Ralph Hasenhüttl

Godfather

Did you know he once lost a home match 9-0.......

Southampton looking to me very close to the level they were under Poch and Koeman. Might not finish quite as high in the league but they're pretty good. Still have the odd brainfart like v Spurs second half when they parked their defence continually on the halfway line and Spurs just ran through them time and again but from what I've seen in the other games I'd be amazed if they finish bottom half.

Outside shots for a europa place if it goes down to 7th.
Albeit having a way worse squad than back then. Hasenhüttl is fantastic.

stu_1992

I see Ings went off injured. Having not seen the match, I can't say how bad it could be. But I will be watching with curiosity at how what sort of results he can get out of them without Ings. His goals have carried them at times.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’d go for him if things fall apart with Ole. PL experience. Modern attacking style. Doesn’t need superstars to succeed. With our budget, scouting and appeal we could uncover some real gems instead of constantly shopping at the top end of the market. I’d only be unsure insofar as he may not click with the squad here and we would have to start another rebuild which would be hellish. He seems to be very strict and fitness driven.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
Really warming to Hüttenhasl, and today's result doesn't blow on that warmth (I might've been feeling less charitable if it had ended 0-4 or 1-4, mind). Nice guy, and appears to be a-man-who-might-have-a-plan - ambitious but humble; dynamic but stolid (like a sort of Happy Shopper Klopp).

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
Did you know he once lost a home match 9-0.......

Southampton looking to me very close to the level they were under Poch and Koeman. Might not finish quite as high in the league but they're pretty good. Still have the odd brainfart like v Spurs second half when they parked their defence continually on the halfway line and Spurs just ran through them time and again but from what I've seen in the other games I'd be amazed if they finish bottom half.

Outside shots for a europa place if it goes down to 7th.
With a lesser squad I think.
I'm with you mate. Would like to see him given a opportunity at a bigger club.
I wouldn't. ;)
Could see him at Spurs. Not so much Everton... I think Saints are the perfect club for him though.
That's what I think as well!
I really do think he's a perfect fit for us and hope we can keep him here for the whole term of his contract at least. I know that will be hard but if the club back him a bit more than they have I think it would make that a bit easier to do. He seems to be enjoying himself at the moment and if the players do as he asks of them we could have a few good years.
Here's hoping!

Ludens the Red

Such a good team to watch, actively look forward to their fixtures now . Not only because they play some great stuff and are so gung ho but also because they have numerous brain farts, vs Spurs with the comedy high line and yesterday letting Villa score three.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In the 18/19 season he was the head coach at RB Leipzig and they finished the campaign with the best defensive record in the league. It was under him that Ibrahima Konate really flourished too as a teenager.

If you give him the tools he has shown he can find the balance between attack and defense.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Such a good team to watch, actively look forward to their fixtures now . Not only because they play some great stuff and are so gung ho but also because they have numerous brain farts, vs Spurs with the comedy high line and yesterday letting Villa score three.
I'm at the point where I just want this more than anything else at United. A manager who plays modern and exciting attacking football. Enough of this reliance needing space to be afforded to us to break like some small time club, and then spending all game passing side to side when they don't. High time that Manchester United modernised and stopped being stuck in the previous era.

amolbhatia50k

In the 18/19 season he was the head coach at RB Leipzig and they finished the campaign with the best defensive record in the league. It was under him that Ibrahima Konate really flourished too as a teenager.

If you give him the tools he has shown he can find the balance between attack and defense.
I seemed to have confused him someone else as my previous posts in this thread linking him with Klopp indicate. Good to see that there's another manager showing real potential and that too in the PL. Seems to play the kind of football a lot of us want to see at United. I still feel we need a manager to modernise how we play. People laugh at the whole "laying foundations" but with our last 2 appointments we've wasted time in doing that. Of course you can have a manager do it all at once and not need to be the "bridge" but regardless we need one of these tactical attacking coaches first and foremost. More than big names, it is what will transform this team.

I seemed to have confused him with some fellow who was at Brighton (?) who worked with Klopp and their meeting was hyped as some battle of the wits, or something.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I seemed to have confused him someone else as my previous posts in this thread linking him with Klopp indicate. Good to see that there's another manager showing real potential and that too in the PL. Seems to play the kind of football a lot of us want to see at United. I still feel we need a manager to modernise how we play. People laugh at the whole "laying foundations" but with our last 2 appointments we've wasted time in doing that. Of course you can have a manager do it all at once and not need to be the "bridge" but regardless we need one of these tactical attacking coaches first and foremost. More than big names, it is what will transform this team.

I seemed to have confused him with some fellow who was at Brighton (?) who worked with Klopp and their meeting was hyped as some battle of the wits, or something.
Was it David Wagner ex Huddersfield Town manager? He worked under Klopp at Dortmund and is a close friend of the Liverpool head coach.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Fantastic manager. Have thought so for a few years now. Be an excellent appointment for most CL sides in Europe and will probably eventually get one of the club games biggest jobs.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Leipzig's highest league finish came under him too when they finished the 18/19 season as runners up to Bayern and had the best defensive record in the league. He played with a back 4 with 19 year old Konate and Willi Orban as the CB pairing.

amolbhatia50k

Fantastic manager. Have thought so for a few years now. Be an excellent appointment for most CL sides in Europe and will probably eventually get one of the club games biggest jobs.
Rules him out of contention for us then.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
A comparison with Poch would just be great i guess. Poch was never this attacking at Southampton. He knew when to defend and when to attack due to which the pragmatic play was always there. Poch is completely reliant on full backs who can provide support. He prefers 4231 and we just don't have the players for that.

This guy is like the Initial Klopp. Attack is his best defence. You score 4 , I will score 5 and he is doing with that Southampton team. Scored 3 against Chelsea, 2 against Spurs, 4 against Villa. This guy doesn't need full backs to make his system work. Play 4222 which would suit us like a charm.

Now bit of stats at Southampton.

RH :
1.38 points per game
1.49 goals scored per game
30 wins ,16 draws and 31 losses

MP:
1.45 points per game.
1.45 goals scored
23 wins, 18 draws ,19 losses

Stats will show Poch as a slightly better manager but he had a better squad and played less matches.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Stats will show Poch as a slightly better manager but he had a better squad and played less matches.
Maybe Poch is better manager too.

But yeah agree with your points. His team plays very good football and we should keep him as realistic option.

Bojan11

A comparison with Poch would just be great i guess. Poch was never this attacking at Southampton. He knew when to defend and when to attack due to which the pragmatic play was always there. Poch is completely reliant on full backs who can provide support. He prefers 4231 and we just don't have the players for that.

This guy is like the Initial Klopp. Attack is his best defence. You score 4 , I will score 5 and he is doing with that Southampton team. Scored 3 against Chelsea, 2 against Spurs, 4 against Villa. This guy doesn't need full backs to make his system work. Play 4222 which would suit us like a charm.

Now bit of stats at Southampton.

RH :
1.38 points per game
1.49 goals scored per game
30 wins ,16 draws and 31 losses

MP:
1.45 points per game.
1.45 goals scored
23 wins, 18 draws ,19 losses

Did they really have a better squad? It was their second season in the premier league and Potch made Rickie Lambert so good that Liverpool signed him.

3KDré

I think he would work wonders with this squad. I can see him going to Spurs post-Mourinho though and it will be a great appointment.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Is he underrated in the context of him being a potential Ole replacement? Just looked through his previous records and he won promotion twice with two different clubs within two seasons of each in Germany. Both of these teams where fighting the relegation battle when he first came. He then took a newly promoted Leipzig to 2nd place in their first season in Bundesliga. That's really impressive and I'd say even more so than what Ten Hag Nagelsmann and Rose has achieved. For me it shows he is ambitious and can get teams to punch above their weight which is exactly what we need from a manager. His style of play is also closer to Fergie days than any other potential manager

Wayne's World

I know this means absolutely nothing but his price to be next United manager has slashed in the past 24 hours. From 50/1 to 9/1

Again means little but found it interesting all the same

EDIT: Sorry he was 100/1, not 50/1

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
it might sound strange but you had that guy in LVG. He is obviously batshit crazy but he was a bridge coach at Bayern and laid their foundation for their possession football.

Teja

it might sound strange but you had that guy in LVG. He is obviously batshit crazy but he was a bridge coach at Bayern and laid their foundation for their possession football.
Yup, I think as a club we were scrambling a bit trying to find our identity post Fergie.

We went for Moyes who I assume the club thought of as Fergie lite, long term appointment (6 yr contract at the time), all signals were that we were going to back Moyes to do the job long term. That failed horribly so we then decided we want attractive possession based football and got LvG. This would've been fine if we followed this up with someone like Pep, since the foundations were there but did yet another 180 with the Jose appointment. We ended up winning a cup but he was almost the antithesis of LvG football, so new philosophy yet again.

Somewhat through sheer dumb luck we found Ole who is a pragmatic, incremental improvement over how Jose played his football, without the media meltdowns. Our defensive system and counter attacking systems (when we use the default 4-2-3-1) now are fairly similar to what we had under Jose. Couple of minor differences in the transition from attack to defence where we press much higher up and in attacking play that favors quick passing.

Tactically someone like Hassenhuttl or Nagelsmann would actually be a pretty decent transition from Ole if we go that way.

amolbhatia50k

LVG would do a better job with this team than Ole. But his purchases were horrendous and I don't think he was that guy. He was the guy for the 90s-2010s and was behind the current generation.

SATA

Credit to the people at Saints who didn’t sack him after the 0-9 and stood with him. I genuinely thought he was gone after that

tomaldinho1

But then we hired Jose....might have worked if someone with similar ideals came in.
We're currently trying to build a high press, attacking team without a single coach who has ever done it. There's a reason we look so disjointed.

Rajma

Huge fan, hope we’re already sounding him out and laying the groundwork so that he can replace Ole in a few weeks time.

3KDré

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/a...-principles-hasenhuttls-style-of-play-tactics
V interesting read for some high level tactical analysis of what he's doing. I honestly think he's a top manager in waiting - just thinking back through the reputations of the players he has when he came in (not their reputation now because he's improved them) and it's actually staggering.
The 4-2-2-2 he uses is literally perfect for us. Having Bruno and Pogba on starting sides of the pitch so we can actually have some balance, having McTominay Fred as the base 2 and Rashford and Martial uptop. We would need a right back though, if he were to come.

tomaldinho1

The 4-2-2-2 he uses is literally perfect for us. Having Bruno and Pogba on starting sides of the pitch so we can actually have some balance, having McTominay Fred as the base 2 and Rashford and Martial uptop. We would need a right back though, if he were to come.
He really improves players though so don't give up on AWB & remember we have Laird and technically Dalot as well.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
https://totalfootballanalysis.com/a...-principles-hasenhuttls-style-of-play-tactics
V interesting read for some high level tactical analysis of what he's doing. I honestly think he's a top manager in waiting - just thinking back through the reputations of the players he has when he came in (not their reputation now because he's improved them) and it's actually staggering.
Very interesting. Like Liverpool and City, once you win the ball back in the oppenents half, you try to attack with as few passes as possible.

hubbuh

Very interesting. Like Liverpool and City, once you win the ball back in the oppenents half, you try to attack with as few passes as possible.
Oh god, yes!!! For whatever reason we are far too bad at doing this on a consistent basis. Watching us in the second half yesterday was the footballing equivalent of Clockwork Orange Eyeball-Torture in how slow and laborious we were in attempting to attack the opponent.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Oh god, yes!!! For whatever reason we are far too bad at doing this on a consistent basis. Watching us in the second half yesterday was the footballing equivalent of Clockwork Orange Eyeball-Torture in how slow and laborious we were in attempting to attack the opponent.
Yea especially Pogba. He takes far too many touches and kills attacks. But the whole team was bad yesterday.