Rangnick's January Window

jackal&hyde

Sure we ain't loaning out all of them, but I'm sure Rangnick sees the importance of top level game time for most of them. We could only offer them minutes in the FA Cup during the next six months, and considering our draws they probably won't even get a chance there. I think he might go for a 17yo hidden gem or two as well.
I think managers in general and new, temporary managers in particular, are looking to have as many options available as possible and that's why I think it's extremely unlikely we'll see to many outgoings. The club might lose some money by losing players on a free in the summer, but that is part of the price you pay when changing managers.

hungrywing

So many big time Charlies missing the point of this thread completely. I can't find any January thread so I asked for your ideal Rangnick window and gave you mine.

Should've known you can't expect the Caf to post their own ideas instead of belittling others', to be constructive rather than destructive.
Hear hear. (OP outgoing fees do seem high, but then again, like someone pointed out in another thread, the likes of Eriksen did go for 17m in January)

I think Lingard, Pogba and Martial will be on the block, with Mata and Matic earmarked for summer departures, (but in the former's case Rangnick willing to let him go now if anyone actually makes an offer.)

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Getting a midfielder is 50/50, but I hope he reduces the size of the squad. Pogba won't leave, he has all the cards in his hand for the summer (and is injured regardless).

Hughes35

I think Lingard will go to either West Ham or Newcastle. Both need reinforcements but for different reasons. Maybe a loan for Henderson.

Ideally I'd like to see Matic and Mata leave with a new Midfielder coming in, I can't see them going though. Hopefully we go in for somebody like Bissouma I think he is somebody we could get in January if we really wanted.

Red_toad

So many big time Charlies missing the point of this thread completely. I can't find any January thread so I asked for your ideal Rangnick window and gave you mine.

Should've known you can't expect the Caf to post their own ideas instead of belittling others', to be constructive rather than destructive.
When you make a sensible thread you’ll get decent replies. You didn’t so you don’t. Stop being a big time Charlie about it and try harder next time.

hungrywing

Getting a midfielder is 50/50, but I hope he reduces the size of the squad. Pogba won't leave, he has all the cards in his hand for the summer (and is injured regardless).
Ralf: Ah yes, Paul, come in. Have a seat. How are you? How is your family? Wonderful. Good, good. Paul, I've ah..."used my network". Call up all the clubs you and Mino have been pitting against each other and would have continued to pit against each other over the coming months; you'll find that suddenly no one is willing to talk except regarding an immediate January move. Of course, you'll be able to resume whatever you two were up to after the club releases you at the end of June, but for the next six months, nada, unless you go in January. You've done well manipulating many parties whilst largely staying in a position where you can still remain 'the good guy' . Unfortunately- (Ralf indicates his desk as manager of the biggest club in the world)
Pogba: But-
Ralf: Tick tock, Paul.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sure we ain't loaning out all of them, but I'm sure Rangnick sees the importance of top level game time for most of them. We could only offer them minutes in the FA Cup during the next six months, and considering our draws they probably won't even get a chance there. I think he might go for a 17yo hidden gem or two as well.
So if you know we’re not loaning them all why do you open yourself to ridicule by naming them all?

Bwuk

Ralf: Ah yes, Paul, come in. Have a seat. How are you? How is your family? Wonderful. Good, good. Paul, I've ah..."used my network". Call up all the clubs you and Mino have been pitting against each other and would have continued to pit against each other over the coming months; you'll find that suddenly no one is willing to talk except regarding an immediate January move. Of course, you'll be able to resume whatever you two were up to after the club releases you at the end of June, but for the next six months, nada, unless you go in January. You've done well manipulating many parties whilst largely staying in a position where you can still remain 'the good guy' . Unfortunately- (Ralf indicates his desk as manager of the biggest club in the world)
Pogba: But-
Ralf: Tick tock, Paul.
Am I on RAWK?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Out:
Pogba (90m)
Lingard (40m)
Mata (10m)

That's £140m to play around with and we could go hard by spending it all on Declan Rice, using the other 5m to upgrade the leaky roof.

no i'm not being serious

Smores

I can't see massive business being done. They ain't spending huge amounts on the say of an interim so he'll probably be lucky to get another low key midfielder

RUCK4444

I can't see massive business being done. They ain't spending huge amounts on the say of an interim so he'll probably be lucky to get another low key midfielder
He has a role in the running and direction of the club for the next two years after this initial period though.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We will get a decent fee for Pogba if we can find a buyer in January. Spurs got around £17m for Eriksen and he has nowhere near the marketability of Pogba.
I can see PSG coming in big for him as they won't want Madrid getting him for free in the summer.
PSG isn't coming for Pogba and we aren't selling him in Jan. Especially when we have a CL campaign and a top 4 to do.

Smores

He has a role in the running and direction of the club for the next two years after this initial period though.
Yeah that's true to be honest i forgot all about that :D

I still think the club are in the mode of extensive scouting before committing on a player though so think this window would be too soon for huge influence.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
These will likely leave at end of the year:

Grant
Pogba
Mata
Lingard
Cavani

We're not going to sell them, cause nobody will buy them. Pogba and Lingard are still useful squad players and Cavani is arguably starting material when fit.

I think we'll just get a midfielder in January, apart from sending some kids on loan (Amad, Elanga, Mejbri).
Don't get your hopes on, the real clear out will come in the summer.

You think he doesn't fit with the new tactics or is it more of an age thing?
RR doesn't sign players over 24.

Frenkie de Jong is 24 :wenger:

jackal&hyde

These will likely leave at end of the year:

Grant
Pogba
Mata
Lingard
Cavani

We're not going to sell them, cause nobody will buy them. Pogba and Lingard are still useful squad players and Cavani is arguably starting material when fit.

I think we'll just get a midfielder in January, apart from sending some kids on loan (Amad, Elanga, Mejbri).
Don't get your hopes on, the real clear out will come in the summer.

RR doesn't sign players over 24.

Frenkie de Jong is 24 :wenger:
I don't know if that's going to work at this level.

Devil may care

We all knew the midfield was fecked before the season started and now we are going to play a much more dynamic and intense style of football we are going to need another CM in january, Matic can't play this style so at best we have 3 options for the 2 deeper roles and that's if Rangnick sees Van de Beek as a genuine option there.

Buy
Tchouameni

Sell
Lingard
Mata

Loan
Amad
Mengi

Nordmore

Realistically imo we should sell VDB and Bailly for around 50m then use that money to buy a decent DM if possible. I'd be over the moon if we sign De Jong but don't think we would.

Kaizane

I don't see where Pogba fits into this 4-2-2-2 system. He'd be wasted in the anchored pair and he won't put in the work higher up in the hybrid midfield/playmaker roles. I'd be surprised if RR isn't thinking the same and I fully expect him to be sold in January with a defence minded midfielder who has legs, brought in to share the two anchor roles with Fred and McT.

The RB area needs addressing urgently too. I feel like AWB is starting to show signs of knowing he's not good enough and Dalot has only proven to be adequate back up so far.

A good January window for me would be Pogba sold and Trippier brought in, along with an experienced holding midfielder.

golden_blunder

Staff
I really want to see him given a chance. We could sell AWB and bring laird through and we’d be better off.
I’m not saying you’re wrong but Laird hasn’t played PL football yet. Let’s not burden him with those expectations. Instead let’s have a look at him and bring him back to the squad

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’m not saying you’re wrong but Laird hasn’t played PL football yet. Let’s not burden him with those expectations. Instead let’s have a look at him and bring him back to the squad
He looks bloody good in the championship though, and loads wanted us to sign Max Aarons on the strength of just that. I just wouldn’t want us to sign another young right back before we give him a proper run in the side.

golden_blunder

Staff
He looks bloody good in the championship though, and loads wanted us to sign Max Aarons on the strength of just that. I just wouldn’t want us to sign another young right back before we give him a proper run in the side.
Agreed on that.
Personally I think Aaron’s is a bit overrated

Yagami

Good post resistant
A central midfielder is an absolute must. Ideally two, but we'll be lucky to get one.

If we don't buy one, I hope Rangnick thinks about giving Mejbri or/and Galbraith a chance. Galbraith is probably returning in January anyway and I honestly think he'd take to our first team like a duck to water.

L1nk

I’m not sure Henderson will want another loan, either he plays and stakes his claim to be our Number 1 by the end of the year and going forward into next season or he’s gone in the summer

RUCK4444

Yeah that's true to be honest i forgot all about that :D

I still think the club are in the mode of extensive scouting before committing on a player though so think this window would be too soon for huge influence.
Yeah Jan is never a good time to properly strengthen.

That said, him being here for that extra period does offer continuity that if the right player becomes available in Jan we might act on it. That’s my hope.

I hope they recognise the glaring issues we have in midfield and how much more benefitial this initial 6 month period under Ralf might be with that added midfielder in the mix. The progress will be held back to some extent if we don’t strengthen imo (because it was badly needed last summer and even more so now for this new system.)

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I want to see a new RB. It’s so critical to the system we are playing at the moment.

But we’ll buy yet another striker.

city-puma

A central midfielder is an absolute must. Ideally two, but we'll be lucky to get one.

If we don't buy one, I hope Rangnick thinks about giving Mejbri or/and Galbraith a chance. Galbraith is probably returning in January anyway and I honestly think he'd take to our first team like a duck to water.
I really like Galbraith and feel he could be a great player eventually but he seriously needs physical buildup. Unfortunately, he is out on loan so that he couldn’t feature in Youngboy game. Would like to see if he can handle PL level games.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
All quite hopeful sure, but I trust in Rangnick to be a master negotiator too.

Lingard - Newcastle?
Matic - Roma?
Mata - Qatari side sportswashing with hugs?
Pogba - PSG when Wijnaldum goes on loan?

We will get a decent fee for Pogba if we can find a buyer in January. Spurs got around £17m for Eriksen and he has nowhere near the marketability of Pogba.
I can see PSG coming in big for him as they won't want Madrid getting him for free in the summer.

They are all out of contract in the summer, it's beyond wishful thinking, they know if they hold out a few months they can get a higher wage.. that's honestly insane I mean no disrespect but why would Ragnick even be involved in negotiating exit prices?