issues.
It was obvious that we were weak all over the pitch and that we heading for a fall at some point.
But no, that was an improvement and we were only a CDM and a couple of other players away from greatness?
That turned out well.
Why can nobody discuss Ralf without 99pc of the post being excuses related to ole. He is a big boy with a great squad why can't he be treated as such.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Difference between Ole and Ralf is that at least after dire displays, RR’s analysis of the problems seems completely coherent and logical and he doesn’t fill the air with meaningless sound bites. He doesn’t strike me as the worlds most motivating person, but he has 7/8 senior players literally leaving, a toxic bloated squad and good reason to believe our medical dept aren’t up to par. That is a fecking tough sell to then get players to match the intensity of teams that are playing to create history, even if you’re Martin Luther King.

The meltdown/outrage is completely predictable, but until a bit of foresight and cold headed planning and restructuring starts to happen, nothing will change. It looks like the former, hopefully, may be starting with Ralph. So accept rhe situation, take a deep breath and let’s hope we can allow some competent people to get on with their jobs without adding to the general hysteria.

AshRK

It's like he was hired to shred the club into pieces and show the flaws with everything. Who cares about finishing in top 4 when all you can do is just be critical.

edcunited1878

Prob the worst coach we have had in my life time, based on performances. People seem to like him because he knocks the players down in pressers over and over again. Probably a part of what is contributing the performances being so much worse than ole mourinho and lvg.
Can't have a team perform differently when they can't perform basics. There's a lot of players not suited to any progressive football that includes off ball work rate, intelligence, technical skill, and agility/athleticism. There's a lot of wrong within the player side and Ralf isn't afraid to share that. What we see is what he sees and says. Nothing wrong with that.

Ralf's doing us all a favor having to steer this trainwreck to the end of the season. He has so much intel on every player currently in the first team, you know he's going to share his dossier with Murtough. And Fletcher see it too. There's a trio of people who sees this all, every single day, and you can't hide. It's going to be interesting times when Ralf gets to debrief on the first team squad.

Roario

Maybe Rangnick is just as bad as Ole at managing? Because how can we replace a different manager yet get even worse? It's not totally down to the players whose level is many times higher than what they are exhibiting now. I don't even think the players downed tools for Ole, they seemed to really like him as a person. He just couldn't coach them to save his life.
I don't believe Ole was a bad manager at all.
The thing that got Ole fired was the players' inability to play other systems than counter-attacking.
Everything was fine until United was expected to dominate big games with a shiny Ronaldo upfront.
The move away from counter-attacking outed our squad of players as average at best.
Then the players' confidence disappears and they stop giving a shit.

Skills

Snitch
If the Liverpool/City board said that too, it's a 50/50 chance this man may not succeed so let's not back him with the players he needs, they wouldn't be in the position they are in now?

Not saying ETH is proven like those two were when they joined btw, but he certainly has potential to become if he is back, so your '50-50 chance' I think isn't quite right, I'd say it's a 'high chance' he'll be a success if he is FULLY backed
Don't you guys ever learn? You've banged your head against this wall, 4x already and you want to go down the same route again? It's absolutely moronic to gamble your future away on a single manager - that's why we're in this shit hole of a situation now. Ten Hag seems to be a talented head coach - but he's worked at Ajax, where under Overmars we would've had close to minimal input into spending, because that's how those clubs run. And you want to just hand him 100s of millions for him to spend? It's fecking stupid.

We absolutely need to strengthen this summer in multiple positions. But that should be done regardless of who the manager is. The club needs to be ruthless and clear in their own vision - and not be continually fed horseshit by whoever the manager is. We need to tell Ten Hag, what he should be able to achieve with the squad he gets next season - not the other way around.

Chairman Steve

Ralf‘s remit and Jose’s remit are completely different.

Jose was hired as a permanent manager to win stuff and build a squad. He criticised the squad he built after getting what he wanted from the board.

Ralf was hired as an interim to (in my opinion) primarily evaluate the squad and shape a new football infrastructure. He hasn’t bought any players and he’s working with someone else’s squad, plus he’ll be upstairs next year hopefully working close with the people who’ll run the football side of things, so him giving both barrels to a bunch of players six months ago he had zero connection with, is more justifiable than what Jose did.

One was meant to bring glory and the other is a troubleshooter.

Vapor trail

Mate, Liverpool may well be ahead of us. That much is obvious, but if a manager can't even instill fight in a team against them, after months of opportunity to at least address some of our issues then he isn't good enough. Liverpool always raise their game against us, there wasn't a game in Anfield were they didn't try, no matter how bad their season was. This season we didn't bother and it's not down to the players entirely.
I agree. I think the club's current predicament is mainly to do with the Glazers lack of objectivity to make a reasonable judgement with who to replace Ole with.

Ragnick has not managed a club the size of United or similar in his time in management. He's not been renown as a quality manager. His best work and influence is within the role of a DOF. The fact the club offered him a consultancy role is evident of this.

It's just poor decision making. Carrick finished on a decent win over Arsenal hindsight could he have been given the role until the end of the season ? Conte an option if Solskjaer was sacked sooner ? it's hard to predict how these potential events would have translated into the season but I think undoubtedly that Ragnick has been a poor choice for his current role but the correct selection for his future role.

The Mitcher

It's like he was hired to shred the club into pieces and show the flaws with everything. Who cares about finishing in top 4 when all you can do is just be critical.
He was hired to get top 4. He was also hired to evaluate the squad and offer suggestions of improvement once he had achieved top 4. He would also be involved in player recruitment and picking the successor for the club. This whole "he's here to shred the club to pieces and expose the flaws!" is just a re-writing of history to cover up his own failings. That was not what United and himself said he was hired for. He was hired to steady the ship and salvage top 4, which was achievable at the time. Instead, things have destabilized further, and he has failed to achieve top 4. Maybe as a consultant, he will perform better, but to say he was hired for this hatchet job of a performance is just a distortion. At the very least he should have been able to drop the under-performers, instil discipline and raise training standards. He's done nothing of the sort, we look even more disjointed and uncoached under him than we did under Ole.

AshRK

He was hired to get top 4. He was also hired to evaluate the squad and offer suggestions of improvement once he had achieved top 4. He would also be involved in player recruitment and picking the successor for the club. This whole "he's here to shred the club to pieces and expose the flaws!" is just a re-writing of history to cover up his own failings. That was not what United and himself said he was hired for. He was hired to steady the ship and salvage top 4, which was achievable at the time. Instead, things have destabilized further, and he has failed to achieve top 4. Maybe as a consultant, he will perform better, but to say he was hired for this hatchet job of a performance is just a distortion. At the very least he should have been able to drop the under-performers, instil discipline and raise training standards. He's done nothing of the sort, we look even more disjointed and uncoached under him than we did under Ole.
I think we are on the same page with our thoughts. Maybe I wasn't clearer. What I meant was all he has done so far is just give critical analysis. It's like he wasn't hired to fix the problems but point out how crap everyone at the club is.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
How can you be worse than Ole???? That is an impressive feet to accomplish. This is what happens when the players don't respect the manager.

ETH should be careful because our players are already underwhelmed by him. If he doesn't make a lot of shift, and sign the right player, he will be sacked by the end of next season. Ralf has been a complete embarrassment and I don't want him anywhere near United. Like what was he hired for???? Like we chould have hired eddie howe and i feel like he would have given us more of a fighting chance for top four. It was a mistake letting carrick go for Ralf

Status
Not open for further replies.