Rangnick presser v Norwich (A) 12:30 GMT | goes in-depth on Phelan's role

I love listening to this guy.

You feel that he actually knows what he is doing and that he will be rufless if he has to be, to ensure the best from this team.

I noticed Ole's mate has gone missing from the pressers now.
If it’s the Twitter twat. He’s actually got the nerve moaning on Twitter about a perceived double standard between Xavi and Ole… not sure if he realises that Ole was sacked after 3 years not 3 months.

NoPace

Pretty clear to me that Newcastle will go for Lingard. It's whether he rejects their approach is the question or whether Newcastles interest sparks West Ham to bid and match the offer.

Either way, I'll be staggered if Lingard remains with us. We're stacked in forward options at the moment so no issue if Martial leaves. His progress flat lined a while back.
West Ham spent 25m pounds on a 10 in Vlasic and they desperately need a backup for Antonio, a replacement for the 34 year old Noble (they've been lucky Rice and Soucek have stayed so healthy. Lanzini is contributing again and has looked alright in a deeper role, but a lot of their success under Moyes might not have happened if either of the big CMs had missed even 10-15 games at the wrong times last year and this), maybe a replacement for Ogbonna (33) though Diop has the talent and did play last week when they went to 3 at the back.

I think they're likely out of the Lingard sweepstakes if a fee is involved.

Newstyle

That’s a job to my liking. Getting heavily paid for brewing a badass tea.

NYAS

Thought it was weird while watching it that Ralf was happy to talk about what Phelan doesn’t do, as opposed to what he does, when he’s been very forthcoming about the roles of other staff members since he’s been here. Can’t see him lasting much longer, maybe Ralf’s been told to find some use for him after the contract renewal, at least until the summer.

hungrywing

So what does he actually do?
Technically, one of the interpretations is that Phelan's there, just not "hands on".

Not that no one knows where he is during on-pitch training. He's there on the sidelines instructing, just never literally 'on the pitch' and bodily illustrating concepts.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Thought it was weird while watching it that Ralf was happy to talk about what Phelan doesn’t do, as opposed to what he does, when he’s been very forthcoming about the roles of other staff members since he’s been here. Can’t see him lasting much longer, maybe Ralf’s been told to find some use for him after the contract renewal, at least until the summer.

"what's happening with them sausages Mikey?"

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Agree with this. He wants them to learn and study with the rest. Not on holiday.

Just a little im picking up from him. When he said he had a 15 min conversation with pogba, I could imagine him feeling that he should be here taking in the new instructions so he's ready when fit.
I get a really good feeling about this bloke to be honest.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
RR praising match going fans. He didn’t get the memo that match going top reds are useless and internet fans are the real deal.

wolvored

Agree with this. He wants them to learn and study with the rest. Not on holiday.

Just a little im picking up from him. When he said he had a 15 min conversation with pogba, I could imagine him feeling that he should be here taking in the new instructions so he's ready when fit.
I get a really good feeling about this bloke to be honest.
And me. Its just a jolly in the sun for them.

wolvored

Dont know whether this was mentioned earlier, but apparently he said not bothered if Pogba goes. Hes not going to ask him to stay. Only wants players willing to want to play. In that case the board should rip the contract up on the table. Hes had long enough to sign it. This just proves he wants to leave, but only if another team will offer him parity or more.

R'hllor

RR praising match going fans. He didn’t get the memo that match going top reds are useless and internet fans are the real deal.
Ah yea, regardless of reality, he should come out and say how they suck, that would do wonders for his start at the new job.

Lj82

So what does he actually do?
I've said this in other threads. Pretty sure that when Ole arrived, he gave an interview saying he got Phelen in to see to the day to day running of the club so that Ole can focus on the football side of the house. This makes perfect sense. Phelen knows the club inside out. There are many things to running the club's operations beyond just training and tactics. Mundane stuff like coordinating training timing, media, logistics etc etc etc. Makes sense for Rangnick to keep Phelen for the same job.

Teja

Obviously aimed at the Martial situation, but DAMN!! I love this

I love this guy but this sort of candor Infront of the media going to bite him at some point.

Good thing he's only here for 6mo.

RuudTom83

I love this guy but this sort of candor Infront of the media going to bite him at some point.

Good thing he's only here for 6mo.
Yes I agree, I’m loving the honesty and openness but it’s not a long term approach, especially with the English media.

I’ll be very interested to see if he changes after a bad patch of results.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Martial - 35m
Lingard - 10m

Come on Newcastle, you can do it.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Let’s be honest, he’s a pretty boring sounding guy, but I kinda love that. I don’t like to compare him negatively with Ole, cos it’s petty at this point, but one of the most frustrating things about these things previously was all the obvious Mike Bassett-esque cliches and the vague avoidance of discussing anything tactical, which was often played off on here as some sort of coy mind games, but can at least finally now be accepted as the basic platitudes they were…. So it is nice to have a guy who’ll ramble - however monotonously - about what he actually wants to implement for a change, and call out when the players aren’t doing it…

but that said, I can also readily see myself finding them hypnotically sleep inducing once the novelty of this level of intense competence wears off….

If anything he should probably smile a bit more.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Let’s be honest, he’s a pretty boring sounding guy, but I kinda love that. I don’t like to compare him negatively with Ole, cos it’s petty at this point, but one of the most frustrating things about these things previously was all the obvious Mike Bassett-esque cliches and the vague avoidance of discussing anything tactical, which was often played off on here as some sort of coy mind games, but can at least finally now be accepted as the basic platitudes they were…. So it is nice to have a guy who’ll ramble - however monotonously - about what he actually wants to implement for a change, and call out when the players aren’t doing it…

but that said, I can also readily see myself finding them hypnotically sleep inducing once the novelty of this level of intense competence wears off….

If anything he should probably smile a bit more.
The most annoying thing about Ole's press conference was his little nostalgia tour every day. Always bringing up "back when i played against them I scored that one goal". It was endearing the first week or 2... after that it just became cringey.

Daengophile

Phelan is living proof that Ole should have refreshed his coaching team.

Maybe it completely made sense to bring him in at the beginning to add some experience but the other teams in the league improved and we didn't

bringbackbebe

Ole: "Oh, you're injured - ohh so unlucky. Why don't you go have a massage in a nice resort in Dubai. We'll pay for it and when you're feeling fine, you can come back. See how nice we are? You're an invaluable player to us. Think of signing that contract extension while you're there, won't you?"

Rangnick: "We don't need you if you don't need us. Get your a** back here asap"