Rangnick gegenpress conference vs Palace (H)

R'hllor

That's a long post for a question. Are you asking me if I think the club can be successful with the Glazers around? The answer is of course yes as they've been here for quite a while and we've won plenty.

Like it or not, and @Adnan has posted quite eloquently on this recently and is pretty knowledgeable on the workings of the club, things are improving gradually behind the scenes. Woodward is leaving his role and football people are being put in to the roles that business people have been occupying. Rangnick being added as a consultant, and Murtaghs visit to see him a few years ago to learn, shows there's already an admiration and acceptance that things must change and I'm quite happy to believe they are.

What happened with Ole was quite unique. He was rightly offered the job after his impressive spell as caretaker and I can't criticise the club in that regard. Where they fell short was failing to identify the point which he had taken us as far as he could. In my opinion that was wavering last season but confirmed after the EL final. At that point he'd got back to back top 4 spots, something not managed since Sir Alex, and got us in a number of semi finals and lost a final. At this point I think it was clear that was as good as it got and we should have been more ruthless.

Again I can see why they didn't do that though. What really irritated me was the new contracts. That should have been left alone and was short sighted.

Ultimately the club got itself in a corner with Ole which I do feel was difficult to manoeuvre out of under the circumstances. With regards to transfers we have behaved reactively but again that's improving. Adding quality like Varane and getting Sancho, both at reduced rates, is first class business. Bringing in Ronaldo was an opportunity which I'm glad we took.

When you look at how we have been operating off the pitch it's improving at every level. It's stalled with Ole and the coaching but now that's back on track.

I see plenty to be optimistic about.
Nope

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Agreed. Solskjaer is a classy fella, a true club legend and I’ll sing his name with gusto in any ground I follow United to.

It doesn’t alter the fact that he was never, in a million years, going to usurp Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel in this league, however. He did an admirable job building our best squad since Ferguson and removed a lot of toxicity from the club, but his shortcomings on the training pitch and the touchline on matchday we’re too numerous for the type of manager we require. No shame in that and both the club and Ole will benefit from the decision to part ways.
Agreed.

Suedesi

You didn’t answer my post. If the glazers continue to meddle and dither in equal measures do you actually expect RR to do any better than any other manager? They give huge long term contracts and fire the manager months later. Their long term approval is as good as a kiss of death at this stage! They pass on Maguire for 40 million “work with what you have” and then go back in for 80 plus million 18 months later. Stuff like that. It’s reactive as hell. No vision. Great deal at 40 but never an 80 million player no matter what anyone tells you, that’s just setting him up to fail instead of making a smart deal and being proactive we are chasing as always. They just aren’t football people.

I’m as optimistic as I have been when any other manager has come in here. I just fail to see what will change if the owners don’t fully step aside from recruitment issues affer making this appointment. Up to and Including selling Martial and letting Pogba go on a free. Even buying Ronaldo last minute. Who knows if Ole really wanted him. What if RR doesn’t want him? You really think he’ll have that kind of power? The real top level stuff. The owners are committed to spending millions a week on wages and we win nothing. Let’s hope they are as committed when it comes to taking a loss on players to maintain a much more healthy balanced and competitive squad.

No more Jones or Mata deals. No more paying Pogba or DDG world class wages when they aren’t actually amongst the best in the league, let alone the world. No more being held to ransom by players that don’t really want to be here. Just common sense that hands on owners/dofs with full autonomy could see and deal with a mile off. Would that money go straight back into buying promising players then? Who knows. It’s all currently based on a glazer whim and that’s the main problem.

If we want to start winning and playing modern football then we probably need to make bigger changes than under any other manager post Fergie. Modern Coaching is only half the battle to keeping any squad happy, let alone one the size of ours. Turning over players and cutting our losses is something we’ve struggled to do repeatedly and it’s majorly holding us back. Cut the players if they won’t run. We owe them nothing. One EL with the highest paid squad in the country is an embarrassment.
I think if Woodward goes and Richard Arnold leaves footballing decisions to Murtagh + Ralf we will be in good shape. I don't blame the owners as much as I blame Ed in all this mess.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

Fine, somewhat exaggerated.

And people have been piling onto Ole for several years now, even when things were trending upward, and in the end the footy forums became so fecking overloaded with Ole that it’s made this place unbearable. In no way was this place as full of annoying de-railings under any other manager’s tenure. I would have thought people would be ready to move on by now, anything you could dream up has been said, repeatedly. And I don’t know about you, but as someone who’s followed United since the 90s, it’s grating to see all the gleeful belittling of a club legend. Some posters seem to think he was a player not good enough for the starting XI who happened to have a lucky toe-poke. Not saying that’s necessarily your take, for the record

Btw, if you don’t like disingenuous remarks maybe you shouldn’t claim Ole’s considered off limits. I’ve made my own posts pointing out my misgivings. I’m just sick of seeing every single fecking thread full of people posting this shit. I unignored this forum in the hopes it might get back to mainly being about United, but I guess I was overly eager to return.

I’ll leave it at that, because if I still come across as an unreasonable cultist then I don’t imagine anything I say or do would overturn that. Firmly behind your last paragraph.
When I refer to ‘the cult of Ole’, that’s not me saying everyone showing him support was a ‘cultist’. We all wanted him to succeed.

I won’t dissect further, we’ve veered further than necessary from the Ralf presser which was again good viewing.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ole wanted us to play from the back. Ralf wants us to keep the ball away from our goal. Yes Ralf, help us to keep the ball away from Maguire before he dribbles through his own teamates again.

criticalanalysis

Watched the whole thing. Wow. I'm thoroughly impressed even he if just spoke on very general terms.

What are we going with? Wreck it (to the opposition) Ralp? The Professor?

Hoof the ball

Didn't he meet the players today at 3pm?

I thought they'd have some footage on the United YouTube by now of him showing them gegenpressing on the 70" monitor!!

We've got one day to learn heavy fecking metal football before Sunday, ffs.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Anyone else get pissed off by how the club manipulates the fans? This guy knows feck all about the 'United Way' and our 'DNA' but they've clearly told him to drop all these buzzwords in to get us all hyped up.
He has spent the last week talking with directors, Ole and our coaches. I'd be surprised if he didn't mention it.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
That's a long post for a question. Are you asking me if I think the club can be successful with the Glazers around? The answer is of course yes as they've been here for quite a while and we've won plenty.

Like it or not, and @Adnan has posted quite eloquently on this recently and is pretty knowledgeable on the workings of the club, things are improving gradually behind the scenes. Woodward is leaving his role and football people are being put in to the roles that business people have been occupying. Rangnick being added as a consultant, and Murtaghs visit to see him a few years ago to learn, shows there's already an admiration and acceptance that things must change and I'm quite happy to believe they are.

What happened with Ole was quite unique. He was rightly offered the job after his impressive spell as caretaker and I can't criticise the club in that regard. Where they fell short was failing to identify the point which he had taken us as far as he could. In my opinion that was wavering last season but confirmed after the EL final. At that point he'd got back to back top 4 spots, something not managed since Sir Alex, and got us in a number of semi finals and lost a final. At this point I think it was clear that was as good as it got and we should have been more ruthless.

Again I can see why they didn't do that though. What really irritated me was the new contracts. That should have been left alone and was short sighted.

Ultimately the club got itself in a corner with Ole which I do feel was difficult to manoeuvre out of under the circumstances. With regards to transfers we have behaved reactively but again that's improving. Adding quality like Varane and getting Sancho, both at reduced rates, is first class business. Bringing in Ronaldo was an opportunity which I'm glad we took.

When you look at how we have been operating off the pitch it's improving at every level. It's stalled with Ole and the coaching but now that's back on track.

I see plenty to be optimistic about.
Youre actually right. You’re coming at it fully optimistic and I get it. I just been burned too many times recently. This could be the one if they really let him at it, that’s true. He’s got the steez. The fresh sound bites are always encouraging but while it’s hard to trust the process you still have to don’t you? I’ll still be here next year whatever they decide to do. We are slowly modernising and I’m happy about that. We should already be class though, we just can’t seem to put a team together no matter what we spend and we are often our own worst enemy when it comes to planning and most other football things. Recruitment mainly.

if we sold a few players and signed 2 or 3of the really top 21-26 year olds every two years to really shakeup the squad and promoted a few youth. we’d take off if one really gets going. That’s also where the next cash should go. Players like Haaland Chiesa vlahovic or Szoboszlai. Special ones who aren’t already at Madrid or Barca. then we need to find freaks for work rate and intensity to back them up but those players can be got cheap if we can spot and coach the right ones. We definitely do look to be slowly improving off the pitch. I hope we find some new leaders on it. Who are the next big U.K./Ireland players about to break through to senior at smaller clubs. Get one every year. Keep going like that. You can never go wrong with talent. If you can afford to keep turning it over you’ll hit gold eventually.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Surely not. Ulm, Hannover, Stuttgart, Schalke are all real clubs. Ulm a quite small one that had unique success due to him, but still those clubs were all absolutely traditional clubs, nothing wrong with them. He got the nickname "professor" in 1998 when he explained how his pressing/zonal marking in Ulm worked on TV and some belittled him for that antics as I said, but I think there was generally respect for his success at the time. Later on he moved to Hoffenheim, had an intermezzo at Schalke and then moved on to Leipzig. To put it poetically, the unloved genius went to the dark side in those years, and that's why many fans really turned on him.

And btw, real clubs don't exist in the Premier League, as none of the teams is really owned by a club consisting of members :devil:
Nice post! I love hearing about this stuff.
It sounds like it’s in another lifetime but I know it’s not. We’ve needed someone dogged like this to modernise us. I just hope we give him enough juice. He’s a good hire for a rudderless club like us. I have to say Red bull seem to headhunt very well in every field they get involved in but I stand to be corrected. Maybe it’s just the image they give off.

croadyman

Rangnick on Haaland
"£10m for Haaland, £10m for Mbappe, £10m for Lewandowski and £10m for Kimmich," Rangnick chuckles, pretending to flick through his notes.

This is nonsense. There is no such clause in my contract. There is little point in speculating over new players. I know what kind of player he is, but in the meantime, the whole world has realised how good the player is. The offensive players we have here, we have so many top players in the offensive department that we don't need to speak about any other player."
Yeah owning the journos in his first presser definitely gets a massive thumbs up from me

croadyman

I liked his general comments about aiming to ensure that the team has more in control in matches, and that control coming through proactivity, rather than sitting back, being passive in a defensive shape. He wants us to play how we did in the first 15 minutes of the second half where we played the game in Arsenal’s half, both with and without the ball.
Yeah he clearly wants us to have control of the majority of games, obviously I wouldn't expect to see it against City, scousers or Chelsea but against others would be progress.

Having said that I feel we COULD have a proper go at Anfield for the first time in years IF we can significantly improve our buildup play in next few months.

Ahmer Baig

After watching the press conference it is clear that he exudes confidence and has certain calmness about him. He exactly knows which areas need improvement and how he needs to improve.

On side not why would you torture yourself and watch man Utd vs Liverpool and City matches. I can only what would be going through his head after watching Man Utd games.

This thread is about RR press conference and not who had the worst press conferences. Seriously guys start a new topic on who had worst press conference from Ole, Mou or LVG and who belongs to which cult.

Reactions: roonster09

Needham

Was impressed by how he brought the press closer to his desk and answered all questions within 8 seconds of the reporter starting to speak.

RedCurry

I want to fall in love but my heart has been broken too many times before.

Redlyn

Rangnick spoke with Joel Glazer
"I had a long telephone call with Joel Glazer. I also spoke with Ole, who told me all of his insight on the team."
I bet the team part was short. "They're all
really nice lads, even Donnie. But no more than 5 mins for him, he can't handle more than that. So you were saying you prefer Green Tea?".

Newtonius

Are people expecting us to play a high pressing game on Sunday?
Nah every player in this team has been poorly coached for over 5 years and he only has one real training session would be wrong to expect miracles, not to mention fitness concerns over the winter period. Pressing isn't just about running around like headless chickens chasing the ball it has to be very well organised not only to conserve stamina but to ultimately be effective. The most important players in a pressing system aren't those that are actually pressing too its the ones behind the press, they have to cover up passing lanes and should already be moving towards a position where they can pounce if the ball isn't recovered.

Last edited:

Kaos

Nope. For all the collective wanking over his press conference and interview, he did mention that he’ll have had almost no time with the players until the next game, and even after that we’re pretty much playing every 3 days.

The fact he mentioned trying to win games first and then slowly adapt to his style of play makes me believe that he’ll be pragmatic for the first few weeks if not months.

I think we’ll have quite a few disappointed fans expecting us to play heavy metal aggressive pressing football from the onset. The first few games I wouldn’t expect to be that much different from the recent ones. I just hope the fans are patient and don’t dismiss him prematurely because we aren’t playing like Liverpool from day 1.

The Red Thinker

I honestly don't expect anything other than some tweaks in defensive transitions. You can't change jackshit in December. A game every 3 days. All Rangnick can do it make good calls on tactics, choose players that can adapt quickly to it and coach as the games go on. He will have to coach in real games.

Trex

Nope. For all the collective wanking over his press conference and interview, he did mention that he’ll have had almost no time with the players until the next game, and even after that we’re pretty much playing every 3 days.

The fact he mentioned trying to win games first and then slowly adapt to his style of play makes me believe that he’ll be pragmatic for the first few weeks if not months.

I think we’ll have quite a few disappointed fans expecting us to play heavy metal aggressive pressing football from the onset. The first few games I wouldn’t expect to be that much different from the recent ones. I just hope the fans are patient and don’t dismiss him prematurely because we aren’t playing like Liverpool from day 1.
I do to a a certain degree, I expect a higher press, we already showed it a bit against Chelsea and Arsenal, so I don't see him letting Palace take the initiative, our players aren't slugs you know, they are capable of overwhelming Palace and controlling the game

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No, we'll have one training session today, probably light given the game tomorrow.

It's the same for the next 4 games, Match - Rest day - Training - Match day. There won't be much change in how we play.

red4ever 79

I honestly don't expect anything other than some tweaks in defensive transitions. You can't change jackshit in December. A game every 3 days. All Rangnick can do it make good calls on tactics, choose players that can adapt quickly to it and coach as the games go on. He will have to coach in real games.
Agree with this. This is why the decision not to fire Ole during the International break was the wrong one. Instead we allowed Ole to go bike riding and fishing in Norway. Those 2 weeks could have been invaluable. As it is, lots of games now, not much time for recovery, training. I dont think we will see any major changes until February in our playing style.

Ralph1386

Agree with this. This is why the decision not to fire Ole during the International break was the wrong one. Instead we allowed Ole to go bike riding and fishing in Norway. Those 2 weeks could have been invaluable. As it is, lots of games now, not much time for recovery, training. I dont think we will see any major changes until February in our playing style.
If he makes the right team selections and subs that would already be progress.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Nice post! I love hearing about this stuff.
It sounds like it’s in another lifetime but I know it’s not. We’ve needed someone dogged like this to modernise us. I just hope we give him enough juice. He’s a good hire for a rudderless club like us. I have to say Red bull seem to headhunt very well in every field they get involved in but I stand to be corrected. Maybe it’s just the image they give off.
Red Bull, especially Leipzig seem to be on the decline in that regard currently. Their coaching team Marsch/Beierlorzer is maybe the worst they had since the club was founded.

But that shouldn't worry you for now, it just shows what happens when Rangnick leaves and therefore proves how valuable his influence was for them. :lol: