Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrion

Another way of saying it is… ten Hag doesn’t need you. He’s here to turn things around on his own and everything goes through him.
I guess so which suggests that his original appointment was even dumber than its seemed recently.

Dante

Average bang
Quit or sacked?
Probably quit.

Rangnick himself asked for the consultancy clause during negotiations.

You have to remember that he was contracted to Lokomotiv Moscow at the time. So he wanted some job security after the 6 month interim period would be over. United never really cared either way.

As things turned out, he got a job with Austria instead. So there was no need for him to waste everyone's time as a consultant. It suits both Ralf and United for us to part ways.

Gazza

Is it possible that Ten Hag collected his data from all of the insiders, watched the matches, listened to the assistant coaches and realized Ralf is a complete fraud and wanted him nowhere near his team?

I think it’s a pretty strong possibility that Ten Hag said no thanks, and that sealed Ralf’s fate.
possible? Sure. You’d be shooting in the dark to suit your own reading of the situation though, tbh

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Quit or sacked?
I think he was pushed similar to what happened at AC Milan. At Milan, Rangnick had sold the idea of a revolution which the board had agreed with, and he was all set for a 3 year stint as manager/director of football with Stefan Pioli the head coach getting the sack. But there was a push back from elements from within the club, and the same AC Milan that Rangnick wanted to gut in the 2020/21 season, went on to win the league in the 2021/22 season.

The quotes below are pretty damning and it seems Rangnick has repeated the same shenanigans here as he did at Milan with Maldini particularly being incensed by a perceived lack of respect he showed.

From the below article: "At the start of the new year cracks began to appear. AC Milan were annoyed by German’s continuous comments in the media and Rangnick’s strong character started to become a problem. The 62-year-old admitted talks with Milan and openly pressured the club to have full decision making power."

"There has been interest from AC Milan but with the Coronavirus situation there are other things to consider, besides thinking if Ralf Rangnick is the right man for them or vice versa. If theoretically I have to think about going somewhere else, I should to be able to do things my way”, he declared in an interview with Mitteldeutsche Zeitung."

"Paolo Maldini immediately blasted Rangnick for commenting on a club he wasn’t part of. “Speaking of a role with full managerial powers in both the sporting and technical areas, he invades areas where professionals with regular contracts work. I have some advice for him, before learning Italian he should review the general concepts of respect, as there are colleagues who, despite the many difficulties of the moment, are trying to finish the season in a very professional way, putting the best of Milan before their professional pride”, declared Paolo Maldini. Elliot started to reflect."

https://www.acmilaninfo.com/the-true-reasons-why-ac-milan-pulled-the-plug-on-ralf-rangnick/

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
His near mythical status amongst some on here is truly baffling.

Terrible manager, who for some reason was celebrated for such great insights such as:

“Having a clear transfer strategy, signing players who fit into that system; that’s what both clubs have been doing in the last five or six years,”

or :

Manchester City and Liverpool… have been built together and recruited over a period of five or six years. All of them under the premise of how the coaches want to play. I told the board this is what has to happen (at United),"

What a genius!
If it's so obvious why the feck haven't we been doing it then??

Zetrio2002

Ralf is either not intelligent/detail oriented or he simply doesn't care.

I mean, it's quite obvious that if you will to take up a national job with Austria, there would be implications involved based on his Austria job and man utd job. So either he's not intelligent/detail oriented enough to look through the contract or he simply don't care and wants a way out. Maybe both.

He's quite a joker. He used the same tactics that got Ole sacked, 4222 for the nextfew games, then 4231 the same old tactics, refused to VDB because Ole doesn't play him too!

tjb

Is it possible that Ten Hag collected his data from all of the insiders, watched the matches, listened to the assistant coaches and realized Ralf is a complete fraud and wanted him nowhere near his team?

I think it’s a pretty strong possibility that Ten Hag said no thanks, and that sealed Ralf’s fate.
Its funny because the same fans complaining now and blaming the club, would be the same ones saying " anyone with sense would have known that an ex-manager who failed would cause problems". In the history of the league, how many times have we seen an ex manager work alongside a current manager with no issues.

Amarsdd

Reading some of the posts here you'd think Ralf had been a great tactical manager + gegenpressing magician + best scout in the world + best DOF in the world + great investigative journalist + great writer of exposés + would have single-handedly changed the fortunes of United from his part time consultancy role.

stevoc

So to briefly sum up, we hired a guy with no pedigree at this level, coming off one year of management in ten, to go with another two years of consultancy, suggested by Ralf, on terms that no one had thought to discuss, much less pin down beforehand,. He was brought in to get top 4, which he didn't, to implement a pressing style, which he managed for half an hour, and to assess the squad for the next guy, except the next guy doesn't seem arsed, considering Ralf has spent most of the last couple of months in press conferences - when he wasn't negotiating a move to another team - talking about how he hadn't spoken to him yet but hoped to soon, if ETH wanted to hear his views.

Will Singh

Another way of looking at it is he came here with good intentions but after working with the Glazers he wanted the feck out so found anther job!

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
ETH absolutely should not have authority on decisions

He should have input and possibly a veto but never "authority"

Every other top club learnt this 15 years ago. Managers interests and "the clubs" interests are too often not aligned and even if they were, it's too much for one person to take on.

We're still trying to operate like it's 1986 and one man can run a football club top-to-bottom.
Bingo. And this is a real problem.

The United

Bingo. And this is a real problem.
Tbf, no manager after SAF got authority over decisions. It was why the likes of Jose and RR seemed to talk shite in the press.

You just hope that whoever makes decisions now gets most of them right.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Rangnick has demonstrated he can build a club from scratch. That's a different skill to developing an already established club and team. With respect to Rangnick, why the hell would ETH want him around pass his initial assessments of the team?

People are acting as if the only hope we have of becoming successful again rested on Ralf Rangnicks role as a consultant working a couple days a month? Give over. It's not that deep. Had he actually got a few results on the pitch the conversation might be different, but he was truly terrible, so why should anyone listen to him in regards to the first team? It's not like he's giving out groundbreaking snippets is it? By in large he said the team is made up of mismatches and some players aren't upto it/wanting to leave. Do we really need a consultant to tell us that? Do we need Ralf Rangnick to tell us the club hasn't been run properly for years and that's trickled onto the field? No, we don't. It's bleeding obvious.

Thanks for the effort Ralf but the truth is, you're not needed. Sure another opinion from a footballing person can only be a good thing, however Ralf fecking Rangnick not being at United is most definitely not the be all and end all.

Grande

I think he was pushed similar to what happened at AC Milan. At Milan, Rangnick had sold the idea of a revolution which the board had agreed with, and he was all set for a 3 year stint as manager/director of football with Stefan Pioli the head coach getting the sack. But there was a push back from elements from within the club, and the same AC Milan that Rangnick wanted to gut in the 2020/21 season, went on to win the league in the 2021/22 season.

The quotes below are pretty damning and it seems Rangnick has repeated the same shenanigans here as he did at Milan with Maldini particularly being incensed by a perceived lack of respect he showed.

From the below article: "At the start of the new year cracks began to appear. AC Milan were annoyed by German’s continuous comments in the media and Rangnick’s strong character started to become a problem. The 62-year-old admitted talks with Milan and openly pressured the club to have full decision making power."

"There has been interest from AC Milan but with the Coronavirus situation there are other things to consider, besides thinking if Ralf Rangnick is the right man for them or vice versa. If theoretically I have to think about going somewhere else, I should to be able to do things my way”, he declared in an interview with Mitteldeutsche Zeitung."

"Paolo Maldini immediately blasted Rangnick for commenting on a club he wasn’t part of. “Speaking of a role with full managerial powers in both the sporting and technical areas, he invades areas where professionals with regular contracts work. I have some advice for him, before learning Italian he should review the general concepts of respect, as there are colleagues who, despite the many difficulties of the moment, are trying to finish the season in a very professional way, putting the best of Milan before their professional pride”, declared Paolo Maldini. Elliot started to reflect."

https://www.acmilaninfo.com/the-true-reasons-why-ac-milan-pulled-the-plug-on-ralf-rangnick/
If this is true, it makes me wonder how much due dilligence Murtaugh did with him in the first place.

stevoc

It only looks 'bad' for United because a portion of the fanbase latched on to the idea of his consultancy being mega-important.

If you take a step back and consider whether that was ever important to the club (which evidently is wasn't) this move doesn't really matter. It was only ever a bullshit job created out of thin air to keep an interim manager feeling important.
Bingo and based on virtually nothing, I wasn't against him being a consultant it could have been useful. But it might also be useful to keep Mike Phelan on as a consultant. But both of them leaving I doubt will have much of a negative effect (probably none) on the fortunes of Manchester United going forward.

DarkDog

Lets see what more comes out. Club didn’t like him talking so openly about issues with the club. I think that was behind it. He was basically saying what most local fans already know or were speculating. How badly run this club is. Now there are rumors that Ten Hag will only have 100 million pounds to spend. We saved 50 million pounds annually only by Pogba, Cavani, Mata, Lingard, Bailly and Matic leaving. Now Ten Hag will have basically no money to spend. At least not what Ole, Jose and vGaal had in their first summer. Glazers are so royally screwing our managers and fans. They already payed 25 million for dividens and another 25 million on board bonuses. Loan that was taken out last year went to Red Football plc.

The United

If this is true, it makes me wonder how much due dilligence Murtaugh did with him in the first place.
Also, why did the likes of Milan and Chelsea decide not to hire him? Because, after some research/interviews, they found out that he didn't fit what they looked for?

I am saying this because, in December, some people brought up those clubs going after him before to show that he was still a class manager. But it might have been the opposite and we were the fools who bit the bullet (as usual)?

Djemba-Djemba

The fact he was such an utter disaster as manager must have played a part in him going.

If he'd come in and had us playing nice football, and made top 4 he'd have surely stayed on as consultant.

stevoc

Yeah, but the issue is that his appointment as short-term manager only made sense if we were going to use him in a different - more fitting - role afterwards.

Without that, it means we've absolutely wasted the second half of the season - and lost a potential CL place - by giving the manager's job short term for someone who was never going to be the best man for such a job.
I imagine they thought Ralf would come in steady the ship, gets the players confidence back and finish 4th. They obviously didn't envisage him failing so badly.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Damn, and here I was thinking we finally had a plan and had sorted ourselves out. We never change, do we?

Previously, we hired LVG and Giggs as assistant, with a view to Giggs succeeding him. LVG gets sacked, Giggs follows, new plan altogether.

Then we hire Ole as an interim and say we'll take our time and hire a permanent manager in due course. Then we go all in on Ole after a complete fluke of a result.

I trust ETH as a manager but I said the other day I feel like he may be overconfident and naïve to think he can sort all this. That's after saying he thinks there's loads of potential in the squad. He obviously decided not to listen to Rangnick and has probably said he can do it all alone. This only reinforces my feeling so far. Hopefully it's not like the decision from Moyes to scrap all Fergies backroom staff, where we all look at that as the decision that probably set him up to fail.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He was only appointed as the head coach at the club for around 6 months. The Milan role entailed him being both the head coach and sporting director.

Murtough's job was to try and put a plaster on the wound for 6 months, until a permanent solution was found. And the permanent solution was at Ajax who was already in a job.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
We have been doing that to a certain extent.

It is just that we just didn't have success with all the managers we have been hiring.
Well we continually hire managers who are wrong fit for the club, these managers then move to sign players who aren't a fit for next manager.

It's the impression that just because RR summarised his thoughts on the club to the press, it means that's all he saying to the board... Basically sign Haaland & Mbappe...

Red00012

A team of players come together and says he upset the dressing room. Close thread

stevoc

Tbf, no manager after SAF got authority over decisions. It was why the likes of Jose and RR seemed to talk shite in the press.

You just hope that whoever makes decisions now gets most of them right.
Moyes and LVG both had full control. Moyes was too much of a ditherer to do much with it and Van Gaal gutted an experienced and replace them all with shite it took years to shift. That's why Jose never got full control.

stevoc

Only a few weeks ago he said he'd still be going ahead with his consultancy role as planned and now he's gone. This whole thing is just so werid and awkward.

Really what has happened since he's now gone is they hired a guy who came in, did arguably worse than Ole and blasted the entire team and organisation and blamed everyone but himself. From the outside this entire thing looks so appaling you almost wouldn't believe it.
It's not even arguable.

stevoc

Job done. Big changes have been made behind the scenes and his advice must have been taken aboard by the club. There's no way this many changes would be happening without this dude exposing the sack of shit we have as a squad full of overpaid and overpriced fat sloths who can't move. He helped bring in ETH and I think his departure will mean that we get a priority sporting director (Paul Mitchell). Job done and contract completed and time to move on. ETH is in charge now and has a new team around him at the club.
In an alternate universe maybe.

Yakuza_devils

I really don't care whether Rangnick stay or leave. This guy fails miserably and shouldn't has any roles in the club anymore.

The most worrying part is that we are supposed to be under a new football structure but the mess of Rangnick appointment makes me feel deja vu again.

We got the interim manager appointment totally wrong, no plan to support him to give him a chance to succeed and throw away a season in Nov. I mean the football structure can be wrong sometime with manager appointment but this appointment was a total disaster. Players style not matching the coach, not allowed player reinforcement and the coach is well known for DOF instead of coaching. And there was no DOF/consultant roles after all.

No top club operates the way we do. It's shameful. The Adult Disneyland is here to stay Woodward or not. Arnold and Murtough have been part of the catastrophic failure for the last decade. If they were capable I don't think Man Utd can be the laughing stock in world football for a decade. These guys have been working in the football side of things in the club for a decade with unprecedented failure albeit in different structure. We may really need a total revamp from top to bottom in the club.

We all need to pray hard that we may hit jackpot with ETH. I don't really see anything has changed in the club apart from sacking some people here and there. The decision making for such an important appointment of manager/consultant is still appalling.

Kaushal

I think this decision of scrapping his consultancy role was taken way before not now ever since we decided to appoint ten hag and were holdings meetings with him. It was a mutual one as it wouldn’t have been good neither for Rangnick nor for ETH since their footballing philosophies are different. That’s why Rangnick decided to take the Austria job and that’s why we didn’t consult him for ten hag. He was never involved in any of the process from interview to meeting him etc.

I think it was all kept under the wraps till the season is over and ETH is appointed to keep the furore in check. As the season approached the end I never got the feeling from his press conferences that he is totally committed and knows what to do and how is gonna do it. It was always like the club need to do this, I would tell the board, hopefully we have conversations (with ETH) etc etc.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
Rangnick originally had a contract with Lokomotiv Moscow until 2024.

Murtough offered a contract with Manchester United until summer 2022. Rangnick insisted on an extended role until 2024 to give him the job security he was giving up at Lokomotiv. Murtough said 'yes'. United didn't care either way.

As things turned out, Rangnick got a role for Austria until 2024. He no longer needed the job security at United. Rangnick and Murtough agreed not to bother with the extended role. United still don't care either way.

The consultancy would have been ceremonial at best. The club has already been through a massive restructure in the last few months. We'll stick with that structure for at least 2 years regardless. Rangnick would only have been talking to a brick wall. It would have been a waste of everyone's time and he knew it.

Eddy_JukeZ

Damn, and here I was thinking we finally had a plan and had sorted ourselves out. We never change, do we?

Previously, we hired LVG and Giggs as assistant, with a view to Giggs succeeding him. LVG gets sacked, Giggs follows, new plan altogether.

Then we hire Ole as an interim and say we'll take our time and hire a permanent manager in due course. Then we go all in on Ole after a complete fluke of a result.

I trust ETH as a manager but I said the other day I feel like he may be overconfident and naïve to think he can sort all this. That's after saying he thinks there's loads of potential in the squad. He obviously decided not to listen to Rangnick and has probably said he can do it all alone. This only reinforces my feeling so far. Hopefully it's not like the decision from Moyes to scrap all Fergies backroom staff, where we all look at that as the decision that probably set him up to fail.
Ten Hag isn't going to publicly put the players down.

It's just silly reading too much into his 'potential' remark.

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

This comes off like you're comparing Ralf Rangnick to Sir Alex Ferguson.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Ultimately it comes down to two things:

1) His shitshow the past six months -- from having no filter in front of the press (whether being defensive in protecting his reputation or emotionally being immature) to such poor team performances considering Ole's sack timing was planned to coincide with the best 10 matches any incoming manager could ask for. His footballing brand or credibility was just bankrupted.

2) The current in-coming management and probably Murtough etc just lost faith in Rangnick -- and couldn't see any point of having him as the consultant. (And if there is one thing a consultant needs in order to get his ideas across is credibility. A consultant that has nothing in the (credibility) bank is just pointless.
Why have a consultant in meetings where he would not be believed or listened to? It would be disruptive in any meetings.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We don't need Rangnick to become a competitive team again. Michael Zorc has retired as the Sporting director at BvB, and the replacement is former player Sebastian Kehl. Rangnick wasn't even considered.

Rangnick was a head coach in Germany that was given total control of clubs who were financially doped up by Dietmar Hopp and then Dietrich Mateschitz who is worth a reported £20b. But those clubs were built from scratch by the owners, which pissed a lot of German football fans off due to how those clubs came about.

Last edited:

Red4Life_#7

I don't think he will. I believe he's watched our games and has a formed a pretty good idea in which positions we need to reinforce and which players from the current squad will be able to pull their weight in order for his style of football to work. We don't know, of course, whether the new signings will bed in right away or how well our current crop will respond to his instructions. It might take a season to sort things out, but it will not be assessing so much, as it will be reevaluating what he thinks about the team, both ability & character wise. That's probably why he mentioned that he will be the one who will be drawing the line. Let's hope that they will let him.

I liked him when he first came to OT, but he's been the architect of his own demise. If he had just focused on the structural changes that need to be done, more people would have had a better opinion of him. I remember that during his first interviews he was saying things that actually make a lot of sense: That we should not rely on just one person (the manager) to solve everything, but we must surround him with knowledgable professionals and proper task delegation, so that the manager will be able to focus solely on first-team tactics. That there's a dire need to modernize the club in almost every aspect. That responsibilities like long-term vision and an overarching ethos are on the club, and that we should not expect the manager to provide these things for us.

We didn't do a dirty on him. He wanted the consultancy job more than anything. The club, after Carrick announced his departure, needed an interim manager for 6 months, probably because they didn't want Conte and they were already warming to the idea of "Poch or someone else" in the summer. I think that the club were willing to take a calculated risk when they didn't go for Conte. From that point onward, neither the club nor Rangnick expected things to go so bad for us. It was then that he entered a self-preservation mode. Don't forget that in his first presser, he described the squad as lacking in certain areas, but definitely better than the one Klopp inherited at Liverpool. From that, he ended up saying that we need a new starting-xi. I'm not saying that he's lying, the truth is always somewhere in the middle. But he also knew that the atrocious performances would tarnish any credentials he had. Unfortunately, that's how it goes.

I still remember that they were people advocating, during the couple of times Solskjaer flirted with a sacking, that we should actually promote him to a DoF role because he knows the club or whatever. I kept saying back then that it's not possible, simply because you can't have the new man taking orders and answering to his predecessor who had previously failed at the same job. It's ridiculous, and i'm afraid the same thing goes for Rangnick. Any United fan out there can say in public that we need to burn the house down and start all over again, and they can do it for free. That's not what a consultancy is about. And Rangnick went too far to protect his own reputation. ETH may find himself agreeing with some of Rangnick's assessments, we don't know how things will pan out. But he won't start his tenure with rumours that he's heeding the advice of the person that failed to implement anything, but threw everyone under the bus instead. It just wasn't possible.
You've made some really good points, I think I agree with everything you said.

Rangnick had no power at the club, he inherited a team in termol and only a experienced manager could come in and turn our team around especially with the season Maguire was having.
Point blank our players are not good enough. We have a world class striker and don't get him the ball even in the final 3rd, forget Ronaldo's age, he is a beast, give him the ball and he will score. I saw a vid of him making 4 runs in the box in 15 secs and they missed him everytime with their crosses.

Rangnick was not good enough (as a coach) for the job, we need to look at who put him in the seat, if we're pointing the finger. I don't have a problem with Rangnick protecting his rep, it's a harsh world.
But we should have honoured our agreement and kept him in as a consultant.

Status
Not open for further replies.